AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2010-12-18, 02:34   Link #61
kona~chan
ヘタレ

for me only submarine ending left
can someone just spoill me what happened in submarine ending?
is it simmiliar to knife and axe ending or not?

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 04:08   Link #62
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
for me only submarine ending left
can someone just spoill me what happened in submarine ending?
is it simmiliar to knife and axe ending or not?
Submarine ending is a lot better if you get it BEFORE the Safe ending. It just features everyone dying horribly.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 09:07   Link #63
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
One is, as usual in Uchikoshi's stories, that there's a glaring paradox.
Which of Uchikoshi's other stories have glaring paradoxes?

Reposting my opinion on 999 from the Remember11 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
999 has been released in English now, and we can see what Uchikoshi is like when he's working alone. People seem to like it, with the average vndb rating being 8.80. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I still rated the game an 8/10 because it definitely amused me, but I can't say it's a masterpiece.

Someone in this thread was complaining about a lack of consistency in R11, but I never felt such problems in R11. In 999 though...there's just too much that doesn't make sense. I won't list all of my problems with the story here, just check this thread for some of them.

But worse than the fact that there's some minor plotholes...is the total lack of originality in 999. You can describe over half of 999 by just describing it as 'Ever17 meets Killer Queen. Now, I haven't played much of Killer Queen (so there'll only be early game spoilers), so there might be more stolen elements, but I'll list what I've found here:
Killer Queen
Spoiler:

Naturally, the Ever17 section contains major spoilers.
Ever17
Spoiler:

Taking this into account, if I had to judge which of the two is the better writer...Remember11 may not have been what you all wanted it to be, but at least it didn't consist for 50% of "I've seen this before" situations.

The only thing that actually pleasantly surprised me in 999's ending was
Spoiler:

I don't mind getting an ending that isn't what I expected it to be. In fact, I'd much rather have that than an ending that is EXACTLY what I expected it to be.

Uchikoshi was playing it safe in 999. I suppose there were enough people who liked it...but no, I think that a writer should always try new things, even if it means running the risk of severely disappointing/angering the fanbase.
As for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Finally finished this game. After reading other people's impressions, I only have one question:

Spoiler:
To my understanding,
Spoiler:
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 10:41   Link #64
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Which of Uchikoshi's other stories have glaring paradoxes?
Spoiler:

Also.

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-18, 14:56   Link #65
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Spoiler:
That's an interesting question to ask. It's a more complicated version of what I've already explained about 999 on another board.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-18, 16:06   Link #66
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I still can't find this game in my local store. Of course it hasn't been released in EU yet. ANd there's no release date for EU either.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 16:29   Link #67
VDZ

Aksys does not have the rights to release 999 in the EU, and I haven't heard anything about any plans from them to obtain those rights. Aksys hasn't released anything in the EU (aside from Wiiware and other downloadable games, seems to be a rights loophole) because they never acquire the rights to EU releases. The only hope for a EU release is for a different publisher to become interested in publishing it in the EU.

The DS isn't region-locked, though, so you can import the game.
Old 2010-12-18, 18:32   Link #68
ramengud

Quote:
999 has been released in English now, and we can see what Uchikoshi is like when he's working alone. People seem to like it, with the average vndb rating being 8.80. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I still rated the game an 8/10 because it definitely amused me, but I can't say it's a masterpiece.

Someone in this thread was complaining about a lack of consistency in R11, but I never felt such problems in R11. In 999 though...there's just too much that doesn't make sense. I won't list all of my problems with the story here, just check this thread for some of them.
Well, at least 999 is much better than Uchikoshi's other game 12 riven. In 12 riven, Even before reaching the true end you can almost predict everything correctly and almost there was no more element of surprise. I also did not like most of the tricks employed in 12 riven.

At least I enjoyed 999 as much as I enjoyed R11. The only problem I have with 999 is that it is very much just a copy of Ever 17, though I find Ever 17 to be the best of the infinity series.

As for R11, it was a good ride, though I have to read other sources since I coundn't figure out may things. It was definitely good and it could have been made better with one more ending.

As for I/O, I have read in some Chinese forums, that it is as good as R11 or better based on their reviews. Though I couldn't find a Chinese translation of it myself, so I haven't played it myself.
ramengud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 12:46   Link #69
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

@VDZ

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-31, 13:15   Link #70
Sides

Some of you might still remember aksys' ask question to chunsoft and staff campaign, now the answers are up on aksys homepage for 999.
Not sure if a direct link works, because of cookie and age verification, but here is the link anyway. If it doesn't work, just click on "answers", on the far right, after you verified your age.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 16:12   Link #71
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Haven't read all of it, but there's some kind of new information in there....Like for example, Ace's past with Gordain's game ;(

It's nice to see that he got some development I mean, his development seems lacking for me compared to the others

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 20:03   Link #72
MidoriHiME

I wish I'd played this game before Ever17, because then it would have been awesome and exciting. I didn't, so it failed to be an epic mind****. Anyway, here are my thoughts on the game and some questions:

Spoiler for 999 & Ever17:

It was a good game, but it could have been better. I'm still looking forward to the sequel, though. Now I need another visual novel to play...maybe it's time to actually play F/SN?
Old 2011-09-21, 20:09   Link #73
Undertaker

How's this game connect to Ever 17? I keep hearing it and that made me interested but is there anything special connecting these two games?
Old 2011-09-21, 20:22   Link #74
MidoriHiME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
How's this game connect to Ever 17? I keep hearing it and that made me interested but is there anything special connecting these two games?
The director of this game (Kotaro Uchikoshi) is one of the main writers of Ever17. The games themselves have no connection, but there are definitely similarities. They're so similar I'd say 999 is practically an Infinity series title with puzzles.
Old 2011-09-21, 21:08   Link #75
Undertaker

Ah...

I know the directer were the same, but for some reason Ever 17 keep popping up as comparison when there are other Infinity tile around.

So it's basically nothing except the two title have eerily similar feel to them then. In that case I might pass this one. Ever 17 and other Infinity titles were pretty good, but to me they are games that you have to be in a certain mood to play them and right now I'm not in that mood.
Old 2011-09-22, 00:37   Link #76
MidoriHiME

I think Ever17 comes up when comparing infinity titles because it's the Infinity title most people have played. As for it and 999...it's not really an eerily similar feel, but certain things that happen are very reminiscent of Ever17. In fact, and I've seen this mentioned before, but the pacing and feel is probably closer to Remember 11, if you've played that. It's a brutal murder-mystery of sorts, not a let's eat chicken sandwiches for hours and then have something interesting happen sort of game. Itdoes have the same sort of pseudo-science and psychological mess-with-your head type of conversations as the Infinity series, though. So I guess you do have to be in the mood for that sort of thing. I'd still recommend it, though, as it does have a pretty interesting story and the puzzles can be kinda fun (except when you're doing them for the 4th or 5th time).
Old 2011-09-22, 04:39   Link #77
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriHiME View Post
I wish I'd played this game before Ever17, because then it would have been awesome and exciting. I didn't, so it failed to be an epic mind****.
But if you had played 999 before, it would've ruined the experience of Ever17. I think it's preferable having the 999 experience ruined to having the Ever17 experience ruined.

Quote:
Now I need another visual novel to play...maybe it's time to actually play F/SN?
Steins;Gate is close to release. I'm reading it now, and it's fucking awesome. I really recommend it.

Quote:
The director of this game (Kotaro Uchikoshi) is one of the main writers of Ever17. The games themselves have no connection, but there are definitely similarities. They're so similar I'd say 999 is practically an Infinity series title with puzzles.
Except each of the Infinity games is pretty different from each other, while 999 is just similar to Ever17. I'd sooner call it an Ever17 rip-off than an Infinity title.

Quote:
Itdoes have the same sort of pseudo-science and psychological mess-with-your head type of conversations as the Infinity series, though.
Oi, the Infinity series uses valid science; the 'fiction' part only comes in at parts not yet explained by current science. It's not comparable to 999's pseudo-science, where stories that have been clearly disproved in the past are used as anecdotes that would lead to questionable conclusions based on a flawed and/or weak theoretical basis. Basically, what they explain to you in the Infinity series might not actually be impossible, whereas 999's "science" is just plain made-up bullshit.
Old 2011-09-22, 14:22   Link #78
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Europe won't get it? I know region-related issues are something that won't go away, but it always sucks hearing that some region has no access to the game because of region locking and import issues. This is why piracy, hacking and illegal patch teams are born. (Well, aside from greediness, y'know.)

Aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Agreed that there were several flaws in it such as the fact that whilst the endings differ in nice ways, each path would hit up several rooms over and over, and to get all endings without an FAQ, most people would have to play it at LEAST 6 times. They'll definitely try many times more because there's only one precise way to reach the true ending. Skipping text and playing through the same puzzles did become tedious the 4th or 5th time through.

Overall though, the characters were fun and it was enjoyable.
Old 2011-09-22, 17:46   Link #79
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Europe won't get it? I know region-related issues are something that won't go away, but it always sucks hearing that some region has no access to the game because of region locking and import issues.
Nintendo DS is region-free. (Enjoy it while it lasts; the 3DS is region-locked, so future Nintendo handheld releases will no longer be importable.)
Old 2011-09-22, 18:15   Link #80
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Nintendo DS is region-free. (Enjoy it while it lasts; the 3DS is region-locked, so future Nintendo handheld releases will no longer be importable.)
I'm aware of all that, I've got a 3DS myself. My impossible wish is that there just wasn't region crap.

But y'know, that's never gonna happen.