AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-09, 22:47   Link #821
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Angel Beats! had a lot of hype behind it due to the Key connections, some slight KyoAni influences, and just generally good promotions. That's not something that will be easily replicated.

P.A. Works should try to get back to what worked with HSI and Tari Tari - A good blend of lighthearted with drama, a narrative that's going somewhere clear, with upbeat 'sparkling' main cast characters, and romance as a secondary element but not the primary one.

P.A. Works' recent commercial struggles, including Glasslip, shows that maybe romance as a core central focus just isn't something that they're good at.
Old 2014-10-09, 23:34   Link #822
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Kakeru/Jonathan comparison is inspired, and does seem to fit pretty well, so that probably explains the importance of the chickens, at least. Good job by soulelle there.
Actually, uninspired, pseudo-intellectual nonsense would be a better term. It is a travesty to consider Soulelle's garbage a "good job", and it is not something to be disseminated, or given any serious consideration in any way. It baffles me that so many seem to blindly agree with "soulelle", who plainly understood nothing about Glasslip and was projecting her own limited world-view into the show. The actual themes and messages of Glasslip were obfuscated by poor writing and incomplete exposition. Moreover, that bullshit "analysis" is condescending, arrogant and presumptuous. It supposes that other viewers are lacking, missing something "obvious" and then calls them out for it, before going on to deal with matters utterly irrelevant to the show's themess. The seabirds don't mean anything, nor do the chickens. Imagination has nothing to do with things any more than Kakeru's supposed desire to find a home. Why do people so willingly accept an "analysis" that is insulting their intelligence?

If memory serves, romance wasn't even all that significant in Tari Tari, and the anime was remarkably fun to watch anyways. Hanasaku Iroha's take on romance, on the other hand, seemed well-executed. It had enough of a presence to keep things interesting but never overshadowed the main story to an unreasonable extent.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2018-12-30 at 13:28. Reason: Spelling
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 01:22   Link #823
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ More like "Mari Okada's not the go-to person for a decent story".
Fyi, Mari Okada didn't write Glasslip.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 07:27   Link #824
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablete View Post
Glasslip BD1 first week sakes

584 BD + DVD
I'm amazed there are this much people willing to buy this. Or were all these copies bought by Kaoru?
Old 2014-10-10, 09:42   Link #825
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm amazed there are this much people willing to buy this. Or were all these copies bought by Kaoru?
Hey now. Glasslip is certainly not the worst SoL anime ever made. I assume the nice scenery, serene atmosphere and the (too) subtle storytelling alone is enough to pick people’s interest to buy it. If a braindead anime like Infinite Stratos 2 can sell tons, the number this series made is more than reasonable. And yes, Kaoru Choujo is not the only one who love this series. Two of my local friends love this series too.
Old 2014-10-10, 09:52   Link #826
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Glasslip? And PA Works did Glasslip? Nooo ideaaa what you guys are talking about. The last anime I remember they did was Uchouten Kazoku last fall and Shirobako which is airing this season. Stop with the false information
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 10:17   Link #827
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
If a braindead anime like Infinite Stratos 2 can sell tons, the number this series made is more than reasonable.
Needless to say, BD/DVD Sales should never be considered an indication of quality.

I may not like Glasslip very much but I can at least appreciate their ambition to experiment with such an unusual narrative style. I hope this doesn't detract them from experimenting in the future.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 12:41   Link #828
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Needless to say, BD/DVD Sales should never be considered an indication of quality.
Hey, don't look at me. It's Kanon who is amazed at the number of people who are willing to buy Glasslip. I just put Infinite Stratos 2's high sales as an example that far far far worse series can sell a lot more than the relatively okay-to-decent one like Glasslip and also, yes, sales =/= quality.
Old 2014-10-10, 12:48   Link #829
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
This show was honestly the biggest waste of my time ever.

Bad, PA Works, BAD. Don't do that again.

Quote:
Hey now. Glasslip is certainly not the worst SoL anime ever made.
...oooh, I beg to differ.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2014-10-10 at 12:58.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 13:11   Link #830
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
...oooh, I beg to differ.
Thats fine. That's what taste are for.

Well, technically, Glasslip is a romance drama set in modern day with some mistery and supernatural things thrown in. In that regards, I can tell you maybe a handful of series with similar genre which are worse than Glasslip. One of them being Tsukihime anime. I personally don't think you can get lower than that.
Old 2014-10-10, 14:06   Link #831
Chiibi

Quote:
One of them being Tsukihime anime. I personally don't think you can get lower than that.
Didn't see the whole thing but I liked two episodes of it better than this.

What killed Glasslip for me was the protagonists. I just didn't give a crap about Kakeru or Touko...and that's significant because I can get easily attached to chars and ships.

Tsukihime though....I at least thought Arucried was cool. :3 ahhh I can't spell her name

Last edited by Chiibi; 2014-10-10 at 14:48.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 18:10   Link #832
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Didn't see the whole thing but I liked two episodes of it better than this.
Well, if you think Tsukihime is better than Glasslip, why didn’t you even finish it? And you dropped it after the first two episodes?
Old 2014-10-10, 21:29   Link #833
Chiibi

Quote:
Well, if you think Tsukihime is better than Glasslip, why didn’t you even finish it? And you dropped it after the first two episodes?
Oh, friend, there's a whole PILE of anime I haven't finished...but that doesn't mean I disliked them.

