Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-28, 00:45   Link #881
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
1. If a thread starter deletes the first post, would the whole thread be deleted?
Yes, it would delete the whole thread except that we do not allow this. The first post in a thread is not able to be deleted by the thread starter specifically to prevent this.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 09:07   Link #882
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

What's the plural form of fish?

"There are many fish in the sea."

OR

"There are many fishes in the sea."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 09:17   Link #883
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

fish: "There are many fish in the sea."
Old 2007-11-28, 09:38   Link #884
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

OR

hmmmmm i think its answer has to be "There are many fish in the sea." but i would have also accepted "There are many Fishies in the sea" for 5 bonus points ^^
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 10:01   Link #885
Slice of Life
eyewitness

"Fishes" means "several species of fish" (compare to "peoples"). So there are also many fishes in the sea, I'd say.
Old 2007-11-28, 15:40   Link #886
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

OR

I believe Fish is the correct form.

--- Ha! i'm correct, according to the wiki article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
irregular plurals

There are many other less regular ways of forming plurals, usually stemming from older forms of English or from foreign borrowings.

[edit] Nouns with identical singular and plural

Some nouns spell their singular and plural exactly alike; these are regarded by some linguists as regular plurals. Many of these are the names of animals:

deer
fish (and many individual fish names: cod, mackerel, trout, etc.)
moose
sheep
swine

The plural deers is listed in some dictionaries,but is considered by many to be an error.

Fish does have a regular plural form, but it differs in meaning from the unmarked plural; fishes refers to several species or other taxonomic types, while fish (plural) is used to describe multiple individual animals: one would say "the order of fishes," but "five fish in an aquarium." The plural fishes is found in the King James Bible, in the miracle of the loaves and fishes, for example, and is also sometimes used for rhetorical emphasis, as in phrases like sleep with the fishes.

Other nouns that have identical singular and plural forms include:

aircraft
blues
cannon (sometimes cannons)
head

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 16:23   Link #887
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

I thought fish and its plural form are the same, but I do hear also people who say "fishes" as shown by the wiki article

Meh, grammar xD

I'll ask a silly question then(grammar again)

A teacher told me that the phrase "The reason is because " is redundant, and I do see the reason for that, but yet people just keep on saying it so I guess is it acceptable now lol?

Oh well, silly, silly me xD
Old 2007-11-28, 18:29   Link #888
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I have been looking for the name of a music on a old commercial for the absolute longest time and up to this day i still haven't found it. The commercial is from an old Diamond or Jewelry American Commercial from like 5-6 years ago. I don't remember which company it was representing but I do believe it's a Christmas Jingle "Tubular Bell" or what my friend told me. but every time I went to search for it, it turned out wrong, since for most of my search it keep turning out "Mike Olkenfield" and the Exorcist theme song.

The commercial I remember was pretty much all black and you had a man and a woman who i think were in wedding dress and suit in sessions from each end of the TV screen, and eventually I think the man gave the woman the ring, which is why I keep insisting that it's a diamond commercial. I do believe it's that parody diamond commercial from "Futurama".

Any help finding this song would be much appreciated.

i can even humh it out ^_^.

dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum and it gets faster and sometimes slower as the music goes along. Most of the bass seem to come from some thing like the triangle when it chimes and almost like bells.

AHHH!! I can't find crap!

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-11-30, 20:25   Link #889
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Question to the mods.

What's the official take on posting screencaps (with subs) in a MFI thread?

I was gonna make a comment in one using a screencap to go along with it, but then I noticed it has subs and didn't want to start a discussion about that in such a thread. >_< !

EDIT:

Lol, never mind. GHDpro already answered my question.
Old 2007-11-30, 20:41   Link #890
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I have been looking for the name of a music on a old commercial for the absolute longest time and up to this day i still haven't found it. The commercial is from an old Diamond or Jewelry American Commercial from like 5-6 years ago. I don't remember which company it was representing but I do believe it's a Christmas Jingle "Tubular Bell" or what my friend told me. but every time I went to search for it, it turned out wrong, since for most of my search it keep turning out "Mike Olkenfield" and the Exorcist theme song.

The commercial I remember was pretty much all black and you had a man and a woman who i think were in wedding dress and suit in sessions from each end of the TV screen, and eventually I think the man gave the woman the ring, which is why I keep insisting that it's a diamond commercial. I do believe it's that parody diamond commercial from "Futurama".

Any help finding this song would be much appreciated.

i can even humh it out ^_^.

dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum and it gets faster and sometimes slower as the music goes along. Most of the bass seem to come from some thing like the triangle when it chimes and almost like bells.

AHHH!! I can't find crap!
Can't help you directly, but if you remember what the commercial was for and who makes the product, try emailing them. I remember there was on tampon commercial with a snippet from a song I'd heard before and really wanted identified. I sent them an email, describing the commercial and asking for the artist and song title. A few weeks later, they responded with it. Since you've waited a long time you may not get a fast or precise response, but it's worth a try.
Old 2007-11-30, 22:02   Link #891
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Can't help you directly, but if you remember what the commercial was for and who makes the product, try emailing them. I remember there was on tampon commercial with a snippet from a song I'd heard before and really wanted identified. I sent them an email, describing the commercial and asking for the artist and song title. A few weeks later, they responded with it. Since you've waited a long time you may not get a fast or precise response, but it's worth a try.
Yeah, but I don't even remember what company made that commercial >.<. I know, I am almost 110% sure it was a Diamond Commercial. But I'll try that. Maybe it was Zales? lol

edit- I FOUND IT! ^_^
*It's Debeer "A Diamond is Forever" commerical

Found the theme song too and it's name ^_^. The theme is called "Palladio, A Diamond is Forever" done by Bezo . I do believe ^_^

It wasn't a christmas jingle, but I sound sorta like a christmas jingle though, lol ^_^

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-12-02 at 01:03.
Old 2007-12-02, 21:31   Link #892
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

This is a stupid question, but what exactly is a torrent? I looked it up on dictionary.com, but it didn't give me the answer I was looking for (i.e. computer-related definition).

Also, can anyone tell me how .rar files work? I can't seem to figure it out on my own.
Old 2007-12-02, 22:18   Link #893
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
This is a stupid question, but what exactly is a torrent? I looked it up on dictionary.com, but it didn't give me the answer I was looking for (i.e. computer-related definition).
If you mean a torrent as in a BitTorrent torrent, it's simply a file that directs your computer to a tracker and tells it how many files there will be, how large they will be, and their hash calculations. The tracker gives your client a list of other peers, which your client then contacts and requests pieces of the file(s) for. Once your client has at least one piece, it begins uploading to other peers as well.

Quote:
Also, can anyone tell me how .rar files work? I can't seem to figure it out on my own.
Similar to ZIP files, only with a few more features. They use a lossless compression algorithm to somewhat compress the file sizes down. A few years ago I heard an example of how such an algorithm would work: suppose you have a large image file that's just a large white background and maybe a black dot or two. The white would compress very easily because it's repeating data. On the other hand, a picture with a lot of colors wouldn't compress quite as easily, as there's less repeating data. JPEGs are already highly compressed, so trying to compress them with a RAR file wouldn't yield much in file size savings - it's almost like trying to make a RAR of a RAR. Beyond a certain point, compression isn't effective anymore.

It did occur to me while writing this that you were wondering how to use RAR files, rather than question their technical merits. You want the program Winrar if you're on Windows. If you're using a Mac, Google for it. I personally use something called "Macpar deLuxe" which isn't made for dealing with compressed archives, but as a side feature it is able to decompress RAR files.
Old 2007-12-03, 02:44   Link #894
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I got a new personal goal, and this goal is to share information ^^

I'm looking for any sites to collect information an any anime/manga/ero/ artists. I know there's some site that have some artist list here and there, but looking for them all ^^. I just wanna catalog as much as I can, since there's so many unknown artist out there, I though this might be a good way for me to find some of them out and simply present their works for the world to see.

"Sigh" the doujin world is gonna be the hardest one to collect information on >.<. I've been starting my list, and i'm going 100 strong so far ^^

Old 2007-12-03, 17:40   Link #895
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Really silly question, but was there a incident where a mod was banned? And can a mod ban themselves?
Old 2007-12-03, 18:37   Link #896
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Really silly question, but was there a incident where a mod was banned? And can a mod ban themselves?
For the duration i've been here, I haven't seen anything like that >.<

Old 2007-12-03, 20:05   Link #897
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@Terrestrial Dream:

Moderators, presuming one would start counting from the day they've been appointed, have only had at most their signatures removed, as far as the official records go. ~ Even on less then well spoken forums, things like this are simply not made public. These people, that are moderators here, are particularly not so foolish nor stupid so as to share such information...

Just in case. Its a less known policy, but even questions such as: "Why was X banned..." (where X would be a member) are forbidden (even as discussions between members) and are physically removed on the spot.

BTW, I think it's safe to guess all the replies related to your questions would probably end up deleted should this turn into a conversation.
Old 2007-12-03, 22:20   Link #898
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
There is a mod who was banned before he became a moderator, but we've never had any problem with disciplining our own membership after appointing them to such a position.

Though I seem to remember that a long time ago a moderator got banned by accident once. I can't remember the details except that it only lasted a short time before we caught the error. I wish I could recall the details, but another moderator might remember.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 22:39   Link #899
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Everyone's human, things happen
Old 2007-12-04, 01:19   Link #900
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Everyone's human, things happen
i dunno....if u ask me a moderator is the closet thing to god down here.
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious