AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator 2 - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 11 18.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 30.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-10-18, 11:53   Link #61
Haigon

Wow, Dorssia is a uber Nazi Germany that conquered Russia, seems gud.
Old 2013-10-18, 16:55   Link #62
shalala

Not sure if I'm the only of but I would ship Akira and Marie together. I wonder if Marie saw Akira underwear? :P The Akira and Satomi back story was good. The parent of theirs are quite stupid and shitty. Putting so much prussure on Satomi and ignoring Akira to the point of being horrified when the police came to question her. Her treatment was uncalled for and pretty saddening. They clearly did not notice her talent.

If Valvrave does get an OVA I would hope it would be set in the 2 month period that was skipped over as they can show a few things like: Haruto and the rest of the school greaving, L-Elf,Saki,Haruto,Engeerniring teacher having a big meeting with the other 3 Valvrave explaining what they so far know about their vampire forms and explain Haruto condition to them (I think that has already been explained back into s1). Showing where the Familiar was found (Which totally has Gawain arm effect). Plus there is more the one FAmiliar.

H-neun and Kriemhild will could probably have a roll in Dorssia down fall seeing how both will team up and look for more info into what Cain is and his powers along with all the other stuff he has going on. Given it was a plot point back in season 1 and there wasn't any more info into what Kriemhild was doing Cain office and the chat she had with H-neun. They are also a nice couple.

Next ep will probably show off A-drel and co new copy VVV mecha and battle will ensure.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:10   Link #63
Dr. Casey

Man, this series is full of some rotten ass people. The idea that Satomi went too far in snapping at Takahi is laughable. Yeah, Satomi, giving a testy reply that lasted a grand total of one sentence is seriously going overboard. (Not to say that she didn't redeem herself at the end of the episode, but that hadn't happened yet when Takahi gave her commentary on Akira's situation.) And you can't forget the lovely L-Elf, who's about as warm as a refrigerator placed inside an igloo in the middle of the North Pole. I miss Shoko, she might think that moon parties are more important than sustainable economies but she's a much better person than the majority of the characters in the Valvrave cast.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:24   Link #64
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Of course they stray off course and land right in enemy territory.
Old 2013-10-19, 00:31   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Man, this series is full of some rotten ass people. The idea that Satomi went too far in snapping at Takahi is laughable. Yeah, Satomi, giving a testy reply that lasted a grand total of one sentence is seriously going overboard. (Not to say that she didn't redeem herself at the end of the episode, but that hadn't happened yet when Takahi gave her commentary on Akira's situation.) I miss Shoko, she might think that moon parties are more important than sustainable economies but she's a much better person than the majority of the characters in the Valvrave cast.
I felt that Satomi's response to Takahi was perfect. Just the right amount of anger, conciseness, and forcefulness. Just enough to make it clear to Takahi that she had crossed a serious personal boundary for Satomi and that he does have some spine and that he wouldn't stand for her making negative assumptions about his family. But at the same time, it wasn't so strong a response to actually frighten Takahi.

Takahi got the message loud and clear - She misjudged Akira, and Satomi cares deeply about his sister. Beyond that, I think Takahi was impressed by Satomi's show of spine here, so it ironically might have helped his romantic chances with her. So realizing she was wrong, and being impressed by Satomi, she went to bat for him to make amends.

I like this cast largely because they're colorful and quirky. But some of them are limited a bit by their quirks. Takahi is clearly a confident and well-to-do girl that likes socializing. So she sees something really strange about someone intentionally cutting themselves off from others. So she focuses on the behavior rather than on what might be causing it.

So Takahi thought "Akira gets bullied because she cuts herself off from others. If Akira acted like Satomi, she wouldn't get bullied!" It doesn't occur to Takahi that Akira cuts herself off from others because of the bullying she faced. In other words, Takahi got cause and effect mixed up.

Shouko is a very good person compared to most of the cast because she tries to meet people where they're already at. She's able to see beyond her own lifestyle, upbringing, and personal preferences, which is why she could reach out to Akira. Shouko is insightful that way. She has very high EQ (Emotional Quotient).
Old 2013-10-19, 00:57   Link #66
Kuro-snivy

That was a pretty good episode. Poor Akira, she went through so much, and her brother did nothing, but it's good to see him at the end protect her. I'm interested in Marie now. I hope next episode is L-elf focused. Also I miss Shoko, need more of her!
Old 2013-10-19, 00:58   Link #67
Dr. Casey

Triple: That's a good analysis and a nice read. Initially I wanted to see a stronger reaction from Satomi mainly because I'm already defensive of Akira (the less than delicate manner in which most of her classmates handle her touches a nerve - go back to piloting Valvraves, you insensitive clods, most of you clearly aren't cut out for therapy), but after reading your post I agree that Satomi's way of handling things was fine; he conveyed his message in a mature way that helped Takahi to rethink her position, and that's what really matters.
Old 2013-10-19, 01:06   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Triple: That's a good analysis and a nice read. Initially I wanted to see a stronger reaction from Satomi mainly because I'm already defensive of Akira (the less than delicate manner in which most of her classmates handle her touches a nerve - go back to piloting Valvraves, you insensitive clods, most of you clearly aren't cut out for therapy), but after reading your post I agree that Satomi's way of handling things was fine; he conveyed his message in a mature way that helped Takahi to rethink her position, and that's what really matters.
Yeah, I also didn't like all the gossiping that they were doing about Akira. It was pretty insensitive and dumb.
Old 2013-10-19, 03:09   Link #69
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

well... this episode is very magnificent because of Akira and Marie
I always know that Marie may hold an interesting story... thanks God now she will get more focus... I'm little tired about Shoko so it's better if she's taking her part from now on
Satomi is a jerk and Akira is awesome... so that's why Satomi felt responsible about Akira's hikikomori... he's the reason behind it!!

I do hope that Akira will at least build some trust between pilots (at least with Haruto and Kyuuma since they're the nicest) beside Marie
Landing on Dorssian's land is clearly a jackpot.. L-Elf will meet the princess soon.. and please no death flag until the end. In Sunrise's previous work, it's not weird if the main character land on enemy's land... but usually they will not leave unscathed.. they will lose something

After this episode, I think I won't be able to handle myself is Akira died.... Please... let Akira, Haruto, and Rukino alive (well, Rukino is confirmed alive)
Old 2013-10-20, 00:19   Link #70
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Probably near Moscow, since building resemble the building in Moscow. They are fighting Dorssian's Valvraves next episode, I say it about time for Saki to see Cain (As a atheist, I don't pray, but just this once please don't let anything bad happen to Saki!).
I think it's too soon for Cain to make an appearance with them. I also doubt we will see Unti II's full body anytime soon as well. Who knows how long the group will be in Dorssia territory? Maybe the rest of the season, if we are going to focus on L-elf and his history. Needless to say I haven't made any speculations due to the unpredictability of the season so far. It's hard to guess what could happen. I only guess if Saki is going to be taken it will be near the end. It will be when Haruto and Saki get more focus together than usual that we'll know what happens next.
Old 2013-10-20, 21:10   Link #71
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

A beautiful episode if you ask me.

It delved into the reason as to why Akira got tormented in school during her childhood that made her to turn into a hikkikomori. Pretty much, if Satomi had helped Akira at that time, then he would have automatically been branded the same and getting the same treatment as his little sister back then; enough reason for Akira to remain hostile and bitter against her onii-chan.
Spoiler:

But this episode put her into a dangerous situation for sake of saving her pilot comrades, and Satomi this time stood ground to convince everyone on acting to save Akira.
Her way of communicating only Satomi understood it quite well to take on the leadership temporarily for the rescue operation. Hence, Satomi proved he doesn't necessarily be that useless all the time but doing something beneficial for others too.

The strain between siblings is mended, yet there's still ways to go for those two brother and sister to heal from the wounds completely.
Old 2013-10-20, 23:17   Link #72
Frontier

Another enjoyable episode of Valvrave!

I've always liked Satomi, so it was great to see him get some focus and really prove himself after everything he had to go through in season one. From Akira ignoring him in favor of Shoko, Takahi not being interested in him, and losing the election to Shoko, life was not very kind to him. Which is a shame considering how I doubt New JIOR would've lasted as long as it has without his skills. But here Satomi finally got to really contribute, not only saving the team, but helping his relationship with Akira and improving his chances with Takahi .

Speaking of Takahi, why do people keep sticking things into her mouth .

Akira also got some good focus, and it was nice to see what she was like before the bullying made her give up on society and become a shut-in. Before the incident, she seemed to be a legitimately nice girl with incredible hacking skills that only wanted to help her brother. She never wanted to hurt anyone, and her face while being interrogated was simply awful . Akira's probably a long ways away from ever really recovering from what happened to her, but I hope that by the end of the series that at least a little bit of that girl in the flashback comes back. At least having Haruto go out of his way to save her may lead her to start interacting more with the other Valvrave pilots.

In fairness to Satomi, he never actually asked Akira to hack the system for him. But never defending her against the bullies? That was all on him. Though I'd say that if anyone was responsible for the incident it was the Renbokoji siblings' parents and how much they pushed Satomi. While I doubt the police actually arrested Akira, word obviously got out of what she did and that likely tarnished the families name. I guess that's some form of karma...

I wasn't expecting that Marie would get her own amnesia subplot. I'm not sure how I feel about it considering all the other storylines we have going on now, but I am curious as to how much focus it will receive and how it may tie into the main plot.

All the Valvraves had some nice moments in this episode, particularly Unit I and VI near the end. Valvrave I also finally debuts its Impact Booster, or "Familiar" and it make an impressive showing with its giant fist attack and the ability to cool down the Valvraves. Though that's a bit of a double edged sword for Unit I, considering how it needs to overheat to use its signature attack. I'm interested to see what else the Impact Booster has to offer.

It had completely escaped me that some of the cast had no idea what exactly the Valvrave pilots were capable of, and I'm very interested to see where they'll take Marie's interest in Haruto's eye fixing itself. I don't think Haruto has any real reason to lie about the pilots' abilities, so it should be fine to explain things to her so long as he doesn't mention the vampire part...

I loved that scene with Shoko on the talk show, because it shows that even with all that happened in season one and how serious she's taking her duties, she's still Shoko .

It looks like the next episode is going to delve more into L-Elf's background and his history with the Karlstein Institute, and hopefully we can finally get some more focus on Lieselotte. It also seems like the "Children of the Valvraves" will debut, which I don't expect to end well for the team.

Last edited by Frontier; 2013-10-21 at 12:34.
Old 2013-10-21, 02:38   Link #73
Traece
:cool:

You know, despite all my hatred for Sunrise's decisions in these last few years, I at least give them some small concession in this episode of Valvrave. They've somehow managed to pull together something a bit more reasonable in terms of a plot, and abandoned the complete and total nonsense of the first season, for now. That's a pretty big step up considering the state of the first season. If they maintain this level of sanity I may consider this a reverse-SAO where half of it is actually worth watching while the other half is a monstrosity.

Even worse, it pains me heavily to say that despite my constant eyerollery during the Akira and Satomi bits and their bullying flashbacks (Apparently kids hacking into JIOR schools is commonplace, so they don't reward such latent talent, but rather prosecute. Why would the greatest hacker this side of the system be of any interest to JIOR, right?) I actually liked that her character was developed in some way. In a strange way I like her the most because she actually seems to have some unique characterization as opposed to the other stereotypes of the cookie cutter cast. After Episode 12 though I have to admit yet more surprise because while her screams and groans were closer to adorable then, I find them to be ear-gougingly obnoxious this time around.

So to sum it up: Sunrise, please have more content like this episode in store for me, and bring back Moses.

Oh, and before I forget, kudos to Sunrise for totally not cashing in on Valvrave as a way to sell millions of action figures and various other collectibles shaped like these hideous things, during the runtime of the episode.
Old 2013-10-22, 06:37   Link #74
ReddyRedWolf

While particular bit of information on Akira should be considered private the state goofed on somehow making it public.

But it could be also that Akira at that age baring her talent is already scouted by JIOR prior to the creation of Sakimori Academy.

The Academy was only a few years old in episode 1 in season 1.

Considering that the entire population of Module 77 with exception of Rion is for the Valvrave project. All the students were all potential pilots.

It would be funny that VVV-6 was built with persons like Akira in mind or Akira herself.
Old 2013-10-22, 09:17   Link #75
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
While particular bit of information on Akira should be considered private the state goofed on somehow making it public.

But it could be also that Akira at that age baring her talent is already scouted by JIOR prior to the creation of Sakimori Academy.

The Academy was only a few years old in episode 1 in season 1.

Considering that the entire population of Module 77 with exception of Rion is for the Valvrave project. All the students were all potential pilots.

It would be funny that VVV-6 was built with persons like Akira in mind or Akira herself.
They say the students were chosen, but I have a feeling few were simply stuck in there like Rion was stuck in the staff, to make it seem as if it was a legitimate influential school. It was confirmed all the staff and people of the town sans Rion were soldiers. (Though if you look back at episodes one and two, it didn't really seem like it considering how clueless they were acting.)

I don't think all the students were specifically picked though. It wouldn't make sense for their cover to be that they are the most influential school in JIOR, and yet they don't have the kids of the creme de la creme of JIOR society in there? So, some of them I think were just accepted so that the school could keep it's cover. We can see now some attributes that might have made some candidates for the VVV program: all the pilots' various talents, Satomi's keen observation skills, Marie with her lost memory. However, there were also those like Aina, who I don't think could have ever had what was necessary to become a pilot, Takahi who's basically just your average spoiled rich girl, and even Shoko, who though has shown an inbred talent for politics, I don't think would become a pilot. But then again, it wouldn't have made the school look attractive as the supposed best high school in JIOR if JIOR's own Prime Minister's only child wasn't going there.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-10-22, 10:27   Link #76
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Akira's too damn moe inducing seriously...

Also, Elisa singing to a crashing box...was there ever anything more badass? Truly the genius of Sunrise is amazing

Don't die Marie....please....stay alive
Old 2013-10-22, 10:45   Link #77
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Probably near Moscow, since building resemble the building in Moscow. They are fighting Dorssian's Valvraves next episode, I say it about time for Saki to see Cain (As a atheist, I don't pray, but just this once please don't let anything bad happen to Saki!).
It's St. Petersburg.

The building is the Church of Saviour on Spilled Blood

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...B2%D0%B8_7.jpg
Old 2013-10-22, 13:06   Link #78
Frontier

I can see the JIOR government deliberately revealing what Akira had done so that Sakamori would be the only school either of the Renbokoji siblings had a chance of getting accepted to. And while Satomi was also accepted, their main goal was likely to get Akira into the school as a possible Valvrave pilot.

I do wonder how much of a criteria Sakamori had for how it accepted students. A decent amount were likely accepted just so they could maintain their guise of a normal school, but they still had to find Valvrave pilots from the student body.

Of the students we know, Haruto probably got in because he had a parent involved with the VVV-project, Shoko being the Prime Minister's daughter is a likely factor in her being in the school, and Saki's manga revealed that her father used his connection to get her into Sakamori and that he was aware of the VVV-Project.

We don't have much on Kyuma's or Raizo's backstory but I doubt they had the connections to get them into the school.

Last edited by Frontier; 2013-10-22 at 16:56.
Old 2013-10-22, 13:57   Link #79
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I can see the JIOR government deliberately revealing what Akira had done so that Sakamori would be the only school either of the Renbokoji siblings had a chance of getting accepted to. And while Satomi was also accepted, their main goal was likely to get Akira into the school as a possible Valvrave pilot.

I do wonder how much of a criteria Sakamori had for how it accepted students. A decent amount were likely accepted just so they could maintain their guise of a normal school, but they still had to find Valvrave pilots from the student body.

Of the students we know, probably got in because he had a parent involved with the VVV-project, Shoko being the Prime Minister's daughter is a likely factor in her being in the school, and Saki's manga revealed that her father used his connection to get her into Sakamori and that he was aware of the VVV-Project.

We don't have much on Kyuma's or Raizo's backstory but I doubt they had the connections to get them into the school.
Actually Sakamori would have already fit in with the Renbokoji's siblings' parents plan for their kids. It's one of, if not THE most affluential schools in the nation. I doubt JIOR had to use any manipulation of any kind in order for the two to apply there. In fact, the parents probably pulled a few strings to have the school allow Akira to stay isolated and probably take web classes. The school of course allowed it since Akira fit into the VVV program.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-10-22, 14:20   Link #80
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I wonder if Thunder is smarter than he's shown so far? Considering he got into Sakamori as well.