AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

Old 2014-07-14, 13:44   Link #861
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Do we know if there are grunt mechs? I could easily see the knights the only ones deemed "worthy' enough to have mechs, or at least mechs with the "Light of Aldnoah". I'd almost find it lucky for earth if they only had to face 37 mechs instead of an entire army. Almost, considering those individual mechs can take out entire platoons in minutes. Shows us how screwed Earth is.
I think they have to have grunt mechs. When Yuki and her troop were passing by her brother and Inko in the truck, she said that the enemy was coming towards their town from Tokyo according to their heat signatures. Cruhteo is the one who landed in Tokyo and hasn't used his mech yet. And he's securing the area from his castle. That means there has to be army units that are moving outward from the castle and throughout the city. They made their way from Tokyo to where Inaho lives and they're taking out the Earth forces as they go. This would suggest that Cruhteo's army can go toe-to-toe with the Earth Forces. And it sounds like their wiping them out since Yuki's group was sent out despite them being the stand by.

So, yeah, there's an army, and I'm betting they have mechs too, just not as advanced as the knights' mechs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Connection View Post
Did anyone feel that the ost's a bit WAY TOO familiar?It sounds almost as though Sawano is basically just rehashing some of his past osts.
I think that's just because it's his style. It not unusual for a composer to have a similar feel and stain to all their music, that makes them sound a little familiar to each other. A good example is John Williams. While his compositions all sound distinct and different, I can also link all of the up in a medley, and go from one to the other without missing a beat, because they all have a familiar feel to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
While Slaine is one of the lucky few serving his Martian masters. Either way, Vers Empire treats them as expendable livestock... most of the time.
Slaine and his father supposedly defected to Mars, but we have no idea why. However, I think the reason he's probably treated as well as he has been is because of the Princess, who he has said is responsible for saving him and his father 5 years ago when they came to Mars.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 14:03   Link #862
Dr. Dahm
Banned

I think it's been fairly established at this point that the current Martian cast are basically in this fight for the chance to play huntsmen with what are basically easy prey and try out their toys. I don't really see any grey moral-ism involved here. They know exactly what they are doing and even say as such in pretty much no uncertain terms and it's not like a single one of them is hesitant for even a second once they get their excuse to literally drop right into the fray.

Perhaps that can change later and a more reasonable voice like Dianna Soriel from Turn A Gundam which this has been compared to can be introduced into the mix to calm things down but otherwise it's really not a war or even conflict right now but just slaughter and a battle for survival. Not sure what else there really is to discuss at this point though nor have they given us too much to speculate off of because there's literally one sympathetic pure Martian character that's been introduced in the show and she's in no position to do anything at this point and it's uncertain whether she's even currently willing to fight against her own race. At best maybe she can reveal herself and give some orders to back down which would really tell the tale of where these Martian characters are at because if they have any dignity and pride as knights they'd obey their leader.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 16:48   Link #863
Kurohane

After re-watching, I still don't see the reason why the princess had to put Inaho in a hold to get answers out of him. It's a good thing it was Inaho, because I imagine any other person would be downright ticked off after that, and be less cooperative.
Old 2014-07-14, 16:56   Link #864
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
After re-watching, I still don't see the reason why the princess had to put Inaho in a hold to get answers out of him. It's a good thing it was Inaho, because I imagine any other person would be downright ticked off after that, and be less cooperative.
While the Princess is wonderfully naive, she does probably still have her people's teachings in the back of her mind in regards to Terrans. Also, she just had some terrorists try to kill her. I'm both delightfully surprised and admire the fact that she would take initiative and protect herself while also trying to get answers. I know a normal person would be ticked off, but all she would have to do was pull a little more on that arm and they would have probably still answered her.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-14, 17:05   Link #865
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

So what will happen now?

Will the protagonist get some strange eye power?
Will the protagonist find a mecha that turns him into a vampire?
Will the protagonist bite his own hand and turn into an Aldnoah?
Will the protagonist suddenly get the ability to pull weapons out of people?
Will the protagonist flee to the sea and find a blue haired girl that tells him that she is his battleship?

Yes, people! If the MC gets some super power and/or a super mecha, then by convention, it will happen in the next 2 episodes. It always happens when the MC gets into a deadly situation for the first time.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 17:37   Link #866
Arya

I read all the complains and whatnot, but I re-watched the episode and I still got overwhelmed by its gorgeousness, both aesthetically and musically that I was pushed to note more the things I liked than the others. BGM surely it's a great help, at least for me, it let me get carried away with it. And that's was the aim of this first two episodes. I bet that things will settle down soon (well, there's nothing more to do for the Martians ) leaving room to the characters from both sides to be flashed out and the plot to be explained a bit more.

I read about Gundam comparison, but given the situation and the characters showed I see more potential similarities with Code Geass (bar the geass). I'n not very good at that because I don't remember very well CG, but considering the situation a plausible action the martians could take next is to strip the earthlings of their rights and freedom and naming their new colonies by numbers or something similar. Character wise we already have a princess, a terrorist, a very smart guy and the other that could be the idealistic one.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 17:40   Link #867
hamazura
whatever

if by code geass standard
the Aldnoah is Shinkiro while the earth MS is sutherland
Old 2014-07-14, 17:58   Link #868
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I read all the complains and whatnot, but I re-watched the episode and I still got overwhelmed by its gorgeousness, both aesthetically and musically that I was pushed to note more the things I liked than the others. BGM surely it's a great help, at least for me, it let me get carried away with it. And that's was the aim of this first two episodes. I bet that things will settle down soon (well, there's nothing more to do for the Martians ) leaving room to the characters from both sides to be flashed out and the plot to be explained a bit more.
Are you me.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 18:19   Link #869
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
While the Princess is wonderfully naive, she does probably still have her people's teachings in the back of her mind in regards to Terrans. Also, she just had some terrorists try to kill her. I'm both delightfully surprised and admire the fact that she would take initiative and protect herself while also trying to get answers. I know a normal person would be ticked off, but all she would have to do was pull a little more on that arm and they would have probably still answered her.
Yeah, but it was against a student, who was warning them of danger, and he only inquired further and got closer, because they wouldn't respond at first. Of course, she apologizes in advance, and says all this courtesy afterwards, but I can't help focusing on the fact that she slammed him down, when there was nothing to provoke it. On the positive side, it was an interesting first encounter that won't be forgotten.
Old 2014-07-14, 18:24   Link #870
bakato

Quote:
Yeah, but it was against a student, who was warning them of danger, and he only inquired further and got closer, because they wouldn't respond at first. Of course, she apologizes in advance, and says all this courtesy afterwards, but I can't help focusing on the fact that she slammed him down, when there was nothing to provoke it. On the positive side, it was an interesting first encounter that won't be forgotten.
And there was little to no reason to suspect him either.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 18:25   Link #871
Amarantine

Just watched episodes 1 and 2, and I have to agree with some of the complaints thus far. When they briefly showed the various subjects of the Vers Empire listening to Saazbaum's declaration of war in episode 1, I thought to myself "Oh god, don't tell me they're all going to be mustache twirlers," since most of them had "I'm a snobby bigot" plastered all over their faces, especially the one trimming his fingernails as he welcomed the start of the conflict.

Fast forward to episode 2 and of course they had choose that guy to be the one representing the Martian Knights in the Earthfall Operation, and he proved to be every inch the hackneyed caricature I pegged him as. That was a bit of a disappointment, as I feel some degree of moral ambiguity would definitely go a long way towards making this planetary conflict a little more interesting and layered. Of course, that may still happen in the future (I certainly hope it does), but thus far things are exceedingly black and white, which is particularly disappointing when the story concept was penned by a writer generally known for a preference towards moral ambiguity.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 19:00   Link #872
Irenesharda

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
And there was little to no reason to suspect him either.
You can't be too careful with Terrans.
But on a serious note, she's a royal who's been targeted for assassination by groups unknown to her. She's never been to Earth, she doesn't know their ways. Her people have probably told her her whole life that Terrans are primitive savages. Who's to say a lone body, even one that looks like a student ( and that's even if she knows what a Japanese student looks like) isn't an assassin in disguise? We've already seen that the real assassins did have a teen girl in their midst, one who was totally okay with their assignment, and could have been sent to kill the princess if she got close enough.

The princess is probably on pins and needles and is distraught over what should have been her peace mission. All of a sudden her sheltered life has been crashed by a violent assassination attempt that killed her double, who she probably knew, and she's on the run on a planet that she knows little about (she didn't even know about the color of the sky or water for goodness sake!), and her people are starting a massacre that she believes her presence can stop. It can be expected that she believes she can't trust anyone and thus why she protected herself first.

I mean, if you had no idea what an "emergency evacuation" and was in an area where the streets were desolate and a lone boy with an emotionless face and tone suddenly approached you out of nowhere. I think I'd be suspicious of him too. Especially if I had just gone through what the princess has.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-14, 19:08   Link #873
ImperialKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
Just watched episodes 1 and 2, and I have to agree with some of the complaints thus far. When they briefly showed the various subjects of the Vers Empire listening to Saazbaum's declaration of war in episode 1, I thought to myself "Oh god, don't tell me they're all going to be mustache twirlers," since most of them had "I'm a snobby bigot" plastered all over their faces, especially the one trimming his fingernails as he welcomed the start of the conflict.

Fast forward to episode 2 and of course they had choose that guy to be the one representing the Martian Knights in the Earthfall Operation, and he proved to be every inch the hackneyed caricature I pegged him as. That was a bit of a disappointment, as I feel some degree of moral ambiguity would definitely go a long way towards making this planetary conflict a little more interesting and layered. Of course, that may still happen in the future (I certainly hope it does), but thus far things are exceedingly black and white, which is particularly disappointing when the story concept was penned by a writer generally known for a preference towards moral ambiguity.
That's probably where the princess comes in. She's clearly of a different stock than the nobles that tried to have her assassinated. The fact that TrillRam killed the witnesses means that they'll be a lot of heat coming on them if the truth was revealed.

The question becomes what are they going to do once they get out of Japan. The OP shows them operating out of a carrier so is it going to be like Gundam where the protagonists takes a rag tag team across the ocean to a certain destination?
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 19:33   Link #874
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
The fact that TrillRam killed the witnesses means that they'll be a lot of heat coming on them if the truth was revealed.
Obviously? She's the freaking princess. Unless they were overthrowing the government, which they aren't, "a lot of heat" would be an understatement.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 19:54   Link #875
DMurphy

I'm wondering if actually Asseylum revealing herself is going to be what turns the tide in this war. Because not all of the knights are in on the conspiracy: If Asseylum reveals herself, it could cause a schism wherein some of the knights decide to keep with their war-making regardless, and some defect over to Earth to protect her.

Old 2014-07-14, 19:56   Link #876
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Well now, 44 pages and only 2 episodes in? Perhaps this series needs a forum?
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 19:59   Link #877
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
You can't be too careful with Terrans.
But on a serious note, she's a royal who's been targeted for assassination by groups unknown to her. She's never been to Earth, she doesn't know their ways. Her people have probably told her her whole life that Terrans are primitive savages. Who's to say a lone body, even one that looks like a student ( and that's even if she knows what a Japanese student looks like) isn't an assassin in disguise? We've already seen that the real assassins did have a teen girl in their midst, one who was totally okay with their assignment, and could have been sent to kill the princess if she got close enough.

The princess is probably on pins and needles and is distraught over what should have been her peace mission. All of a sudden her sheltered life has been crashed by a violent assassination attempt that killed her double, who she probably knew, and she's on the run on a planet that she knows little about (she didn't even know about the color of the sky or water for goodness sake!), and her people are starting a massacre that she believes her presence can stop. It can be expected that she believes she can't trust anyone and thus why she protected herself first.

I mean, if you had no idea what an "emergency evacuation" and was in an area where the streets were desolate and a lone boy with an emotionless face and tone suddenly approached you out of nowhere. I think I'd be suspicious of him too. Especially if I had just gone through what the princess has.
It's too soon to say Rayet was totally okay with it or even involved. It looked more to me that she was just the bystander, who knew about it generally, but wasn't an actual member of the team. The fact her dad had her back away from the rest of them when Trillam was landing supports that she was more of a tag-along due of being related to one of the moles.

She apparently does believe she can still trust people, as she decided to take up Inaho's offer to ride in the transport. Granted, it came off as both of surprise to both her and little maid, since they probably weren't expecting that, especially with how she just treated him.

It's one thing to be suspicious. It's another to actually use force against someone, with your only justification being "he's suspicious". With that, they gave Inaho reason to be suspicious, and with they're not so subtle dialogue, he probably has a good idea on where these tourists came from, and who the girl who knocked him down is. Really, this could have hurt them more than it helped them, if it wasn't Inaho they encountered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I'm wondering if actually Asseylum revealing herself is going to be what turns the tide in this war. Because not all of the knights are in on the conspiracy: If Asseylum reveals herself, it could cause a schism wherein some of the knights decide to keep with their war-making regardless, and some defect over to Earth to protect her.
I doubt the Knights would really side with Earth.. They're just too arrogant. I wouldn't be surprised if they just continue with what they're doing, only those loyal to the princess would secure her to keep her out of anymore harm. To the Martians, this is more of a battle against each other and not Earth. Dealing with the traitors is just added to workload to those on the princess' side.
Old 2014-07-14, 20:26   Link #878
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Well now, 44 pages and only 2 episodes in? Perhaps this series needs a forum?
In agree with this I'm a mecha fan, and I need a tech section to stretch my legs.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 20:27   Link #879
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Even those who weren't in on the conspiracy, I doubt they'd side with Earth. They're too elitist for that. At most, I can see the knights dividing, with those who didn't know about the assassination attempt, putting the other knights to task, since what they did is treason. So, the most we really can hope for is for them to begin fighting between each other.

Quote:
It's too soon to say Rayet was totally okay with it or even involved. It looked more to me that she was just the bystander, who knew about it generally, but wasn't an actual member of the team. The fact her dad had her back away from the rest of them when Trillam was landing supports that she was more of a tag-along due of being related to one of the moles.

She apparently does believe she can still trust people, as she decided to take up Inaho's offer to ride in the transport. Granted, it came off as both of surprise to both her and little maid, since they probably weren't expecting that, especially with how she just treated him.

It's one thing to be suspicious. It's another to actually use force against someone, with your only justification being "he's suspicious". With that, they gave Inaho reason to be suspicious, and with they're not so subtle dialogue, he probably has a good idea on where these tourists came from, and who the girl who knocked him down is. Really, this could have hurt them more than it helped them, if it wasn't Inaho they encountered.
When she tossed him to the ground, I doubt she had any intention of ever seeing this boy again. I'm thinking Inaho might have figured out who she is, but then again, that conversation he had with his sister as he's cooking eggs in the middle of an invasion, makes me think he's a bit clueless as well. Well, only time will tell.

Also, remember that Mars seems to have a more violent culture. They could have taught her to do that simply as self defense. No one can attack you if he's pinned to the ground.

As for Rayet, an accomplice is an accomplice. She had to know what her group's actions would lead to and what they were trying to accomplish, and I'm thinking her father just had her back away, just as a parent does when he's talking business. From the way it was said, she was supposed to go with them in their return to Vers, and of course when you're living on another planet in the lap of luxury, you don't think about the blood from millions of Terrans that is on your hands. However, Rayet will now have live with that as she's among the very people who, through her and her group's action, lives she has destroyed. She will have to see where all of this led.

It will actually be very interesting to follow her character and see if she begins to warm up to the Terrans or will she continue to think them scum like the rest of her people? Will she recognize the Princess? Will she try to finish the job her father started? Will the murder of her father change her now that the adrenaline from running for her life has worn off? Or is she so deluded with the rhetoric of the motherland, that she will continue to serve Vers as best she can, just as her father and companions have done for 15 years: as a spy?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-14, 20:29   Link #880
DMurphy

Quote:

I doubt the Knights would really side with Earth.. They're just too arrogant. I wouldn't be surprised if they just continue with what they're doing, only those loyal to the princess would secure her to keep her out of anymore harm. To the Martians, this is more of a battle against each other and not Earth. Dealing with the traitors is just added to workload to those on the princess' side.
Idk, a few might. We've not seen all of the knights yet. A few might be all it needs to change how this war is going, if I'm right and Mars literally only has about forty unique mechs.

(And someone on here raised some very good points as to why this could very easily not be the case, so I won't be surprised if it's not the case, I just - kinda hope it is. It'd give the Vers a bit of character.)

Tags
mecha, sci-fi