AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Old 2010-11-11, 22:14   Link #781
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
^ that scene was actually in the manga already.
Spoiler for ln:
Old 2010-11-11, 22:37   Link #782
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
^ that scene was actually in the manga already.
I don't read the manga: Generally, I avoid manga versions of LNs.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 23:20   Link #783
Lunar Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
Spoiler for ln:
I just rewatched the first episode and Kyousuke (semi-)confirms it. While Kirino is going on and on about how the perfect little sister would have black hair and twin ponytails, he mentions "You have brown hair." during his inner monologue.
Lunar Archivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 23:25   Link #784
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Also recall in the anime when Kyousuke confronted their father. The dad mentions how he allows Kirino to dye her hair.

But yeah, revealing they aren't blood related is always cop out. I just finished doing a research paper on incest and there is absolutely no legitimate reason to stop blood relatives from hooking up.
Old 2010-11-11, 23:40   Link #785
Lunar Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I just finished doing a research paper on incest and there is absolutely no legitimate reason to stop blood relatives from hooking up.
But unless you're, say, Angelina Jolie, even hinting at the idea that you might've hooked up with your brother in public would probably be a bad idea.
Lunar Archivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 23:56   Link #786
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
But yeah, revealing they aren't blood related is always cop out. I just finished doing a research paper on incest and there is absolutely no legitimate reason to stop blood relatives from hooking up.
A one-time marriage isn't wrong biologically (it is a problem if you do it for generations), but humans don't go only by biology: there are social things to consider.

It really depends on the society, though. Japan allows cousin marriages, while Korea bans up to the third generation (third cousins). In my case, I'm engaged to a second cousin after using loopholes (I was originally a Japanese citizen, so legally I'm not a relative).
Old 2010-11-12, 00:14   Link #787
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Archivist View Post
But unless you're, say, Angelina Jolie, even hinting at the idea that you might've hooked up with your brother in public would probably be a bad idea.
Oh yeah, the social stigma would be huge, but that's because incest is a very long standing taboo. No one's too sure why, but there's 3 main areas:

1.) Inbreeding makes defective babies. True, there is a greater chance of this happening, but it's not 100% certainty. Controlling this, though, enters the territory of eugenics, but that's seen as a moral no no too. There is nothing preventing two people with the same disorder from having children despite the increased likelihood of passing that disorder on either.

2.) 'Incest' is oftened used as a synonym for 'child abuse.' Fathers using their positions of power to coerce their daughters is the primary example. Of course child abuse should be prevented and punished, but the same laws that do that also block consentual incestuous relationships. If both parties enter into it willingly, no abuse is happening so there's no reason to object to it.

3.) Incest laws are in place to protect the family. Basically if a father wants to hook up with his step-daughter, then the family he formed with his wife would be destroyed. Problem is at the same time the law is destroying the family that would be created from the father/step-daughter union. If Kyousuke and Kirino did hook up, their relationship with their parents would probably be ruined, but they still have the potential to form a brand new family through their union. Basically the law is saying that not all families deserve equal treatment and one is more worthy of being protected than the other. That's not right. Of course there's also the fact that divorce is legal...

Aaand those are the main arguments of my paper in a nut shell There's nothing inherently wrong with incest, it's just a belief that's been held so long that it's hard to change. But hey, society used to think homosexually was wrong too so all hope is not lost.

Though in terms of a potential Kirino/Kyousuke relationship, it might violate #2 seeing how Kirino exerts power over and abuses Kyousuke all the time

I personally am not a supporter of the incest route though. Kirino just isn't a good person =/ I'd be much happier with Kyousuke/Manami or Kyousuke/Kuroneko
Old 2010-11-12, 01:57   Link #788
Seitsuki
Onee!

The situation is pretty strange actually.

When people grow up together, they are reluctant to get into any intimate relationships (Westermarck effect) but relations who are raised separately then meet up experience genetic sexual attraction. What I believe that what this means is there is a fundamental love between siblings which circumstances conspire to mask, but a sufficiently all-surpassing love can break down this divisive barrier and release the rapturous joys which had been bound! Kirino has already torn down those chains, now Kyousuke also must shake the heavens with his steely resolve and pierce through to his destiny and true love! And we, the Invictus 8th battlefleet will support them to the bitter end! All ships, full speed ahead!!!

Seriously though, as long as you hold off having children there's actually no problem with loving your sibling. It's just another expression of our God given faculties to express the ultimate expression of devotion and caring for another human being. And with advancements in genetics etc maybe even that won't be a problem in the future.

Quote:
Kirino just isn't a good person =/
Target locked. All weapons systems online. Proceeding to terminate with extreme prejudice.
Old 2010-11-12, 02:14   Link #789
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
When people grow up together, they are reluctant to get into any intimate relationships (Westermarck effect) but relations who are raised separately then meet up experience genetic sexual attraction.
I should research that. Interestingly, I grew up with Oppa (my second cousin), and we never really had any aversion to being together. Must have been something different.
Old 2010-11-12, 09:08   Link #790
charles88

By the way,did anyone planning to make Fanfic of Ore no Imouto ?
charles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 09:49   Link #791
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
When people grow up together, they are reluctant to get into any intimate relationships (Westermarck effect) but relations who are raised separately then meet up experience genetic sexual attraction.
For the Westermark effect to develop, the people in question have to have grown up together in close proximity since early childhood, typically between the ages of 2 and 6. One explanation of it is that people crave sexual novelty, so they wouldn't be interested in some one they've known forever (you could apply this to Kyousuke towards Manami, I suppose).

Family who are raised separately do find them selves attracted to their blood relations (even if they don't know they're related) due to the fact that generally people are attracted to those who are similar to themselves. Who'd be more similar than a sibling? It just depends on what's stronger: their sexual desire or their desire to not commit a taboo.

The Westermark effect is still only a hypothesis, but it's a pretty well studied one. One study raised a bunch of non-blood related babies together and when they reached adulthood they avoided sexual contact with each other despite knowing that it was okay. In some cultures where future wives are sent to be raised by the families they'd be marrying into, the weddings that result from that usually don't work out too well.

With Kyousuke and Kirino, he's 17 and she's 14, so the Westermark effect should be in place since they fall within the 2-6 age range. We don't know what age they were when they started drifting apart, though.

Of course our old pal Freud didn't like Westermark's theory. Westermark said that people avoid incest because it's normal to do so, but Freud retorted with "Why make it taboo if no one wants to do it anyways?" To Freud, incestual attraction was a normal part of development, though I only know of his Oedipus and Electra complexes. Not sure if he did any work with siblings.

But we must remember it's entirely possible that OreImo's author has no idea about any of this and doesn't factor it into his work. I like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he did his homework, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I should research that. Interestingly, I grew up with Oppa (my second cousin), and we never really had any aversion to being together. Must have been something different.
How closely did you grow up together? Westermark's effect mostly refers to those raised in the same household where they have continuous contact on a daily basis. If your 2nd cousin lived next door or down the street or something, the effect probably wouldn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles88 View Post
By the way,did anyone planning to make Fanfic of Ore no Imouto ?
I have an idea for one, but I'm not sure where I can take the idea just yet.
Old 2010-11-13, 01:39   Link #792
ZeKeR
Superbad

im gonna burn.... so kirino dyed her hair nao?
Old 2010-11-13, 01:52   Link #793
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
im gonna burn.... so kirino dyed her hair nao?
Kirino has been dying her hair since the very beginning. Light brown is not her natural colour.
Old 2010-11-13, 02:17   Link #794
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
How closely did you grow up together? Westermark's effect mostly refers to those raised in the same household where they have continuous contact on a daily basis. If your 2nd cousin lived next door or down the street or something, the effect probably wouldn't happen.
Next door from when I was 3 to 15 (in Korea, US, then back to Korea), but we pretty much played slept at each other's house 4~5 days a week. There was a 5 year gap after that (and I went on to live in Japan), but then it was in the same house (just the two of us) for an year before we got engaged.
Old 2010-11-13, 02:31   Link #795
winkel

Quote:
Next door from when I was 3 to 15 (in Korea, US, then back to Korea), but we pretty much played slept at each other's house 4~5 days a week. There was a 5 year gap after that (and I went on to live in Japan), but then it was in the same house (just the two of us) for an year before we got engaged.
Going to go out on a limb, but the absence from early age (1-3) in addition to the fact that she was next door and not with you 24/7 during childhood created some level of mental illusion of differentiation probably leading to the non-Westermark effect.

And of course, it doesn't matter anymore once you've hit the sexually active age.

Quote:
With Kyousuke and Kirino, he's 17 and she's 14, so the Westermark effect should be in place since they fall within the 2-6 age range. We don't know what age they were when they started drifting apart, though.
And just to toss it out there, Kyousuke has mentioned something along the lines of that he was present when Kirino was born, so 99% chance blood related, and they grew up together.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 02:37   Link #796
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Going to go out on a limb, but the absence from early age (1-3) in addition to the fact that she was next door and not with you 24/7 during childhood created some level of mental illusion of differentiation probably leading to the non-Westermark effect.

And of course, it doesn't matter anymore once you've hit the sexually active age.
Before we continue: It was he (I'm not a fujoshi for nothing).

So basically, the age circumstances and the lack of 24/7 (I mean, I'm not sure even siblings are like that, but then I lived apart from my brothers) seems to be the factors in my situation, correct/
Old 2010-11-13, 02:42   Link #797
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Before we continue: It was he (I'm not a fujoshi for nothing).

So basically, the age circumstances and the lack of 24/7 (I mean, I'm not sure even siblings are like that, but then I lived apart from my brothers) seems to be the factors in my situation, correct/
Pretty much. Of course it's possible you're an exception to the rule (which isn't a rule, just a theory. There are many other attempts at explaining why people generally avoid incest). In any case, you two seem happy together and that's what's important
Old 2010-11-13, 08:56   Link #798
Sumeragi
Banned

Does the novels have stats of characters, or do I have to wait for the PSP game?

The below is what I have of Kirino.

*Tries to resist getting nosebleeds from imagining Ruri’s numbers
Old 2010-11-13, 09:54   Link #799
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

For all you guys who read doujinshis I REALLY recommend D.L action 56. If you know what's coming for volume 8 then this doujinshi matches it sooooo much.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 12:52   Link #800
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Does the novels have stats of characters, or do I have to wait for the PSP game?

*Tries to resist getting nosebleeds from imagining Ruri’s numbers
Here are the profile pages from the first 2 novels:

Tags
comedy, shounen