AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-09-03, 00:27   Link #921
Iron Maw
Banned

The fight was more or less standard MMORPG buffing &/or debuffing>attack (magic or physical) cycle. It's a style meant to be familiar to those who played to genre and because the magic in this series based on game. My main problem is that all feels lassie-faire, like in how the spell naming is flavorless (Item Detect, Greater Item Break etc) or the visual effects in most of the time are kind of sub-par like Acid Javelin. Essentially the magic in Overlord doesn't feel very grand to me say in the way Fate/Stay Night UBW or Zero did which came across more natural. It works enough for what it is (something typically from a game) but not much beyond that.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 01:45   Link #922
chaos_animagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
I'm not a big fan of CG being used in anime myself, but i though the dragons were cool with a nice detail work. The movements were also very fluid. Overlord's animation may not be its best quality, but after seeing so many adaptations with horrible animations i can't complain much here.
I thought dragons were cool too.

I think the "plastic-look" is from the dragon reflecting light to give the impression of rotting.

___ ___ ___

And although the spell names may sound weird.

But I too think it fits because it's a game type world.

Most games have simple or interesting sound spell names.

Fate on the other hand... are not from a game, they're based on existing Legends (most of the times)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 01:53   Link #923
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
I'm not a big fan of CG being used in anime myself, but i though the dragons were cool with a nice detail work. The movements were also very fluid.
I agree with this. The CG skeletal dragons in this episode look cool and moves rather fluidly. I'd say it's even better than the CG Fire Dragon in GATE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
My main problem is that all feels lassie-faire, like in how the spell naming is flavorless (Item Detect, Greater Item Break etc)..........essentially the magic in Overlord doesn't feel very grand to me say in the way Fate/Stay Night UBW or Zero did which came across more natural.
Just want to point out that the German magic chants in FSN spouted by Rin are actually bad German. They’re just random German words randomly thrown together in a random manner . So, many of the German spell names in FSN are actually pretty bad or worse compared to MMORPG-English spells in Overlords. Take that as you will .
Old 2015-09-03, 05:43   Link #924
monster

Quote:
The fight was more or less standard MMORPG buffing &/or debuffing>attack (magic or physical) cycle. It's a style meant to be familiar to those who played to genre and because the magic in this series based on game. My main problem is that all feels lassie-faire, like in how the spell naming is flavorless (Item Detect, Greater Item Break etc) or the visual effects in most of the time are kind of sub-par like Acid Javelin. Essentially the magic in Overlord doesn't feel very grand to me say in the way Fate/Stay Night UBW or Zero did which came across more natural. It works enough for what it is (something typically from a game) but not much beyond that.
I see. Well, I think it's important to note that the magic in the Fate universe still seems to be hidden from the general public. That doesn't seem to be the case in the world of Overlord. So I actually think it's suitable that the use of magic itself is less grand than it would be in Fate where you're basically dealing with legends and secret wars.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 06:55   Link #925
Hmm....

Quote:
Yes, I am aware. Doesn't make it any less jarring. Nabe vs Kajit almost felt like turn-based battle at some points. To be fair I had similar problem with Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka too but not as much as here, so it's not exclusive to Overlord. Mixing actual fantasy aspects with MMORPG ones aren't a particular trend I've come to like in LNs or anime in general.
I am fine with this as long as the story make a point that it is in their plot.That it is within MMO or used to be game wolrd or some God works (with convincing reason). But yea, There are a bunch of LN that mixed the two together for no apparent reason. I found those jarring as well.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 07:22   Link #926
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

The spells are actually obvious homage to the D&D magic. The magic tiers also came from that. Though Momonga stated in ep.1 that Yggdrasil uses MP instead of the the Spellbook system from D&D.
Old 2015-09-03, 09:16   Link #927
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I agree with this. The CG skeletal dragons in this episode look cool and moves rather fluidly. I'd say it's even better than the CG Fire Dragon in GATE.
I think like most CG this season it's a decent effort (especially since they try make blend in with the backdrop), but result still not much better than a early PS2 game. Certainly beats those clay muppet skeletons from last week though.

Wasn't bad enough to ruin the fight for me eitherway and it's um (re?) death animation was pretty neat at least.

Quote:
Just want to point out that the German magic chants in FSN spouted by Rin are actually bad German. They’re just random German words randomly thrown together in a random manner . So, many of the German spell names in FSN are actually pretty bad or worse compared to MMORPG-English spells in Overlords. Take that as you will .
Somehow, I'm not surprised at that.

Yeah imagine the spells sound a lot cooler to the Japanese fans.
Old 2015-09-03, 09:34   Link #928
Ultragunner

perhaps this has been asked already, but can anyone explain to me why Ainz chose Nabe to accompany him when he becomes Momon? (I don't mind a bit spoiler from the LN but please put it in the spoiler tag ). Is it because she looks the most "human" among all of his servants?
Old 2015-09-03, 09:34   Link #929
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I really didn't mind the CG for the skeletal dragons despite I'm usually very picky when it comes to CGI in anime. In fact, the "shiny" effect give a certain emphasis on their undead nature and the fact the full moon is shining upon them.

Speaking of which, I appreciated the details regarding Nabe's fight against the dragons: the fact she kept the sheath demonstrates clearly the author/anime staff know their stuff from DnD stuff. Since the dragons are essentially composed of bones, cut damage is quite inefficient compared to damage dealt by blunt weapons.
Likewise, the skeletal dragons have that imposing physical presence, whereas they have a very simple pattern without their ability to use any dragon breath.
Same goes with Ains' "embrace" on Clementine: considering his lich nature, there is no way for her to get away as a lich has a tremendous physical stamina compared to other undead entities. If we consider the absurd gap in power between the two, it was already checkmate.

That episode makes quite a lot of references to established settings from DnD stories, and it really doesn't feel out of place.
In fact, I'd be pretty disappointed if the names weren't following such trend.

And I honestly disagree with the "turn based" look of the fights. Nabe and the dragons were always changing course of action based on the other actions. Meanwhile, Clementine was always changing her pattern based on Momon moves, while the latter was merely observing her so sticked to very plain sword swings.
Old 2015-09-03, 09:57   Link #930
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
perhaps this has been asked already, but can anyone explain to me why Ainz chose Nabe to accompany him when he becomes Momon? (I don't mind a bit spoiler from the LN but please put it in the spoiler tag ). Is it because she looks the most "human" among all of his servants?
Is my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I really didn't mind the CG for the skeletal dragons despite I'm usually very picky when it comes to CGI in anime. In fact, the "shiny" effect give a certain emphasis on their undead nature and the fact the full moon is shining upon them.

Speaking of which, I appreciated the details regarding Nabe's fight against the dragons: the fact she kept the sheath demonstrates clearly the author/anime staff know their stuff from DnD stuff. Since the dragons are essentially composed of bones, cut damage is quite inefficient compared to damage dealt by blunt weapons.
Likewise, the skeletal dragons have that imposing physical presence, whereas they have a very simple pattern without their ability to use any dragon breath.

That episode makes quite a lot of references to established settings from DnD stories, and it really doesn't feel out of place.
In fact, I'd be pretty disappointed if the names weren't following such trend.
I'm not very familiar with DnD so that's probably why the nods didn't do much for me.

Quote:
And I honestly disagree with the "turn based" look of the fights. Nabe and the dragons were always changing course of action based on the other actions. Meanwhile, Clementine was always changing her pattern based on Momon moves, while the latter was merely observing her so sticked to very plain sword swings.
Yeah, but pacing of the fight felt kinda of slow and not very dynamic. I know you can't do much about that in a magic duel, but I would have at least something more in the way of tactics make up for it. I don't mean just buffing either.

Ainz vs Clementine was alright and nothing I had any real issue with, but it's not much of a fight when the only significant thing the former does is hug the later to death. Literally.
Old 2015-09-03, 10:11   Link #931
RDNexus

Isn't that your taste in fighting scenes talking out loud?
As far as I've seen, Overlord might not diverge much from these kinds of confrontations.

Maybe it'd be better for you to get used to this kind of action or you may end up complaining again at the end of the adaption.
Just saying, since I haven't read the Novels myself...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 10:16   Link #932
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yeah, but pacing of the fight felt kinda of slow and not very dynamic. I know you can't do much about that in a magic duel, but I would have at least something more in the way of tactics make up for it. I don't mean just buffing either.
There is no way there would be any more tactics than that. Narberal was stuck to her Nabe setup, which means she is at best a orihalchon/Adamantite level of heroes for the said setup of the alternate world, which means she is "merely" on par with Stronoff or a bit better than him.
Because of that, her potential is completely shut down by the skeletal dragon. Even if she were to spam spells on Kajit, the Skeletal Dragon will protect him at all cost, and having 2 of them makes any attempt of spellspam completely useless.

Meanwhile, Kajit tried to assist his first skeletal dragon, but seeing how Nabe could deal with both undead flame and acid javelin effortlessly, it was best for him to summon another skeletal dragon than just continuing with a needless spell warfare.
In term of spells, a Necromancer has vastly less options than a regular magic caster, as they are similar to a summoner: they are heavily dependant on summoned undead units and the very few debuff spells at their arsenal. Against someone who has a complete barrier against such kind of magic, it is a complete waste of mana to continue this circus.

Quote:
Ainz vs Clementine was alright and nothing I had any real issue with, but it's not much of a fight when the only significant thing the former does is hug the later to death. Literally.
As Ains commented about it, the fight had a LOT of information:
-Martial arts can bypass the equipment difference (a mere rapier could hardly handle the huge difference in weight and quality compared to his claymore)
-Martial arts provide a lot of different effects that can be on par with magic (already proved with Stronoff fending off a whole army by himself)
-Martial arts are pretty similar to skills which aren't limited like spells due to casting speed or obvious visual cues
-Weapons in that world has a special features: that spells can be stored in them, leading to special effects when it is desirable.
-Unlike Yggdrassil which was merely a game, "real logic" applies in this world where balance is necessary for proper attacks and martial arts (which is the polar opposite of SAO where they only had to pull the sword skill motions, which is potentially the same in Yggdrassil).

Ains VS clementine fight was essentially another world building scene so to speak. Since Ains wouldn't use his magic caster class against clementine, the fight was essentially stuck to a vain struggle of a epic geared lvl30 against a disguised lvl100 with just fancy gear.
Old 2015-09-03, 10:17   Link #933
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Isn't that your taste in fighting scenes talking out loud?
As far as I've seen, Overlord might not diverge much from these kinds of confrontations.

Maybe it'd be better for you to get used to this kind of action or you may end up complaining again at the end of the adaption.
Just saying, since I haven't read the Novels myself...
I've said the fights have been decent, I'm just not blow away by them as much most people are.

EDIT:

Quote:
There is no way there would be any more tactics than that. Narberal was stuck to her Nabe setup, which means she is at best a orihalchon/Adamantite level of heroes for the said setup of the alternate world, which means she is "merely" on par with Stronoff or a bit better than him.
Because of that, her potential is completely shut down by the skeletal dragon. Even if she were to spam spells on Kajit, the Skeletal Dragon will protect him at all cost, and having 2 of them makes any attempt of spellspam completely useless.

Meanwhile, Kajit tried to assist his first skeletal dragon, but seeing how Nabe could deal with both undead flame and acid javelin effortlessly, it was best for him to summon another skeletal dragon than just continuing with a needless spell warfare.
In term of spells, a Necromancer has vastly less options than a regular magic caster, as they are similar to a summoner: they are heavily dependant on summoned undead units and the very few debuff spells at their arsenal. Against someone who has a complete barrier against such kind of magic, it is a complete waste of mana to continue this circus.
I simply expected Nabe to have more variety than a few offensive spells or others abilities (she using a sword isn't she?) in her repertoire for being a high level being before she overpowered him. The fight felt a little draggy because of it. Otherwise it was an okay battle.

Quote:
As Ains commented about it, the fight had a LOT of information:
-Martial arts can bypass the equipment difference (a mere rapier could hardly handle the huge difference in weight and quality compared to his claymore)
-Martial arts provide a lot of different effects that can be on par with magic (already proved with Stronoff fending off a whole army by himself)
-Martial arts are pretty similar to skills which aren't limited like spells due to casting speed or obvious visual cues
-Weapons in that world has a special features: that spells can be stored in them, leading to special effects when it is desirable.

Ains VS clementine fight was essentially another world building scene so to speak.
Right I really wasn't disagreeing with that. I never thought much of a battle here to began with. I predicted last week it would just be Clementine showing off until Ainz lost interest. So it was fine what for it was because it is most realistic thing that could happen here.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-09-03 at 10:42.
Old 2015-09-03, 10:53   Link #934
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I simply expected Nabe to have more variety than a few offensive spells or others abilities (she using a sword isn't she?) in her repertoire for being a high level being before she overpowered him. The fight felt a little draggy because of it. Otherwise it was an okay battle.
You have to reconsider "Nabe" and not "Narberal" in such case. Nabe is pretty much a magic caster version of Stronoff. Considering the Skeletal Dragon, there was no way for her to deal with it when it is fully buffed. Any other offensive spells would be pointless, that's why Clementine confidently said there was no way for Nabe to defeat Kajit as a magic caster. In fact, Nabe actually lost because she was stuck in a stalemate against both Skeletal Dragons for a while, and it was just a matter of time she would be really defeated in such case.

Meanwhile, Kajit himself was surprised that a magic caster had enough physical strength to fend off a skeletal dragon, which means "Nabe" specs were already too high. But that's all there is to is: it just means "Nabe" has a lot of strength, but it doesn't mean she can skillfully use a sword to defeat a monster.
Since she is a magic caster, she has the same predicament than Ains had with "Momon": she lacks of skills that could use her physical potential.
As far as it goes "Nabe" is not a magical fencer or adept of 2 classes, therefore, the only thing she can do with a sword is simply wild swings hoping the sheer force would be enough to knock down the dragons, but it is arguably insufficient against buffed dragons.
In such setup, there is no way for her to deal with the skeletal dragon with just sheer force.
Old 2015-09-03, 11:01   Link #935
Hmm....

Quote:

I think a lot of it has to do with heavy dialogue, or rather, heavy taunting. FSN UBW also suffered similar problem (for me at least) in latter part of the series. It's actual animation remain as awesome as ever. However, each sequence lasted only a swing or two, then they stop and talk, swing another time, stop and respond, rinse and repeat. That really disrupt combat flow for me.

Nabe vs Khajit is not really a magic duel either. Khajit didn't really do any casting. He just summon two dragons, buff them and let them loose while Naberal who stuck in Nabe form trying to whack them to death. The same goes with Momon vs Clementine fight.The actual animation and CG is impressive as well. Sadly the flow is interrupted from all the talking. I suspect the LN may use this fight as another info dump about enchantment, martial art, magic resistance and stuffs. However, anime cut most of them out, perhaps rightly so as Overlord's composition can be pretty lengthy at time. Unfortunately, all that left is useless trash talking. That is not so entertaining if you ask me.
Old 2015-09-03, 11:07   Link #936
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The fights don't serve as "fightining entertainement" whatsoever, and comparing them to FSN or whatnot is just impertinent at best.

Ains is still discovering the world he is in, and after being acquainted with the inhabitants, along with politics and all, it is the very first time he is facing warriors of that world, so he is still in the observation mode.
Even so, the sheer difference between him and them is so large that it would be rather silly to expect a fight on even footing, even moreso when the dominating party is still learning from the others.

If you really expect some flashy fights, it is best to forfeit that idea when Ains and his subordonates are against "simple hero class" enemies from that world.
That said, if the opening is anything to go by, there will be a fight against Shalltear and this should be a proper fight then.
Old 2015-09-03, 11:39   Link #937
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
You have to reconsider "Nabe" and not "Narberal" in such case. Nabe is pretty much a magic caster version of Stronoff. Considering the Skeletal Dragon, there was no way for her to deal with it when it is fully buffed. Any other offensive spells would be pointless, that's why Clementine confidently said there was no way for Nabe to defeat Kajit as a magic caster. In fact, Nabe actually lost because she was stuck in a stalemate against both Skeletal Dragons for a while, and it was just a matter of time she would be really defeated in such case.

Meanwhile, Kajit himself was surprised that a magic caster had enough physical strength to fend off a skeletal dragon, which means "Nabe" specs were already too high. But that's all there is to is: it just means "Nabe" has a lot of strength, but it doesn't mean she can skillfully use a sword to defeat a monster.
Since she is a magic caster, she has the same predicament than Ains had with "Momon": she lacks of skills that could use her physical potential.
As far as it goes "Nabe" is not a magical fencer or adept of 2 classes, therefore, the only thing she can do with a sword is simply wild swings hoping the sheer force would be enough to knock down the dragons, but it is arguably insufficient against buffed dragons.
In such setup, there is no way for her to deal with the skeletal dragon with just sheer force.
Makes me wonder if no hybrid classes exist/or are rare in Yggdrasil. That's pretty much what I thought Narberal would have turned out to be due to having a sword rather than a lesser Ainz. But it would explain why Ainz didn't just ask her for fighting tips if he didn't really know martial arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with heavy dialogue, or rather, heavy taunting. FSN UBW also suffered similar problem (for me at least) in latter part of the series. It's actual animation remain as awesome as ever. However, each sequence lasted only a swing or two, then they stop and talk, swing another time, stop and respond, rinse and repeat. That really disrupt combat flow for me.

Nabe vs Khajit is not really a magic duel either. Khajit didn't really do any casting. He just summon two dragons, buff them and let them loose while Naberal who stuck in Nabe form trying to whack them to death. The same goes with Momon vs Clementine fight.The actual animation and CG is impressive as well. Sadly the flow is interrupted from all the talking. I suspect the LN may use this fight as another info dump about enchantment, martial art, magic resistance and stuffs. However, anime cut most of them out, perhaps rightly so as Overlord's composition can be pretty lengthy at time. Unfortunately, all that left is useless trash talking. That is not so entertaining if you ask me.
I think dialogue definitely slows things down too. But as you kinda of implied it's problem with adaptations in general. If novels are even more talky than the anime then the staff did the best they could here to preserve the material while cutting out couldn't be explained visually. Even if the pace isn't quite ideal.
Old 2015-09-03, 13:04   Link #938
Hmm....

Quote:
The fights don't serve as "fightining entertainement" whatsoever, and comparing them to FSN or whatnot is just impertinent at best.

Ains is still discovering the world he is in, and after being acquainted with the inhabitants, along with politics and all, it is the very first time he is facing warriors of that world, so he is still in the observation mode.
Even so, the sheer difference between him and them is so large that it would be rather silly to expect a fight on even footing, even moreso when the dominating party is still learning from the others.

If you really expect some flashy fights, it is best to forfeit that idea when Ains and his subordonates are against "simple hero class" enemies from that world.
That said, if the opening is anything to go by, there will be a fight against Shalltear and this should be a proper fight then.
I don't think the fight need to be even in order to be "flashy" or "entertaining" though. Sure being even is a plus but even fight can be boring as well. I doubt any "even fight" will be offered in Overlord anyway lol. I will also question whoever think making an unentertaining fight a climax of the arc is a good idea as well. If they gonna make an entire episode out of it, make sure it's entertaining at least. Don't get me wrong, The meat of the fight itself is both flashy and entertaining enough. I just see it as an entertaining 5 minutes content, 15 minutes at most, 25 minutes is a bit too much IMHO.

Momonga are learning about this world in both this fight and the fight in episode 4. The different here is that back in episode 4, we as a viewer also learn new things along with him. So I found dialogue back then more interesting. To be fair, back then Momonga (and us viewer) didn't know he is so OP. So I admit the shock value was also there. Gazeff vs Nigun fight was also genuine and Momonga was being cautious. This time, both him and Nabe are just being arrogant, playing with their prey. Watching mere human talk big in front of supreme being unknowingly of their demise is painful as well. (AKA not entertaining for me )

I compare Overlord to FSN because FSN was trying to be philosophical story, not a simple eye candy fighting anime. I feel it fail in that regard, the only thing that save that series is an awesome visual itself. Yes, I am among those who said Shiro vs Archer duel lasted way too long. Their conversation was not that deep and way too repetitive. It's kinda similar to Overlord this episode.

Quote:
I think dialogue definitely slows things down too. But as you kinda of implied it's problem with adaptations in general. If novels are even more talky than the anime then the staff did the best they could here to preserve the material while cutting out couldn't be explained visually. Even if the pace isn't quite ideal.
Yep, I think staff are doing the best they could as well. With all said and done, I still prefer anime version over LN version (a very rare case for me). I just point out that the pace isn't quite ideal when I feel it isn't. All that mean is I think this arc is worse than last arc and I hope next arc is better. It started off in a more interesting way already.

Actually, no, last arc ended with "we gonna conquer the world for Ainz sama !!" and new arc started with Momonga registered as an adventurer to grind some goblins.
Old 2015-09-03, 13:29   Link #939
Darkligh

Quote:
Makes me wonder if no hybrid classes exist/or are rare in Yggdrasil. That's pretty much what I thought Narberal would have turned out to be due to having a sword rather than a lesser Ainz. But it would explain why Ainz didn't just ask her for fighting tips if he didn't really know martial arts.

Spoiler for Narberal Profile card:

I don't think this counts as a spoiler anymore after this ep so here you go.
Darkligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 13:48   Link #940
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
This time, both him and Nabe are just being arrogant, playing with their prey. Watching mere human talk big in front of supreme being unknowingly of their demise is painful as well. (AKA not entertaining for me )
The trash talk between Nabe and Kajit were the things i liked most. Normally, it's the hero who gets overpowered and badmouthed. Maybe that's why i found it so funny to watch. Nabe calling him "amoeba", "bagworm" and "red click beetle" was so hilarious..lol. And Ainz hugging Clementine to death was also such an eye candy to me. Although the battles were not so flashy and dynamic, seeing those OP moments from them were still very pleasant to watch. Those fights were also more of an info dump than everything else. Ainz Vs Shaltear however, i expect it to be way more dynamic and less talkative. I admit i will be disappointed if that doesn't happens, because Shaltear is not a low level character at all and deserves her spotlight!
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote