Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 09:36   Link #881
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Got some info on the character song CDs. The first two. Everyone gets a song of their own, and their version of a song called "Magical☆Mahjong☆World" (まじかる☆まーじゃん☆わーるど), spelled in about the cutest way possible.

Shizuno
"YES!!READY to PLAY"

Ako
"Live A-Life"

Well, Kuro does have a thing with dragons going for her...
Fixed that (in bold) for you.

Reason: Kuro's character song is "Dragon Magic".

Though there are more monsters than magic.

Hence for the answer to my post above, will be shown by tomorrow 10:30pm.

Reposting question: What is the reference in this video shown?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17915075
Old 2012-05-28, 09:53   Link #882
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm still having trouble telling these characters apart.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 12:51   Link #883
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Of course, like what Sentinel said, Kuro's ability seems bugged and filled with holes that can be easily read by enemies.
At the same time, anyone who is not suspecting Kuro's play will get burned.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 13:11   Link #884
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I'm still having trouble telling these characters apart.
Here's how I tell them apart:

1. There's the energetic genki girl lead who doesn't wear pants... or skirts... or underwear going by the running Saki joke.

2. There's the vaguely Yuki Nagato-esque one who wears a neat glove and has a family that runs a bowling alley, IIRC. She fangasms over the team's coach.

3. There's the vaguely Mikuru Asahina-esque one who's constantly cold and hence wear's a scarf all the time.

4. There's No. 3's sister.

5. And by process of elimination, this is the only one left.

Seriously, I'd have a *hard* time telling 4 and 5 apart if not for the sister connection between 3 and 4, lol.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:13   Link #885
Midonin
Last Engage

Points 4 and 5 are what messed me up on the character song announcements. Ako and Kuro look just similar enough that I thought one was the other. It was only when I checked the anime's official site that I saw Kuro had a character song title more befitting of her. If the main series can have a rainbow of hair colors, it wouldn't hurt to vary up the appearance of the side story characters.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 13:24   Link #886
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Points 4 and 5 are what messed me up on the character song announcements. Ako and Kuro look just similar enough that I thought one was the other. It was only when I checked the anime's official site that I saw Kuro had a character song title more befitting of her. If the main series can have a rainbow of hair colors, it wouldn't hurt to vary up the appearance of the side story characters.
I totally agree with you. In fact, too much "sameness" in character design was one of my two main criticisms of Achiga-hen when this series started (my other criticism was lack of super-powered mahjong; thankfully that's no longer an issue, at least ).

Ako and Kuro look way too much alike. Even their typical posture, mannerisms, and personality are pretty similar, imo. One of them should have had a more stand-out hair color to differentiate between the two (the other 3 have some sort of quirk that you can tell them by after awhile).
Old 2012-05-28, 13:29   Link #887
Kyuu
=^^=

Thing is: this Achiga team is "ordinary" by design. Personalities do not necessarily stand out as hard as many of the other schools, and none of their sticks stick out either. On top of that, they come from a virtually no-name area with no powerhouses. Yea, sure, Bansei? But that school got written off faster than they were introduced.

Essentially, this is an underdog group with characteristics, that people can't really hate on. If anything, this Achiga team appears quite on the innocent side. I could say the same thing about that Kentani team, but someone had to be the victim.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:37   Link #888
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Ako? Kuro? Similar? Wait what?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 13:47   Link #889
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Ako? Kuro? Similar? Wait what?
To me, Ako and Kuro are both:

1) Serious-minded mahjong players that are pretty reserved and kind of professional, especially compared to the rest of the five-member team (lol!pantsless Genki Girl, lol!always-cold/shy-girl).

2) Similar height/stature.

3) Don't have any stand-out quirks to them.

The only way I can tell them apart is by one having a sister that she's protective of, and the other one doesn't. I'm quite thankful for all those sister flashbacks because I wouldn't be able to tell my "4" and "5" apart if not for that.

So how do you tell them apart, Proto? Serious question. I'd love to know, lol.
Old 2012-05-28, 14:04   Link #890
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So how do you tell them apart, Proto? Serious question. I'd love to know, lol.
Shizu is crazy and aloof. Ako is not.

Spoiler for NSFW:

Yet, both might not be covering themselves properly. XD
Old 2012-05-28, 14:12   Link #891
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Kuro, although not shy she's more reserved in how she is than Ako, while Ako is a much more outspoken person herself. Second to that Ako has tsurime eyes while Kuro has tareme eyes (which further reiforces the previous point given that tsurime/tareme eyes are normally given to people with those character traits). Third their hairstyle and hair color are sufficiently different I'd think.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 19:40   Link #892
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Kuro, although not shy she's more reserved in how she is than Ako, while Ako is a much more outspoken person herself. Second to that Ako has tsurime eyes while Kuro has tareme eyes (which further reiforces the previous point given that tsurime/tareme eyes are normally given to people with those character traits). Third their hairstyle and hair color are sufficiently different I'd think.
This. I don't understand how can someone can't tell the different between them given this fact.
Old 2012-05-28, 19:58   Link #893
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
People are also forgetting the fact that Kuro has dark VIOLET hair and eyes, while Ako has light brown hair with small side-tails. Is it so hard people? :P
Old 2012-05-28, 21:21   Link #894
alphahon

Talking how to identify Ako from Kuro... Anybody thinks that Ako looks like those girls engages in enjo-kōsai (i.e. compensated dating)? No offence to Ako but I saw some Japanese and Chinese forum has such comment.
alphahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 21:41   Link #895
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahon View Post
Talking how to identify Ako from Kuro... Anybody thinks that Ako looks like those girls engages in enjo-kōsai (i.e. compensated dating)? No offence to Ako but I saw some Japanese and Chinese forum has such comment.

That's one of the most non-sequitur observations I've ever read of about Ako. o_o

Another thing that distinguishes Ako from Kuro is the fact that she's... less healthy (oh you know) than Kuro. Kuro's as "talented" as her sister Yuu, after all.
Old 2012-05-28, 21:49   Link #896
kona~chan
ヘタレ

for me kuro is easy to remember since her seiyuu is hanazawa kana ...
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 22:21   Link #897
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
People are also forgetting the fact that Kuro has dark VIOLET hair and eyes, while Ako has light brown hair with small side-tails. Is it so hard people? :P
Compared to telling the members of Team Kiyosumi apart, yeah, it is.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1) The overall size of the cast of "Saki-verse" is huge. The original Saki anime gets around this by an impressive variety of character shapes and sizes and hair colors and character idiosyncrasies/quirks. Otherwise, it would be very hard in the original Saki anime to keep everybody straight. If you're going to enlarge the cast even further by bringing in a new bunch of protagonists, it might be a good idea to keep that in mind.

2) Also, Achiga's uniform is kind of pinkish, and violet doesn't stand out that well next to pink, imo. Brown hair doesn't stand out much at all of course, at least as an anime hair color.

If Ako or Kuro had blue or green hair, say, that would make things much easier visually for me. Probably for Midonin too.

It's not a huge mark against the anime or anything, but it does make it a little trickier to follow at times.
Old 2012-05-28, 22:36   Link #898
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
... to keep everybody straight.
Wait, I thought being heterosexual was the exception rather than the rule for the characters in this series? :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back to the topic, I didn't have any problem distinguishing between the members of Team Achiga at all. My only problem was the fact that, compared to Kiyosumi, they didn't display the same kind of expected mahjong hax, and in THIS series the abilities are relatively low-tier.

I mean, we have a girl that can see into the future.
Old 2012-05-28, 22:41   Link #899
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Shizu is crazy and aloof. Ako is not.

Spoiler for NSFW:

Yet, both might not be covering themselves properly. XD
It just looks so wrong...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 23:16   Link #900
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Here's how I tell them apart:

1. There's the energetic genki girl lead who doesn't wear pants... or skirts... or underwear going by the running Saki joke.

2. There's the vaguely Yuki Nagato-esque one who wears a neat glove and has a family that runs a bowling alley, IIRC. She fangasms over the team's coach.

3. There's the vaguely Mikuru Asahina-esque one who's constantly cold and hence wear's a scarf all the time.(The anti-gravity pull Scarf.)

4. There's No. 3's sister.

5. And by process of elimination, this is the only one left.

Seriously, I'd have a *hard* time telling 4 and 5 apart if not for the sister connection between 3 and 4, lol.
How I read point 3 in another way.(Answer: Who have niconico account for japan should know that video, hence I shall give the answer.)

3. Achiga's Red Comet.(Red=Warm, and episode 6 shows... funnel tiles...)

Kuro also captures Dora's hearts well enough to make it so easily readable.(Comon, who will keep a nonsensical tile even though it is a dora?)

Note: If you watched the show already, Ako is a fast player who usually goes for fast hands like... tanyao...(Like someone who has a tsundere girl with Heavyarms helmet in his avatar...)

Now lets assume I did not watch Achiga hen but know the characters well. Note their clothes are different for each girl, unlike the other schools' girls..

How I tell who is Toki.

1. She has the Toki-like vibe.(Sickness(From what Key Board said.), finishing move involves chopping motions.(HOKUTO UJOU- *HIDEBU!!*))

2. Most of the time when she sleeps, she sleeps on Ryuuka's lap.("If you can't tell who is Ryuuka, I will post a picture about how to recognize them(Ryuuka and Toki)." From the lolicon master. Thats what he said, no name was given too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
for me kuro is easy to remember since her seiyuu is hanazawa kana ...
Go figure, she has a wide range of VAs nowadays. Compare Kanade from AB! and this...(I think they sound tad bit different.)

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-05-28 at 23:43.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri