Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-09-30, 14:33   Link #741
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And in other news ... "the uploader has not made this available in my country" (regional balkanization of the Internet for the lose)
My suspicion was that those outside UK & Ireland would get blocked, but I didn't know for sure...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 15:21   Link #742
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
My suspicion was that those outside UK & Ireland would get blocked, but I didn't know for sure...
whole of EU is blocked too, was looking forward to watching it it tho

IN other news, I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this should provide a very interesting read:

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all...ult/1314907779

Quote:
Both parties are rotten - how could they not be, given the complete infestation of the political system by corporate money on a scale that now requires a presidential candidate to raise upwards of a billion dollars to be competitive in the general election? Both parties are captives to corporate loot.

I advise anybody to read it, it might be long yes, but it is totally worth it
It includes Vexx's talk about how actual news gets sidelined for waste filled news after the 80's.

Quote:
Undermining Americans' belief in their own institutions of self-government remains a prime GOP electoral strategy...

[snip]
1. The GOP cares solely and exclusively about its rich contributors. The party has built a whole catechism on the protection and further enrichment of America's plutocracy. Their caterwauling about deficit and debt is so much eyewash to con the public. ..

[snip]

..All of these half truths and outright lies have seeped into popular culture via the corporate-owned business press. Just listen to CNBC for a few hours and you will hear most of them in one form or another.

[snip]

It is my view that the rise of politicized religious fundamentalism (which is a subset of the decline of rational problem solving in America) may have been the key ingredient of the takeover of the Republican Party. For politicized religion provides a substrate of beliefs that rationalizes - at least in the minds of followers - all three of the GOP's main tenets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
In election news,

If Palin wants to run she better announce her candidacy sometime in the next week else she will not have the time to create an adequete support base for all the primaries.
I hope she does, the more voters get divided between the loonies, the more chance somebody stands with an actual brain

Last edited by Kaze; 2011-09-30 at 15:41.
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 16:05   Link #743
Hollowgolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So looks like the outside entities of BBC and Al Jazeera continue to be a better source for analysis than the mainstream inside the US.
Russia Today is a good one, too. (rt.com)
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 16:22   Link #744
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Okay, I have a chance to catch up to what is going on with 2012 Election scene (doing CFB realignment pieces sucks, still doing it). I was going to wait until the GOP/TP comes out with a candiate but after I see this piece done by Politico about Herman Cain, I am wondering if I am brainwashed to voted Democratic.

Quote:
"Because many African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open-minded, not even considering a conservative point of view. I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open-minded, pure and simple"

He went on, "Now, the good news is I happen to believe that a third to 50 percent of the black Americans in this country, they are open-minded. I meet them every day. They stop me in the airport. And so this whole notion that all black Americans are necessarily going to stay and vote Democrat and vote for Obama, that's simply not true.More and more black Americans are thinking for themselves. And that's a good thing."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1ZTJMm4ek
I couldnt say anything about this because I wondering if this guy is crazy or something like that. I voted Democratic because I want to, not because I was brainwashed to. It isnt because I am black but because I didnt followed majority of the Reps/TP ideals from these candiates. This just sicken me to no end about that.
Old 2011-09-30, 16:32   Link #745
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
Russia Today is a good one, too. (rt.com)
I don't know ... They sometimes seem a bit too keen on Putin.

@Kaze: Great article, but your snippits don't do justice to what he says.

Fight the power WOO!
Old 2011-09-30, 16:44   Link #746
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
@Kaze: Great article, but your snippits don't do justice to what he says.

Fight the power WOO!
Well, it's a really long article, and the snippits are to present a vague image about what it could be about
Old 2011-09-30, 17:04   Link #747
Hollowgolem

Quote:
I don't know ... They sometimes seem a bit too keen on Putin.
They are.

I watch/read them for American news. Not Russian news.

And anyway, my usual strategy to figure out an issue is to look at -all- the angles from which it's covered and try to piece together a coherent picture (usually with a little of my own research).

This often ends up being a huge waste of time.

