AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-01-13, 17:44   Link #8261
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Despite what people say, I don't see Clowney as a fit for every pass scheme and don't think he's a fit for our LEO. I don't see him dropping back into coverage, he's always been just a straight up pressure guy. I think players like Mack, Barr, and even Vic Beasley with more versatility would be a better fit for our scheme than Clowney.

I get molding him, but something about him just gives me the feeling he won't do well dropping into coverage. And that motivation factor with him really does scare me. I don't want a guy who disappears after he gets paid.

As far as dominance, he didn't dominate the SEC this year. When I watch him to be honest he sometimes struggles against tackles and doesn't have a good swim move or counter moves in general. If he doesn't get past you with the first burst and can't overpower you he's kind of useless after that point. Mack already has a great swim move and is good at adjusting to blockers to get past them. And I'd rather take Mack + Murphy than just Clowney anyway. Also, in my scenario the Rams draft Clowney at 2 or trade back with someone else who will like Atlanta.
Old 2014-01-13, 17:52   Link #8262
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Past that, the player I'm most interested in there is Keith McGill. He's nearly the same size as Richard Sherman, a little bigger actually, and in that scenario will be drafted at a similar spot. I'm hoping Gus can mold him into another bargain bin star like Richard Sherman. We need a big, physical CB and I think McGill could be that for us. If we were to daft that pass rush in the early rounds, and get Quarles in the fifth along with McGill I think our defense will be well on its way to being dominant with another year of development. The pass rush will instantly upgrade the secondary, on top of those guys naturally developing and getting better going into their second years in the league and adding a big CB back there on top of that...I'm salivating at the potential.
Old 2014-01-13, 17:54   Link #8263
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Despite what people say, I don't see Clowney as a fit for every pass scheme and don't think he's a fit for our LEO. I don't see him dropping back into coverage, he's always been just a straight up pressure guy. I think players like Mack, Barr, and even Vic Beasley with more versatility would be a better fit for our scheme than Clowney.

I get molding him, but something about him just gives me the feeling he won't do well dropping into coverage. And that motivation factor with him really does scare me. I don't want a guy who disappears after he gets paid.

As far as dominance, he didn't dominate the SEC this year. When I watch him to be honest he sometimes struggles against tackles and doesn't have a good swim move or counter moves in general. If he doesn't get past you with the first burst and can't overpower you he's kind of useless after that point. Mack already has a great swim move and is good at adjusting to blockers to get past them.
Hmm, I think the reason why Clowney didn't appear motivated was because he was trying to keep his body healthy. We'll have to wait until the Combine to see his prowess physically. Though I think I am slowly changing my mind.

However, I do agree on Barr. He can be molded into a LEO, in fact he plays like one a lot. He is more skilled than Mack. Though if the Jaguars draft him, I think they should draft him as a DE rather an OLB.

Another situation is that, if we get Cleveland's first rounders. We may try to be greedy to get additional picks like a first pick with an additional second pick. We get more bang for our buck. I think we should target the 10's to draft back if we manage to get Cleveland's picks. as Drafting Kony Ealy would be good. He is more physical than Clowney, though a step behind in speed. However he still is a 4.7 speed which is needed for the LEO.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 17:59   Link #8264
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Hmm, I think the reason why Clowney didn't appear motivated was because he was trying to keep his body healthy. We'll have to wait until the Combine to see his prowess physically. Though I think I am slowly changing my mind.

However, I do agree on Barr. He can be molded into a LEO, in fact he plays like one a lot. He is more skilled than Mack. Though if the Jaguars draft him, I think they should draft him as a DE rather an OLB.

Another situation is that, if we get Cleveland's first rounders. We may try to be greedy to get additional picks like a first pick with an additional second pick. We get more bang for our buck. I think we should target the 10's to draft back if we manage to get Cleveland's picks. as Drafting Kony Ealy would be good. He is more physical than Clowney, though a step behind in speed. However he still is a 4.7 speed which is needed for the LEO.
Yeah Kony Ealy is a top 10 talent although I haven't watch too much of him. i'm really high on Mack though I think he will be a beast and he's built like Patrick Willis. Also, Barr isn't as good a tackler as Mack and doesn't wrap up as well. I agree he should probably be converted into a DE in our system but I think Mack is just a better player right now. Barr probably has a higher ceiling but who knows if he ever gets to that ceiling.

That aside, these playoffs have really reminded me that dominant defenses are still far more valuable than QBs alone. Both Rodgers and Brees were beaten and rendered near useless by godtier defenses in the playoffs this year. I think as long as we have a game managing-type QB that doesn't make mistakes and can do what Jedd wants him to and doesn't cost us games that's enough for us to win in this league still. So basically I've come over to your way of thinking lol. Brett Smith is the most interesting QB prospect this year, and even if he doesn't work out we could potentially get a guy next year in a trade up scenario (since I want us to get at least 7 wins nex season).
Old 2014-01-13, 18:40   Link #8265
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Yeah Kony Ealy is a top 10 talent although I haven't watch too much of him. i'm really high on Mack though I think he will be a beast and he's built like Patrick Willis. Also, Barr isn't as good a tackler as Mack and doesn't wrap up as well. I agree he should probably be converted into a DE in our system but I think Mack is just a better player right now. Barr probably has a higher ceiling but who knows if he ever gets to that ceiling.
I see, then which one do you prefer in the situation of Mack and Ealy?

Quote:
That aside, these playoffs have really reminded me that dominant defenses are still far more valuable than QBs alone. Both Rodgers and Brees were beaten and rendered near useless by godtier defenses in the playoffs this year. I think as long as we have a game managing-type QB that doesn't make mistakes and can do what Jedd wants him to and doesn't cost us games that's enough for us to win in this league still. So basically I've come over to your way of thinking lol. Brett Smith is the most interesting QB prospect this year, and even if he doesn't work out we could potentially get a guy next year in a trade up scenario (since I want us to get at least 7 wins nex season).
Yes, having a good defense is essential and put less strain on the offense. However most winners of the Superbowl are just high power offenses and low defense. However the defenses will mysteriously become good on gameday for one of those days. Its up to chance to whoever low defensive team comes on and plays at a higher level than usual.

I do not like that style. I like a high power offense with defense to match. Reason why the Seahawks are my favorite to win it all. 7th ranked offense with 1st ranked defense.

PS: Samara please don't kill me
Old 2014-01-13, 19:14   Link #8266
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I see, then which one do you prefer in the situation of Mack and Ealy?
Mack definitely. I think he's the third best player in this draft behind Clowney and Matthews.

Quote:
Yes, having a good defense is essential and put less strain on the offense. However most winners of the Superbowl are just high power offenses and low defense. However the defenses will mysteriously become good on gameday for one of those days. Its up to chance to whoever low defensive team comes on and plays at a higher level than usual.

I do not like that style. I like a high power offense with defense to match. Reason why the Seahawks are my favorite to win it all. 7th ranked offense with 1st ranked defense.
I would argue at least the past two super bowl winners had defenses better than their offense, and most of the SB winners in the past decade relied more on their defense limiting the other team than the offense being explosive. It's more about balance than anything, and I would say you'd rather have a dominant defense and just an okay offense than an explosive offense and an okay to mediocre defense. Or I'd rather have a dominant defense with a stout running game and game manager QB with a good O-Line and 3-4 legit receivers on offense than a mediocre defense with a HoF QB and a mediocre running game. Having a HoF QB is really a luxury that can be negated by godtier defense, which was shown this year. Wilson and Kaepernick are not better than Rodgers and Brees but their defenses are so good Rodgers and Brees can barely do anything. It's why I don't think Denver will win the SB this year if they even make it at all.
Old 2014-01-13, 23:03   Link #8267
sky black swordman

The Tennessee Titans hire SD Chargers OC ,Ken Whisenhunt, to be new head coach.
Old 2014-01-13, 23:16   Link #8268
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I really wanted to see him at Detroit. Rivers had the best year of his career under Whisenhunt; wanted to see what he could do with Stafford.
Old 2014-01-14, 08:14   Link #8269
GDB

Maybe the Lions will take Caldwell off our hands, then. Though I still fear if he leaves, Castillio will end up the OC instead of someone... qualified.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 12:45   Link #8270
GDB

Sweet, Lions hired Caldwell. Now I just hope we don't promote Castillio, or I may have to swap Ravens and Packers as my #1 and #2.
Old 2014-01-14, 14:52   Link #8271
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Lions are now up there with the Browns and Redskins as the worst organization in football.
Old 2014-01-14, 14:55   Link #8272
GDB

I fail to see how this makes them in the same class as those two?
Old 2014-01-14, 20:02   Link #8273
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Not just this, but this is the nail on the camel's back (...or however that goes). Can't see Caldwell being anything but a bust and all that talent on the Lions will continue to be wasted. I mean how many bad decisions can an organization make?
Old 2014-01-15, 10:36   Link #8274
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Hmm, the Texans just expose themselves for the draft. Suzuku, you'll probably like this.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Old 2014-01-15, 12:24   Link #8275
VTHokiePride

They need a franchise QB. Keenum and Schaub aren't the answer. I can't think of any good free agent quarterbacks available on the market since Jay Cutler was resigned by the Bears.
Old 2014-01-15, 12:25   Link #8276
GDB

You're believing anything about anyone's draft before they actually draft them? These guys aren't rookies, they aren't that stupid. It's smokescreen and deception.
Old 2014-01-15, 19:49   Link #8277
sky black swordman

^ Agreed.

Cincinnati Bengals DC, Mike Zimmer, has been hired to be new head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. With that hire only one head coaching vacancy remains: the Cleveland Browns.
I wonder who would be willing to go to a team that may fire them after one season?
Old 2014-01-15, 19:53   Link #8278
GDB

The only ones I'd expect to give Cleveland the time of day are washed up coaches no one else wants or college coaches wanting to break into the NFL.
Old 2014-01-15, 21:10   Link #8279
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
They need a franchise QB. Keenum and Schaub aren't the answer. I can't think of any good free agent quarterbacks available on the market since Jay Cutler was resigned by the Bears.
True, I believe they will highly draft a Quarterback in this year's draft. They got their pieces set already. However, even if it is Bridgewater, they will end up like the Chiefs did this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
You're believing anything about anyone's draft before they actually draft them? These guys aren't rookies, they aren't that stupid. It's smokescreen and deception.
Well I am not gullible to believe it, I know it is smoke and mirrors. However, even coming out with the smoke and mirrors is a bad decision in my opinion. Though I believe he was trying to confuse other teams, they confuse probably their own fans as well. I think it did more harm and good coming out speaking about so called "interest". Usually the best management are the ones keeping quiet like a rock.
Old 2014-01-15, 23:05   Link #8280
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Sorry for the double post.

The Senior Bowl Roster has finally been released. Senior Bowl Roster

The South team got a lot of good defensive prospects especially LEO prospects. Gus Bradley will have a field day. Also, we get to look at Travis Swanson, the number 1 rated center. Does he warrant the early second round pick will be determined.

Tags
american football, sports