I just get distracted so easil-OH LOOK, A BUTTERFLY!!
Old 2014-10-10, 21:57   Link #834
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Oh, friend, there's a whole PILE of anime I haven't finished...but that doesn't mean I disliked them.

I just get distracted so easil-OH LOOK, A BUTTERFLY!!
I don’t know girl. You said Glasslip is "the biggest waste of my time ever.” which, if you take the “ever” word seriously, I assume the series must possess almost no entertainment value to you, yet you’ve managed (and bother) to finish it or at least watch more episodes than Tsukihime which you stopped early on (which is a sign of disinterest in and of itself).

I just love analyzing this kind of thing .
Old 2014-10-11, 10:41   Link #835
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Hey now. Glasslip is certainly not the worst SoL anime ever made. I assume the nice scenery, serene atmosphere and the (too) subtle storytelling alone is enough to pick people’s interest to buy it. If a braindead anime like Infinite Stratos 2 can sell tons, the number this series made is more than reasonable. And yes, Kaoru Choujo is not the only one who love this series. Two of my local friends love this series too.
Don't take a joke so seriously
Old 2014-10-11, 14:15   Link #836
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Don't take a joke so seriously
I know that your second line is an outright joke, but I think your first line get to me as you were implying Glasslip deserves less than they get. Sorry if I was wrong.
Old 2014-10-12, 13:56   Link #837
K-Lynnette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
P.A. Works' recent commercial struggles, including Glasslip, shows that maybe romance as a core central focus just isn't something that they're good at.
I don't think Romance is the problem here.P.A Works can definitely do a good romance show if they want to.There's nothing wrong with P.A Works making a show that's centered on romance and they did a great job with True Tears and Nagi no Asukara in my opinion.The reason why the romance came off as abit cheap here is because they didn't introduce the characters and develop them very well .

The main problem why this show suffered a lot is because of the fantasy element,they writers failed to execute it probably .They did a lot of buildup but didn't resolve anything at the end which made a lot of viewers confused because they were too many unanswered questions.

This show definitely deserves a higher rating than 2 and 3 ,It's not good but it's not bad either.It did try to do something different but it failed.I can''t believe that shows like Photo Kano or kiss x sis have higher rating than this on MAL.
K-Lynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 20:03   Link #838
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Lynnette View Post
I don't think Romance is the problem here.P.A Works can definitely do a good romance show if they want to.There's nothing wrong with P.A Works making a show that's centered on romance and they did a great job with True Tears and Nagi no Asukara in my opinion.The reason why the romance came off as abit cheap here is because they didn't introduce the characters and develop them very well ..
See their sales, and now think carefully why PAW announced BD Box for Nagiasu so fast. Usually it takes a year after the last BD has sold.

IMO, for the amount of inversion put on that show and their agressive publicity, the sales aren't exactly favorable.

Quote:
The main problem why this show suffered a lot is because of the fantasy element,they writers failed to execute it probably .They did a lot of buildup but didn't resolve anything at the end which made a lot of viewers confused because they were too many unanswered questions.
The problem isn't if a show has that much questions unanswered but if the public cared about such questions.

You can have a show ending with questions with no anwers and if the show is liked people will try to make the answer themselves but when the show failed to convey it to the viewer, why public should care at all=?

Quote:
This show definitely deserves a higher rating than 2 and 3 ,It's not good but it's not bad either.It did try to do something different but it failed.I can''t believe that shows like Photo Kano or kiss x sis have higher rating than this on MAL.
Bad, maybe, maybe not, boring and lacking? Totally.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 21:34   Link #839
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
NagiAsu while well received in non-Japan (it's PA's second highest rated show after Angel Beats on MAL at 8.5+ something and also on ANN), didn't do so well in Japan. I remmeber that initially was only going to sell 1-1.5k copies until something happened that jumpstarted to 3k-4k meaning they probably broke even.

Back on topic, this is pretty much what I remember Glasslip for:

Spoiler for Unlimited Eehhh Works:

That and Yanagi fanserivce, in particular that scene where she was walking around her house naked whilst Beethoven was playing (lol that was so bad).
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 10:59   Link #840
Yuka-Chan
柊ユカ
*Artist

Wow I dont know where to begin honestly.
the anime started off nicely, I was excited for it, the animation was beautiful, same goes for the soundtrack.
but, after watching the first two episodes, all I could think about is "when is the plot gonna develop?" "next episode will probably be better" "i'm sure it will get better"
did it get better? not really, it became boring, there's some unnecessarily scenes.
I just can't get over that stupid scene where Touko's sister sees Yukinari and for a while the scene seems somewhat intense i suppose and she says "stay attractive!" with such passion.
I mean really? what was that? it took me a few minutes to really process what just happened, me and my little sister face palmed so hard.
I didn't even bother to finish it, I was disappointed with it, but I laughed a lot from how silly this anime was, so I guess that was nice haha :P

Pretend it's not forever, I'll pull myself together I'll say that I'll forget him, I'll breathe.
And I'll say he never hurt me, And look at it as learning, And laugh about the good and the bad. Because I won't live forever We don't belong together, I know I'll feel better, One day when I can make it through

sig and avi made by me
Visit my Gallery

Yuka-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasslip, love polygon, p.a. works, romance, supernatural