Oh well.
Old 2011-10-01, 15:19   Link #748
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I hope not, but the alternatives aren't looking promising.
Old 2011-10-01, 15:20   Link #749
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I hope not, but the alternatives aren't looking promising.
If you aren't pro-Obama but not really for anyone else

I'd just say keep 4 more years of Obama and maybe some decent candidates will pop up when he's gone.

¯\(°_0)/¯
Old 2011-10-01, 16:20   Link #750
Hollowgolem

Meh. Most of us who pay attention (I mean, really objectively analyze) the American political scene have come to the realization that until there's a fundamental change of the system, especially regarding corporate money and institutionalized brib- I mean lobbying, then nothing will get better.

That's one of the parts of Obama's message that was so attractive, and resonated with so many people: he outright promised to do what was in his power to curb the influence of lobbyists. We all see how that turned out. -_-

A mass upheaval of the system is what's needed. As a student of Roman history, however, I'm not so excited about that, since we're in a situation quite analogous to the last century B.C. there.

(Side note: Interesting that the First Century B.C. is also the Last Century B.C.)
Old 2011-10-01, 18:22   Link #751
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Obama promised to do something that he couldn't do. The president isn't powerful enough to change the entire system. Promising something he couldn't deliver is his fault, but failing to change the system is not.
Old 2011-10-01, 18:24   Link #752
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Meh. Most of us who pay attention (I mean, really objectively analyze) the American political scene have come to the realization that until there's a fundamental change of the system, especially regarding corporate money and institutionalized brib- I mean lobbying, then nothing will get better.

That's one of the parts of Obama's message that was so attractive, and resonated with so many people: he outright promised to do what was in his power to curb the influence of lobbyists. We all see how that turned out. -_-

A mass upheaval of the system is what's needed. As a student of Roman history, however, I'm not so excited about that, since we're in a situation quite analogous to the last century B.C. there.

(Side note: Interesting that the First Century B.C. is also the Last Century B.C.)
I hate self promotion, but you should really read this article:

Click

(If you already have, my bad)
Old 2011-10-01, 18:28   Link #753
Hollowgolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Obama promised to do something that he couldn't do. The president isn't powerful enough to change the entire system. Promising something he couldn't deliver is his fault, but failing to change the system is not.
I don't think anyone expected him to completely alter the culture of Washington single-handedly.

But I would have settled for taking a stand within his own administration, a promise he easily could have kept, but didn't.
Old 2011-10-01, 18:37   Link #754
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I don't think anyone expected him to completely alter the culture of Washington single-handedly.

But I would have settled for taking a stand within his own administration, a promise he easily could have kept, but didn't.
At this point, I'm not sure what could change the system. A bloody revolution would most likely be hijacked by the very same special interests we seek to excise, and thus "new boss, same as the old boss" would be in full effect.
Old 2011-10-01, 20:19   Link #755
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
At this point, I'm not sure what could change the system. A bloody revolution would most likely be hijacked by the very same special interests we seek to excise, and thus "new boss, same as the old boss" would be in full effect.
Feels like Russia.

Things change, only to stay the same.
Old 2011-10-01, 23:38   Link #756
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Rick Perry suggests US military role in Mexico drug war

That is not gonna please Mexico or the Cartels.
Old 2011-10-02, 00:12   Link #757
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Mexico I'd worry over due to international laws...the Cartels...not so much. Now if the US miliary could be used with Mexican police and military arms, then the Mexicans might have a shot at having their country back from the crime lords.
Or become the next 30 US states (plus a second federal district)......

....naw.
Old 2011-10-02, 00:29   Link #758
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or become the next 30 US states (plus a second federal district)......
... not in an Absolut World
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:42   Link #759
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
which is why i was so damn annoy when people bought his Hope and Change slogan hook, line and sinker.

i was like what the hell is wrong with you people. He can't do any of that stuff even if he want to because of the inertia in congress.
Old 2011-10-02, 00:51   Link #760
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only someone with a massive personality can derail congress right now. Problem wtih those is that they can sometimes be dangerous.

Tags
2012 elections, us elections