AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-01-13, 04:39   Link #7581
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
You're making an issue out of a non-issue, your body does it naturally, it's called bio-rhythm. When you're working theater, people commonly sleep during the day because the only time they may have to get their work done is late during the night.
I know, and it's the same for anyone who works a night-shift. However, Nagi does her things (or is supposed to, and usually does) during the day.
Old 2011-01-13, 05:38   Link #7582
leoblack9
Your fagottry, I hate it!

Quote:
A-tan’s the only one getting the healthy, recommended amount of sleep everyday
And look at her grown form now, really. If she's sleeping like that since 10 years ago then I suggest that Hina would sleep more often.

Quote:
d help A-tan with my Shirozakura if I could. ;_____;
LOL, I wonder what things you would do to help her with your "shirozakura."
Old 2011-01-13, 08:59   Link #7583
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
The body will not function if someone doesn't get enough sleep, and the Mythbusters have actually proven that lack of sleep is worse for functioning than being drunk.
Hayate, and everyone else apparently, seriously needs to either get more sleep or start getting sick more often. Once he chooses someone as his partner, they'll probably force him to sleep more often (and he's a 'not distracted by the fanservice'(trope), so it wouldn't be the 18+ 'more sleep' -_-), so maybe the cannot spit it out(trope) needs to end before he causes someone else problems.

And while Alice said that she needed the power of the blade and Hinagiku, her statement about the house seemed to indicate that she could regain power for herself and just needed the blade's power to do something else entirely, or maybe it's the cap on top, rather than just powering up by the sword.
Well, superhuman abilities apart, Hayate could very well go lone navigator style (you know, those guys (or gals) who go across the Atlantic or around the Globe, alone in a sailboat, and who for weeks only sleep in 15 min naps), with his established 1 hour of sleep, 6 or so 15 min naps are manageable I think.
Old 2011-01-13, 13:24   Link #7584
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I know, and it's the same for anyone who works a night-shift. However, Nagi does her things (or is supposed to, and usually does) during the day.
Triple Shifter. One of the examples of the trope is Kekkaishi's Yoshimori, who often falls asleep during classes and is often seen in the morning drinking coffee-flavored milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Well, superhuman abilities apart, Hayate could very well go lone navigator style (you know, those guys (or gals) who go across the Atlantic or around the Globe, alone in a sailboat, and who for weeks only sleep in 15 min naps), with his established 1 hour of sleep, 6 or so 15 min naps are manageable I think.
Um, I think the body works sleep in 1.5 hour segments, so anything shorter than that doesn't cut it in anything but the short-term. The people who 'lone navigate' long distances probably prepare by sleeping a lot and then 'cool down' by sleeping a lot, so that their body returns to normal sleep functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
And look at her grown form now, really. If she's sleeping like that since 10 years ago then I suggest that Hina would sleep more often.
>.< Have you completely missed the fact that the growth factor is hereditary, probably for both of them, though there's no comparison for Athena (yet).
I don't think there's ever been anything proven that sleep even does anything to growth, except lets you live long enough to grow fully.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 14:38   Link #7585
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Um, I think the body works sleep in 1.5 hour segments, so anything shorter than that doesn't cut it in anything but the short-term. The people who 'lone navigate' long distances probably prepare by sleeping a lot and then 'cool down' by sleeping a lot, so that their body returns to normal sleep functioning.
The body follows the circadian rhythm, and I don't think there is any "1.5 segment" in sleeping that allows the body to regulate properly. The only kind of sleeping "segments" I heard of before is the five stages of sleep, of which shifting back and forth while a person is sleeping. As I mentioned before, since our body follow the 24-hours rhythm, it will unconsciously try to get those missing hours back if we are lack of sleep which is a similar to the "cool down" period you mentioned. However, the preparation of "a lot" (more than 1 day) of sleep would not work and would not help people to stay awake since the body follows the circadian rhythm.

If people are really lack of sleep, it is a natural occurrence that their bodies would unconsciously go to sleep (without them realizing it) for about 5-10 seconds to help maintaining its function.

Studies have been done on the maximum hours a person can stay awake. I don't remember the exact number, but I believe that they stay awake for more than 10 days straight, and it took them about 1 day (or less) of sleep for their body to function normally again.

Quote:
I don't think there's ever been anything proven that sleep even does anything to growth, except lets you live long enough to grow fully.
Well, the growth hormones only secrete during the sleeping period.

Last edited by zodanhko; 2011-01-13 at 14:52.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 15:04   Link #7586
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
The body follows the circadian rhythm, and I don't think there is any "1.5 segment" in sleeping that allows the body to regulate properly. The only kind of sleeping "segments" I heard of before is the five stages of sleep, of which shifting back and forth while a person is sleeping. As I mentioned before, since our body follow the 24-hours rhythm, it will unconsciously try to get those missing hours back if we are lack of sleep which is a similar to the "cool down" period you mentioned. However, the preparation of "a lot" (more than 1 day) of sleep would not work and would not help people to stay awake since the body follows the circadian rhythm.

If people are really lack of sleep, it is a natural occurrence that their bodies would unconsciously go to sleep (without them realizing it) for about 5-10 seconds to help maintaining its function.

Studies have been done on the maximum hours a person can stay awake. I don't remember the exact number, but I believe that they stay awake for more than 10 days straight, and it took them about 1 day of sleep for their body to function normally again.
I believe I heard it from a teacher (theater department), so it doesn't hold a lot of water anyway.
And the preparation sleep does help, many within theater crews know that they're going to be working late and thus miss out on sleep time, so sleeping beforehand helps out functioning. It has to be combined with decent sleep afterwords to be effective though.
Also, it's a few extra hours of sleep for the days in advance, not a single block of time dedicated to rest (which the body does need in addition)

A few seconds isn't even long enough for the body to start anything, so falling asleep for short periods of time would do nothing except tell the person that they need to take a real sleep time, I do so constantly, and actually, it makes me feel worse, not better.

Also, Hinagiku sleeps for plenty long to allow the growth process to happen, sleeping more would not affect it.
Especially where she believes she needs the growth.

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2011-01-13, 15:41   Link #7587
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
I believe I heard it from a teacher (theater department), so it doesn't hold a lot of water anyway.
And the preparation sleep does help, many within theater crews know that they're going to be working late and thus miss out on sleep time, so sleeping beforehand helps out functioning. It has to be combined with decent sleep afterwords to be effective though.
Also, it's a few extra hours of sleep for the days in advance, not a single block of time dedicated to rest (which the body does need in addition)
The preparation for sleep only works for one day (the next day), not for the next two days or for a period of time like for the journey.

Edit: When I said, " it would not work and would not help you stay awake" from the paragraph above, I was referring to the journey.
Quote:
A few seconds isn't even long enough for the body to start anything, so falling asleep for short periods of time would do nothing except tell the person that they need to take a real sleep time, I do so constantly, and actually, it makes me feel worse, not better.
Those 10 seconds of unconsciously sleep (the body voluntarily generates despise the person's will) will help the body to a degree, but not much. Of course, due to the great amount of sleep deprivation, those people (in the experiment) still had hallucinations and such.

Quote:
Also, Hinagiku sleeps for plenty long to allow the growth process to happen, sleeping more would not affect it.
Especially where she believes she needs the growth.
I certainly agreed with you growth that is hereditary. I was just stating a relationship between growth and sleep.

Last edited by zodanhko; 2011-01-13 at 16:13.
Old 2011-01-13, 16:10   Link #7588
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
The preparation for sleep only works for one day (the next day), not for the next two days or for a period of time like for the journey.
Try it.
I use it constantly, and several days do make a difference, though it may not be noticeable the first time it's done, the extra sleep does improve functioning over a period of time.

Quote:
Those 10 seconds of unconsciously sleep (the body voluntarily generates despise the person's will) will help the body to a degree, but not much. Of course, due to the great amount of sleep deprivation, those people (in the experiment) still had hallucinations and such.
Same as above, the body needs the sustained rest to function. The few seconds the body may involuntary enter isn't even long enough to enter the second level of sleep, which is where the benefit happens. Which is why snoring is bad for you, it doesn't allow anything more than the first level of sleep, as the body has to wake up partially, preventing any actual sleep from happening.

As an aside, are we even considering what started this path anymore? Whether Nagi's sleep pattern is healthy?

Old 2011-01-13, 16:30   Link #7589
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Try it.
I use it constantly, and several days do make a difference, though it may not be noticeable the first time it's done, the extra sleep does improve functioning over a period of time.
Like Used mentioned before, sleeping extra hours over a period of time will deteriorate your health (it's a known fact), and it won't be effective for staying awake the next couple of days. And, it is very unlikely (or impossible) for someone to be able to sleep for "several days" straight unless he/she is unconscious. Our body will wake up sometimes during the day because it follows the circadian rhythm.

Quote:
Same as above, the body needs the sustained rest to function. The few seconds the body may involuntary enter isn't even long enough to enter the second level of sleep, which is where the benefit happens. Which is why snoring is bad for you, it doesn't allow anything more than the first level of sleep, as the body has to wake up partially, preventing any actual sleep from happening.
The 10 seconds (about) involuntary resting by the body/mind (when a person's really lacking sleep) is a fact I'm taking from my psychology class.

Last edited by zodanhko; 2011-01-13 at 16:45.
Old 2011-01-13, 16:46   Link #7590
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
The 10 seconds (about) voluntary resting by the body/mind (when a person's really lacking sleep) is a fact I'm taking from my psychology class.
And my statement is taken from actual talking (second-hand) with scientists who deal with this stuff, and also personal experience. Several seconds of sleep may allow the person to 'wake up' and continue to function for the short-term, but provides no lasting benefit until proper sleep is obtained.
There is multiple instances where what is taught is incorrect, in many facets of education. This is possibly a reason for most textbooks to have to put out a new addition, to correct misconceptions.

Old 2011-01-13, 16:49   Link #7591
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
And my statement is taken from actual talking (second-hand) with scientists who deal with this stuff, and also personal experience. Several seconds of sleep may allow the person to 'wake up' and continue to function for the short-term, but provides no lasting benefit until proper sleep is obtained.
There is multiple instances where what is taught is incorrect, in many facets of education. This is possibly a reason for most textbooks to have to put out a new addition, to correct misconceptions.
That's what I was trying to get cross over to you.

The mind will be forced into the state of unconscious for some seconds (without you realizing it) if you are lack of sleep.
Old 2011-01-13, 21:47   Link #7592
GlassesLady
dat apple

I'm waiting for the part where you two going back and forth about circadian rhythms or whatever has any actual applicability to a fictional manga series.

Nope, still waiting.

Anyway, let's get back to discussing the actual chapter. I wonder when they're gonna get back to the doujin plot....

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 21:48   Link #7593
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
Anyway, let's get back to discussing the actual chapter. I wonder when they're gonna get back to the doujin plot....
Hopefully not for a while. Those were a horridly boring few months.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 00:51   Link #7594
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
I'm waiting for the part where you two going back and forth about circadian rhythms or whatever has any actual applicability to a fictional manga series.
You do realize that this conversation started because of something that was related to the manga, and I even lampshaded that we'd gone off the path.
Quote:
As an aside, are we even considering what started this path anymore? Whether Nagi's sleep pattern is healthy?
Plus the statement I'd made about the characters being role models was probably the last we'd mentioned about it.

Quote:
Hopefully soon, I'm surprised this plotline has been allowed to go so long. I would have thought we'd have gotten back to the doujin plot when the year (real time) started.
Although this set-up does allow the romance side of the story to take center stage, it still feels surreal.

Old 2011-01-14, 01:10   Link #7595
mitsuganae

I too hope the doujin thread is picked up soon, or (assuming they're related) at least tied in with with Ms. Tennos's latest package of earth-shattering woe and misfortune. Hata has a story to tell, but even considering his usual glacial pace, developing a new thread and then interrupting it with another thread without tying them together before long -- well, it doesn't strike me as the best way to tell a story. Then again, this isn't Shakespeare (as my allusion to the world of poetry reminded me) . . .

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2011-01-14 at 01:22.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 01:24   Link #7596
Used Can

To be honest, the only thing I can care about the dōjinshi story is Luca. In my opinion, the rest was rather boring.

As for why the apparent change in storyline. Well, in addition to the fact that Athena scored a #2 in the popularity contest, and Hina, once again, #1 belongs to her, I can see how Athena fit into this. After all, Yozora was already using magic, we had thing whole thing about the 28th, and I doubt Luca was added there just to be Nagi's rival. All of this smells like plot, and it seems that, whenever there's plot, there's Athena.
Old 2011-01-14, 01:37   Link #7597
mitsuganae

Quote:
Well, in addition to the fact that Athena scored a #2 in the popularity contest, and Hina, once again, #1 . . .
A small part of me hopes that the storytelling wasn't dictated by such things -- but then again, who am I kidding? Whatever, if the threads are indeed related, Hata really should tie them together before too long.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 02:51   Link #7598
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
has any actual applicability to a fictional manga series..
I was only trying to lay some information regarding sleeping that I thought was inaccurate and nothing more.

Quote:
To be honest, the only thing I can care about the dōjinshi story is Luca. In my opinion, the rest was rather boring.
Same here. I don't use the word cute too often to describe a character, but I must say Luca deserves it with her behavior/personality.
Old 2011-01-14, 04:31   Link #7599
Mentar
Banned

I remember that someone (forgot who) wrote in his blog that c303 didn't offer much for Hina shippers. I don't think that I agree here, the Hina shipper in me was actually delighted about this chapter.

Why?

Because in this chapter, we finally see Hina and Hayate deal with each other nicely. No pressure, no crisis, no drama, and lookie there - things work out perfectly. Hayate is very attentive (in his professional work), Hina is surprised and appreciative. No blushing, yelling, and hitting Hayate for a change. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have these harmless fuzzies than the annoying pseudo-drama based on stupidity.

One more side-remark: If Hata truly intended to give Nagi some growth and maturity, then this chapter was a clear relapse ^_^; ... yes, it's good for some chuckles, but at THAT rate, she's never really going to grow up.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 04:56   Link #7600
Used Can

That's indeed true. And, seriously, this current arc has made me realise Nagi would work much better as a side character. I mean, she doesn't work as a lead in terms of comedy (I mean, her scenes can be funny, but not to lead a comedy manga, in my opinion), she doesn't work as a lead in terms of romance either - other characters have been developed far more than her. In fact, as I've mentioned it several times in the past, it's even debatable whether she's received any romantic development at all, and I believe she's received none. And as far as plot is concerned, she doesn't work as a lead in that. So far, that seems to be Athena's area.

Of course, there's still the butler and his master theme; that has indeed got developed throughout the series, and Nagi has actually matured. But, has she got to have female lead status for that? I mean, she could definitely count as a main character considering the manga's main theme, but I don't think she works as the lead.

Naturally, this is just my opinion.

Tags
comedy, shounen