AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 11:33   Link #61
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Ever since Bokura ga Ita, nothing in this genre can compare for me, but still that doesn't mean i won't enjoy them. I rather liked the first episode of this --- it's a nice set up, and i see plenty of fun times ahead in this series.
This is probably not the right thread to discuss this but... Bokura ga Ita is old. It's not really that good cuz the ending sucks. To me it felt like it ended around episode 17ish already and they just dragged it on. But still a lot of people like it although I still think ef -a tale of memories- or shinkai's latest work is still the best romance anime out there.

I don't think this anime will be up there among the greatest romance animes since it is very light but I hope it will be enjoyable.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 11:50   Link #62
iwubanime
FMP wubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
No spoiler, but do note as others say that this is a history lesson of sorts.

Don't expect modernist twists in an older work-turned-anime!

...which is why I won't be following this. Yes, it's the Original, so? Hana Yori Dango already nearly killed me with the sheer audacity of those scums they call major male characters, I don't need another to reduce my precious years to live.

Agreed, I liked HYD but I hated the male lead (most of the time) made it really hard to watch and root for him.

I haven't watched this yet, plan to when I get home, I was looking forward to it. I saw the OP, pretty nice... we'll see.

After watching so many romance series, I also am not a big fan of series like Bokura ga Ita/Peach Girl where they string you along from one relationship to the next...

When will there be a romance series that has one couple and focuses on other things to act as drama. I was hoping that would be the case with this series, but it doesn't sound to be the case.

I'll update this after I've seen the episode
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 12:51   Link #63
SkoolRumble4Ya

I just watch the first episode last night. I must say I will add this show to my list to watch for the spring.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 12:52   Link #64
faust123
I Beat Cherry Blossom

Quote:
It's not really that good cuz the ending sucks. To me it felt like it ended around episode 17ish already and they just dragged it on
If the anime is your only experience with bokura, you need to read the manga. The story continues on after they get into college and the drama is intense.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

I have been on a shoujo binge as of late. In the past I have found that I won't really give an anime/manga a chance unless it has some sort of romance in it. Most of the shows geared towards males end up having bits of romance, but never anything meaningful. Shoujo was basically just the next logical step for me. It is nice going into a shoujo knowing that all you are going to get is romance/comedy/drama. Currently reading love attack and high school debut among others, and they are great.

I've enjoyed what I have read of Itazura, and it's nice to know that the story carries out into the future, which is a rarity. I think the anime will make the story more enjoyable as it updates the drawing and, I am assuming, the time period as well(1990-->2008). Also Kotoko is cute and her VA is great.

Nothing earth shattering but I anticipate enjoying the rest of this show (if its 26 eps) :b
faust123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 13:35   Link #65
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well they certainly tried to make that Naoki as a guy you dislike and it worked out pretty well. Guy is the embodiment of guys I hated while in highschool. Damn smart, good looking, and just leaves you wanting to form a lynch mob. Not just that he's a cold person or something, but can actively be a jerk. Let's grab the pitchforks and take this guy out I say!

Anyways did find the history behind this one pretty interesting. May be an older one, but looking forward to seeing how it goes. Going forward years in time is actually something that caught my attention. Wonder how they will handle that kind of thing.

Well glad the dad didn't get himself killed this episode. Going back in like that nearly cost him. Know it wasn't the type of show that would permanently kill him off, but had a moment of concern for him.
Old 2008-04-07, 14:08   Link #66
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I still think Naoki needs to get a boot to the face then a pitchfork to the back. That guy is a straight ass and now this poor girl has no escape she has to see him at school and at home. Hes the kind guy I would punch even if i didnt know him.
Old 2008-04-07, 14:12   Link #67
Avantoe
In Memories
*Graphic Designer

I finally took my time to watch this first episode, im not really sure of what to think. Although i love how the series took place im not sure that it will continue as good all the way until the end.
Avantoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 14:20   Link #68
yongshun

Well I enjoyed this show so far. Kinda wanted to punch the Naoki and Kin as they embarrassed the hell out of her.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 14:57   Link #69
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Glad that so many people want to throttle the two brothers so far ^^

Yea, they are asses, but I can see how Kotoko entering their lives will change them a great deal. Personality > smartness in this case, Kotoko is hard working and has guts! *Raises flag*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 15:31   Link #70
Echoes

Kotoko is just lovely, she charmed me right away. I got a very good impression from the first episode, lighthearted and funny, though I must agree that those two brothers are completely and utter jackasses.
Old 2008-04-07, 15:55   Link #71
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I agree just because she's not naturally smart doesnt mean she cant learn things. I would rather date a girl who was hard working and had a great personality than one who is super smart and a bitch. Next episode looks like shes working hard to get her grades up and move into a different class that should be interesting especially studying at home with the douchbag duo. If anything im sure this series will teach us hardwork pays off in the end (i think)
Old 2008-04-07, 17:16   Link #72
desi09
Sono un cattivo perdente.

Woot! Loved the first episode!
Spoiler for episode1:
desi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 17:46   Link #73
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Will definitely give this series a look. Agree with ani_d that it is much easier to find quality material in this genre than in "harem" which too often takes a predictable somewhat shallow route.
I dunno, but my experience with reading shoujo scanslations (before doing full time anime) had me running into reverse harems as often as I do running to harems in manga that is directed to males.

But of course, in anime directed to females, the source material HAS to be popular. This is because as common knowledge tells, female viewership is in the minority for anime, and female 'otaku-ship' in which they're obligated to pay stupendous prices for dvds are even fewer. So if they don't want to do financial suicide, the source better be damn good. So in other words, yeah, shoujo series are always worth a look if you're even remotely interested in the topics it usually deals with.

And is it no wonder that 'original' anime series directed to females are practically non-existant? XD

And meh, Bokura ga Ita bored me sometime near the beginning. So did Lovely Complex as well. I dunno, but after maybe half a decade of practically reading every shoujo scanslation out there, every other shoujo title seems so bland. Even I don't know how long my interest would last for this series. Maybe until the episode when Naoki does get punched in the face, I dunno lol. (nope not a spoiler, as I don't even remember which group did I read the manga from lol)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:26   Link #74
HaZzArD
Kenpachi FTW

Send a message via AIM to HaZzArD
when i first saw this episode i said to myself "ive seen this before" and remembered it was the 1st episode of "It Started with a Kiss" im going to watch this and the drama at the sametime
HaZzArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:29   Link #75
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

People like those two brothers don't deserve love, no seriously. Kotoko is too good for them, when they are adults they deserve some gold digging whore who sleeps with the pool boy behind their backs.

I'll give the show a try, if its not convincing that the asshole of a main male lead changes, and not look like he's forcing himself just to get laid, then ok, I'll give it a thumbs up.
ForgedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:37   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah... if there was ever male leads that need a serious v2.0 upgrade, its going to be these two twits. If they overdo the "how big a jerk are we" bit though, its going to be hard to believe a scenario where she's possibly interested in them.
Old 2008-04-07, 18:41   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow, i can't believe the over the top hate for the brothers. I certainly don't like the way they treat Kotoko, though i don't see any point in the hate bashing on them from just one episode.
Old 2008-04-07, 19:01   Link #78
Omfgbbqwtf

aw.. nice start. Somehow i don't find it boring or cliche at all, even though i already know what would happen in the future. I hope they don't change too much and stick to the original plot. Good start, 9.5/10
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:12   Link #79
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Ever since Bokura ga Ita, nothing in this genre can compare for me....
That's my experience, too, even though I like a higher percentage of shoujo manga and anime than of any other genre. Bokura was (is, considering the manga) full of real emotion and subtle relationships. Lovely Complex just didn't do it for me. Style of humor, maybe.

As for wanting to do violence to the brothers, you'd better relax, since they are not going away. But just maybe our heroine will eventually work some magic on them and they will get a bit better than they are....
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:27   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, the first episode played fairly well -- except that the little brother would have been that night's meal if he'd pulled that in front of my wife's extended japanese family. A smart little brother would have done that off to the side in private. It did imply why he was particularly unhappy though since we learn that he lost his room to her. That's a hard thing for a youngster for whom that's their special place.

Irie-kun may be smart but he really fails in social skills -- so I'm guessing this is almost a reverse "My Fair Lady" ...lets see if the nimrod's compassion and diplomacy can be awakened.

The main discontinuity with the first episode is that she's written them off -- but the OP/ED really do damage to the content of the episode.

Otherwise, I liked the presentation of Class F ... they may be the future service sector or yakuza, but they're pretty loyal and stalwart comrades. Also liked the characterization of her dad.

soooooo, kind of an awkward start but I'm thinking I'll like this as long as Kotoko doesn't go all passive/submissive/perfectgirl crapola. She's better as spunky mistake-making real girl.

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shoujo