AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-14, 18:50   Link #61
Anthias

[brief pause] while donning flame retardent clothing [/brief pause]

I actually didn't mind those trailers. Considering all factors. It still has a certain darkness that implies its not being "kidded up" and the voice, while definitely not emotional enough for al, and definitely lacking somewhat, was still not as tragicly bad as it could have been. I liked the edit of the second trailer from the perspective of someone who is not being spoiled by it, but can still understand (and agree) with those who think that the scene selection was too spoilerfull for new viewers. But this is the American way with this sort of thing in my experience. Is it that TV execs are often failed marketing execs?. This is what they do. And I have seen a lot of non-anime shows spoiled the same way.

So anyway, while I do think the scene selection for the second trailer could have been better, it wasn't all that bad and it showed some small amount of the variety of characterisations that are present in the anime such that those seeing the trailer wont autometically equate it with DBZ (I hope) all in all, the trailers are better than I had hoped, though a long way still below what the ideal would have been. Given the darkness of the series is to a reasonable extent still present in the trailers, we can hold out hopes that the subbed dvds will be of acceptable standards.
Old 2004-05-14, 19:45   Link #62
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

FMA will be on AS: http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 2004-05-14, 20:21   Link #63
Kouji
StrykerX

YES! Finally we don't get an edited intro. Because I know that AS sometimes does the anime's intro.
Old 2004-05-14, 20:51   Link #64
h0llerfr0nt
only real dreams

Send a message via AIM to h0llerfr0nt Send a message via MSN to h0llerfr0nt
This totally sucks. Wow, I`m so addicted to this thing, and first they air it only once a week and they lisence it. TT.T
Old 2004-05-14, 21:04   Link #65
Kouji
StrykerX

So, they aired FMA once a week in Japan. But I know what your saying, you basically don't want to see the U.S version when it airs on Adult Swim. Am I right? o_O
Old 2004-05-14, 21:29   Link #66
Ral
Idea!

I hope thats true that it's going to Adult Swim. Now I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 2004-05-14, 22:31   Link #67
Dark_Sun
I LOVE YOU!

al's accent.......

actually i HOPE it's on adult swim...because it looks like it's gonna be semi pokemon show
Old 2004-05-14, 23:26   Link #68
tiramiisu

....Al's southern accent: wtf....
the VA even has problems pronouncing "equivalent exchange" -_-" yes...very "promising" indeed....
Old 2004-05-14, 23:47   Link #69
Ice-Wolf

While watching the English version, the notion occurred to me... I wonder if Funimation has ever considered sending the Japanese language audio on one of 3 audio streams of NTSC (well, really only 2 are available since we like stereo sound) But using SAP would be a nice alternative, and it's multiplexed so it would be VHS-recordable.

And the could provide a subtitle text stream on either the caption-2, text-1, text-2 channels, which again are scan-line encoded and thus VHS-recordable (And comp recordable if your card doesn't strip the "blank" scan lines above the standard picture)

That would make having cable TV really worth it again...
Hmm, I wonder if there is any extra content on those streams currently *arms with remote and awaits for anime*
Old 2004-05-15, 11:37   Link #70
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiramiisu
....Al's southern accent: wtf....
the VA even has problems pronouncing "equivalent exchange" -_-" yes...very "promising" indeed....
I kinda noticed that too while watching the trailer.
Old 2004-05-15, 13:24   Link #71
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Sun
al's accent.......

actually i HOPE it's on adult swim...because it looks like it's gonna be semi pokemon show
Uh...it's going to Adult Swim...
Old 2004-05-15, 15:01   Link #72
golden_pig

ewww!

crap! now I cant download the rest of the episodes.. the good thing is that now I can get a dvd with it.. but that one would be in english .. hope they will show it on swedish channels..
Old 2004-05-15, 15:07   Link #73
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
southern accent? what southern accent, doesn't sound southern to me... Just sounds like a little kid talking. I should know too, I have a lot of family from the south and that's definetly not a southern accent.
Old 2004-05-15, 18:17   Link #74
Kaleyeope
idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenichan
southern accent? what southern accent, doesn't sound southern to me... Just sounds like a little kid talking. I should know too, I have a lot of family from the south and that's definetly not a southern accent.
Ack! I was just about to write that same comment. This english Kid has a slight lisp, not an accent.

I kinda thought the japanese voice for Al was a bit lispy too, but since I can't speak a lick of it, I was never really sure.

As far as dubbing goes, Have Faith. It seems that ever year the quality of work goes up. Maybe this will be the one where it all comes together.

But man! I sooooo do not want to have to wait that long. sadness sadness sadness

K.
Old 2004-05-15, 18:44   Link #75
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_pig
crap! now I cant download the rest of the episodes.. the good thing is that now I can get a dvd with it.. but that one would be in english .. hope they will show it on swedish channels..
LOL. You really think they will? The Swedish society has just recently embraced anime, but still as cartoons. I don't think the Swedish Cartoon Network broadcasts anime... do they? I don't have CN, but I'ive had Fox Kids and they show both Pokémon and Digimon. And also Medabots (I think that's the name of the show) and Transformers Armada. And Kanal 5 shows Sailor Moon and Transformers Armada. Also, showing Spirited Away un-dubbed in Swedish cinemas was a big step for the Swedish cinema... censoring community. What will they think of all the bloodshed and "nudity" in FMA? I seriously doubt FMA will have a Swedish release. But it would be fun to see it here! Like I wanted to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! in Sweden, although the names of the monsters would be weird in Swedish. ^^

Uhh... the accent the dubbed Al has is... a typical American accent? I don't think you can specify a region, where his accent is from, since it is spoken from the east to the west. But we only had a short glimpse at what the American FMA will look like. Maybe they'll change Al's voice?
Old 2004-05-15, 18:49   Link #76
thiby
Kaizoku Ou

the only reason im sad is i have to wait a long time for episode 32... unless
Old 2004-05-15, 19:24   Link #77
Excel 2004
Please Fix My Avatar

Send a message via AIM to Excel 2004
I'm still giving FUNiMATION a chance, chiefly due to the fact that they didn't change the opening song. This is only five-ten lines. Let's hope it gets better.
Old 2004-05-15, 23:09   Link #78
Mephista
Kemono no Renkinjutsushi

Holy crap, i come back after a long time and it's already LICENSED. -_-;

Al's american voice definitely has a southern accent. It doesn't hit you over the head, but it's still there. Maybe it's 'cause i'm from new york or wasn't expecting any kind of accent, but i really noticed it from the first "anything." By that token, people could say that i just have a new york accent, but it's really subtle and i'm conscious of it, so i could speak "normally" if i wanted... normal being "standard" american, which i hear is taken from someplace in ohio and newscasters are trained to speak that way 'cause it's most easily understood. Al's voice isn't totally standard american. But this is a tangent.

I'd always thought of being a voice actor myself, but there's no way i could compete in the japanese market unless they just really needed a native english speaker. That would leave me with voice acting in the states, which would likely mean doing dubs, going against some of my major principles concerning anime. Having seen a lot of the japanese work, i might be able to mimic if better than someone who's never seen the original, but it would never, ever be the same. Recently, i wondered what it would be like if i auditioned and ended up with the role of, say, al. What a character! I'd be flattered with the role, but would i really be able to do it justice knowing how moving the previous actress' performance was? I'd feel guilty, but mostly inadequate. In this way, i feel sorry for dub actors. They're being held to such high standards, the japanese voice actors who come from a much more serious and competitive market, thus getting a lot of bad feedback. A lot of them don't see the original work, and it's a shame that they're deprived of that as well. It's easy to say "this actor sucks," but what really sucks in a bad dub is the people in charge. I kinda feel like roy mustang in that sometimes i think that if i worked hard and sold out my principles for the time being to be in charge later, i could change the system and make it better or something. But maybe that's just my romantic idealism. ^_^;

Something that kinda bothers me, though, is that i was almost sure they'd cast a woman to play al's part; his voice is that high. Though there have been disastrous male impersonations in dubs in the past, they don't necessarily have to be. I was even wondering if ed's voice would be done by a girl or a guy, though i could understand if they used a guy. What if al's voice changes mid-series?! This is the problem with using "real" boys... *sigh*

Oh, another thing, sorry to bring up al's accent again, but i can kinda see how they'd justify it if they came from a place like rizenbul... in fact, if done right, it could be okay. But i absolutely can't imagine ed with a southern accent! >_< But if they're brothers who grew up in the same place, how could they have different accents?! Aaaagh! >_< *head explody*

I still don't know what to think. :/
Old 2004-05-15, 23:12   Link #79
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Well if Funi can get the rights, the OP on the dub track will be in english. This may be hard considering it's by a Sony Music artist and when Media Blasters made an English version of Sobakasu for Rurouni Kenshin (originally by the excellent band Judy and Mary,) and the ending theme (Namida wa Shitteiru) Sony put a stop to that quick.

So depending on what Sony decides, dub fans may get an English op, or we'll get just the Japanese op. However, stuff airing on CN might not get an op either way.
Old 2004-05-15, 23:16   Link #80
Kouji
StrykerX

Well, we got Gundam SEED's OP; Invoke (after several attempts at the Toonami intro of Gundam SEED, but after that the acting just went downhill. Oh well guess I'll have to see future episodes of SEED). But I'm saying is that it's not all so bad.