Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-23, 16:23   Link #881
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I still don't understand the popularity..lol. I like the show but it is an economic and adventure show. Is everyone just that obsessed with Horo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
All-in-all, Horo IS my goddess, but she wouldn't be anywhere near as great without all of the other elements shaping her character.
yep that pretty much sums it for me, Horo is a great character and not one easily forgotten(that would be thanks to the ears and tail)

but then I could also say her first apperance in both anime and manga had me hooked, guess showing up butt naked has a very powerful effect on me(thats most likely teh inner ecchi speaking there)

sooo what would u call a Horo follower? Horonite? Horowegian? Horo....ner?
Old 2008-01-23, 16:28   Link #882
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Horo reminded me of ryuck from dead note (just a little) in this episode. She was just watching and laughing the whole time. First she spent all his money, he was like you have to start paying for your way. She was like shut up, I'm horo the great, I make money for fun. Then after he is satisfied with 5 she gets him 12 and it looks as if she planned it from the beginning. Man lawarence got his *ss pwned by horo. Then later she enlightens him about looking at stuff from a different perspective... Man why is horo 3 steps ahead of him? Its like horo is just with him to laugh. Its like she knows the answer, but just wants to see what he will do (really she wants to see him mess up, but she'll save him if it goes too far). Its reasons like this that I'm a horo-phile...

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 16:32   Link #883
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
A follower of Horoism would be a Horoist.

12 characters.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 16:32   Link #884
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
Its reasons like this that I'm a horo-phile...
I vote Horo-phile. But seriously, there should really be a vote for this kind of thing once the Church of Horo is officially established.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 16:42   Link #885
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, its the complete package of interesting elements. Maybe you have to be Civ player or Settlers boardgame fan?
For me, I'm a fan of of a number of the story's elements (feudal transitioning to market economy, Old religions vs aggressive new religions, animism, leisurely paced romance between two (maybe three) people, etc). Both Horo and Lawrence have some depth to their behavior and personality making it hard for anyone paying attention to slap some archetype label on them.

As far as Horo... well, she's had nearly 600 years to observe human-stuff and behavior, Lawrence has only been at it 7 years - though he catches on very fast (probably one of the higher intelligences in the region).
Old 2008-01-23, 17:12   Link #886
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I still don't understand the popularity..lol. I like the show but it is an economic and adventure show. Is everyone just that obsessed with Horo?
Yes. It's a good show but do you think it's so popular because of farmer talk?

It might also have to do with the fact that there aren't many shows this season, and of those only like four hold any major interest. So there's a little bit of slice of life, romance, setting, and fantasy complete with a cute girl and a decent male lead for people to get behind.

It's actually probably a good thing Spice and Wolf came out during a quieter time of the season honestly. Any other time it might have been drowned out by bigger named series.
Old 2008-01-23, 17:14   Link #887
ellifeedn
Thinker

I wonder if this series will get licensed.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:20   Link #888
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I wonder if this series will get licensed.
Doubt it, personally. Not enough explosions.
Old 2008-01-23, 17:22   Link #889
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Oh God. Could you imagine them making dub Horo speak in Old English or something?
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:42   Link #890
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Doubt it, personally. Not enough explosions.
speaking of that. How popular is this show with the japanese? I know they love the op, because its all over nico (might not be representative...) I know the laid back pace of this show is only acceptable with shoujo (in america), so how does it fit in with the japanese tastes?

Well horo (okamimimi are to die for!) was enough for me, but add op, then add the setting and this series is pure win for me...

Old 2008-01-23, 17:50   Link #891
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

In a slow winter season such as this, I'd assume SaW has captured its own share of the market. 2chan has had a number of threads about the anime (most positive, some don't like the added character and such). That's all I know.
Old 2008-01-23, 17:58   Link #892
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Oi, I got into not because of Horo, not because of Lawrence....mainly because it was a business show of sorts and I don't know why...but that is what drew me in. Guess that is why I am not obsessed with Horo as some..cough..anyways. Yeah.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 18:15   Link #893
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
speaking of that. How popular is this show with the japanese? I know they love the op, because its all over nico (might not be representative...) I know the laid back pace of this show is only acceptable with shoujo (in america), so how does it fit in with the japanese tastes?

Well horo (okamimimi are to die for!) was enough for me, but add op, then add the setting and this series is pure win for me...
Okay I'll bite: "I know the laid back pace of this show is only acceptable with shoujo (in america)"

On what basis and reference do you "know" that? Now if you'd said, "It seems like it may that this would be more popular with shoujo tastes." ... I might have let it lay there . I have no speculation on who might like this series because it contains many cross-over elements of appeal. Anyone who likes fictional stories in feudal settings with a dash of supernatural, perhaps.
Quote:
Oh God. Could you imagine them making dub Horo speak in Old English or something?
@Grimkill7: Actually, I'd have her speak mostly Shakespeare's tongue (elegant and witty) with a random dose of Old English ala Beowulf or perhaps a bit of Old Norse given her birthplace
Old 2008-01-23, 18:25   Link #894
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Finnish. I just pulled that outta my ass..but lol. So wouldn't she have an Olde Enlgish accent? That was more Germanic in type. She would have an Eastern/Northern European accent.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 18:28   Link #895
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah... the older the tongue you use the more you'd have to just kind of use the grammar structure and sprinkle enough words in to make it sound exotic (particularly when she's muttering). It would have to have some mode that sounds very formal or poetic to modern ears though.
Old 2008-01-23, 22:02   Link #896
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay I'll bite: "I know the laid back pace of this show is only acceptable with shoujo (in america)"

On what basis and reference do you "know" that? Now if you'd said, "It seems like it may that this would be more popular with shoujo tastes." ... I might have let it lay there . I have no speculation on who might like this series because it contains many cross-over elements of appeal. Anyone who likes fictional stories in feudal settings with a dash of supernatural, perhaps.
True true, I should watch how I say stuff around here, huh? Well you are right. My main comparison was shonen go boom and shoujo is about wubby dubby character driven plots. But that of course is an over generalization. I know for a fact that even though I'm a guy I have a strong preference for typically shoujo stuff.On the other hand most things I hear americans talk about (anime club at college, what I hear from anime conventions, and cartoon network, lol) are shounen or more on the shounen side. To the point where if I see any girls interested in anime/manga they prefer shounen, which is strange to me, because shoujo/josei is marketed for them, yet I hear so few ladies talk about that kind of stuff (maybe I'm not in the right circles, which is highly probable). Anyways I was trying to say or imply that perhaps this show would/might not fare well in america, or at least be over looked because of it's lack of explosions."I know the laid back pace of this show is only acceptable with shoujo (in america)" = in 3 episodes lawrence has not got "busy", horo has not turned into the kyuubi 9 tailed fox (I know she is a wolf), they are traveling and talking at a leisurely pace as they travel from place to place, and the op does not have heavy guitars (not pace related, lol). That seemed anti-shounen to me, but I did not make myself clear and should of expressed in a different way *hangs head* (but I guess its not anti shounen, its just a cross over). Buuuut horo-chan might pull in some american views.

Old 2008-01-23, 23:21   Link #897
Ultenth

It's actually classified as sienen to my knowledge. In other words it's for adult males, and thus the lack of overly stimulating stuff found in shounen (pantsu shots, explosions, etc.).
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 23:50   Link #898
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Really? I didn't know that, but it makes sense. It seems like a story that would be for older males...

Old 2008-01-24, 00:52   Link #899
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
In a slow winter season such as this, I'd assume SaW has captured its own share of the market. 2chan has had a number of threads about the anime (most positive, some don't like the added character and such). That's all I know.
Don't suppose anyone can post a list of the 2 chan threads for winter anime... um I think it was Karou who did it last time.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 05:02   Link #900
Khaos

Arrow

Just a little btw story:
Yesterday I visited a friend (who also likes Horo) at his workplace at a small university library. Later in the evening a woman with a dog came, and since she was busy, the dog strolled around and came to us, licking our hands searching for attention.
It was a cute female dog at about the size of a small wolf and she had partly red fur, pointed ears and looked at us with biig eyes, so I just had to call her Horo.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen