AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-30, 15:57   Link #941
askara

nice ending but there is still major unexplained plot holes. why not ask the cat to revive Tsukasa?
askara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 17:14   Link #942
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The cat grants wishes in a monkey's paw fashion. It's not a very good idea to wish for something like this. The cat god would probably bring her back as a rotting corpse.
Old 2013-06-30, 17:17   Link #943
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The cat grants wishes in a monkey's paw fashion. It's not a very good idea to wish for something like this. The cat god would probably bring her back as a rotting corpse.
Agreed: Its basically a lighter version of Calypso from Twisted Metal - Every wish somehow screws over the user.
Old 2013-06-30, 17:35   Link #944
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by askara View Post
nice ending but there is still major unexplained plot holes. why not ask the cat to revive Tsukasa?
The cat only grants wishes in unexpected ways. I would imagine it would grant such a wish in the same way as the monkey's paw.

The Good:
* Well animated
* Notably good voice acting.
* OP and ED are cutesy and memorable.
* The backstory is good.

The Bad:
* Imbalance in character roles - this show clearly belongs to Yokodera, the Tsutsukakushi sisters, and the cat god. Azuki Azusa's role is far less than Tsukiko's, and Emi has no role at all after her arc.
* The backstory about the relationships among Yokodera, Tsukiko, and Tsukushi is good, but everything that occurs in the present is not. Things just happen when somebody makes a wish, and things get set back when the wish is canceled. In most stories, the backstory supports the present, but in this show the present exists mostly to uncover the past.
* The cat god's role in both granting and canceling wishes basically makes it a built-in deus ex machina, and so the story proceeds by plot device. Heartseed from Kokoro Connect served the same function, and that show had stronger character growth.

Score: 7.5/10. A fun show to watch, but the story needs more focus on the here and now. The second half was almost entirely about unraveling the past, which by its nature is limited. The ending gave no suggestions about what interesting things will occur in the future or how the story can proceed, other than in a generic harem way.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 19:47   Link #945
takai
Easy Muffin

I think I'm going to give this a 7.5. It was alright, but all this drama sort of spoiled it for me. Left a "bleh" taste in my mouth. I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed unfortunately. I expected more funny than it gave us.

Not sure if season 2 is a possibility, but if it is I'll be sure to watch it. I look forward to it until then.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 21:51   Link #946
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Very sweet episode, Youto is simply awesome for what he did. The trip from the past was nearly perfect, but that kiss was great for Youto and Tsukiko.

Overall this show was strong from start to finish, Idefinitely enjoyed it
Old 2013-06-30, 22:46   Link #947
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Fun show, with some enjoyable feelings, and a lovely "umu" in the kiss scene from Ogura Yui.

But Ishihara Kaori's voice-acting as Azuki Azusa was the most impressive for me. The show just came alive whenever she spoke.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 00:32   Link #948
Forever
Revealing the truth

Erm whatever happened to getting back Tsukiko's emotions? I was actually looking forward to a resolution similar to the ED...

BUt still overall this anime is quite good. A real sleeper hit... I was going to drop it by the second ep. Luckily, I stayed all the way for a nice 7.8/10 anime.
Old 2013-07-01, 02:05   Link #949
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Erm whatever happened to getting back Tsukiko's emotions? I was actually looking forward to a resolution similar to the ED...
She gave those up in episode 4. She may have canceled her wish of not showing emotions, but due to her shaky relationship with her sister, she decided to have Tsukushi have her emotions and handed her the meat bun they were kept in. Since she ate it, there's no way Tsukiko can get her emotions back, and I frankly think she doesn't care anymore, as the subject was never addressed after that.
Old 2013-07-01, 08:02   Link #950
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
She gave those up in episode 4. She may have canceled her wish of not showing emotions, but due to her shaky relationship with her sister, she decided to have Tsukushi have her emotions and handed her the meat bun they were kept in. Since she ate it, there's no way Tsukiko can get her emotions back, and I frankly think she doesn't care anymore, as the subject was never addressed after that.
That's my biggest peeve with this show. The reason for Tsukiko to give up her emotions is flimsy at best. The true reason is because the readers liked the dandere archetype...

Decent show overall but slightly below my expectations. The show was marred by convoluted plot twists (the whole Emi subplot), unrealistic characters (Tsukushi is too stupid to be alive) and too many deus-ex-machina to count.

The best thing was definitely Kantoku's character design. Also props to Yui Ogura for her perfect rendition of Tsukiko, which reminded me of her role in Saki Achiga-hen.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 09:24   Link #951
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But Ishihara Kaori's voice-acting as Azuki Azusa was the most impressive for me. The show just came alive whenever she spoke.
I feel the same way about Yui Ogura. She was fantastic as Tsukiko. Yukari Tamura was also great, but that was to be expected from a veteran like her.
Old 2013-07-01, 09:34   Link #952
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Uh, didn't Tsukiko make a big stink about Yokodera no longer having reason to spend time with her if she got her emotions back after she gave the meat bun to steel king? Hell, I thought he made a promise to give her her emotions back after resolving her issues with her big sis. It seems like she still wanted to get them back, but the show dropped it after Yokodera lost his house.

Also, I don't think she likes being emotionless: She has a job in a daycare and she's a volunteer, which makes her lack of expressions very much a liability since she can't exactly be a caretaker who bonds with the kids easy if she has the emotional syntax of a rock. Overall, it feels like it got dropped abruptly.
Old 2013-07-01, 09:50   Link #953
novalysis

I actually wonder - does much of the Steel King's revealed and openly expressed stupidity actually comes from eating that meat buns? Before that point, the Steel King appeared to be much better at hiding it.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 10:58   Link #954
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

I'm pretty sure canceling the wish would get her emotions back... Was just what I thought.
Old 2013-07-01, 10:59   Link #955
Diveman

So we don't know "who" got Tsukiko's emotions after all?
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 11:04   Link #956
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveman View Post
So we don't know "who" got Tsukiko's emotions after all?
The statue did, then gave them back. She then gave them to her sister. If she canceled the wish, she'd likely get them back, BUT that would also mean ripping those emotions from her sister. Since she gave them to her in the first place, it's likely she would prefer the way things are now rather than before.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 11:48   Link #957
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I think that's something future novels will get to. I mean, the past has everything explained from something as big as how Yokodera lost his memories, to the little things like Tsukushi's obssession with Tsukiko (I will do anything to have more time with mom... like even doting on my little sister).

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the main reason why Tsukiko is so adamant right now on keeping her expressionless face is because of younger Yokodera's remark about him hating crybabies. Which of course I expect for the novels to deal with one way or another in future, but considering the title IS "Hentai Prince and the Stone-faced Cat" (ie. Yokodera and Tsukushi), I doubt they'll resolve Tsukiko's 'problem' until the very last novel when it ends.

And it's not even just that. It's still not explained how Yokodera went out of touch with the Tsukukakushi family that they became a memory and thus he forgot them, nor does it not explain how Steel King did not remember Yokodera from the get go. I have a feeling that they had a falling out or something (maybe some time after Tsukasa died, the sisters got angry with Yokodera forgetting Tsukasa because they didn't fully understand his deal with the Cat God? Which in turn made him forget about the sisters? I dunno, speculation), but for now that's a mystery.

But you know what? It really doesn't matter much to me that they have left these loos threads, at least for the anime. It has a decent enough conclusion that while it leaves the possibility of a sequel because of the loose threads, it gives you enough resolution that doesn't leave you hanging.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 13:27   Link #958
Breimoon

i want to read some spoilers on next vs. Someone knows where to go?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 17:56   Link #959
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I think that's something future novels will get to. I mean, the past has everything explained from something as big as how Yokodera lost his memories, to the little things like Tsukushi's obssession with Tsukiko (I will do anything to have more time with mom... like even doting on my little sister).

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the main reason why Tsukiko is so adamant right now on keeping her expressionless face is because of younger Yokodera's remark about him hating crybabies. Which of course I expect for the novels to deal with one way or another in future, but considering the title IS "Hentai Prince and the Stone-faced Cat" (ie. Yokodera and Tsukushi), I doubt they'll resolve Tsukiko's 'problem' until the very last novel when it ends.
Huh? I always though that title refers to the Stoney Cat as the Nekokami, but got to admit your interpretation also make sense in some way.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 18:33   Link #960
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Huh? I always though that title refers to the Stoney Cat as the Nekokami, but got to admit your interpretation also make sense in some way.
"Hentai Ōji to Warawanai Neko" . Babylon translation translates "笑わない猫" to "don't laugh at cats". Which is kind of hilarious in a few contexts.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, romantic comedy, seinen, supernatural, tsundere