Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-07, 15:00   Link #801
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
But but but but he's already surrounded by girls! Two of his classmates, his sisters and the two senpai's. That's a harem!

Seriously, this is what my friend told me when read the manga.
I didn't know that about 20% of world population has or had a harem, while about another 20% of world population has or had a reverse-harem.

Yes I just pulled these numbers out of thin air with my magic, so don't ask for sources.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2014-04-07 at 15:35.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:08   Link #802
Caelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The magic system and overall setting aren't all that interesting yet. In fact they kind of feel generic. Not only do I get no sense that the tragedy of losing over half of the worlds population actually happened, the magic system is too "science" for my tastes. I know, Clarke's Laws, yeah yeah. But personally I like it when science and magic have boundaries from each other.
Why would you get a sense of tragedy when the war ended about 30 years before the current time in the story?
Caelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:13   Link #803
Caelus

Seriously where the hell do people get the whole harem thing from? just because there are female characters around doesn't mean that they will automatically fall for the mc and form a harem.
Caelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:18   Link #804
iCK

Why does Miyuki jump every time Tatsuya talks to her/touches her.
It's annoying how the anime makes it seem like she is more scared of her brother than loves him.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:18   Link #805
Death Usagi
Banned

Eh, incest route is welcome for the two 8D
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:36   Link #806
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
The magic system and overall setting aren't all that interesting yet. In fact they kind of feel generic. Not only do I get no sense that the tragedy of losing over half of the worlds population actually happened, the magic system is too "science" for my tastes. I know, Clarke's Laws, yeah yeah. But personally I like it when science and magic have boundaries from each other.
Dude, you are making the fundamental error of making science out to be a thing rather than a method of thought.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:44   Link #807
Birdway
Banned

This series is more like techno magic than magic from the old school.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:46   Link #808
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Free Avatars

Again other characters will come later on.
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2014-04-07, 15:47   Link #809
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelus View Post
Why would you get a sense of tragedy when the war ended about 30 years before the current time in the story?
Because serious wars have long lasting effects? This is a war that obliterated the world population and caused tremendous damage, redefining the national boundaries of the entire planet, and it even shifted the climate itself. Yet you see this beautiful town/city with people dressed very well and it looks like the war never happened.

It's sort of like if you meet up with your friend and, totally serious, he says "man, you should have been here five minutes ago, there was this crazy gun fight!"....and yet when you look around there doesn't appear to be anything which suggests he's telling the truth. No bullet holes, no shells, no victims, nothing. He's your friend, so you want to believe him....but there's no evidence to support his claim, so you feel skeptical.

Again, this is a commentary on the first episode. If future episodes show otherwise, my impressions will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
Dude, you are making the fundamental error of making science out to be a thing rather than a method of thought.
Erm...no? Science is a process, so is magic.
Old 2014-04-07, 16:00   Link #810
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Hm, maybe I understood your comment wrong. It's because I understood this sentence:
Quote:
But personally I like it when science and magic have boundaries from each other.
As you saying that science and magic are incompatible?
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!

Last edited by allfictions; 2014-04-07 at 17:17.
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 16:12   Link #811
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Because serious wars have long lasting effects? This is a war that obliterated the world population and caused tremendous damage, redefining the national boundaries of the entire planet, and it even shifted the climate itself. Yet you see this beautiful town/city with people dressed very well and it looks like the war never happened.
This isn't really contradictory. Much can happen in 30 years. Just compare Germany 1945 and 1975. While most German cities were smouldering ruins in 1945 those same cities were in a beautiful state with well-dressed people running around and no physical scars of the war to be seen. Now, of course a war that halved the world's population is an even bigger affair than World War 2, but that doesn't preclude significant recoveries, at least in some parts of the world.
Old 2014-04-07, 16:29   Link #812
c933103
FTNR

Is it just me that feel like the MC wanting to deepen the conflict between Yuutousei and Rettousei...?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 16:38   Link #813
Death Usagi
Banned

You want to know what there should be?

A fanart of Ayase and Kyosuke being in Miyuki and Tatsuya's outfits in a romantic setting
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 17:09   Link #814
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinZwei View Post

The I'd like this one.

Old 2014-04-07, 17:29   Link #815
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
Hm, maybe I understood your comment wrong. It's because I understood this sentence:

As you saying that science and magic are 2 different things?
I'm saying that wearing a mechanical armband that utilizes a holographic interface and calling it magic doesn't feel very....magical. That's why I referenced Clarke's Laws, in particular, the third one: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I just prefer my magic to feel less technological. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
This isn't really contradictory. Much can happen in 30 years. Just compare Germany 1945 and 1975. While most German cities were smouldering ruins in 1945 those same cities were in a beautiful state with well-dressed people running around and no physical scars of the war to be seen. Now, of course a war that halved the world's population is an even bigger affair than World War 2, but that doesn't preclude significant recoveries, at least in some parts of the world.
Germany isn't the best example, considering the wall and everything. But that wasn't what I was getting at. The start of the episode makes it a point to say "there was a horrendous war a few decades ago which did all these huge things", and the rest of the episode doesn't show that at all. The exposition may be important for the story as a whole, but it didn't seem to matter much for the first episode.

I realize they could be in a nice area and if you step outside the world could be rubble. All I'm saying is that the story starts with something incredibly huge and then focuses on some kids in a high class academy, and to me, it feels a little strange. And again, this is my impressions from the first episode, and I've already stated my opinions will probably change as future episodes air.
Old 2014-04-07, 17:31   Link #816
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:

It's sort of like if you meet up with your friend and, totally serious, he says "man, you should have been here five minutes ago, there was this crazy gun fight!"....and yet when you look around there doesn't appear to be anything which suggests he's telling the truth. No bullet holes, no shells, no victims, nothing. He's your friend, so you want to believe him....but there's no evidence to support his claim, so you feel skeptical.

Again, this is a commentary on the first episode. If future episodes show otherwise, my impressions will change.

You like Magic that is fantasy based and not Techno based. I can understand that.

I personally like Fantasy/Techno based magic if it's both. That's my favorite. But I also liked things like Harry Potter/ Index as well.

Well, this series is interesting. I've read more. Now I'm going to see more of this series, but only after reading Hamlet. I have some reading to do before I can read the next book in a series I like.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:00   Link #817
omega253

Quote:

I'll just be taking this, if that's alright. These are brilliant!

omega253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:20   Link #818
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
But but but but he's already surrounded by girls! Two of his classmates, his sisters and the two senpai's. That's a harem!

Seriously, this is what my friend told me when read the manga.
Can you even count? The guy:girl ratio is 2:3. 1:1 if you count Mikihiko. He was in the advertisement.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-07 at 21:17. Reason: no hints
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 18:42   Link #819
HypeDemolition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Can you even count? The guy:girl ratio is 2:3. 1:1 if you count Mikihiko. He was in the advertisement.

He said it was a friend and was talking about the manga, calm down lol.

Quote:
Thanks for these.
HypeDemolition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 19:15   Link #820
HandofFate

has there been a full va casting list revealed?

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural