Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-05-30, 15:14   Link #941
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Thanks for the hint, I'll buy a poster.

What's the first one though?
Looks like buttons. (The metal kind with the pin on the back?)
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 15:28   Link #942
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
though she probably relates to Kumiko in the way that an artist relates to her muse, rather than the way two lovers would relate to each other
Interesting take on their dynamic. Although, I fail to see why it has to be mutually exclusive. An artist's lover can be their muse just fine. It happens a lot actually.

Interesting thoughts nonetheless.

Now that I think about it, Reina is a sort of muse to Kumiko as well. She's what inspires her to try harder and be more committed.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-05-30 at 16:08.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 16:02   Link #943
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Looks like buttons. (The metal kind with the pin on the back?)
I hope to see Kumiko, which was why I was picking a suitable product to have her sign.
Old 2015-05-30, 18:53   Link #944
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Now that's an interesting theory. Especially given Reina's speech about how she wants to become special, and how she wants to do it by playing trumpet. Perhaps she thought she was hot stuff in middle school. And then Kumiko comes and casually destroys that illusion, by asking if Reina really thought they had a shot at Nationals.
Does Reina then believe that the way she'll know she's truly special is if she can convince someone like Kumiko (blunt, distant, and knows more than she lets on) of that fact? I mean, Reina tells Kumiko that she wants to become someone who is genuinely special, not just someone who thinks they're special. In fact, the two times that she remarks on Kumiko's terrible personality is with respect to what she said in middle school, and when Kumiko shows naked skepticism regarding Reina's quest to become special ... which suggests she's counting on that "terrible" personality to be the arbiter of "specialness," since it's one thing to convince the rabble and the hoi polloi that you are special (and Reina already dismisses their opinion,) but another thing entirely to convince someone you think is beyond their level, like Kumiko.
*Bold emphasis mine.

Interesting and well-wrote theory.

There's one particular point that I definitely think you're correct on. I think that what Kumiko said to Reina in middle school actually was important to Reina, and remembered well by Reina, in contrast to what Episodes 2 and 3 might have lead us to believe.

It now seems likely to me that Reina didn't forget Kumiko, or what Kumiko said to Reina in middle school, but was just sort of playing it cool in the first two or three episodes. Perhaps Reina wanted to see if Kumiko's middle school comments came from a place of conformity (better to act pleased over dud gold than disappointed because acting pleased may come across as more polite), or a place of sincerity. Kumiko's discussion with Reina in Episode 5 likely made it clear to Reina that Kumiko's middle school comments came from a place of sincerity, hence marking Kumiko as a blunt and firmly realistic person in her expectations and assessments. When Reina makes this determination about Kumiko in Episode 5, we see Reina make a "cat that ate the canary" smile, with a definite sense of "I found her!" Then Reina makes a second smile, one very large and blissful, directly to Kumiko herself. This likely showcases a sincere outpouring of joy and pleasure and gratitude over having found someone that Reina thinks will be invaluable to her.

Reina knows, or at least strongly suspects, that she has found a good critic in Kumiko. If you can get pass Kumiko's generally polite veneer, you will get raw and potentially harsh opinions that speak Kumiko's sincere feelings and viewpoints. This is invaluable to Reina, because in a desire to be truly special it is great to have a truly sincere critic to assess Reina and the band that Reina belongs to. As you say, GMT, if Reina can convince Kumiko to Reina's specialness than that will have more value to Reina than just some random person viewing Reina that way, since Kumiko's true self is very blunt and honest.
Old 2015-05-30, 18:59   Link #945
wolfie74
Some say stacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Hmm...kinda looks like a fan-edit LOL.

Here's the real chart from the official site:
http://anime-eupho.com/character/chart/

And here's a translated version from the official english site:
http://anime-eupho.us/character/chart/

Just for anyone's reference of course. Though I'm certain someone has posted this before. If so, sorry for a repost.

-Wolfie

Twitter
https://www.twitter.com/Wolfie_Stickel

"Animators are actors with pencils"
--Glen Keane
wolfie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 19:22   Link #946
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie74 View Post
Hmm...kinda looks like a fan-edit LOL.

Here's the real chart from the official site:
http://anime-eupho.com/character/chart/

And here's a translated version from the official english site:
http://anime-eupho.us/character/chart/

Just for anyone's reference of course. Though I'm certain someone has posted this before. If so, sorry for a repost.

-Wolfie
I hadn't seen it, thanks.

I have to say, if one were to remove the bit between Reina and Kumiko from that chart, the chart would suddenly become rather pointless. It also doesn't even note Kumiko and Aoi as childhood friends, despite them being a trio with Shuuichi; apparently specifying Shuuichi as a childhood friend was relevant, but not Aoi. It doesn't even have other relationships either, like Hazuki being interested in Shuuichi.

All the chart really says is Kumiko and Reina are attracted (the term was more like gravitational pull, right?), and that Kumiko and Shuuichi are, on the other hand, childhood friends. That is looking at it through a certain lens, but the implications are certainly worth noting.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 20:30   Link #947
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Anime adaptations tend to be faithful to their source material, but not always.

KyoAni's own Kyoukai no Kanata diverged significantly from its LN source material, from what I've read on it.

It's fine to consider the Euphonium novel the definitive story and characters, as it is the original story. However, that doesn't mean the anime and its story/characters shouldn't be taken as the anime chooses to present them.

The anime is its own thing, and it may not follow the source material exactly. It may even alter the characters and/or their relationships in considerable ways.

I can understand this being disappointing to source material fans, but anime-only viewers like myself are experiencing the anime on its own merits. If your arguments rely on source material content that has not been shown in the anime, then those arguments should not be on this thread, in my opinion.
Old 2015-05-30, 20:32   Link #948
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

KyoAni's own Kyoukai no Kanata diverged significantly from its LN source material, from what I've read on it.

It's fine to consider the Euphonium novel the definitive story and characters, as it is the original story. However, that doesn't mean the anime and its story/characters shouldn't be taken as the anime chooses to present them.

The anime is its own thing, and may not follow the source material exactly. It may even alter the characters and/or their relationships in considerable ways.

I can understand this being disappointing to source material fans, but anime-only viewers like myself are experiencing the anime on its own merits. If your arguments rely on source material content that has not been shown in the anime, then those arguments should not be on this thread, in my opinion.
Except the anime is following the novel very close, yeah, it has even "yuri bait" for example. It has added extra material for other characters(like Hazuki and Midori) but so far it hasn't changed the direction it's headed to.

That's why I'm not complaining and just chill about it.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 20:40   Link #949
Kazu-kun

Triple_R has a point. Whether the anime stays close to or deviates from the novel, the anime is its own thing, so there's no point in bringing arguments that rely on novel content here.

Besides, it's against the rules.
Old 2015-05-30, 20:52   Link #950
wolfie74
Some say stacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

The anime is its own thing, and it may not follow the source material exactly. It may even alter the characters and/or their relationships in considerable ways.

Agreed. Best to take the wait and see approach since we honestly can't predict what's going to occur next in the anime adaptation.

In the meantime, has anyone been following the official web manga? Or is that discussion considered part of the novel thread? It seems to be following along with the anime so far. Next chapter will be released June 11 for anyone interested.

http://konomanga.jp/manga/euphonium

-Wolfie

Twitter
https://www.twitter.com/Wolfie_Stickel

"Animators are actors with pencils"
--Glen Keane
wolfie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 20:55   Link #951
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie74 View Post
In the meantime, has anyone been following the official web manga? Or is that discussion considered part of the novel thread? It seems to be following along with the anime so far. Next chapter will be released June 11 for anyone interested.

http://konomanga.jp/manga/euphonium

-Wolfie
Manga discussion should go to a thread in the manga forum.
Old 2015-05-30, 23:12   Link #952
Takigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takigan View Post
So we learned two new band member names in this episode (sort of). I've been keeping tabs by building off of this image created my some member of Reddit a few episodes back (no clue if they kept building off it, I wasn't able to find any continuing posts by this user with updated images).

Shuuichi mentioned 2 freshman Trombone players besides him: Fukui & Akamatsu....it's not clear which one is which but I went ahead and marked it down. Still no name on drillbit-hair girl....but hopefully Taki will name off a bunch of names when announcing audition results next episode or something (Again, hopefully)
Spoiler for image:
Just watched episode 8 again. I just realized that after Shuichi asks Kumiko out we're back in the clubroom. Shuichi is talking to a girl and looks on, meeting Kumiko's eye. Kumiko freaks out and makes a run for it. Shuichi interprets this as a "sign" from her that he is supposed to follow her. Right before he leaves though, he turns to the girl and says "Sorry Akamatsu, I gotta go....". That would be the girl in this scene:

Spoiler for .:

So #38 on the roster would be Fukui and #39 would be Akamatsu. Can't believe I didn't catch this until now....also, I'm starting to think more and more that subtly naming off every member of the band here and there until everyone is covered is going to be a running "side quest" for this series for those wanting to follow along with it, and that we will eventually learn all of their names.
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 01:12   Link #953
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
Just watched episode 8 again. I just realized that after Shuichi asks Kumiko out we're back in the clubroom. Shuichi is talking to a girl and looks on, meeting Kumiko's eye. Kumiko freaks out and makes a run for it. Shuichi interprets this as a "sign" from her that he is supposed to follow her. Right before he leaves though, he turns to the girl and says "Sorry Akamatsu, I gotta go....". That would be the girl in this scene:

Spoiler for .:

So #38 on the roster would be Fukui and #39 would be Akamatsu. Can't believe I didn't catch this until now....also, I'm starting to think more and more that subtly naming off every member of the band here and there until everyone is covered is going to be a running "side quest" for this series for those wanting to follow along with it, and that we will eventually learn all of their names.
Thanks, that's really cool! I love when the background characters get this sort of treatment, it really helps to create a world that feels that much more believable and grounded in reality. There was no real need to have Shuuichi name her besides giving the audience that info. "Show don't tell" is always best.

K-ON!'s second season was similar in this respect; all 34 other members of Class 3-2 have names, bios, relationships, voices, and all that.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 02:06   Link #954
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

I do not know, but it seems that most did not pay attention in these parts of the anime.
Clearly where we see the true reaction of each character.
This scene clearly show the feelings of the characters

The anime actually did manage to deliver Reina's crush when she showed how she wouldn't let it slide if anyone were to ridicule Taki-sensei (interrupting the way she did when Shuuichi and Kumiko were talking about him — Episode 4). That was the first time in the anime we saw an expressive Reina
Spoiler:

And when Kumiko put some good words about Taki-sensei (probably because she didn't want to make Reina angry), that was the first time she actually smiled (and perhaps the very moment she decided to become friends with Kumiko; it's a wonderful thing to be friends with someone who thinks highly of the things you like. — Episode 5

Spoiler:

As for Kumiko, most of us decided to ignore the moment when Kumiko was on her toes when Hazuki decided to tell Kumiko that she likes Shuuichi
Spoiler:

Or the moment Kumiko wore a sad expression and tightened her grip on Reina's hand as she allowed Hazuki to take Shuuichi away from her. — Episode 8
Spoiler:
Hidetoshi Nakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 04:05   Link #955
Kamieichi

Quote:
So we learned two new band member names in this episode (sort of). I've been keeping tabs by building off of this image created my some member of Reddit a few episodes back (no clue if they kept building off it, I wasn't able to find any continuing posts by this user with updated images).

Shuuichi mentioned 2 freshman Trombone players besides him: Fukui & Akamatsu....it's not clear which one is which but I went ahead and marked it down. Still no name on drillbit-hair girl....but hopefully Taki will name off a bunch of names when announcing audition results next episode or something (Again, hopefully)
Spoiler for image:
Latest version
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, next episode pics
http://anime-eupho.com/story/09/
Images
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 04:42   Link #956
Takigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamieichi View Post
Latest version
Images
A few questions about this:

1. Did you update this or find it elsewhere?
2. What does the faded parentheses mean?
3. Who did I miss in the percussion section (#32)?

Really wishing I could read kanji.

Last edited by Takigan; 2015-05-31 at 05:43.
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 06:18   Link #957
Kamieichi

Quote:
A few questions about this:

1. Did you update this or find it elsewhere?
2. What does the faded parentheses mean?
3. Who did I miss in the percussion section (#32)?

Really wishing I could read kanji.
1. The latter.
2. It means "Based on the original work"(原作準拠). Those names are not shown in the anime, but only in the novel.
3. When I saw your questions, I also didn't get how to figure out her name at first, so I searched. And I think this scene from episode 5 is the answer.
Images
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 08:05   Link #958
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
If Reina is a guy, then we would all be declaring Hibbike Euphonium to be a Shoujo romance anime set in the backdrop of a Concert Band - and the nickname of Hibike Euphonium is "Kyoani does Shoujo Romance within a Concert Band". Male Reina would be the distant, aloof Bishounen Shoujo protagonist with a brooding demeanor. There will be discussions of what sort of a Shoujo heroine Kumiko represents, and whether Kumiko is a unique take (or subversion) on the idea of a Shoujo Romance heroine, or whether Kumiko really is an unholy cross between Kyoani moeblob pandering and the cliche generic Shoujo heroine, whatever that means.
That’s funny because I’m starting to interpret the whole Kousaka-Kumiko-Shu triangle in the type you usually see in shonen/harem romances. Kumiko is the dense male lead that doesn't get a clue even when it smacks her in the face. Reina is the otherworldly fantasy girl that the dense male lead is captivated with, usually thanks to a “boy meets girl” scenario. And Shu is the unfortunate Girl Next Door/Childhood Friend who is forced to watch his love interest fall for someone else despite him being there first.

I’m just joking but I also agree that Kumiko’s growing relationship with Kousaka is nothing to take lightly. I mean let’s just list all the romantic subtexts KyoAni manages to pull off in just one episode.

1) Kumiko rejects Shu’s offer to go to the festival with him because she’s already going out with Kousaka – Yeah she did just grab the first person she saw at the corner of her eye, but that’s the kind of coincidence that one can’t help but interpret as foreshadowing .

2) The most notable parts of the conversation between Kousaka and Kumiko when they were hiking up the hill is how Kousaka managed to give an erotic impression on Kumiko followed by Kousaka’s outright declaration of love. Now the declaration is anti-climactic enough to consider it lighthearted but Kumiko has way of denying its possibility in the worst way possible.

3) Kousaka declaring that she wasn’t going to be like the other girls before erotically caressing Kumiko’s face with her finger. Do you reckon she was just talking about her trumpet?

4) Kumiko’s “at that moment in time, I wouldn’t have minded dying” line - Remember when Midori says “Love and death are timeless themes of music!” near the beginning of the episode? Now why would Midori randomly mention death when that wasn’t even the topic of the conversation? Coincidence? Of course not. Unless Midori inadvertedly raised a death flag for Kousaka, but I’m pretty sure we’re meant to interpret the theme of death and love linked in Kumiko’s line.

5) It’s established that Venus and Jupiter were the two lights in the sky shot, which has major associations with romance. Coincidence?

6) The music Kumiko and Kousaka played at the end is a love song called "The Place We Found Love".

7) Almost an entire episode devoted to the topic of romance ends on a climactic scene on... friendship?

Now you could look at all these things individually and say that they’re just yuri-baiting but as a collective? Why would they go to this much effort just to yuri-bait? That’s just insane. They’ve put way more effort into this than they have for the relationship between Shu and Kumiko. Now this still doesn’t necessarily mean Kumiko and Kousaka are the OTP. It could very well be that they simply plan to stay at an implied level under the impression that it’s enough to be meaningful in its own right. We see these kind of "girl-friendship" stories before in anime and maybe our western perspective is just making us assume that there now has to be more to the Kousaka-Kumiko relationship when it doesn't. But the point is: whatever they’re trying to say, they mean it and they ain’t playing around.

(Fyi, I personally think Kumiko is going to end up with Shu. Her denials are just too suspicious.)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 08:05   Link #959
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
I do not know, but it seems that most did not pay attention in these parts of the anime.
Clearly where we see the true reaction of each character.
This scene clearly show the feelings of the characters
Nice post.

I, for one, did notice these subtle heterosexual indications. Perhaps most don't notice because they wear their yuri goggles with high expectations of seeing some intense girl-on-girl action.

Quote:
And when Kumiko put some good words about Taki-sensei (probably because she didn't want to make Reina angry), that was the first time she actually smiled (and perhaps the very moment she decided to become friends with Kumiko; it's a wonderful thing to be friends with someone who thinks highly of the things you like. — Episode 5
Sounds very logical, and realistic, to me. Can't wait to see the naysayers try to make a more logical argument to contradict this.

Quote:
As for Kumiko, most of us decided to ignore the moment when Kumiko was on her toes when Hazuki decided to tell Kumiko that she likes Shuuichi
The scenario of the childhood friend who denies liking their friend in that way, but actually does, or hasn't acknowledged those feelings yet, is used so very often that it's hard to interpret this situation as anything else. Makes one wonder if there been no one else declaring interest in Shuuichi, would Kumiko's answer have been, "Yes, I'll go to the festival with you," if even only as friends.

Granted, Kumiko might never see Shuuichi romantically, and, regardless of how she acts towards him now, she could sorely miss the intimate time they spend together as friends were he to get a girlfriend and no longer spend time with her. That could be the cause of the angst she feels about the situation, even though she might not realize it herself.

Quote:
Or the moment Kumiko wore a sad expression and tightened her grip on Reina's hand as she allowed Hazuki to take Shuuichi away from her. — Episode 8
What most also seem to ignore is the fact that it was not specifically Kousaka that Kumiko claimed to be going to festival with but "this kid," the first person to walk through the door at that moment, and who Kumiko did not actually see, but blindly grabbed onto. What a foolish reaction. She's lucky (or not) it was Kousaka and not some other handsome dude that would even further complicate things with Shuuichi.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 08:39   Link #960
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Looks like something else happened on that train...
Images
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra