AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-20, 21:28   Link #761
MikoKikyo

Full Metal Alchemist. I tried... I watched a lot of episodes while finding it so-so (I was bored) then after watching some 30 episodes I gave up.

And Bleach, though I only tried the first ep. That one ep though REALLY turned me off, it was just one anime cliche after another, very boring, very unoriginal, and silly.
Old 2008-08-20, 22:15   Link #762
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Ok...I'm kinda like a mecha guru and I'm a few years shy of being double your age so I'm not gonna open my can of mecha whoop^^, but you haven't watched enuff mecha if you have never seen an episode that focuses on the mecha technology or the mecha itself as a centric aspect of the episode...Gundam is filled with this, EVA is filled with this, so much more it's hard to count...Even something as benign as FMP's whole scenerio is spawned from the data to use the mecha...

Code Geass on the other hand, except for some early eps about Suzaku's Lancelot hardley features anything beyond a few lines here or there that have anything to do with mecha-centric aspects...

TTGL i'd say is the first mecha show I've ever watched that created a mecha show within the landscape of shonen-fighter sensibilities...So it is indeed a unique creation and a great show asthetically...
Full episodes of technological focus in Gundam and EVA? At the very most, there were short explanations of certain weapons or technologies, but it's not unlike explanations of weapons, skills, powers, magicks, etc. and their ramifications in other action series...

Code Geass, being the Sunrise that it is, introduces new weapons and technologies on a regular basis, in addition to more important mechs and relevant lol: Lancelot, Guren, Fleia, etc.

Gurren Lagann's focus never was on the mech; Gainax was simply following its example from its previous hot-blooded over-the-TOP series, as mecha are simply more epic and larger on several scales.
Old 2008-08-20, 22:43   Link #763
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Let me scale back my point somewhat...Perhaps I was a bit too hasty with using the word "entire" in my first post...What I mean are episodes that examine aspects of the mecha in a detailed way or in a way that makes it more centric to the episode (or is a foundation for the show itself)...In my comparison with Code Geass I'm saying that CG has almost no centric view of the mecha in comparison to a good deal of shows in the mecha genre...Gundam in which I've seen every series has loads of mecha-centric kinds of eps and in-addition many elements of non-specific mecha-centered episodes that deal heavily in the technology or technobabble so to speak...Code Geass on the other hand almost features no depth in-terms of this aspect accept for a few instances, but even then it's really on a superficial level...Classic style over substance development...In CG mecha are more the spice than anything else...It's not really even an item on the dinner plate other than serving some superficial if not highly entertaining flavors...

As for this point:

Quote:
Contrary to what you would believe if you read through rants against the mecha "genre", the appearance of mecha rarely impacts the story of an anime or its presentation
I don't know how much you've seen but I can't agree even slightly with this...I can't even really describe it since I've seen so much, it's just an internal reaction that you'll have to find with the more you watch...It's honestly pretty much the total opposite in my experience with this genre...Code Geass is one of the rare series that bucks this rule...I mean if you think the appearance of mechas in mecha rarely impacts the stories in the countless shows in this genre, only watching more can be the remedy...
Old 2008-08-21, 04:29   Link #764
suki-gin
AnimeSuki Lurker

Send a message via AIM to suki-gin Send a message via MSN to suki-gin
Hate is to strong of a word but, I have not managed to get into the idea of watching Code Geass just yet...
Old 2008-08-21, 20:27   Link #765
Strahan

Alot of people seemed to like Seto no Hanayome, and I did at first, but toward the end I just lost interest and couldn't even finish it. It got way too goofy, just couldn't put up with it. If they had kept the tenor of the first couple episodes I'd have been happier.

I also dislike just about anything mecha. Closest I get to mecha is Bubblegum Crisis. Well, I did like Full Metal Panic but that show seemed more character driven than mecha combat centric.
Old 2009-11-23, 18:22   Link #766
Oppius
Banned

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It just boring but people love it.
Old 2009-11-24, 20:03   Link #767
GreatTeacherKen

I wouldn't say I absolutely hate it since the animation is exceptional, but I admittedly could never stand Furi Kuri (FLCL), largely for the reasons most people love it. I found it way too fast paced for my liking.
Old 2009-11-24, 22:12   Link #768
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I wouldn't say I absolutely hate it since the animation is exceptional, but I admittedly could never stand Furi Kuri (FLCL), largely for the reasons most people love it. I found it way too fast paced for my liking.
Definitely a love it/hate it show.
Old 2009-11-25, 14:42   Link #769
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Alot of people seemed to like Seto no Hanayome, and I did at first, but toward the end I just lost interest and couldn't even finish it. It got way too goofy, just couldn't put up with it. If they had kept the tenor of the first couple episodes I'd have been happier.
I managed to get tired of that show early and thus never bothered finishing, but I am constantly surrounded by people who claim it as the "best comedy ever" or something close to that degree.
Old 2009-11-25, 19:21   Link #770
Autumn Demon
~

So many, but clannad/kanon are the biggest, and their popularity annoys me.
Old 2009-11-25, 19:29   Link #771
Kohana

One Piece to me is pretty annoying, just because of the storyline.. I'm a big graphics freak and I don't really like the style of art. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge.
Old 2009-11-25, 19:31   Link #772
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Full metal alchemist and Bleach.
Old 2009-11-25, 20:39   Link #773
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
One of my list is Monster, for some reason, people just don't like complex stories.
On a side note, I don't like cliche shows that everyone else does like Soul Eater and Fairy Tail.
Old 2009-11-25, 21:39   Link #774
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I cannot really stand the Nanoha franchise, hot blooded action with magical girls kicking the snot out of each other is no fun when you have flat characters, generic looking designs and the main character always being in the right and never in the wrong. "Befrinding people with superior firepower" is not my thing.
Old 2009-11-25, 21:43   Link #775
Oppius
Banned

I hate to say same things over and over again but I really, really hated School Days. I also hate when people say "best harem show ever made" just because the hero died. Saying like that as much as saying Big Rigs: over the Road Racing is the best racing game because you are not racing at all but instead you reversed your truck faster than speed of light, falling from bridges, leave the track and fly to the infinity, drive through buildings and etc.

People say that I'm overreacted because I hated it but SD is a crap that people loves because of its crappiness.
Old 2009-11-25, 22:18   Link #776
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
I also hate when people say "best harem show ever made" just because the hero died
.......people......actually say that?

I just read a blog on all the SD episodes......and I'd call it the "worst harem show ever made"........except that special place is reserved for Love Love.

But yeah, School Days is pretty bad. The only good thing about it was
Spoiler:

And even THAT is tragic because of her state of mind. I wanted to cry for her....and I didn't even actually watch the anime!!
Old 2009-11-25, 22:25   Link #777
Nosauz

See school days is just a terrible harem, whereas Asura cryin actually makes you want the harem end so bad, not to mention seitokai no ichizon, which is probably my favorite harem in hte past 5 years.
Old 2009-11-26, 05:00   Link #778
Altima
Claymore # 48

I think that the whole Dragonball universe was way overrated as was Evangelion.
Old 2009-11-28, 13:57   Link #779
dasrune
smh

bacanno. too many characters being introduced with not much back story on any of them and the constant time jumps were obnoxious. for me it felt like it was one big mess with no real direction taking place. if i read the manga i would probably have a better grasp on what was happening giving me a better appreciation for the anime, but for now i really dont understand why so many people hold it in such high regards.
Old 2009-11-28, 19:05   Link #780
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrune View Post
if i read the manga i would probably have a better grasp on what was happening giving me a better appreciation for the anime, but for now i really dont understand why so many people hold it in such high regards.
Baccano! started its life as a light novel, not a manga.

And from what little I've seen, the author of the novel also uses a disjointed, multiple-viewpoint, time-skipping style of storytelling.

Just a qualification, not challenging you or nuthin'.

Goes and rage on how horrible it is that people dare hate on Baccano! :P
Closed Thread