3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-16, 01:17   Link #61
Shadow X
Stargazing

Holy, 10/10!

I am so damn sad seeing Yurin die even though I am already prepared for it.
Old 2012-01-16, 01:22   Link #62
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
My take on it was that it was because he knew Decil at all, hated him or not. I'm guessing there was a severe psychological difference between shooting a faceless UE and shooting a UE you know is being piloted by another human, whether he hates that person or not.
In addition, I have a feeling he did it because Decil was a young kid that's only half his age. He might have been less merciful if he was an adult. He may have even attributed it to "child soldier being brainwashed" into his way of life thing.
Old 2012-01-16, 02:48   Link #63
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

They never knew the other UE grunt MS are piloted by people (actually even WE the viewers still don't know for sure) plus throughout the series they've been trying to show that image that UE aren't human and make them robotic, so Flit won't feel anything about killing the grunts. OTOH you can't have the protagonist who yell "life aren't toys!" and then have him KILL someone on the next breath, this just won't fly with the current pacifism style writing. Especially with an even younger kid than the protagonist whom the protagonist knows.

All of the writing is done in keeping the protagonist pure and innocent, like I said very little writers currently are able to tackle the dilemma of taking life to save life or try to rationalise small sacrifice for the greater good (they aren't even willing to sacrifice one life/kill one bad guy for millions in most anime), not even UC side stories can deal with this like we used to get with say, Tomino shows where the protagonists are much more realistic in their thinking (I won't actively murder you, but if you come at me with a weapon and as a soldier I also won't show mercy), which is a REAL shame when it comes to writing war stories especially for a franchise like Gundam.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 04:05   Link #64
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Rosebits? LMAO...I almost looked at the side of the screen waiting for the ATK and DEF points-Box from the monster Mai summoned^^...Thought Yurin's MS was pretty ridiculous (even for Gundam) if I'm being honest...Then Desil only needed her to be an audience member in her own private IMAX movie of "Fast Blue Gundam"....I guess all the backstory of her adopted father (Cap'n Crutch) and the reason she was chosen to be the MS pilot will wither away with the fumes of her pink explosion...It's fine really because this ep had major action ownage, so forget the road less traveled...

That's what i'm bout at this point and i gotta admit watching Flit go into overdrive verses Desil was pretty cool if not visual fruit punch...The Gundam's knee-joint pistol continues to be a small treat for me, and while the X-rounder power isn't really well conceived from an animation standpoint (The thick green wall as opposed to a NT flash), Flit dodging those final bit attacks made it all worth it...

Moving back to the Unhumans, I thought it was somewhat cheap to have them throw up a videoscreen to let the audience know they had been examining the Gundam the whole series, as if...I too am awaiting what lies they'll spin to explain their existence next week...However it seems the end boss might finally introduce a sorely needed MA into the mix...

Overall what this was for me was a very enjoyable rainbow soaked solar explosion of cool colors and amp'd up animation that was better here than at any point in the series...Sometimes anime just has to be that, and for that (and for the sake of a small amount of Afghani K*sh) I award it a 7/10, just like last week... &)
Old 2012-01-16, 04:22   Link #65
~Destiny~
Tra La Laaaa~

Send a message via MSN to ~Destiny~
Im gonna be pretty bummed if they end up killing a heroine for every generation
Old 2012-01-16, 04:40   Link #66
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Destiny~ View Post
Im gonna be pretty bummed if they end up killing a heroine for every generation
You mean killing off the more likeable heroine, right?
Old 2012-01-16, 05:15   Link #67
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That talk between Don Boyage and Grodek seems to imply that Yark Dole had blueprints from the old, buried mobile suits though...
Sure, but it doesn't mean that these blueprints are what the UE uses for their own mobile suits. Yark Dole is supposed to be an arms dealer after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Otherwise why would Yark drop off the Zeda at Mardonna's old shop to have it tuned up? If he intended to destroy the shop he could've but he didn't. The Zeda only activated (which I think was remote) when the gig was up. He must've done it because they don't have the tech to do it.
They (or maybe Desil specifically) could've done it to lure Flit out. After seeing the G-Exes, the UE probably can guess that Madorna made it. And since the UE mobile suits are so different from any other mobile suits, Madorna would've had to do some research and find out about the UE, thus calling Woolf.

And really, the reason they gave to have Madorna work on it: to improve performance, doesn't seem like a necessity when all the Federation mobile suits can't really do much against the UE. Even the Titus was having some difficulty with it, and Desil was actually disappointed with Flit's performance and had the UE suit retreated.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 06:06   Link #68
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
i can't wait for the Plerin/Purin and Plerin/Purin 2's in gen 3!

if anything, it would be fucking hilarious if Yurin returned in gen 2, brainwashed like Chara Soon to troll Asem and Flit, how would that be for a plot twist?
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 07:06   Link #69
abc0716

*Inserts the famous 'Noooooooo' voice* (Not really remember the origin)

Ehem, well this is already expected to happen (the death of Yurin) anyway, pretty much similar with Lalah's death on Gundam 0079.

Despite the cliches, but it's still a fine episode to watch. Hoping the next arc (generation) will better than this, eventhough the battle of Ambat (Solomon / A Baoa Qu?) haven't finish yet....

Rating: 7/10
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 09:44   Link #70
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

That was one of the best episodes in the franchise for me! Epic is an understatement, I would say. Gets a 10 from me.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:47   Link #71
extend

I'm really a big 24 fan that most of the times I always think that things could have gone differently if Jack Bauer was there. I know he'd kill Desil for sure. I am starting to like Flit's development as a character. It's making me want to see more of him being the main character rather than being replaced by his son sooner.
extend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 11:02   Link #72
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
i can't wait for the Plerin/Purin and Plerin/Purin 2's in gen 3!

if anything, it would be fucking hilarious if Yurin returned in gen 2, brainwashed like Chara Soon to troll Asem and Flit, how would that be for a plot twist?
geez only way could as of now maybe if they had piece of yurin's dna or sample of her to clone to remake likeness of her for 2nd gen part?

yea give she now "gwen stacy"/flay of age for yurin.

oh boy wonder how DUB will do on it someday.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 11:24   Link #73
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
They never knew the other UE grunt MS are piloted by people (actually even WE the viewers still don't know for sure) plus throughout the series they've been trying to show that image that UE aren't human and make them robotic, so Flit won't feel anything about killing the grunts. OTOH you can't have the protagonist who yell "life aren't toys!" and then have him KILL someone on the next breath, this just won't fly with the current pacifism style writing. Especially with an even younger kid than the protagonist whom the protagonist knows.

All of the writing is done in keeping the protagonist pure and innocent, like I said very little writers currently are able to tackle the dilemma of taking life to save life or try to rationalise small sacrifice for the greater good (they aren't even willing to sacrifice one life/kill one bad guy for millions in most anime), not even UC side stories can deal with this like we used to get with say, Tomino shows where the protagonists are much more realistic in their thinking (I won't actively murder you, but if you come at me with a weapon and as a soldier I also won't show mercy), which is a REAL shame when it comes to writing war stories especially for a franchise like Gundam.
Which is BS because what about all those UE grunt suits and the ships?

It's exactly how that SEED engineer said it to Kira, "What about those other guys you've killed?"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 11:48   Link #74
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

It's exactly how that SEED engineer said it to Kira, "What about those other guys you've killed?"
The problem with the grunts is we still have no proof that they are anything more than remotely controlled units. They may have had some pilots and the ability to be piloted, but it's pretty ambiguous.
Old 2012-01-16, 14:53   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

"Kira mode activated!"
Old 2012-01-16, 15:29   Link #76
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The problem with the grunts is we still have no proof that they are anything more than remotely controlled units. They may have had some pilots and the ability to be piloted, but it's pretty ambiguous.
Possibly but it doesn't matter because there's no way he would know the machines were being piloted or not and he's "killed" dozens before meeting Decil. He probably senses Decil because of his physical interaction with him just like with Yurin.

I mean that scene with Titus charging in he just bulldozed through 3 UE suits with no remorse.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 15:35   Link #77
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Overall, this was a good episode with regards to pacing, action, pink explosions, drama (if only I'd have bought it). Definitely a pretty solid episode as a standalone, ignoring what happened before, and it was enjoyable to watch. My favorite part was Emily taking action- and not with regards to Flit, but to fight her part of the war, doing what she can. Good to see her being worthy heroine material.

I went into this episode wondering mostly, if I would care about Yurin's fate. Unfortunately, her suit cracked me up the minute it showed up.
The thing possesses a level of ridiculousness that I can't quite process... If Anthy Himemiya fancied a Gundam.....

Rose bits.... I'm sure Treize would be very keen to get his hands on this one....

I found her and the explanation for her to be there exceedingly annoying. Same thing about the weird morality they're trying to get across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Can someone explain this Yurin- love for me? She's a soulless plot device who's only there to make Flit man up and realize the atrocities of war/ hate the enemy even more/ make the UE look evil.
Meanwhile, the real heroine, who is actually meant to be with the protagonist gets shoved aside and lacks development with him.
What does this look like? As if Flit just ended up marrying Emily because his first choice died- and she truly doesn't deserve that.
In comparison, Emily is the superior character: she underwent some actual development, and puts herself at risk to do the best she can to support not the guy she's after, but the people around her- she's worried about Flit, but doesn't let that distract her from doing what she has to.
Meanwhile, Yurin just whines and whimpers some more- this time about how she had to sit in a pink, flowery machine of death and informs us she knew she would die but was willing to risk that to see some guy she barely knows one more time.
Never mind what that would do to him, or how it will make her a massive murdering traitor. Even assuming that Decil threatened to kill either her or Flit, the reaction of a heroine would've been to off herself then and there to protect her ideals/ the guy Decil threatened/ prevent bloodshed/ etc.
Yurin would rather kill a bunch of people to have a chat with Flit than have a viable personality.

I'm sorry, but when and where was Yurin so great? :s Must've gone completely over my head.

As for the debate about Flit's twisted sense of morality, this:

Quote:

Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 17:05   Link #78
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
text
Yurin is the " pure " and " innocent " girl, while Emily got the whiner/bitching role most throughout the series(until episode 8?), all Not-Lalah/Yurin wanted to do was to be with Flit, she didn't care if he was a pilot, she just wanted to be with him.

And oh, Newtype/X-rounder connection.

And as you said yourself, Emily, the main heroine didn't come off as a good character from the get go, hence the big Yurin-fanclub, she made a better first impression than Emily, even though she appeared in fewer episodes.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 17:28   Link #79
monster

To be honest, neither Emily nor Yurin seems all that significant as a character to me. They just wanted to have that "death of main character's love interest" scenario, but they can't kill off Emily since someone has to bear Flit's son and they don't want some random girl to just show up and marry Flit when he's an adult.

Thus, Yurin was created to fulfill the death scenario and Emily is just there to produce Flit's son. It's sad, but that's the only thing that I can think of when there's only one episode left before the time skip and Flit never showed even a hint that he could think of Emily as a potential girlfriend other than when he self-consciously hid Yurin's ribbon in the presence of Emily.

And of course, the magic of the X-Rounder makes it all possible for Yurin to go from zero to hero(ine) status in a couple of episodes when paired with Flit.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 17:37   Link #80
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Because we all know beforehand Emily was going to get Flint it kind of really cheapens any sort of Yurin x Flint moments. At least for me. Nonetheless the fighting and Yurin's part in it was good enough I'd say.

Tags
weekly episode discussion