AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-04-30, 15:22   Link #8801
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Haruki does kinda come off as an asshole. For everything Haruhi did, she never implied that she thought Kyon was ugly/unattractive.

Not really complaining on this portrayal, but like someone mentioned way back, I think Haruki will have to do a few more "pleasant" things than Haruhi did, in order to attain the rank of "Delusional insane maniac" instead of "That rat ass Bastard".

The relationship still needs to have an element of Haruki's domineering personality, and Kyonko's distress is frankly amusing.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:30   Link #8802
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Haruki does kinda come off as an asshole. For everything Haruhi did, she never implied that she thought Kyon was ugly/unattractive.
Has Haruki done that thus far? I forget.

Quote:
Not really complaining on this portrayal, but like someone mentioned way back, I think Haruki will have to do a few more "pleasant" things than Haruhi did, in order to attain the rank of "Delusional insane maniac" instead of "That rat ass Bastard".
True enough.

Quote:
The relationship still needs to have an element of Haruki's domineering personality, and Kyonko's distress is frankly amusing.
But of course.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:35   Link #8803
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Has Haruki done that thus far? I forget.
1.Making Kyonko constantly pay for the outings comes off worse than when Haruhi made Kyon do it.
2.Implying that Kyonko was to heavy.

Just behavior that would make a girl thing a guy was being a dick.

We shouldn't totally abandon this kind of behavior, but Haruki does need to have better behavior than Haruhi in other area's if we want Kyonko to hold the same kind of opinion of him that Kyon held of Haruhi.
Old 2008-04-30, 15:40   Link #8804
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
1.Making Kyonko constantly pay for the outings comes off worse than when Haruhi made Kyon do it.
I think this is fine, since Haruhi forced whomever arrived last to pay regardless of who it happened to be; it's not like she was specifically making Kyon pay for her.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:41   Link #8805
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:

An idea occurs ...

Spoiler for Valentine's day ideas:

Opinions?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I think this is fine, since Haruhi forced whomever arrived last to pay regardless of who it happened to be; it's not like she was specifically making Kyon pay for her.
There are ... different schools of thought on that subject.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:47   Link #8806
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
That's exactly it. She'd make anyone pay regardless of whoever was last. She just never wants to pay herself because she spends all her money on fetishy costumes.

Quote:
2.Implying that Kyonko was too heavy.
Sorry, when did he say this? I don't remember writing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
*snip*
Works well, but they still haven't done a White Day story in the original... yet.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:49   Link #8807
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Spoiler for Valentine's day ideas:

Opinions?
Interesting, but...slightly too shoujo-y, perhaps?
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:51   Link #8808
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That's exactly it. She'd make anyone pay regardless of whoever was last. She just never wants to pay herself because she spends all her money on fetishy costumes.
Kyon just has craptacular luck.

Quote:
Sorry, when did he say this? I don't remember writing it.
Wouldn't make much sense anyway. Haruhi is already ridiculously strong for a girl. Imagine what kind of beast Haruki must be.

Quote:
Works well, but they still haven't done a White Day story in the original... yet.
This story's gonna be the trickiest methinks...

Old 2008-04-30, 15:53   Link #8809
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Nor did they have Kyon smacking Haruhi in the face with his lunchbox. *shrug* In the absence of original material -- which, given the licensing and the expected delays, may take years to get to us -- there's nothing wrong with us inserting a few original scenes to make Seitenkan uniquely ours, is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Interesting, but...slightly too shoujo-y, perhaps?
Perhaps. Though it would be but a few scenes in the whole madness that is SZnY. If necessary, it can be edited.
Old 2008-04-30, 15:59   Link #8810
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Nor did they have Kyon smacking Haruhi in the face with his lunchbox. *shrug* In the absence of original material -- which, given the licensing and the expected delays, may take years to get to us -- there's nothing wrong with us inserting a few original scenes to make Seitenkan uniquely ours, is there?
I wouldn't think so.

Quote:
Perhaps. Though it would be but a few scenes in the whole madness that is SZnY. If necessary, it can be edited.
We shall see.

Old 2008-04-30, 16:01   Link #8811
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
That's exactly it. She'd make anyone pay regardless of whoever was last.
Which is why I'm not sure you can justify changing this because of the gender reversal, as the matter of gender was irrelevant even in the original.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 16:05   Link #8812
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Which is why I'm not sure you can justify changing this because of the gender reversal, as the matter of gender was irrelevant even in the original.
But it would be a good way to make Haruki look not so much like a jerk if, just now and then, he steps in and says: "Well, I'll fine you later. I'll be paying this time, just so you don't completely run out of allowance and run off begging and crying to your parents, or they'll try to make you stay home instead of coming to the Brigade. Make no mistake, in any battle I will emerge victorious, but there is such a thing as good manners."
Kyonko: "Oy. I have to hear that from you?"
Haruki: "So you want to pay the fine right now, after all?"
Kyonko: "..."
Old 2008-04-30, 16:11   Link #8813
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that we do.

Quote:
Good point.

Quote:
But it would be a good way to make Haruki look not so much like a jerk if, just now and then, he steps in and says: "Well, I'll fine you later. I'll be paying this time, just so you don't completely run out of allowance and run off begging and crying to your parents, or they'll try to make you stay home instead of coming to the Brigade. Make no mistake, in any battle I will emerge victorious, but there is such a thing as good manners."
Kyonko: "Oy. I have to hear that from you?"
Haruki: "So you want to pay the fine right now, after all?"
Kyonko: "..."
Good idea again.
Old 2008-04-30, 18:20   Link #8814
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

When thinking of Mitsuru's voice, I thought of Quatre(?) from Gundam Wing.

I still think name change is in order. Because in my mind, THIS will always be Mitsuru.

Spoiler for MITSURU-SENPAI!:
Old 2008-04-30, 19:33   Link #8815
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
The two times Kyon arrives at the meeting first, he still ends up paying(Volume 2 prologue was because Haruhi "forgot" to bring money, Volume 9 instance they all paid because everyone aside from Kyon "conveniently" arrived at the same time). That rule, as with most of Haruhi's rules, is in place simply to make Kyon do whatever she wants.

As for the Valentine's thing, I have a rather simple solution. Since Volume 7 was pretty much a split between Mikuru's time traveling and the Organization's "We're everywhere at all times" vibe already, just have Itsuko set up the whole Valentine's Day event.
If Haruki is anything like Haruhi, he'll believe anything she tells him. He might very well dig with full enthusiasm expecting some ancient treasure, only to see a box with a bunch of chocolates from Itsuko and Kyonko addressed to him, Mitsuuru and Yuuki. Kyonko obviously has no actual knowledge of this, as it was all Itsuko's doing(just for fun, the following lines could be included in a private conversation between them afterwards: "I might ask for a 'favor' in return." "You're kidding, right?").
It might take some working, but it's a possible solution for a far-off problem.

*e* wait... just realized why it was brought up... umm...
K: "What's this for?"
H: "I heard that in America, guys are supposed to give girls chocolates on Valentine's Day"
K: "Maybe, but we live in Japan."
H: "You don't want it, then? Fine. I'll eat it myself." (in a bit of a teasing manner)
K: {insert whatever response you think is appropriate}
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2008-04-30 at 19:54. Reason: ... oops?
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 19:52   Link #8816
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
The two times Kyon arrives at the meeting first, he still ends up paying(Volume 2 prologue was because Haruhi "forgot" to bring money, Volume 9 instance they all paid because everyone aside from Kyon "conveniently" arrived at the same time). That rule, as with most of Haruhi's rules, is in place simply to make Kyon do whatever she wants.
I still don't think we should remove it from our rewrites.
Old 2008-04-30, 20:09   Link #8817
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Correct. It always came off as some weird control game on Haruhi's part.
Quote:
As for the Valentine's thing, I have a rather simple solution. Since Volume 7 was pretty much a split between Mikuru's time traveling and the Organization's "We're everywhere at all times" vibe already, just have Itsuko set up the whole Valentine's Day event.
If Haruki is anything like Haruhi, he'll believe anything she tells him. He might very well dig with full enthusiasm expecting some ancient treasure, only to see a box with a bunch of chocolates from Itsuko and Kyonko addressed to him, Mitsuuru and Yuuki. Kyonko obviously has no actual knowledge of this, as it was all Itsuko's doing(just for fun, the following lines could be included in a private conversation between them afterwards: "I might ask for a 'favor' in return." "You're kidding, right?").
It might take some working, but it's a possible solution for a far-off problem.
Nice idea, but why would Haruki be digging in the first place then? The whole "lets dig for treasure" escapade was concocted by Haruhi as a way for her to give Kyon chocolate in a completely platonic manner (so of course she conscripts Mikuru and Yuki for her plot, and throws in Itsuki as a recipient to avoid Harem implications). Her main objective regarding the set of dig outs, was directly related to valentines day. Considering the silly amount of detail she put into the plan, she was obviously worried about it.

Haruki will probably also be concerned about it, he will be in an interesting situation that neither he or Haruhi had ever been in, where he has to sit around on his ass staring at a dead tired Kyonko (who's dealing with time traveled Mitsuru), and wondering if he's going to get any chocolate. Without intervention, he probably isn't (and that kids, is a bad end), because frankly Kyonko won't remember about it, and she doesn't seem emotional enough about Haruki romantically to keep V-day in mind.

And even Haruki isn't stupid enough to not realize how pathetic he'd look ordering Kyonko to make him chocolate.
Quote:
*e* wait... just realized why it was brought up... umm...
K: "What's this for?"
H: "I heard that in America, guys are supposed to give girls chocolates on Valentine's Day"
K: "Maybe, but we live in Japan."
H: "You don't want it, then? Fine. I'll eat it myself." (in a bit of a teasing manner)
K: {insert whatever response you think is appropriate}
That doesn't seem to quite work. Japan has developed it's own well established rules of valentines day. Girls give guys chocolate on V-day, and guys return the favor on white day.

Haruhi for a renegade outcast that wants to do things differently, is surprisingly conformist (in her own way) to rules governing holidays. I doubt Haruki would do something like this. And besides, it wouldn't change the fact that Kyonko didn't get him anything.

And this method also completely bypasses the lovely opportunity to have Haruki squirm a little nervously. For all the extra crap he makes Kyonko go through, he should suffer a little
Old 2008-04-30, 20:23   Link #8818
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Hm...have another possibility for Itsuko's voice actor: Atsuko Tanaka. She can do a fairly foxy voice (although my example is a catgirl: Karula/Karura from Utawarerumono).

...Now that I think about it, that voice would probably fit Itsuko fairly well, although it might need to be either slightly higher or slightly softer.

Some examples from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADpQbxaYTiM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqGTD8j2Zc

Last edited by Cat Megex; 2008-04-30 at 20:41.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 20:25   Link #8819
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Quote:
That doesn't seem to quite work. Japan has developed it's own well established rules of valentines day. Girls give guys chocolate on V-day, and guys return the favor on white day.

Haruhi for a renegade outcast that wants to do things differently, is surprisingly conformist (in her own way) to rules governing holidays. I doubt Haruki would do something like this. And besides, it wouldn't change the fact that Kyonko didn't get him anything.

And this method also completely bypasses the lovely opportunity to have Haruki squirm a little nervously. For all the extra crap he makes Kyonko go through, he should suffer a little
I heartily agree with what's written here. The rules of V day is so entrenched in Japan and Korea that it's unlikely that even Haruki will try to change it.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 21:48   Link #8820
Discreet
The Fascist

So why not Itsuko have everything set up? She's part of the Organization and they'd know how important it is for Haruki's state of mind that he receive a chocolate from Kyonko.

The treasure-digging, instead of being an excuse to give chocolate, can just be an excuse to spend the day together.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan