Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-08-19, 09:07   Link #8921
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
So they're planning on having him start in their next preseason game against the Lions, then? I thought that Jaguars were planning on staying true to their word that Blake Bortles would not start this season? Regardless of how well he performed in training camp and pre-season.

@ReaperxKingx: In your own personal opinion is he ready to start? Should he start? And do you want him to start over Chad Henne?
___

From what I heard from ESPN and the NFL Network (I didn't watch the game) is that Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel were pretty awful in tonight's game. Neither did enough to secure the starting Quarterback spot for the Browns. And the fact that Johnny Manziel is to sure to be fined by the NFL after flipping off the Redskins.
Pretty sure that Bortles will not start the Preseason game against the Lions, but he will have time with the first team. Whether or not he faces off a first team defense is the question that should be ask more. Henne is said to receive only a Quarter while Bortles takes over the 2nd and 3rd I believe.
The plan was originally stated they will start him when he is ready. Bradley and Caldwell said the whole season because they felt that much time was needed, but now that is changing. He is ahead of his progress and that is very good.

In my personal opinion, I rather not have Blake Bortles start until the supporting cast is stable. As well he isn't ready yet, not until I see him against a first team defense which is upcoming. I fully answer that after Friday. Though his performance has been the more impressive and consistence. That being said many argue you play the best player and you play a top draft pick, but I am flexible in my view that even if he is the best player and eve if he is a top 5 pick, I would not put him in a situation that could hamper his growth by throwing him in with a supporting cast that is not ready. I want Bortles to start when he is ready and the supporting cast is ready. Only then I want him to start over Henne. The case with Henne is that he face this situation all throughout his career of being thrown with a weak supporting cast, he can manage. I am not taking a chance with the future of franchise hoping that he can manage it. Worst scenario, you break the confidence and growth of the QB. We are starting to see that with Cam Newton.

This old philosophy of allowing a Quarterback to sit to learn goes back for a long time and been successful. The trend to start a Quarterback picked very high started in around 2008. The Cam Newton, the Collin Kaepernick, Russel Wilson, Andrew Luck, and RGIII. I don't buy into that, it just a lucky half decade.

I watched the game of Cleveland vs Washington. Manziel's style of play couldn't hold against the first team. The Redskins improved a bit on defense, but mostly improved on offense. Manziel faced off a number 17 defense and he struggled. He missed easy throws and under thrown many balls. When the pocket was stable, he still went out of the pocket and couldn't find a rhythm scrambling. I think he is not ready yet.

Suzuku your opinion? Answer the same questions by Sky Black Swordman.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 19:31   Link #8922
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Having no real interest in the NFL but wanting to know how my school's former players are doing in the NFL... how has Allen Robinson looked for the Jags so far? I heard he was injured, but I don't know if that's true or when it happened, if it did.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 19:35   Link #8923
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Having no real interest in the NFL but wanting to know how my school's former players are doing in the NFL... how has Allen Robinson looked for the Jags so far? I heard he was injured, but I don't know if that's true or when it happened, if it did.
Allen Robinson has been plagued by injuries so thus we haven't seen much. Though it is suspected he may return for the 4th preseason game. That being said, before he was injured, he was progressing very well and didn't make too many mistakes. His progress was ahead of Marqise Lee and many stated he looked like a veteran despite being a rookie. It been said he has the best hands on the Jaguars receiving corps.

I am not too worried about Allen Robinson, he bounce back from injury before and didn't miss a beat. A natural talent.
Old 2014-08-20, 20:15   Link #8924
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Allen Robinson has been plagued by injuries so thus we haven't seen much. Though it is suspected he may return for the 4th preseason game. That being said, before he was injured, he was progressing very well and didn't make too many mistakes. His progress was ahead of Marqise Lee and many stated he looked like a veteran despite being a rookie. It been said he has the best hands on the Jaguars receiving corps.

I am not too worried about Allen Robinson, he bounce back from injury before and didn't miss a beat. A natural talent.
That's unfortunate.

He held together really well the last couple years despite being the only real weapon in the receiving corps for us. Took a lot of glancing blows, but nothing really heavy, because he was so good running after the catch.

Old 2014-08-22, 10:32   Link #8925
GDB

Man, Steelers got embarrassed last night. I love it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 01:46   Link #8926
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Man, Steelers got embarrassed last night. I love it.
You can't get embarrassed in the preseason my friend.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 07:08   Link #8927
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I think all the hamstring problems with Robinson has to do with the Florida heat.
Old 2014-08-23, 08:37   Link #8928
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

^
Maybe, but he could be in for the 4th preseason game. Not so worried about him yet.

What are your thoughts on the 3rd preseason game?
Old 2014-08-23, 08:41   Link #8929
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
You can't get embarrassed in the preseason my friend.
When you can't even contend with your first stringers against the other team's second stringers, yeah you can. Especially when said second team is piloted by Mark Sanchez, and he marches back to back touchdowns against your vaunted defense, while your offense can't do squat.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 20:12   Link #8930
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
^
Maybe, but he could be in for the 4th preseason game. Not so worried about him yet.

What are your thoughts on the 3rd preseason game?
Bortles looks more like Johnny Football than Johnny Football in the NFL, lol. I really wasn't expecting him to be this good, he's playing like an old school Brett Favre/Dan Marino with a bit of Big Ben sprinkled in. His fixed mechanics have given him a canon arm and the throws he makes on the run are insane. You don't see the type of stuff he does often from NFL QBs. He has a gunslinger mentality, was not expecting that either. He has supreme confidence in his abilities. Plain and simple I only see the kind of stuff Bortles is doing from the best QBs in the league. And he hasn't even been able to show his clutch factor.

His ability to make pinpoint throws on the run and across his body is amazing. And what's even more impressive is that he can still stand tall in the pocket and deliver frozen ropes, avoid pressure, and doesn't get skittish and bail at the first sign of it. Usually when a QB is as mobile as he is they rely too much on their feet but he's the total opposite. I mean, he showed these traits at UCF, but they're on another level now, like it's more free flowing or something, if that makes sense.

He's just really fun to watch on top of being extremely productive. All of this while being the perfect face of a franchise and having Brady-like dedication to football and his craft. I think we lucked up and got the steal of the draft. Yes, even at pick 3, he's looking like he should have been the first pick, and with Bradford's injury, the second as well.
Old 2014-08-24, 20:24   Link #8931
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Honestly, if I could build the near perfect NFL QB, Bortles would probably be the product. Other than his lower body mechanic issues that are now being fixed, he has all the attributes of a perennial pro bowl QB. Fiery competitor, clutch, canon arm, ability to make throws on the run, goes through his progressions well, natural pocket presence, has supreme command of the offense, prototypical size and athleticism, 100% dedicated to football, doesn't do anything to embarrass the franchise, on top of it all, is close to a homegrown product coming from Orlando and is a fly under the radar college QB that has a permanent chip on his shoulder.

We got a good one that can compete with Luck and Clowney+Watt. Caldwell is a beast.

Also that Hurns kid is really good

Last edited by Suzuku; 2014-08-24 at 21:30.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 23:07   Link #8932
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Honestly, if I could build the near perfect NFL QB, Bortles would probably be the product. Other than his lower body mechanic issues that are now being fixed, he has all the attributes of a perennial pro bowl QB. Fiery competitor, clutch, canon arm, ability to make throws on the run, goes through his progressions well, natural pocket presence, has supreme command of the offense, prototypical size and athleticism, 100% dedicated to football, doesn't do anything to embarrass the franchise, on top of it all, is close to a homegrown product coming from Orlando and is a fly under the radar college QB that has a permanent chip on his shoulder.

We got a good one that can compete with Luck and Clowney+Watt. Caldwell is a beast.

Also that Hurns kid is really good
Well if I could make the perfect QB I would add Michael Vick's speed and elusiveness.

And yes, Bortles and Hurns look great. Can't wait to see them in action. Henne has been named the starter though for whatever reason. I don't see that being the case for long though.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2014-08-24, 23:08   Link #8933
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
When you can't even contend with your first stringers against the other team's second stringers, yeah you can. Especially when said second team is piloted by Mark Sanchez, and he marches back to back touchdowns against your vaunted defense, while your offense can't do squat.
There is no game planning in the preseason. It's literally televised practices. It means nothing.

The Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the 2008 preseason. They proceeded to go 0-16 in the regular season. That says it all. Preseason = nothing.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2014-08-25, 08:03   Link #8934
VTHokiePride

Not sure if this was posted, but Sam Bradford tore his ACL again. The Rams are looking to acquire Mark Sanchez from the Eagles.
Old 2014-08-25, 08:16   Link #8935
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

^
I think this the last time we will see Sam Bradford in a Rams uniform.
Old 2014-08-25, 20:38   Link #8936
JagdPanther

I saw that in the gym yesterday morning. Unreal. How can a guy have such bad luck?

Old 2014-08-25, 23:32   Link #8937
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I saw that in the gym yesterday morning. Unreal. How can a guy have such bad luck?
The thing with ACL injuries is that your chances of re-tearing are pretty high. With the best medical care, it's around 15%. It varies between the type of grafts you get with the new ACL. There's the allograft, usually from the achilles tendon or quadriceps tendon commonly from a cadaver, hamstring autograft, and bone-patellar tendon-bone graft.

I've partially torn my ACL, tore my meniscus and some cartilage my sophomore year while playing in my right knee. I re-tore it my junior year same knee. Last year, I tore my ACL again but in my left knee, thankfully. I know what it feels like to be in Bradford's position.
Old 2014-08-25, 23:52   Link #8938
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

There have been some methods in recent years using synthetic grafts. Hyper-extension of limbs from collisions, tackles or leaps can't always be avoided. And it is an injury that lurks - you just always wonder whether it could happen again. Seen some careers revive from it and some utterly fall apart.

The other concerning injury was Wes Welker getting another concussion - his third in the last 10 months. Being prone to those and the possible long-term effects are a real concern. Denver are giving no schedule for his return. Manning was furious after that hit.

One thing that is intriguing me is Minnesota. I know it is pre-season but they look more competitive, particularly on offense.

One thing concerning me is the 49ers. They were my pick for this year back when I did that Baltimore - Seattle - San Francisco prediction. Won't question their defense but on offense, things look out of sync. And just heard Bowman may miss 6 games games with injury - that's one of the guys they could least afford not to have on deck.

From what I've seen of him so far, Bishop Sankey is one real rocket. Guy has some moves and a lot of speed. Hopefully he has a good rookie season.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2014-08-26 at 05:48.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 18:58   Link #8939
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Jacksonville Mock Draft Version 2.0
Draft Scenario: The Jaguars have traded their 3rd overall pick to Falcon. In compensation, the Jaguars receive the Falcon's 6th overall and 37th overall picks. Jaguars now have 12 picks.

1st Round (6th Overall): #5 QB Blake Bortles, University of Central Florida: HT:6'5, WT: 232, Class: Redshirt Junior
Pros:
  • Prototypical Size
  • Great Arm Strength, effortlessly can throw 50 yards
  • Great Velocity in all of his throws
  • Best Pocket Awareness in position Draft Class
  • Athletic and mobile for his size
  • Scrambles if need to
  • Can withstand Pro Level Punishment
  • Confident, doesn't waver when he make mistakes
  • Unlikely to throw in extreme risky situations
  • Body Frame can add more muscle and weight
  • Can extend plays with his feet
  • Already possess Pro level preparation and learning in the film room
  • Terrific Football IQ and very coachable
  • Most moldable QB in the Draft
  • Mistakes are easily recognizable, minor, and can be fix by NFL coaching
  • Tough competitor, can carry the team and win from behind (Louisville)
  • Comfortable throwing on he run
  • Great Accuracy both on the run and the pocket, no differential in accuracy
  • Very Smooth and slides within the pocket very well, avoiding the rush
  • Shows great composure in the face of pressure even knowing he gets hit
  • Reads and recognize mistakes in the defense and blitzes
  • Knows when to throw it away and knows when to keep it
  • Great leader and possess great intangibles
  • Keeps his eye down the field even when pressured
  • Excellent Peripheral vision
  • Is not intimated when plays calls for QB to run
  • Very high ceiling, only has scratch it thus far

Cons:
  • Level of play is the American Athletic Conference
  • Not ready to start right out of the gate
  • A couple of throwing Mechanical issues and footwork
  • Bad habits, throw off his back foot
  • At times, doesn't step into his throws or even steps out
  • Operated in a one read offense
  • Scrambles usually in the middle, predictable if flush out of the pocket
  • Can be greedy and tries to make something out of nothing

Personal Notes: When I look at Blake Bortles, I see a top 20 prospect QB. He requires refinement and more consistency to be truly a top 5 pick. However, the product on the field shows extreme potential. He is a blend of Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger with his arm, awareness, mobility, and ability to escape the rush, but he has the inconsistency of a Jake Locker though it is less serious than what Locker has. On the stat sheet, it appears he has moderate accuracy, on film however, you see that many incompletes were on the fault of the wide receivers. Some may argue why not Manziel or Bridgewater, both of whom I say can fit in Jedd Fisch offense. However, Manziel style of play is going to be harder to mold and Jedd Fisch offense requires being able to stay in the pocket and not giving up on it completely when flush. There is also the worry of Manziel height and frame, there been successful examples of those who succeeded but there are also more failures than success. Bridgewater's frame and ceiling are my biggest worries. There isn't much to improve for Bridgewater, he is a close finished prospect but in the Pro Level is between 16-20, an average QB. Bortles has the physical and mental makeup to succeed in Jedd Fisch offense. His flaws can be corrected within his first season and could look to start maybe in the halfway mark of the season. His ceiling is very high, could even be a top 10 QB in the future. His personality is impressive, even impressing Gus Bradley whom overwhelms everybody with his charisma. Shows constant improvement, especially once the season ended and when the combine started. He is a work in progress, but he is the right fit for Fisch's offense.

Quote:
5th Round (144 Overall): #70 C Luke Bowanko, University of Virginia: HT: 6'6, WT: 302, Class: Redshirt Senior
Pros:
  • Excellent Size
  • Polish zone blocker
  • Moves well for his size
  • Gets to the second level well
  • High Football IQ
  • Consistent
  • Versatile, plays center and both guards
  • Good intangibles, team captain
  • Powerful, hold well against the bull rush
  • One of the few lineman who can play against Aaron Donald (Left Guard)
  • Body frame can put on plenty of more bulk
  • Big potential
  • Redirect the offensive line many times, pointing out flaws and mismatches

Cons:
  • Lacks some bulk
  • Sometimes can get beat by speedy defensive linemen
  • Cut block needs work
  • Largely unknown by many

Personal Notes: Luke Bowanko is a strange prospect. He was really hard to scout because there are few reports on him. However, he had film, though was hard to locate since no one did film dedicated to him. In 2013 he saw time at left guard (Pittsburgh, Oregon, Ball State, Brigham Young University) however, he looked more natural when he played center in particular against Clemson and Georgia Tech. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the other 6 videos when he played center. However, base on reports, he was solid. Luke Bowanko's play is most likely down played by how bad Virginia's offensive line was, he was lone bright spot I saw. He is the only center that the Jaguars have requested for a private workout and visit. From what I heard and read, he was requested also by the Packers and Vikings. Both teams known for having good offensive lines, great coaches on the offensive line, and already solid starting centers. His experience starting out at center, right, and left guard is a compile of great experience. He should be the starting center when he gets drafted. He will need to dedicate a large amount of time getting more bulk and strength. Other than that he seems solid and has great potential.

Quote:
5th Round (159 Overall): #65 RG Brandon Linder, University of Miami: HT: 6'6, WT: 318, Class: Senior
Pros:
  • Long and solid built guard
  • Very versatile, played right tackle when Henderson was not playing well
  • Solid frame that can build up bulk
  • Technically polish zone guard
  • Gets to the second level well
  • Holds well against the bull rush
  • Solid Punch
  • Maneuvers well in the inside
  • Good Football IQ
  • Very active in blocking
  • Flaws are minor, can be correct before season starts

Cons:
  • Too active in blocking, have to stay vigilant and stay at the line when not ask to block
  • Feet technique needs to be polish, few errors but does oversets at times
  • Cut blocking needs to be better
  • Has to get under his pads better, height makes it a problem
  • Could work to add more bulk
  • Completely zone, not versatile if ask to power block
  • Takes bad angles at the second level
  • Doesn't do well redirected at tackle

Personal Notes: Brandon Linder is a solid right guard and tackle during his time in Miami. He should be at right guard since he cannot redirect well. He is consistent starter and can carry extra work when ask to. Brandon Linder's time in the Senior Bowl done well, many considered him a 7th round and priority free agent before then and is now considered a early 6th rounder. having played for Jedd Fisch before should do well when he is drafted, will fit immediately and take well to the coaching staff. His flaws are minor and can be corrected in training camp and preseason. He will be a solid long time right guard and if ask to, change to right tackle.

Funny how right you were on these lol
Old 2014-08-27, 13:01   Link #8940
VTHokiePride

The NFL will uphold Josh Gordon's one year suspension. Looks like Cleveland's offense is going to struggle for another season.

Tags
american football, sports