Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-25, 23:28   Link #8021
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
. I don't like Captain, never have. I think Carolina really needs to find a playmaker to replace Steve Smith and another corner to fill Chris Gamble's void. I pegged them at 9-7 at best this year.
Why hate for the Captain man
Old 2013-12-26, 04:30   Link #8022
Samari
World's Greatest

I can't believe there is a receiver named Marvin McNutt in the NFL. Yeah, Carolina needs help.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 16:17   Link #8023
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Florida hires Duke's Offensive Coordinator to fill our vacant spot. Well, at least it's not Lane Kiffin, don't know if this guy can just make the jump from ACC to SEC, but we'll see. At least we'll have an uptempo/spread offense next year, that should make the offense immediately more watchable, especially with our QB recruit Will Grier at the helm. We've added 4 star recruits at all the skill positions too, and our defense still has most of the talent on it from the past year so we should be the best defense in the SEC still. I can see us having an immediate turnaround year in 2014 like Missouri and Auburn had this year. We should make that four team playoff hopefully, and I hope FSU is in it too...

lol, wouldn't it be fucked up if the four team playoff consisted of Florida, FSU, Alabama, and Auburn?
Old 2013-12-26, 16:29   Link #8024
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Aaron Rodgers is reportedly going to play in week 17.

Any predictions for week 17?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 16:50   Link #8025
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

RIP Burs .
Old 2013-12-26, 17:02   Link #8026
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Why hate for the Captain man
I think he's good for guarding the opposing teams No. 2. He's alright. He's got decent speed, but I don't think he's skilled enough to take on No. 1 WRs like Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson, Demaryius Thomas, etc. I don't trust him when he has a 1 on 1 matchup.
Old 2013-12-26, 20:12   Link #8027
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Right, so I had pretty much decided that I was through in this forum and was pondering requesting for my account to be disabled when I came across this. I just feel compelled to reply.

Bro, you're my favorite member in this thread, but this is simply not true. Carolina has overachieved major this year.
~snipped for space
First off why the account disabeling??????

Second, damn you broke that down pretty good...Kinda making me feel worst...i just know despite everybody thinking the Saints being stacked, we basically only have like 7 high-level NFL players...

Drew Brees
Jimmy Graham
Keenan Lewis
Kenny Vaccaro
Cam Jordan
Junior Galette
Darren Sproles
Pierre Thomas (if this guy played for like Buffalo he'd get 1500 yards, 2000 total offense easily)
Before he was hurt for the season: Jabari Greer

Lance Moore, Colston, Toon, are all slow as shit, and Kenny Stills just isn't seasoned enough to do what Devery Henderson did or what Meachem can only do once a game...That's why we threw like a hundred screens giving Luke Kuechly a scouter power-ranking of OVER 9000!!!!

Ryan was brought in because he's known for doing alot with a little in-terms of motivating guys...You see what happened when Vaccaro got hurt we had to rely on Roman Harper and the 2nd year corner, we got fugged in the end...

Our offensive line as the nation now knows is atrocious, and that includes all-pro joke Jahri Evans who has sucked a$$ for 3 consecutive years following his contract extension...Ben Grubbs?? My god how did the Ravens win with him at guard...I think you already know how wack former Panthers'-center Brian De la Puenta is...

So coming into this season I predicted a 9-7 record having no clue Rob Ryan could fix the defense this dramatically...

This is what happens when you don't suck for 9 straight years, you have a roster filled with whomevers while the San Frans and Seattle's of the world have like 10 probowlers on each side...

Carolina aswell...Now I know yall WRs have been woeful for years, but other than that compared to the Saints I'd say yall got us totally beat on the offensive and defensive lines, LBs, and RBs (Might even say coach since Sean Payton has been awful since the Dallas game)...So that was basically where I was coming from...

In a perfect world when that dome is rocking you can put the Waterboy in there and he'll get some run, but in these road games our lack of talent is showing....
Old 2013-12-26, 20:16   Link #8028
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I don't want to sound like I am worrying out of nothing, but Jadeveon Clowney has been caught speeding again. The first time wouldn't count as much, but a second time could have some people rising eyebrows.

Speeding Clowney

Also, Suzuku, I am surprise that you haven't mentioned that the Jaguars may be coaching for the Senior Bowl. Jaguars to coach Senior Bowl?
Old 2013-12-26, 21:37   Link #8029
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I hadn't heard about till now. Hopefully, if we do, Bradley will find some defensive players we like.

As far as our first pick is concerned, I'm leaning more and more on us using it on Manziel. Not even as a trade back, I think we should straight up take him with our top 3 pick. He's a rare talent and the more I think about it, the more the concerns everyone brings up like his mechanics, playing style, and "character issues" are just boogiemen. Plus, having Manziel, Luck, and Bridgewater (assuming Houston takes him) all in the same conference would be something to see.
Old 2013-12-26, 21:45   Link #8030
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Clowney could have been excused for a one-off...but two in a few weeks....teams will question his behaviours away from the field now as well as his judgement in general. At the very least, by South Carolina law, that should be a suspended license.

Watching vids of Bridgewater, I've got 2 major concerns about him - his ability to scramble and his seeming reluctance/lower accuracy to the middle of the field or slot routes. Deep ball, sideline throws, presence in the pocket - pretty darn good. Chunk yardage that wasn't screen plays seemed to be lacking.
Old 2013-12-26, 21:52   Link #8031
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

He's not a good scrambler. He is mobile and can run and do roll out plays, but he's not going to make anyone miss. And yeah I see him overthrow down the middle a lot too. Another concern (a smaller one for me though) is his frame. He honestly reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers. I think he'll be good but maybe not great. I think Manziel can be great. He has rare skills and talents at the QB position. Fran Tarkenton meets Roger Staubach meets Joe Montana.
Old 2013-12-26, 22:19   Link #8032
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I hadn't heard about till now. Hopefully, if we do, Bradley will find some defensive players we like.

As far as our first pick is concerned, I'm leaning more and more on us using it on Manziel. Not even as a trade back, I think we should straight up take him with our top 3 pick. He's a rare talent and the more I think about it, the more the concerns everyone brings up like his mechanics, playing style, and "character issues" are just boogiemen. Plus, having Manziel, Luck, and Bridgewater (assuming Houston takes him) all in the same conference would be something to see.
I am not quite sure. In everyone's opinion, is Manziel worthy of a top 3 pick?

I follow the draft and looked at the highlights of his games all year. He is a dual threat Quarterback, but he isn't as polish yet as Russel Wilson when it comes to the mechanics of a Quarterback. I do not want to be the next RG3 fiasco. We as well do not have the foundation that Seattle had when they brought in Wilson. Franchise Quarterback is our biggest need, no question. However, there are so many great Quarterbacks on par or if not better than Manziel in 2015. Also, with Manziel, there is no exaggeration about his off field issues. If given top 5 pick money, can anyone honesty say he will not cause trouble? In this draft alone we can fix so many holes and fix our Quarterback problems in 2015.

Manziel has the playmaking ability, but I severely do not see it translating into the NFL. NFL is a different world from College.

It is not appealing to many people here in Jacksonville, but I see it as the safest route. A first round pick must be a home run not a strikeout. The safest pick by far for our situation is Jadeveon Clowney. He is a one of the life time defensive end that can play any role.

If Manziel falls into the second round, then I say take him. We should not over reach.
Old 2013-12-26, 23:13   Link #8033
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
but he isn't as polish yet as Russel Wilson when it comes to the mechanics of a Quarterback.
People make this comparison a lot but it's just not applicable. Yes, they're both short QBs who can run, but they're different types of players. Manziel has a different skill set that's more unique than Wilson and plays differently. The mechanic issues he has as a QB, I do not see being necessary to fix, honestly. Part of his skill set is being able to throw the ball off balance to any receiver on the field. Joe Montana did this all the time and it's not something most QBs can do because they don't have the awareness, instincts, and arm talent for it, but Manziel does. Wilson doesn't have the improv skills Manziel does, he's much more of a traditional QB and mostly likes to stick with the plays if he can. Manziel plays more loosely but that's not a detriment when a player has his kind of instincts. Wilson flat out isn't as fast or quick as Manziel and isn't as great at making people miss in the open field...and Wilson is very good at that.

I think people overstate this "polished" thing when it comes to QBs. Some of if not the best QBs in history were not what you would consider perfect at all the mechanics a QB is supposed to have, but they were great because they had a knack for making plays. Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Doug Flutie, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Johnny Unitas. None of these guys were perfectly polished QBs and had off kilter styles in their game, but that's what made them great. Everyone has a learning curve and I think Manziel will get better and adjust to what he has to do as he plays in the NFL. Cam Newton had to do the same thing, and they're overall very similar players.

Quote:
I do not want to be the next RG3 fiasco.
Well that's not possible with us because we a) wouldn't be trading away a bunch of future draft picks to trade up and b) it would be Caldwell/Bradley's direct decision and no the meddling owner forcing it on them. Those facts completely change the dynamic in the first place. Also, the problem with RGIII is that he can't read defenses and didn't have an offseason to develop his game and stay ready. The offensive system at Baylor did everything for him. Johnny actually is tasked with making decisions in TAMU's system and is given the direct responsibility to read the spying linebacker and decide whether to keep the ball or give it off to a RB in a split second. Given his reaction speed and the fact he's already starting to read defenses, there's no reason to believe he can't adapt and learn to do so in the NFL. The mental aspect of Johnny's game is stronger than RGIII's was coming out.

Quote:
We as well do not have the foundation that Seattle had when they brought in Wilson. Franchise Quarterback is our biggest need, no question.
We don't on defense but that's not the side of the ball Johnny plays on. Our O-Line has improved vastly since getting more used to the zone blocking scheme, and we have a right tackle in Pasztor and a left in Joekel (who played with Manziel at TAMU). All we need to do is replace Meester and maybe one guard and the O-Line will be basically "fixed". Even without Blackmon we have a great young receiving core, and if MJD and Todman return and Denard develops, we'll have a great running back core. So the foundation on offense will be every bit ready to for Manziel/our QB.

Quote:
Also, with Manziel, there is no exaggeration about his off field issues. If given top 5 pick money, can anyone honesty say he will not cause trouble? In this draft alone we can fix so many holes and fix our Quarterback problems in 2015.
That crap is so over exaggerated. Ever since the season started he's done absolutely nothing wrong and what he did in the offseason (nothing more than any college student with rich parents would do) had no effect on his play on the field and he actually got better; that alone should show you he's locked in and serious about football and his partying is of very little concern. Other than that, there's nothing he's done that suggests character issues. And if you're really concerned about that, then you should be happy he's coming to a city like Jacksonville that has very little to offer in terms of distractions like that in the first place. In the end, you can't judge a man without speaking to him in person, And if he passes the interview process and shows he's not the devil, if character issues are your main concern, you have no reason not to draft him if you like his overall skill set and thinks he can bring something special to the program.

Quote:
Manziel has the playmaking ability, but I severely do not see it translating into the NFL. NFL is a different world from College.
The QB that recorded the longest playing time and broke all the passing, rushing, and touchdown records for the position at the time, was Johnny's height if not shorter, and lead his team to three super bowls played EXACTLY like Manziel with less down the field speed and quickness and less arm strength, in a time where defensive players could literally maul the QB and receivers. Manziel's playing style WILL translate to the NFL, I have no doubt about it. He has a rare combination of skills, abilities, and measurable that will not only make him durable in the NFL but will make him a great QB, the best out of this draft. And I'm certain of that.

And anyway, it's one thing to play in college and it's another thing to do what he does against the SEC. The only players to ever tear up SEC defenses like him that I can think of are Archie Manning, Fran Tarkenton, and Cam Newton...and all those guys turned out to be pretty good in the NFL.

Quote:
It is not appealing to many people here in Jacksonville, but I see it as the safest route. A first round pick must be a home run not a strikeout. The safest pick by far for our situation is Jadeveon Clowney. He is a one of the life time defensive end that can play any role.
If you're worried about Johnny's character issues then you should be just as worried about Clowney. He has motivation questions, whether he really loves the game or is just in it for himself, and not to mention all the rumors of him being an ass to teammates. I don't buy into all that stuff but if you're going to use it against Johnny you should take it into account for Clowney as well. Not to mention I'm honest to god scared of Clowney turning out to be an injury prone player. Those bone spurs in his ankles seem to be really hampering him and they've been a problem for him since high school. I don't see him being an every down DE like Watt that gives 100% effort and I think all the hype could hurt him. I would be severly disappointed if we pass up on Manziel, take Clowney, and Manziel turns out to tear up NFL teams...which he will.

Overall I think you're only looking at the potential negatives and not the positives. I didn't even go into how he'd bring national attention to the franchise and possibly get us SNF and MNF games or how he matches the philosophy Gus and Caldwell laid out when they were first hired.

Last edited by Suzuku; 2013-12-26 at 23:24.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 23:24   Link #8034
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
However, there are so many great Quarterbacks on par or if not better than Manziel in 2015.
Well as an organization it's important to show the fans you're trying and putting it off to next year is not a good idea. Being horrible another year to try and get a QB then is not good. I know I was for it before, but I think Manziel is a rare talent now and he's worth it this season. The only QB I think would be better or even on par with Manziel next year is Winston. Hundley, Petty, Mariota...I don't like any of them like Manziel. Manziel is a special player. And to be honest Mariota just smells like real bust potential to me and Hundley is basically Gabbert 2.0 right now. I don't like the idea of us passing on Manziel and waiting till next year to FINALLY try and get a QB who probably won't even be as good as him.
Old 2013-12-26, 23:56   Link #8035
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
People make this comparison a lot but it's just not applicable. Yes, they're both short QBs who can run, but they're different types of players. Manziel has a different skill set that's more unique than Wilson and plays differently. The mechanic issues he has as a QB, I do not see being necessary to fix, honestly. Part of his skill set is being able to throw the ball off balance to any receiver on the field. Joe Montana did this all the time and it's not something most QBs can do because they don't have the awareness, instincts, and arm talent for it, but Manziel does. Wilson doesn't have the improv skills Manziel does, he's much more of a traditional QB and mostly likes to stick with the plays if he can. Manziel plays more loosely but that's not a detriment when a player has his kind of instincts. Wilson flat out isn't as fast or quick as Manziel and isn't as great at making people miss in the open field...and Wilson is very good at that.

I think people overstate this "polished" thing when it comes to QBs. Some of if not the best QBs in history were not what you would consider perfect at all the mechanics a QB is supposed to have, but they were great because they had a knack for making plays. Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Doug Flutie, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Johnny Unitas. None of these guys were perfectly polished QBs and had off kilter styles in their game, but that's what made them great. Everyone has a learning curve and I think Manziel will get better and adjust to what he has to do as he plays in the NFL. Cam Newton had to do the same thing, and they're overall very similar players.

Well that's not possible with us because we a) wouldn't be trading away a bunch of future draft picks to trade up and b) it would be Caldwell/Bradley's direct decision and no the meddling owner forcing it on them. Those facts completely change the dynamic in the first place. Also, the problem with RGIII is that he can't read defenses and didn't have an offseason to develop his game and stay ready. The offensive system at Baylor did everything for him. Johnny actually is tasked with making decisions in TAMU's system and is given the direct responsibility to read the spying linebacker and decide whether to keep the ball or give it off to a RB in a split second. Given his reaction speed and the fact he's already starting to read defenses, there's no reason to believe he can't adapt and learn to do so in the NFL. The mental aspect of Johnny's game is stronger than RGIII's was coming out.

We don't on defense but that's not the side of the ball Johnny plays on. Our O-Line has improved vastly since getting more used to the zone blocking scheme, and we have a right tackle in Pasztor and a left in Joekel (who played with Manziel at TAMU). All we need to do is replace Meester and maybe one guard and the O-Line will be basically "fixed". Even without Blackmon we have a great young receiving core, and if MJD and Todman return and Denard develops, we'll have a great running back core. So the foundation on offense will be every bit ready to for Manziel/our QB.

That crap is so over exaggerated. Ever since the season started he's done absolutely nothing wrong and what he did in the offseason (nothing more than any college student with rich parents would do) had no effect on his play on the field and he actually got better; that alone should show you he's locked in and serious about football and his partying is of very little concern. Other than that, there's nothing he's done that suggests character issues. And if you're really concerned about that, then you should be happy he's coming to a city like Jacksonville that has very little to offer in terms of distractions like that in the first place. In the end, you can't judge a man without speaking to him in person, And if he passes the interview process and shows he's not the devil, if character issues are your main concern, you have no reason not to draft him if you like his overall skill set and thinks he can bring something special to the program.

The QB that recorded the longest playing time and broke all the passing, rushing, and touchdown records for the position at the time, was Johnny's height if not shorter, and lead his team to three super bowls played EXACTLY like Manziel with less down the field speed and quickness and less arm strength, in a time where defensive players could literally maul the QB and receivers. Manziel's playing style WILL translate to the NFL, I have no doubt about it. He has a rare combination of skills, abilities, and measurable that will not only make him durable in the NFL but will make him a great QB, the best out of this draft. And I'm certain of that.

And anyway, it's one thing to play in college and it's another thing to do what he does against the SEC. The only players to ever tear up SEC defenses like him that I can think of are Archie Manning, Fran Tarkenton, and Cam Newton...and all those guys turned out to be pretty good in the NFL.

If you're worried about Johnny's character issues then you should be just as worried about Clowney. He has motivation questions, whether he really loves the game or is just in it for himself, and not to mention all the rumors of him being an ass to teammates. I don't buy into all that stuff but if you're going to use it against Johnny you should take it into account for Clowney as well. Not to mention I'm honest to god scared of Clowney turning out to be an injury prone player. Those bone spurs in his ankles seem to be really hampering him and they've been a problem for him since high school. I don't see him being an every down DE like Watt that gives 100% effort and I think all the hype could hurt him. I would be severly disappointed if we pass up on Manziel, take Clowney, and Manziel turns out to tear up NFL teams...which he will.

Overall I think you're only looking at the potential negatives and not the positives. I didn't even go into how he'd bring national attention to the franchise and possibly get us SNF and MNF games or how he matches the philosophy Gus and Caldwell laid out when they were first hired.
Quote:
Well as an organization it's important to show the fans you're trying and putting it off to next year is not a good idea. Being horrible another year to try and get a QB then is not good. I know I was for it before, but I think Manziel is a rare talent now and he's worth it this season. The only QB I think would be better or even on par with Manziel next year is Winston. Hundley, Petty, Mariota...I don't like any of them like Manziel. Manziel is a special player. And to be honest Mariota just smells like real bust potential to me and Hundley is basically Gabbert 2.0 right now. I don't like the idea of us passing on Manziel and waiting till next year to FINALLY try and get a QB who probably won't even be as good as him.
You make an compelling argument, but I still say he isn't a top 3 pick. Top 10 maybe, top 15 is definitely, but unless I have a crystal ball to see in the future, I can not say I like him as a top 3 pick. The Quarterbacks you mentioned played in a different football era. He will need to improve his mechanics, everyone has to and he is no exception there is always room to grow.

I was probably too critical of him about his character, but there is risks involved. Its a double edge sword about his charisma, if it goes good and he plays well alright. However, if it is on the other side, then its a problem.

I am looking at Brett Smith from Wyoming, him and Manziel are awfully similar. With some analysts stating Smith is an almost exact replica of Manziel. If we were to choose a Quarterback in this draft, it would be in the later rounds.

Clowney has subtle issues no doubt, but I feel more confident in him. He was a first round talent even before he went into college but he couldn't due to the rules. He is a one in the life time defensive end and will fix our pass rush.

Fans who take great hurt that if Caldwell passes on Quarterback this year are not really knowledgeable. Fans right now sees the vision, they will understand. I will trust Caldwell's judgement more than myself and any analysts out there. He drafted two of the best Quarterbacks in the league, he knows what makes a franchise Quarterback.

I am willing to wait next year. The Texans, Browns, and Raiders will most likely get their Quarterback this year. 3 of the 4 teams that are desperate for a Quarterback minus us will have theirs this year and will not be in the hunt for next year. 4 other teams, the Titans, Buccaneers, Eagles, and Rams are interested, but most likely developed their Quarterbacks right now rather than start from scratch next year. It is highly likely we can find our franchise Quarterback next year with so many options for us due to the lack of competition.

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2013-12-27 at 00:07.
Old 2013-12-27, 00:56   Link #8036
VTHokiePride

If you guys haven't heard it yet, Nnamdi Asomugha and Brandon Stokley are both calling it quits. Nnamdi is retiring with the Raiders. I think another team would be willing to roll the dice with him if he's willing to take the veteran minimum.
Old 2013-12-27, 03:52   Link #8037
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Aaron Rodgers is reportedly going to play in week 17.

Any predictions for week 17?
Spoiler for Predictions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I don't want to sound like I am worrying out of nothing, but Jadeveon Clowney has been caught speeding again. The first time wouldn't count as much, but a second time could have some people rising eyebrows.

Speeding Clowney
Not too much but that is something to worry about. I don't think it will affect his draft status yet, but he is getting ever so close to. Some draft boards I have seen have the Raiders taking him (and that's assuming the Jaguars take a QB with their pick) with their pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
If you guys haven't heard it yet, Nnamdi Asomugha and Brandon Stokley are both calling it quits. Nnamdi is retiring with the Raiders. I think another team would be willing to roll the dice with him if he's willing to take the veteran minimum.
And it was just 3 years ago that Nnamdi was known as a shutdown corner with the Raiders. Well, at least he will retire with the team that drafted him.
Old 2013-12-27, 12:00   Link #8038
VTHokiePride

Tony Romo underwent back surgery and will not be placed on Injured Reserve. It was inevitable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...orton-to-start
Old 2013-12-27, 12:09   Link #8039
GDB

Will be*

Though does injured reserve do anything for them as far as saving money goes, or does it just free up a slot on the roster for a game?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 12:47   Link #8040
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Will be*

Though does injured reserve do anything for them as far as saving money goes, or does it just free up a slot on the roster for a game?
It does indeed free a roster spot, but I am unsure if they save any money. Samari most likely knows the answer to this question when he comes online.

Tags
american football, sports