AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-07, 19:32   Link #7961
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

GSL actually motivated me to sleep much earlier so I can wake up to watch the good matches.
It really fucks with my schedule when they do early boardcast with a match that I want to watch: since its impossible for me to stay up then wake up in 2 hrs to watch the 2nd set.

Man, IEM getting all the hype as its the only HotS server running. Watched MVP vs stephano early in the morning and the proxy reaper rush reminds me a lot of early-WoL IEM where terrans just spam reapers vs zerg.

Sure they do a lot less dmg, but they pretty much have free reign over your drones until you can get a queen out: and by that time MVP had almost enough reaper to kill off the queen: good thing stepahno made like 20 lings to respond to those 4 reapers.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 21:05   Link #7962
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

My response to everything - More zerglings!

Last edited by Hooves; 2013-03-07 at 21:28.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 23:36   Link #7963
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
My response to everything - More zerglings!
No! Destructable rocks!
in IEM Someone accidentally right click on the new rocks (in place of neutral depots) and their reaper shot at it instead of jumping down.... causing him to lose his reaper and the game...
Old 2013-03-08, 00:17   Link #7964
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Noob question here, but how comes i have never seen a terran player who uses battle cruises? They were such a powerful unit in SC1... I used to mass them back then
Old 2013-03-08, 00:26   Link #7965
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Starcraft is about time and cost effectiveness. Battlecruisers have neither. If it arrives too late and you get wiped out, it is useless. If you win a battle but waste too much resources, you will die.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 00:30   Link #7966
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only times I see BCs are in very long games, silly games (saw it once where it was BC defense verses Sunken Colony/Spore Colony rush cheese. Neither player wanted to win that match because they didn't want to face the next guy in the semifinals, but wanted to lose to face the easier guy), or Total Biscuit's battlecruiser "cheese" build (2 BCs in less than 8 minutes), which is techically not cheese as he has the ability to still defend, but it is weird enough to sometimes work if they don't know its coming.

The are powerful, but zerg flyers can bring them down cheaply and Protass have ways to nuetralize them. Usually, if you are making a BC, you can do everything you need to do cheaper with more of something else.
Old 2013-03-08, 00:32   Link #7967
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Starcraft is about time and cost effectiveness. Battlecruisers have neither. If it arrives too late and you get wiped out, it is useless. If you win a battle but waste too much resources, you will die.
Aren't they like super powerful units? why not mass produce them and then do some good micro to keep them alive?

I just hate it that all I see are zerg players everywhere and all of the zerg's units are actually used in game. Isn't it a serious design flaw when battle cruises are not cost effective to be used in a match?
Old 2013-03-08, 00:35   Link #7968
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Aren't they like super powerful units? why not mass produce them and then do some good micro to keep them alive?

I just hate it that all I see are zerg players everywhere and all of the zerg's units are actually used in game. Isn't it a serious design flaw when battle cruises are not cost effective to be used in a match?
Well the thing is that the BCs are the end of the tech tree. Merely sinking resources into just the ability to build BCs puts you at a disadvantage.

Also, Battlecruisers are slow so even if you get a few out, your base will be in ruins even if you can keep them alive.

And as for it being a flaw, I'm not qualified to comment, but I think Terran is just badly designed.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-03-08, 00:38   Link #7969
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Usually one doesn't have time to deploy BCs. To do so usually means you have to play defensively, and compeditive Starcraft 2 doesn't let you do that very often.

Just like how you would almost never see Protass Carriers used in a match. I think I only saw them used once in a massive formation, and that was only because they's been fighting for like half and hour or more in a ground fight and the opponents defenses were set up to handle a ground war...not masses of fighters.

In Starcraft (1) I use to play defensively with Terran all the time. I got at least reasonably good at hold off Zerg with bunkers, towers, and tanks until I could produce masses of BCs and Valkeries to go hunting. It took a lot to stop a ball of 8 BCs with 8 Valks in support.
Old 2013-03-08, 00:44   Link #7970
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
The keyword here is "too late". The opponents don't stand there waiting for you to mass produce them.
Old 2013-03-08, 00:50   Link #7971
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Well I think it is a serious design flaw when certain units, such a BCs are never used in competitive game play. The same goes for protos' carriers... The zergs are over used and all of their units are utilized... but certain protos or terran units are almost always excluded. No wonder SC2 is actually a zerg fest.
Old 2013-03-08, 01:01   Link #7972
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

There are always going to be units that are suboptimal in any metagame. What's important is that each unit has a certain niche. This is just something only experienced players can understand.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-03-08, 01:06   Link #7973
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You almost never see Ultralisks.
Old 2013-03-08, 01:19   Link #7974
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Actually I do see ultralisks pretty frequently; mostly against Terran players.
Old 2013-03-08, 02:11   Link #7975
Who

Ultralisks are brutal especially if you can trade an air army efficiently with a Terran player and most of their barracks are invested into reactors.

But with the bio-hellion into bio tank styles lately, going ultra is riskier unless you have a advantage going into Hive tech
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 03:25   Link #7976
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You almost never see Ultralisks.
Actually, ultralisks are pretty common in all 3 matchups. You don't see BC's cos they are hard-countered way too easily for their cost. vikings for terran, voids for toss (now tempests counter them REALLY hard), and corruptors for zerg. They used to be deployed late-game tvt back in the day to break tank sieges.

Quote:
Well I think it is a serious design flaw when certain units, such a BCs are never used in competitive game play. The same goes for protos' carriers... The zergs are over used and all of their units are utilized... but certain protos or terran units are almost always excluded. No wonder SC2 is actually a zerg fest.
carriers have found their way into the sky-toss metagame. Another factor is, until and unless terrans are faced with an unwinnable strategy (which they haven't ever been) there is no need to change the current metagame, especially considering BC's are at the very end of the tech tree. Case in point: ravens. It took SO long for these awesome units to be used, and only now with HoTS are they being used more. and while zergs are winning now, historically im pretty sure they're the weakest race by win %. I remember when WoL came out, zergs were getting steamrolled. Now, again with HoTS zergs are getting steam rolled. The metagame is volatile

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2013-03-08 at 03:44.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 06:18   Link #7977
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Same reason why Carriers aren't arriving either... costs too much, takes too long to make 'em.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 06:54   Link #7978
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Same reason why Carriers aren't arriving either... costs too much, takes too long to make 'em.
White-Ra might disagree
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 14:38   Link #7979
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

White-Ra is a special case, with "Special tactics"
Old 2013-03-09, 17:52   Link #7980
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Didn't really see any major skytoss game in the IEM matches that I managed to catch.

Void vs Carrier vs Tempest seem to all fill a somewhat "similar" role.

Carriers still does decent damage and interceptors can be use to confuse the AI: I think the main problem with carriers would be how their attacks scale. Unless you start off with a skytoss build off the bat (is it possible in HotS?), you are most likely going to be behind on upgrades with carrier attack vs enemy armor, which is one giant window of vulnerability while you catch up on upgrades.

Voids with the photon overcharge seem to just melt away armored units, I think voids will be the staple unit vs armor.

Tempest seem rather "slow". I think we are to get 1 or 2 of those and use them against siege lines or against broodlords to push the opponent back. Not a unit to rely too much on when defending (ie: if I am behind?) as carriers probably will still do more damage. I wonder if their amazing range will eventually be used by protoss players to snipe key units like infestors or ghosts.

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows