AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-01-02, 13:13   Link #8121
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Bortles looked very great against a very tough defense of Baylor.
I have to disagree there. Baylor's defense is trash.

And I'm pretty certain his draft grade will be second round. He just isn't first round material right now. I'm not so sure he helped his draft stock as much as some of those people are making out. One of the announcers believed he didn't help his draft stock last night and I have to agree. Even though he finished strong, he still struggled early on and you could see his flaws. Great body, lot of upside, not ready for the NFL right now, which is what I thought going in. In the end I'd still take Manziel over him. Now, that doesn't mean some team won't draft him in the top 10 in the hopes he'll reach his potential, but he really strikes me as another Locker right now, hopefully without the injury problems.

Looking past QBs, I really like Seastrunk. If we get a RB I hope we draft him. I've been looking at some big WR we could possibly find a steal in the third or fourth round hat can either replace or compliment Blackmon. I've found names like Cody Hoffman, Donte Moncrief, and L`damian Washington.
Old 2014-01-02, 13:26   Link #8122
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Cleveland seem very keen on McDaniels, the New England OC.
Old 2014-01-02, 14:55   Link #8123
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I have to disagree there. Baylor's defense is trash.
Baylor actually has the 28th total best defense in the entire NCAA, ranked 13th in total passing defense is the most important detail.

As for Bortles, I still say wait until the combine to decide if the Jaguars should draft him at 3.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 16:25   Link #8124
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Jay Cutler re-signs with Chicago Bears through 2020, 7 years for $54 million.

Well...that settles it for now. Time for Chicago to draft a defense.
Old 2014-01-02, 16:29   Link #8125
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I know what I saw last night, and I saw a defense that couldn't stop the run at all. It was terrible. Season stats don't mean that much in college given the disparity in competition. And I don't put as much weight on the combine as I do the eye test for when they're really in the game. Bortles can combine nicely, Gabbert did, but that's not a substitute for how they actually perform on the field.
Old 2014-01-02, 16:30   Link #8126
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post

Well...that settles it for now. Time for Chicago to draft a defense.
That is quite a bargain, though I think 7 years is too much plus 50 million is guaranteed. Averaging it out, it is around 7 million a year.

Quote:
I know what I saw last night, and I saw a defense that couldn't stop the run at all. It was terrible. Season stats don't mean that much in college given the disparity in competition. And I don't put as much weight on the combine as I do the eye test for when they're really in the game. Bortles can combine nicely, Gabbert did, but that's not a substitute for how they actually perform on the field.
Guess it is a matter of opinion, you really can't judge a defense on one game. Blake Bortles make some mistakes but played very good. Lets leave it at that. What other players were you watching over these bowl games?

In particular what is your opinion on Stanford's Inside Linebacker Shayne Skov? The Jaguars forums been discussing about him a lot. He is a ILB, but if converted into to the LEO position and many say he is more effective in that role. His explosiveness and aggressive, very smart as well. He has the habit of being too aggressive and lunges a bit too much. His productivty and skill set has been everyone to say he is a first round talent. However, he tore his ACL in 2011 resulting in a sub par production in 2012 which is why he is considered a 2nd to 3rd round prospect. So many teams are wary of him, but he looked excellent. If he is there on the 3rd round, I will say take him.

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2014-01-02 at 18:51.
Old 2014-01-02, 22:56   Link #8127
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Ill have to look into him more but he could definitely be a potential steal. My thing is where we draft him. If we draft a QB in the first round I think it would be a good idea to focus mostly on offense in the earlier rounds to build around them and make sure they're not coming into a subpar situation.
Old 2014-01-03, 00:09   Link #8128
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Ill have to look into him more but he could definitely be a potential steal. My thing is where we draft him. If we draft a QB in the first round I think it would be a good idea to focus mostly on offense in the earlier rounds to build around them and make sure they're not coming into a subpar situation.
Initially, yes that would be best since the offense has more needs. However, that is debatable until the Jaguars finished free agency. In particularly, many fans are keen on signing Hakeem Nicks and Alex Mack as the only two big signing that the Jaguars should ever take for 2014. Though I think Alex Mack will stay in Cleveland and Nicks could possibly return to the Giants despite them treating him quite awfully this year though that will put them in a pickle trying to resign Linval Joseph and Austin Howard. Plus Nicks and Mack are expensive, but Nicks may be reasonable for the Jaguars to go after.. Another free agent that has been hitting rumors is Michael Bennett from Seattle as the Seahawks cap situation is at $4,991,607. It may not be enough for Bennett and the Seahawks will not want to spend the rest of their Cap Salary on a single player especially if they want to resign Golden Tate. Think Bennett would be keen to sign with the Jaguars if the price is to his liking to return playing for Gus Bradley.

Free Agency isn't my expertise however, it is more in the realms of GDB and Samari.

Looking at it the Jaguars situation if we do not find solution in free agents. The Jaguars need two new guards, a center, quarterback, and a wide receiver. While on defense, we need just need two defensive tackles and a LEO. All else is drafting for development and depth.

Looking at the draft boards. Highly think we will select Manziel in the first round, so my prediction are base on that. I am thinking that we should select Cyril Richardson OG from Baylor at the second round. Right now torn between Skov and Michael Sam for 3rd.

This is the list for the cap situation of all teams right now.

49ers: $10,262,764
Bears: $48,801,181
Bengals: $26,747,706
Bills: $34,858,042
Broncos: $14,147,463
Browns: $51,114,534
Buccaneers: $17,852,412
Chargers: $1,240,414
Cardinals: $10,545,254
Chiefs: $6,892,740
Colts: $38,807,360
Cowboys: - $20,791,160
Dolphins: $38,002,788
Eagles: $23,897,508
Falcons: $10,983,236
Giants: $17,085,796
Jaguars: $59,006,851
Jets: $27,014,558
Lions: $7,144,324
Packers: $27,990,348
Panthers: $19,816,772
Patriots: $7,936,944
Raiders: $70,160,327
Rams: $4,052,714
Ravens: $16,638,889
Redskins: $18,564,522
Saints: - $9,411,880
Seahawks: $4,991,607
Steelers: - $7,782,045
Texans: $9,246,940
Titans: $11,407,952
Vikings: $29,530,228

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2014-01-03 at 00:37.
Old 2014-01-03, 02:22   Link #8129
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

How do the Bears have $48 million to use...

Oh wait....they're always relatively tight with their contracts in Chicago.

For a team badly in need of fixing whatever they can, Washington doesn't have much to use on a relative scale.
Old 2014-01-03, 04:57   Link #8130
sky black swordman

Quote:
Well, unlike last year we will definitely be active during free agency.

Quote:
I wonder what these teams are going to do to fix their cap problems? They may be forced to cut many or a few of their key players and play makers.
Old 2014-01-03, 07:25   Link #8131
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Polamalu has a very expensive year coming if Pittsburgh retain him. Don't be surprised if has to move on.

Dallas - Hatcher has an expensive year coming if retained. Doubt he will be. Expect Dallas to release a few of the front seven and draft to replace them IMO.

Atlanta has a low amount. They are probably confined to the draft at that rate.
Old 2014-01-03, 13:43   Link #8132
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Initially, yes that would be best since the offense has more needs. However, that is debatable until the Jaguars finished free agency. In particularly, many fans are keen on signing Hakeem Nicks and Alex Mack as the only two big signing that the Jaguars should ever take for 2014. Though I think Alex Mack will stay in Cleveland and Nicks could possibly return to the Giants despite them treating him quite awfully this year though that will put them in a pickle trying to resign Linval Joseph and Austin Howard. Plus Nicks and Mack are expensive, but Nicks may be reasonable for the Jaguars to go after.. Another free agent that has been hitting rumors is Michael Bennett from Seattle as the Seahawks cap situation is at $4,991,607. It may not be enough for Bennett and the Seahawks will not want to spend the rest of their Cap Salary on a single player especially if they want to resign Golden Tate. Think Bennett would be keen to sign with the Jaguars if the price is to his liking to return playing for Gus Bradley.

Free Agency isn't my expertise however, it is more in the realms of GDB and Samari.

Looking at it the Jaguars situation if we do not find solution in free agents. The Jaguars need two new guards, a center, quarterback, and a wide receiver. While on defense, we need just need two defensive tackles and a LEO. All else is drafting for development and depth.

Looking at the draft boards. Highly think we will select Manziel in the first round, so my prediction are base on that. I am thinking that we should select Cyril Richardson OG from Baylor at the second round. Right now torn between Skov and Michael Sam for 3rd.

This is the list for the cap situation of all teams right now.

49ers: $10,262,764
Bears: $48,801,181
Bengals: $26,747,706
Bills: $34,858,042
Broncos: $14,147,463
Browns: $51,114,534
Buccaneers: $17,852,412
Chargers: $1,240,414
Cardinals: $10,545,254
Chiefs: $6,892,740
Colts: $38,807,360
Dolphins: $38,002,788
Eagles: $23,897,508
Falcons: $10,983,236
Giants: $17,085,796
Jaguars: $59,006,851
Jets: $27,014,558
Lions: $7,144,324
Packers: $27,990,348
Panthers: $19,816,772
Patriots: $7,936,944
Rams: $4,052,714
Ravens: $16,638,889
Redskins: $18,564,522
Seahawks: $4,991,607
Texans: $9,246,940
Titans: $11,407,952
Vikings: $29,530,228
I agree drafting Cyril Richardson in the second round. Then I would draft a DE in the third, a center in the fourth, and then a RB with our second fourth round pick and a receiver with one of our fifth. Wouldn't be surprised if we use our other two fifth rounders on DBs or at least a CB or FS and a LB.

As for free agency, Caldwell hinted in the end of the year presser that he doesn't plan on spending too much in free agency.
Old 2014-01-03, 15:02   Link #8133
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
I agree drafting Cyril Richardson in the second round. Then I would draft a DE in the third, a center in the fourth, and then a RB with our second fourth round pick and a receiver with one of our fifth. Wouldn't be surprised if we use our other two fifth rounders on DBs or at least a CB or FS and a LB.

As for free agency, Caldwell hinted in the end of the year presser that he doesn't plan on spending too much in free agency.
We don't necessarily need to draft a Defense End, but a LEO. Babin and Branch are currently the LEO in our defense, but Babin contract is too much and cutting him will not result in any dead money so it is possible he will get cut or traded. We will need to replace him, Branch has been evolving a a high rate in that position and is solid fit so no worries of him.

Gus Bradley defensive scheme isn't tailored for traditional defensive ends. A LEO is a pass rushing who is essentially a hybrid of having the skill set of a Linebacker and Defensive End. Often place in the weak side edge. Emphasize on an athlete specializing in explosiveness, powerful, intelligent, and quickness (4.7 speed) to stop the run as well hang around in the back field preventing short small passes. Reason why I was particularly about Clowney early on as he would have been able to fit any pass rusher roles. Also why I was also highly interested in Barr and Khalil Mack as they would be able to be molded in the LEO role. However, since we would most likely draft in a Quarterback in the first round and an offensive line in the second (surprise you didn't post any interest in Travis Swanson who is ranked 2nd round but the best center in the draft). We will most likely draft a LEO in the 3rd round, in particular I like Shayne Skov who is a linebacker that can be converted into that LEO very nicely and of course Michael Sam. Then there is a later pick at 4th for Jeremiah Attaochu from Georgia Tech who is an outside linebacker but transition into a DE this year. He possess all the skills for the LEO A nice pick at 4th considering he has the skill set of a second rounder through that stem from being too temperamental.

Already solved is the 5 technique defensive end occupied by Tyson Alualu who is fitting in the role quite well and is improving. At the rate of his progression, I wouldn't be surprise people would say he is producing the first round level when he was drafted in by the end of next year

Then for the defensive tackles. I misspoken when I said 2, its 1 that we need. We run a 4-3 defense so we are in need of 2 starting defensive tackles and 2 defensive ends who are in this case the LEO. A 1 technique defensive tackles, is basically a guy who eats up space usually take a guard and center away from the Linebackers and Defensive Ends for them to make a play. Purpose being is to stop the run in the inside or force the running back on the outside. If the running back heads in the inside, the Linebacker will have clear line to tackle him or if the running back heads on the outside, he will face the LEO on either side. The 1 technique defensive tackles will have to very big and powerful. We do not have that player right now. Which is why our run defense is suffering greatly because the Linebackers and Defensive Ends will be occupied with the offensive line. However, there is a clear 1 technique in the 4th round for the Jaguars which is Daniel McCullers from Tennessee. He often is scrutinize for not being a good pass rusher, but is raved upon stopping the run. He fits the 1 technique perfectly as we do not demand a pass rusher for the 1 technique, but to stuff the run or stop the run with the ability to get off double teams to make the play. Being a massive 6-7 tall and 351 pounds as well being surprisingly athletic and possessing good strength he will demand double teams freeing our Linebackers (solid group) and LEO (could be perfected next season). Our 3 technique defensive tackle is already solid with Sen'derrick marks fitting that role excellently and his still progressing in the role.

Anything else is for depth and development after that. What I outline is starters need on defense.

Update: Jaguars will coach the Senior Bowl South team while the Falcons will coach the North. Is there a complete roster of the team yet?

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2014-01-03 at 23:31.
Old 2014-01-04, 08:37   Link #8134
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
The actual figure is $126 million, or $18 million per year for seven years. The $54 million figure is guaranteed.

This seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend on Cutler given his rather checkered history in Chicago. That is the same annual salary that the Broncos pay Peyton Manning. Flacco has an equally ridiculous $20 million deal. Drew Brees comes in just under $10 million, and Aaron Rodgers gets paid about $5 million. Romo, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, and Vick all make about $12 million each.

Tom Brady restructured his deal to receive just $1 million and free up cap space. He received another $30 million in signing bonuses and overall will earn $57 million in the next five years. Of course, he isn't the primary wage earner in his household. His wife, Gisele Bundchen, is the highest earning model in the world. She pulled in $42 million in fiscal 2013.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-01-04 at 08:49.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 08:48   Link #8135
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Surprise by no comments for the Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl especially concerning Sammy Watkins.
Old 2014-01-04, 13:04   Link #8136
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
We don't necessarily need to draft a Defense End, but a LEO. Babin and Branch are currently the LEO in our defense, but Babin contract is too much and cutting him will not result in any dead money so it is possible he will get cut or traded. We will need to replace him, Branch has been evolving a a high rate in that position and is solid fit so no worries of him.

Gus Bradley defensive scheme isn't tailored for traditional defensive ends. A LEO is a pass rushing who is essentially a hybrid of having the skill set of a Linebacker and Defensive End. Often place in the weak side edge. Emphasize on an athlete specializing in explosiveness, powerful, intelligent, and quickness (4.7 speed) to stop the run as well hang around in the back field preventing short small passes. Reason why I was particularly about Clowney early on as he would have been able to fit any pass rusher roles. Also why I was also highly interested in Barr and Khalil Mack as they would be able to be molded in the LEO role. However, since we would most likely draft in a Quarterback in the first round and an offensive line in the second (surprise you didn't post any interest in Travis Swanson who is ranked 2nd round but the best center in the draft). We will most likely draft a LEO in the 3rd round, in particular I like Shayne Skov who is a linebacker that can be converted into that LEO very nicely and of course Michael Sam. Then there is a later pick at 4th for Jeremiah Attaochu from Georgia Tech who is an outside linebacker but transition into a DE this year. He possess all the skills for the LEO A nice pick at 4th considering he has the skill set of a second rounder through that stem from being too temperamental.

Already solved is the 5 technique defensive end occupied by Tyson Alualu who is fitting in the role quite well and is improving. At the rate of his progression, I wouldn't be surprise people would say he is producing the first round level when he was drafted in by the end of next year

Then for the defensive tackles. I misspoken when I said 2, its 1 that we need. We run a 4-3 defense so we are in need of 2 starting defensive tackles and 2 defensive ends who are in this case the LEO. A 1 technique defensive tackles, is basically a guy who eats up space usually take a guard and center away from the Linebackers and Defensive Ends for them to make a play. Purpose being is to stop the run in the inside or force the running back on the outside. If the running back heads in the inside, the Linebacker will have clear line to tackle him or if the running back heads on the outside, he will face the LEO on either side. The 1 technique defensive tackles will have to very big and powerful. We do not have that player right now. Which is why our run defense is suffering greatly because the Linebackers and Defensive Ends will be occupied with the offensive line. However, there is a clear 1 technique in the 4th round for the Jaguars which is Daniel McCullers from Tennessee. He often is scrutinize for not being a good pass rusher, but is raved upon stopping the run. He fits the 1 technique perfectly as we do not demand a pass rusher for the 1 technique, but to stuff the run or stop the run with the ability to get off double teams to make the play. Being a massive 6-7 tall and 351 pounds as well being surprisingly athletic and possessing good strength he will demand double teams freeing our Linebackers (solid group) and LEO (could be perfected next season). Our 3 technique defensive tackle is already solid with Sen'derrick marks fitting that role excellently and his still progressing in the role.

Anything else is for depth and development after that. What I outline is starters need on defense.

Update: Jaguars will coach the Senior Bowl South team while the Falcons will coach the North. Is there a complete roster of the team yet?
NFL scout Matt Miller just tweeted last night that Vic Beasley would work great as our LEO in Gus's defensive scheme. We could probably get him in the second round too.
Old 2014-01-04, 15:44   Link #8137
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Looks like there's a opening for a head coach in Tennessee ;o

Mike Munchak fired as head coach of Tennessee Titans
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 19:50   Link #8138
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
NFL scout Matt Miller just tweeted last night that Vic Beasley would work great as our LEO in Gus's defensive scheme. We could probably get him in the second round too.
Vic Beasley is a great prospect for the LEO position. Problem being is that most draft boards place him in the middle of the first round, it is highly unlikely that he will be available in the second round. If he is, best to select him.

However that would mean we would lost the opportunity to draft Travis Swanson the best center in the draft. However, there is reason to believe the Jaguars may sign a starting center in free agency. Brian De la Puente is likely out of the Saints as there is no cap space for a good deal for himself. The same situation for Fernando Velasco of the Steelers, there is no cap space. Then there is Evan Dietrich-Smith from the Packers. Brian De la Puente will most likely have suitors for him. However, Velasco and Evan are quality centers who will most likley not hit the bank as well they are low key. The Steelers will most likely snub Velasco and the Packers will focus on resigning James Jones and Sam Shield dwindling the chances of a good contract for Evan plus add into the fact that Packers are often involved in free agency a lot. We could get Velasco, Brian, and Evan for less than 3 million. All of them would be a starter for at least 4 years.

Then there is the LEO position to think about, I already touched on Michael Bennett and rumors persist about him. Gus Bradley had a connection with Bennett, so that may result in a discount for us to get him. LEO, Bennett wants to be one a time that will let him play more reps than on the Seahawks, he would instantly be the starter for the LEO position on this team. I believe we can get him at a quality 5 or 6 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Looks like there's a opening for a head coach in Tennessee ;o

Mike Munchak fired as head coach of Tennessee Titans
I was reading about that, I find it funny how many comments I read from many articles about this firing seems to speculate the lost to the Jaguars was a big reason.
Old 2014-01-04, 19:54   Link #8139
GDB

This game is ridiculous. Indy come back from like, 3 TDs down to get ahead. KC can easily still win, but wow.

Correction, 4 TDs. And they won. Wow. Greatest half time adjustment team ever?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 20:02   Link #8140
sky black swordman

And it's over!!! The Chiefs lose and the Colts win depite the turnovers!!

Tags
american football, sports