Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-11-24, 21:55   Link #901
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasya(russ) View Post
Don't worry. Our government is not that reckless. It may ban turkish products or tourism or even cease diplomatic relations at worst case, but they won't resort to power, becase Turkey is a NATO member and Putin despite his cool image doesn't really have balls to seriously clash with the West.
I hope you're right. It's just that people could have the impression that Putin still lives in the Cold War though.

Just going to the logistics part alone, I wonder why the Russian military command didn't send the aircraft carrier on the way towards just off the Syrian coastline if the plan to deploy attacking planes was so important. I look at the map of the region, and it was obvious that any direct military flight from Russia to Syria would always be tricky considering what airspace belongs to whom in the area (Turkey, Iraq, Iran, etc.). Any attack with planes coming from a carrier would be unimpeded by airspace issues.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 21:57   Link #902
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They have been defending that border for a long time and have added protection for most of the Cold War.
Old 2015-11-25, 00:40   Link #903
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I hope you're right. It's just that people could have the impression that Putin still lives in the Cold War though.

Just going to the logistics part alone, I wonder why the Russian military command didn't send the aircraft carrier on the way towards just off the Syrian coastline if the plan to deploy attacking planes was so important. I look at the map of the region, and it was obvious that any direct military flight from Russia to Syria would always be tricky considering what airspace belongs to whom in the area (Turkey, Iraq, Iran, etc.). Any attack with planes coming from a carrier would be unimpeded by airspace issues.
As are a number of Western politicians. Cold War mentality remains.

Kuznetsov's carrier-borne jets aren't well-equipped for airstrikes just yet. Ordering it to head back Syria would worsen its already cumbersome condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasya(russ) View Post
Russian su-24 shot down near the turkish border. Both pilots dead. This kind of thing was expected, but it doesn't make the show less entertaining. Our officials are already considering ban on traveling to Turkey.
http://theaviationist.com/2015/11/24...own-by-turkey/
It'll be funny how other media sources dismissed that claim, nor even buying it or don't care at all.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-25, 01:20   Link #904
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Turkey isn't Ukraine or Georgia.

Even without NATO, Turkey probably got enough military muscle to slap around any Russian invasion force.
Don't want to break it to you, but Russian have about twice in manpower, about 3 times in military spending and the same different magnitude in airplanes...

...oh... and tactical nuke
Old 2015-11-25, 02:27   Link #905
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Which is why Turkey isn't going to invade Russia any time soon. It doesn't mean Russia can invade Turkey.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-25, 03:02   Link #906
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Which is why Turkey isn't going to invade Russia any time soon. It doesn't mean Russia can invade Turkey.
Russia can invade ANYONE. Even Jupiter.

What matters is what Putin thinks he can get away with. And we don't know Turkey's position in NATO is all that strong at the moment.
Old 2015-11-25, 03:27   Link #907
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If people want a war, I suggest invading Mars, the planet of war. So the conflict is ironically harmonious.
Old 2015-11-25, 03:32   Link #908
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If people want a war, I suggest invading Mars, the planet of war. So the conflict is ironically harmonious.
The ironic thing is... what you saidcould actually be true. Like if we can spend all these military budgets on space program, we could have already colonise Mars by now

...according to Neil Degrasse Tyson at least
Old 2015-11-25, 06:29   Link #909
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Turkey isn't Ukraine or Georgia.

Even without NATO, Turkey probably got enough military muscle to slap around any Russian invasion force.
Nahh....It's Saudi Arabia...

Sitting in NATO of all places

The irony
Old 2015-11-25, 09:22   Link #910
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It is thanksgiving season. Everyone NEEDS a Turkey during Thanksgiving.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-25, 15:48   Link #911
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Don't want to break it to you, but Russian have about twice in manpower, about 3 times in military spending and the same different magnitude in airplanes...
and how many commitments does the Russian army have? Last time i count there is Georgia, Ukraine and Chechnya. Ukraine would love for Russian to pull it army out and attack Turkey.

Turkey isn't as strong as Russian but it is no push over.

Quote:
...oh... and tactical nuke
only if Putin is completely insane.
Old 2015-11-26, 09:48   Link #912
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Then what about thermobaric warheads.

Heck they even built shoulder fired versions for it (RPO-A).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 15:01   Link #913
lateumn

Watching Putin's live speech now, he says 'we informed our American friends about where, when, and how high our planes are going to fly, and this is exactly where our plane was attacked. So either the US doesn't know how to control it's allies, or (...)'

Turkey did push itself into a corner with this really, and not only itself, but the entire NATO coalition.
It's questionable whether the Russia plane violated Turkish airspace or not, but even if it did, in this case Turkey violated the basic interception protocols. So the shooting down was by all means an illegitimate act and quite possibly illegal as well, despite all the 'sovereignty and defending airspace' talk. NATO should really review Turkey's membership in the alliance.
lateumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 19:15   Link #914
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

That's why I say Turkey is Saudi Arabia... They have a hand in this as much as them

Attacking Kurds....Backing the Turkoman militants....Trying to topple Assad...

They dumped as much fuel into the fire as the West and the Saudis and Iranians
Old 2015-11-27, 04:23   Link #915
lateumn

in latest Russian MoD press briefing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdtQpfwOoSg) it was stated that Turkish officials refused to provide official records of the "warnings" that the Turks have supposedly issued. When asked about whether the recording of "warning" that recently appeared on the net was released by the Turkish side and was legit, the Turks replied that they made no such leaks.
Old 2015-11-27, 04:47   Link #916
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Actually, the Turkish military officially released them on Wednesday.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 06:36   Link #917
lateumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Actually, the Turkish military officially released them on Wednesday.
The press briefing is from Thursday, so I suppose it addresses the Wednesday fakes
Old 2015-11-27, 06:55   Link #918
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Probably not if they're only talking about unofficial leaks. The Turkish army later released recordings officially.
Old 2015-11-27, 07:05   Link #919
lateumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Probably not if they're only talking about unofficial leaks. The Turkish army later released recordings officially.
Any credible sources?
Also, based on ANNA News footage, the trail of the missile fired seemed to have been inside Syrian airspace. So again, this whole story is weird if we were to take the Turkish perspective.
No radio warnings. (debatable)
No visual warnings. (confirmed by Turkey itself, as they later claimed they had no idea it was a Russian plane)
Attacked based on 17 seconds violation. (debatable)
Yet debris and missile trail is inside Syrian territory/airspace. (confirmed)
Old 2015-11-27, 13:23   Link #920
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateumn View Post
Any credible sources?
The Guardian