Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-06, 20:35   Link #841
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGimp77 View Post
I'm almost finally caught up with all the Slayers stuff, I got just half of Slayer's Try to go.

How's the new season so far? I've enjoyed the old Slayers quite a bit so far but I'm kinda worried that the new season might be butchered due to JC Staff's nack for butchering stuff lately. I haven't read the novels yet either.

So is it any good?
Well personally don't think its quite been up to the level of the previous seasons. Might be entering the serious portion of the series now so will see how it all turns out. But so far hasn't been as entertaining. Still time to get this right so haven't given up on it.
Old 2008-09-07, 23:28   Link #842
featheredhat

EPISODES 7, 8 and 9 OUT--WEEEEEH

Seen episodes 7, 8 and 9! Don't I love being a Spanish speaker... still, nine isn't as good as 8, and 7's best is the ending me thinks. I won't say further not to spoil.

I don't know you guys but the episodes I have enjoyed the most so far, in that they reflect best the Slayers humor and better balance the tension, are episodes 4 (Lina makes her own magic tank, as a way to end the episode... it was pure delight) and recently aired episode 8 with Lina's gang's battle with Xellos, and everything before that with Wiser. (Also probably Gourry's frienship with a giant jellyfish in episode 3 that I think I have mentioned before.)

You get the impression these guys are ammateurs, don't you? The dialogs are difficult to follow and there are whole spaces of time the action isn't even remotely interesting... anyways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Kind of ruined the one scene I was most looking forward to from manga to anime.

Spoiler for ep.9:
So THAT's what happened in that scene! ...I hadn't even understood what was going on, what's with Gourry giving that charming hero pose and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Every one is talking about Amelia's voice change but the way her character is written seems off to me as well. Amelia was my favorite character in the original series and Next (still have not watched Try). I really loved her black and white/naive sense of justice. But here she just seems to be whining and telling Lina what to do.
I agree to that sentiment. Most Americans seem to dislike Amelia because the dubbing was weak- that and there are a lot of Zel/Lina shippers that are Amelia hatters. But Amelia's best characteristic is that she is bluntly contradictic in her speech. Besides, she had more personality. (Sadly, it was from Slayers Try on that her character suffered the anniquilation that made her into what it is today. You won't like Try... it was written by a Zel/Lina shipper ¬.¬)

Quote:
It was like a history lesson on Lina's developing years. Her Idealised Vision of a Prince on a white horse...utterly SMASHED by the Bandit Dwarf King Phillionel Seyruun. Her unexplained, but horrifying fear of slugs that surpass even her fear of her sister. And of course, the fear of her sister...
A round of applause for you -- Brilliant. You are right; I hadn't noticed all that O_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy0212 View Post
Through episode 10,I find Gourry is smarter than before cause he knows what the vocabulary husband means.Unlike he was in the Next when green-haired Maruchina (maybe I spell wrong) claimed Gourry was her boyfriend,Gourry didn't get what boyfriend was.
Martina Zoana Mel Navratilova. At least in Spanish.
The problem is that the word Martina was using was not the colloquial wording for boyfriend (and informal is all Gourry ever learned to speak) but a most pompous word, like, fiancé: it was a problem with the English translation of Slayers Next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm
Oh, and his new purple glitter entrance kind of sucks. Sure, it's CGed and fancier, but his old entrance as ghetto as it is definitely looks more menacing. Revolution pretty much made him the same as he was in Premium.
I don't really have a problem with Premium, but you are right and I hate the sparkling teletransportation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm
It's more like, he's the only consistent villain that poses a real threat. He's also the only villain who isn't retarded (so far) while guys like Gaarv and what not just take the Laguna blade and go DURRR IT HURTS. I mean, it's not like Lina is really fast or anything, nor have they stated Xellos was specially fast either. It's kind of ridiculous how you can magically get away from Gaarv or Valgaarv or even those freaks from the 2nd world, but you'll never be able to hide from Xellos. They gotta at least update his abilities/stats T_T or it's just plain plot device.
Remember Gaarv was without the protection of the whole mazoku's cast and was hidding, having betrayed them because he felt human emotions: he couldn't have become more powerful nor find anything out through demons. While Xellos is like... the ninja of demons, probably the most informed of them, even if he was less powerful than Gaarv. Same can be said about Vargaarv, who was the almost sole follower of Gaarv and shared more or less the same problems.

I liked the Next type of fillers -__- Martina was a GREAT non-canon. Every other season filler of Slayers had its weakness, and Revolutions is very weak.
Old 2008-09-08, 00:56   Link #843
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
It's more like, he's the only consistent villain that poses a real threat. He's also the only villain who isn't retarded (so far) while guys like Gaarv and what not just take the Laguna blade and go DURRR IT HURTS. I mean, it's not like Lina is really fast or anything, nor have they stated Xellos was specially fast either. It's kind of ridiculous how you can magically get away from Gaarv or Valgaarv or even those freaks from the 2nd world, but you'll never be able to hide from Xellos. They gotta at least update his abilities/stats T_T or it's just plain plot device.
Gaav was hiding from Hellmaster Phibrizzo, and didn't come out into the open, unless his presence was masked, or until he'd ran out of subordinates. Otherwise, he had the whole battlefreak/Mazoku thing working against him when it came down to simply killing Lina. Not to mention certain allies allowing Lina and company to escape.

Similarly with Valgaav, only he wasn't quite as powerful as Gaav, and Xellos kept him in check for the most part.

You won't ever see High Level Mazoku really cutting lose against Lina and company, because they're just not that powerful when you get right down to it.
Old 2008-09-08, 04:39   Link #844
X10A_Freedom

I'm actually loving Slayers Revolution. Wiser is such an excellent character.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2008-09-08, 07:06   Link #845
sandy0212

I agree Wiser is interesting,the reason he wants to arrest Lina is he wants to get praise and admiration from other ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by featheredhat View Post
I liked the Next type of fillers -__- Martina was a GREAT non-canon. Every other season filler of Slayers had its weakness, and Revolutions is very weak.
Martina is funny,she has lots of wishful thinking about falling in love with every main character at first sight.The filler of Revolution is very weak,do you mean Potoka?
Old 2008-09-08, 12:05   Link #846
reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
I'm actually loving Slayers Revolution. Wiser is such an excellent character.
no doubt he is a good character,
unlike other ( pokota and even amelia ,zell include ) he does a appear in the novel after gourry lost his sword

Last edited by reverse; 2008-09-08 at 22:06.
Old 2008-09-10, 06:37   Link #847
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
Quote:
Originally Posted by featheredhat View Post
I agree, Martina was such an awesome character. Compared to that Filia sucked.

Revolution is okay, I just don't like Pokota that much... why couldn't they try to get back to the novels? :/

I mean yeah, they finally
Spoiler for Episode 10:

but I don't like the whole Taforashia thing all that much ...

At least there's some Xellos ...
Old 2008-09-10, 07:59   Link #848
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2008-09-10, 08:16   Link #849
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Seeing as though this series is only going to be 13 [episodes]
There will be a second season of another 13 eps as far as I have heard. Ep 13 is just the end of the first arc

Spoiler for which is probably:
Old 2008-09-10, 08:20   Link #850
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamion View Post
There will be a second season of another 13 eps as far as I have heard. Ep 13 is just the end of the first arc
Yeah i was thinking something like that would happen. Has anything been said on when it'll air, or is it just going to carry on in October?
Old 2008-09-10, 08:31   Link #851
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
Another season was officially confirmed.

Won't be starting in the autumn (Revolution ends at 13), but JCStaff rarely (ie, never) announces a new show more than a season or two in advance, so I'd lay hard money down on Winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy0212 View Post
I get news from http://ashitasmile.altervista.org/slayers.html She mentions rumors say the rest 13 episodes will televise in April next year with new title and songs.From this September to next April,seven-month waiting...(Sigh)Be patient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah i was thinking something like that would happen. Has anything been said on when it'll air, or is it just going to carry on in October?
May be a long wait.
Old 2008-09-10, 11:40   Link #852
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Spoiler for Ep10:
Old 2008-09-10, 13:58   Link #853
Wesley84

Wow, they actually got Takehito Koyasu to portray Rezo again. I was doubtful if they'd give him any lines at all during the flashback, but they surprised me. Kind of saved the entire scene if you ask me.
Old 2008-09-10, 14:22   Link #854
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Wow, they actually got Takehito Koyasu to portray Rezo again. I was doubtful if they'd give him any lines at all during the flashback, but they surprised me. Kind of saved the entire scene if you ask me.
That's just what i said.

But yeah i'm still surprised they got Koyasu back for the role.
Old 2008-09-10, 16:04   Link #855
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Spoiler for ep 10:
Old 2008-09-11, 21:30   Link #856
xellos2099

11 is pretty good, but it seems most of the cast forget how did they beat zanffar the first time in season 1.
Old 2008-09-11, 21:34   Link #857
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
11 is pretty good, but it seems most of the cast forget how did they beat zanffar the first time in season 1.
That kind of wouldn't work this time, since they lack a hax Priestess, one Holy Sword, and one big motha of a Holy Tree.
Old 2008-09-11, 23:25   Link #858
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
That kind of wouldn't work this time, since they lack a hax Priestess, one Holy Sword, and one big motha of a Holy Tree.
Well should still be able to manage somehow. If the replica can amplify spells and they toss in a Ragna Blade it might work. I'd say the sword itself might be enough, but as we know the legend completely didn't help them in the season 1 encounter . Just need to approach it correctly.
Old 2008-09-12, 00:43   Link #859
xellos2099

Actually, Sylpheel show up on the preview for next week and they are setting up defense at Seyruun.
Old 2008-09-12, 02:37   Link #860
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well should still be able to manage somehow. If the replica can amplify spells and they toss in a Ragna Blade it might work. I'd say the sword itself might be enough, but as we know the legend completely didn't help them in the season 1 encounter . Just need to approach it correctly.
Just Ragna Blade is more than enough - spells that borrow power from LoN destroy everything, magic immunity or not. If Xellos wasn't that fast with his teleportation he would've been defeated too.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, fantasy