AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 00:34   Link #841
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
The true ending is very satisfying, believe me.
About how many hours does it take to get the true ending?

I am currently about 2-3 hours into the visual novel taking Takeshi's route.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 02:00   Link #842
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Is it really worth playing through? Cuz my motivation = 0, at this point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
About how many hours does it take to get the true ending?
This may sound a little blunt, but it sounds to me like you guys may not be well suited to playing visual novels in general. Having several hours of scene setting before you get to the good stuff is par for the course with these things. Most of the other VNs I've played I would consider good are just as unforgiving to the impatient as Ever 17 is.

(2-3 hours in you've probably just finished the "scenario setting" sections, but haven't even hit the generator repair scenes yet.)

Now, as for my personal experience with Ever 17? Probably around 20-25 hours to unlock the true path, using a walkthrough after I got my bad end on my first play and fast forwarding through scenes that were shared with routes I already played. Then maybe 7-8 hours for the true path itself. And it was by far the most memorable thing I read, watched or played in 2008 (the year I played it in).
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 02:07   Link #843
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I can't really guesstimate confidently as I've played it many years ago.
The true ending means Coco's route, however one has to finish the 4 "normal" routes in order to start Coco's route.
I would say that the normal routes takes several hours each or so, but once you finish one of the normal routes, you can start skipping the already read text (ergo most of the tagging game parts, and the chicken burger scenes).
And please don't abandon the game just because some parts of the normal routes are boring. Ever 17 is one of those games whereas the massive ending is the very best part. (But it wouldn't make any sense if you just load a full save.... Please don't butcher it like that.)
Old 2009-08-27, 02:53   Link #844
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
This may sound a little blunt, but it sounds to me like you guys may not be well suited to playing visual novels in general.
I loved Tsukihime and FSN. I also had some fun with Kanon and Clannad. But, Ever 17... I just can't get into it for some reason.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 04:32   Link #845
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
I just finished the game for the first time with You's good ending and saw the epilogue.... I have no idea what really happened but I really don't feel like replaying it 4 times to get the true ending because of the slow, boring parts. Are there any recommended paths to take next? Any that I can just skip? I have a complete save if needed.
You've made it through the worst of it. You is my favorite Ever 17 character, but her route is the most boring and forgettable of the 5.

I'd say go through Tsugumi's next. Its also my favorite route after Coco's. (though nothing else in the visual novel really compared to the last half of Coco's route) You'll run into a nice change of scenarios there.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 07:26   Link #846
Jaden

Everyone gets disheartened reading Ever17 because there's no fast way to skip the parts you've already read. You can set it to fast forward to the next choice, but that way you might be missing on something if you aren't careful, since it won't stop fast forwarding when you reach some of the route-specific content (that is scattered all over).

Yeah my gripe with Ever17 was the forced re-reading, I wish it was like Tsukihime where you can quickly skip parts already read. But the true end was worth it all.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 08:46   Link #847
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

There's an option to stop fast-forwarding when you hit things you haven't seen before.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 11:31   Link #848
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Quote:
I loved Tsukihime and FSN. I also had some fun with Kanon and Clannad. But, Ever 17... I just can't get into it for some reason.
That is just weird.
Ive enjoyed every second of Ever17, while there were some scenes in FSN or Tsukihime that just bored me to death.
Actually, both Sakura's and Ciel's path made me fall asleep.

Oh, and yeah, Ever17 skip function is the best I've seen so far, it is single line precise - skips skips skips, stops to allow you to read a single line and continues skipping - brilliant.
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 16:21   Link #849
u43368
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
You've made it through the worst of it. You is my favorite Ever 17 character, but her route is the most boring and forgettable of the 5.

I'd say go through Tsugumi's next. Its also my favorite route after Coco's. (though nothing else in the visual novel really compared to the last half of Coco's route) You'll run into a nice change of scenarios there.
Good to know; I was planning on Tsugumi next anyway. Unfortunately I got spoiled on a few things, but I can let it slide since I want to see how they play out myself.

Sara is boring though, F3 will be my favorite button on her path.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 17:19   Link #850
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Good to know; I was planning on Tsugumi next anyway. Unfortunately I got spoiled on a few things, but I can let it slide since I want to see how they play out myself.

Sara is boring though, F3 will be my favorite button on her path.
I like Sara.

Don't expect to be completely out of the woods in terms of long, boring scenes where they just hang out, though. Just expect the more interesting story situations to kinda make up for it.

It probably took me a good 6 months to read through Ever 17, since I'd take long breaks in between routes.

Ever 17 is one of those cases where its not going to be as awesome if you know what's coming, but there's some stuff that happens right at the end that's going to be pretty awesome regardless, including one of the few cases where I've seen a certain common subject handled correctly. (people who've read all the way through might have some idea what I'm talking about)

Also, you'll find that Takeshi is a little different (AKA not just an idiot) and significantly more likable as the protagonist. Manly lead is manly.

Takeshi = You > Sara > Tsugumi (in before the fanboys) > Coco >>> Sora >>> the Kid
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 17:29   Link #851
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Can't get into the game in general, or can't get into the route you're currently on? Because I would tend to consider Tsugumi's route a good "bellweather" for whether someone will like the rest of the game: if they like her route, they'll love the final route. If not, there's probably not much point to trying to play the rest.

I absolutely loved the final route, but I was also "hooked" by the time I reached the end of Tsugumi's route. I don't think I would have completed the game in just over a week otherwise.

Edit:
Quote:
Takeshi = You > Sara > Tsugumi (in before the fanboys) > Coco >>> Sora >>> the Kid
*BZZZT* WRONG!

NERD RAGE!!!!
Old 2009-08-27, 22:45   Link #852
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Can't get into the game in general, or can't get into the route you're currently on? Because I would tend to consider Tsugumi's route a good "bellweather" for whether someone will like the rest of the game: if they like her route, they'll love the final route. If not, there's probably not much point to trying to play the rest.

I absolutely loved the final route, but I was also "hooked" by the time I reached the end of Tsugumi's route. I don't think I would have completed the game in just over a week otherwise.
I just can't get into the mood to sit down and play it. For instance, right now I have some time on my hands but I'd rather do something else.

I don't know what it is... all the hide-and-go-seek... the chicken sandwiches... the MacGyver like whipping up of a vaccine... or the BAWWING over a hologram... I just can't get into the mood with this game.

I think it's mainly the fact that I want to scream at the characters:
"WTF are you doing! You're gonna die! Don't F-ing play hide-and-seek!"
"Who cares if you have to eat chicken sandwiches, at least you don't need to eat each other!"
"WTF... virus!?"
"Dude... shes a hologram... why are you trying to "save" her?"
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 00:54   Link #853
u43368
Disabled By Request

I beat Tsugumi's route, it was certainly a change of pace from Kid... Kid's story seemed to focus more on the mystery element while Takashi's seemed more about the character's themselves.

Spoiler for End for Tsugumi:

Since I've gone through both perspectives once, is there going to be a lot of skippable dialog or do the routes have a lot of new dialog?
Old 2009-08-28, 01:29   Link #854
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

@AC195: Sounds like a bad case of suspension of disbelief failure. I can't really help with that since I never had that problem.

Quote:
I beat Tsugumi's route, it was certainly a change of pace from Kid... Kid's story seemed to focus more on the mystery element while Takashi's seemed more about the character's themselves.
Pretty much the reason why Tsugumi is by far my favourite regular route in the game. I actually named my current computer after her. I also have a USB flash drive that I call Chami...

Quote:
Spoiler for End for Tsugumi:
Let's just say if you like Tsugumi, you need to play Coco's route. And be prepared to drop expletives at the twists.

(Also, I think you're mixing up Sara and Sora.)

Quote:
Since I've gone through both perspectives once, is there going to be a lot of skippable dialog or do the routes have a lot of new dialog?
It's kind of between the two... you'll be fast forwarding through most of the early parts of the game and many of the inconsequential scenes later, but it'll still take you a few hours to read through the new material for each route.

Coco's route is actually longer than the others and doesn't share dialogue once you hit around day 3, but it's not that noticeable because the pacing is much more intense.
Old 2009-08-28, 06:22   Link #855
Jaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
There's an option to stop fast-forwarding when you hit things you haven't seen before.
I recall seeing the option, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. Or maybe I'm just being a pillock and completely missed that functionality.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 09:44   Link #856
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I recall seeing the option, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. Or maybe I'm just being a pillock and completely missed that functionality.
Are you pressing F3 or holding down Ctrl to skip through messages? I'm not sure if the option works with the latter.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 11:37   Link #857
u43368
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
It ought to be F3, but there's an option to make it only skip dialogue you've already read. Otherwise it will just skip everything.
Old 2009-08-28, 17:35   Link #858
ShapetheSky

Quote:
I think it's mainly the fact that I want to scream at the characters:
"WTF are you doing! You're gonna die! Don't F-ing play hide-and-seek!"
"Who cares if you have to eat chicken sandwiches, at least you don't need to eat each other!"
"WTF... virus!?"
"Dude... shes a hologram... why are you trying to "save" her?"
Well, actually they're eating tuna...which makes more sense on a friggin' artificial island in the middle of the ocean, not that it'd be important. But why the heck did they change the recipe of the sandwiches anyway? xD
But yeah, I can totally understand the hide-and-seek part. I also thought "wtf are they doiiiing????". There must have been more FITTING things they could have put in the story...those people must have some weird method of coping with mental stress
---
No idea about the fast-forwarding in the localization, which most people here obviously are reading. Japanese version stopped just fine every single time a new sentence came up. Unlike Never7...-__-
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 02:09   Link #859
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I recently ended up watching Genshiken with my anime club and noticed something this time around that I never noticed the first time around:

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/genshikenf.jpg/
Old 2009-08-30, 05:28   Link #860
Qilin
Romanticist

After having finished the game today, I can say for sure this is the best VN I've played so far.
This is the first time in a long long time that I've been driven so close to shedding tears for the characters... In addition, the true ending was truly heartwarming.

It really takes a good game to attach the reader to the characters.

Spoiler for contains a hint to a major plot twist:

The fact that I have to move on and look for another thing to spend time on depresses me...
I'm still praying for the slim chance that another member of the infinity series gets translated.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visual novel