AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 123 45.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 84 31.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 10.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 6.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.37%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.12%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-29, 20:00   Link #61
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
-Natsuhi was killed immediately before they busted open the door. They actually saw her fall to the ground. This was kind of strange because you would think a person would either immediately go after the culprit or hide back in the parlor. Instead they seemed to just accept that either the culprit escaped or Beatrice's magic did it.
Exactly what I've noted. It hardly makes much sense why Battler didn't case towards the direction in which Natsuhi was facing. It may also cause some trouble for first time viewers as it was quite a misleading change (why isn't there any mention of the smoke from Natsuhi's gun?).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-29, 20:08   Link #62
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
As usual I'm starting from what I didn't like first
-Maria crazy faces. Okay it's not as bad as 1-2 or 1-4, but it's still popping up. Unless there really is Rokkenjima Syndrome, I don't see why she has to have that L5 face again. Unless Kon Chiaki actually believes that a face breaking down sells. Again, creepy/scary is good, overboard is not.
I must confess... a few months ago I knew absolutely nothing about Higurashi, Umineko and Ryukishi07. It just happened that after seeing Mion/Shion evil laughter pics around I got curious. And so I downloaded the whole series without even knowing what it was about. Well I kinda guessed it was a horror story, but I wasn't really sure. I actually imagined something very different.

After that I learned there was a second series (I didn't even know that) and I got so excited that I started looking for info on the net, and so I learned that the story was based on a VN that the author was Ryukishi07, and that he wa writing another story. So then I found out about witch hunt, I bought the VN (ep4 was already out) and so on.

And all of that because I got curious after seeing a distorced face. I don't even know if I'd be here now if it wasn't for that.
So yeah those faces as much as they are ridiculous they sell, I'm certainly not an isolated case, and if they serve the purpose of attracting people so they can discover such masterpieces, I welcome them.

Old 2009-07-29, 20:22   Link #63
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
Spoiler for This episode of Umineko and Haruhi:
kihihihihihihihihi

Now even Beatrice will eliminate Haruhi from existence, show us the way to the Golden Land, Beatrice!

kihihihihihihihihi! >

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-07-29, 21:35   Link #64
ameskitty
Kupo

Very easily a 10/10 both as stand-alone and as an adaptation . It seems as though DEEN is going to focus on the witch drama - nice idea, I must say. (also "kitto baddo enddo" ftw and lulz) Also they kept many key BGMs and I loved the arrangements.

Only reservation is that the transition to the tea party might be a bit confusing for anime-only viewers, but that's something they should probably judge themselves. I also agree that the fanservice is ridiculous, but it's ridiculous to the point of it being funny, so I'm no longer bothered by it.

Overall review for EP 1: 7/10. As much as I was bothered by the characterizations, they did a really good job with the plot. The later EPs will have more focus on character development for sure. And really the only purpose of EP 1 is to point out who is who and, more importantly, to scare the beejeebus out of/totally puzzle the viewer. I know a Higurashi-familiar friend of mine who was scared out of her pants when 6 people died at once, so they must've done at least a passable job with the latter.

...EP 2 IS COMING YESSSSSS *drool*
Old 2009-07-29, 21:43   Link #65
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"why isn't there any mention of the smoke from Natsuhi's gun?"

Maybe because real bullets use smokeless powder these days. A single rifle shot will not put out a lot of smoke.
Old 2009-07-29, 21:43   Link #66
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

If they included an end roll here with Bring the Fate, I'd have given this a 15/10. But it's asking for too much isn't it?
Old 2009-07-29, 21:50   Link #67
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
"why isn't there any mention of the smoke from Natsuhi's gun?"

Maybe because real bullets use smokeless powder these days. A single rifle shot will not put out a lot of smoke.
By these days I think you mean 2009?

The story is set in 1986 and the gun is even older than that (Winchester) so smoke is very likely. Plus the fact it was distinctively mentioned in the game

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2009-07-29, 22:06   Link #68
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

err smokeless bullets are over one century old. Even if old guns can still be found for their vintage appeal, there's really no way you can find bullets that old, and even if you do they wouldn't work.

Old 2009-07-29, 22:25   Link #69
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

And I wouldn't put it past Kinzo to use the old type of bullets since he is a lover of weird things. The TIPS even says the rifle uses .45 long-colt bullets which was originally filled with black gun powder. But this is besides the point. The REAL point is that it was mentioned that only 1 gun shot was heard from the kids and that the bullet had landed on Natsuhi's forehead with smoke coming from the gun that SHE was holding. This is better to avoid any confusion than what the anime showed.

Old 2009-07-29, 22:30   Link #70
BakaOnna

Amazing episode. Sigh, if only the first few were this good.

Aw, I was waiting for Beatrice to say "Ushiromiya Battleeeeeeeeeeeeeer!" but I guess that wasn't until Ep2. I LOVE Ohara's laugh though. It gives me goosebumps.

Oh, and when is the next episode preview usually up?
Old 2009-07-29, 22:40   Link #71
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Easily the best episode of the anime so far. I really enjoyed it, so it gets an 8/10 from me. The highest I've ever rated an Umineko episode so far. :3

It was hard trying to score it, but I didn't want to go "too high" and make it a 9 (in case an episode comes out later and impresses me even more, I want to rate THAT a 9 or 10). It wasn't ENTIRELY perfect, but the cons are heavily outweighed by the pros, so I rated it what I felt was pretty fair. :3

Old 2009-07-29, 23:16   Link #72
Mercurius

Not much to add here, just agreeing with everyone else that this episode was leaps and bounds above the previous four, both in terms of adaptation and direction/animation. The most noticeable improvement was the BGM, mostly because it actually matched the scenes and was used correctly. The vocals were all decent too. I'm really loving Hocchan's Maria, you can tell she's really trying to get to the heart of the character.

However, DEEN has now proven that they have the means to make a decent episode of Umineko. I'm hoping this isn't just a fluke, and that they are really trying to make a decent adaptation. At the least, they can tone down the fanservice.

Notes:
Spoiler for Episode I-V:
I'm both excited and worried for the next arc. However, this episode gave me a lot more hope for what's to come.
Old 2009-07-29, 23:21   Link #73
chronotrig

One thing I'd like to point out though...
It wouldn't have been possible for them to make an episode like this one if they hadn't rushed the earlier ones. Hopefully, this is a sign that Deen will only rush when it's needed...and it is needed, a lot.

They haven't been perfect in their choice of scenes or the adaptation, but I think their overall pacing for this episode was just about as good as it could have been.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-07-29, 23:51   Link #74
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
One thing I'd like to point out though...
It wouldn't have been possible for them to make an episode like this one if they hadn't rushed the earlier ones. Hopefully, this is a sign that Deen will only rush when it's needed...and it is needed, a lot.

They haven't been perfect in their choice of scenes or the adaptation, but I think their overall pacing for this episode was just about as good as it could have been.
No, I disagree; the episodes before (with the exception of 3) were poorly done and there's no excuse for that. There's ALWAYS a way they can do it better, even if that's increasing the episode count, or even just directing it better somehow. Perhaps that isn't feasible, but that's their problem.

I won't condemn the series for it or anything as it doesn't deserve to be (The series is quite good so far, I'm talking purely adaption-wise) but the fact is 'DEEN did a poor job with the adaption previous episodes, regardless of the quality of this one'.
Old 2009-07-29, 23:54   Link #75
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh smoke as in a "smoking barrel" rather than the "obscure things" type smoke. Yeah they still do that, but it is more wispy smoke, sort of like a candle than anything else, and it doesn't last very long.

But note something else that could be a reason there is no smoke...she didn't fire that shot. If she had Battler would have needed to cycle the action to get a new round in the chamber, or else there would have been a spent cartridge on the ground for them to find. He does use the action to get a new round in for his second shot (we also see and the hear the spent casing as it hits the floor).
Old 2009-07-29, 23:55   Link #76
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
No, I disagree; the episodes before (with the exception of 3) were poorly done and there's no excuse for that. There's ALWAYS a way they can do it better, even if that's increasing the episode count, or even just directing it better somehow. Perhaps that isn't feasible, but that's their problem.

I won't condemn the series for it or anything as it doesn't deserve to be (The series is quite good so far, I'm talking purely adaption-wise) but the fact is 'DEEN did a poor job with the adaption previous episodes, regardless of the quality of this one'.
They can't increase the episode count without adding on a whole third season. There are dozens of reasons why that would be difficult, so it isn't something to brush aside lightly.
And 'directing it better somehow' isn't really helpful.

Yeah, I agree they made a lot of mistakes, and the selection of scenes could have been done much better.
But you're asking for the near impossible as though it's something that should be taken for granted.

Episode 1 is only the intro to the real series. As long as they did a reasonable job on it, it would serve its purpose. Considering what we have, there's more than enough here to satisfy.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-07-30, 00:00   Link #77
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
They can't increase the episode count without adding on a whole third season. There are dozens of reasons why that would be difficult, so it isn't something to brush aside lightly.
And 'directing it better somehow' isn't really helpful.

Yeah, I agree they made a lot of mistakes, and the selection of scenes could have been done much better.
But you're asking for the near impossible as though it's something that should be taken for granted.

Episode 1 is only the intro to the real series. As long as they did a reasonable job on it, it would serve its purpose. Considering what we have, there's more than enough here to satisfy.
I agree perfection is always near impossible.

For me, every episode of this whole series has been both enjoyable and rewatchable. I never take anything that's really good for granted.
Old 2009-07-30, 00:01   Link #78
Demoned Away

I can't wait for the sub. Hearing everyone's opinions on the episodes is making me excited for this episode!
Old 2009-07-30, 00:22   Link #79
Saerianne
*cackle*

Rewatching again, and will watch once again when the subs come out. I'm excited for the rest of the series! I want to replay the games again. XD
Old 2009-07-30, 00:28   Link #80
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
So... I've decided it's more enjoyable to do this "Read novel first --> then watch anime". Earlier in another thread I had posted questioning if it would better to watch the anime and then read the VN as to not be disappointed by the anime... but I feel it is the other way around. Not to mention this episode clearly showed that the anime has a lot more hope than it seemed up till last week!

Spoiler for My Umineko Experience:

While I am still a HUGE Higurashi fan... I can only now clearly see why Umineko is so easy to become obsessed with. Why did I not realize this earlier... it is Ryuukishi after all. Or was it Beatrice's power that wouldn't let me stop reading...? I wonder, I wonder.

Closed Thread