AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-03-23, 12:30   Link #941
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Mmm, stealth is playing a much lesser role in this game than even BW.

Don't forgot Ghosts can 1-shot every Zerg ground unit except for Queens (leaves her with 10 HP left) and Ultralisks.

Infestor really shouldn't be a problem, even with moving while burrowed, considering Terran has the building that reveals everything in a radius on the minimap, including burrowed units.

Protoss DT might be a problem, but so far, it looks like they're basically going to be playing second fiddle to Zealots 99% of the games you play.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 23:24   Link #942
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Zealots: Cheap, fast, durable.
DTs: Expensive, slow, weak.

Yes, DTs can cause massive damage if you distract an opponent with some huge frontal attack (yes, meaning you use your army which is on numerous degrees larger than your DT attack force), but other than that and DT/sair stuff...GL HF. Terran Comsat means DT=worthless.
Old 2008-03-28, 08:06   Link #943
brocko

New Q&A Batch (33rd) from Karune along with some extra screenshot goodies from Taiwan
http://www.sclegacy.com/showthread.php?t=110

All I'll say is that I'm liking the new Ghosts passive ability to detect spell-casters, if balance becomes an issue then they'll probably nerf this as an upgrade or something...
The zealot model up close however gets a big fat no from me , yes i know it's not yet final, but i just outright dislike it, maybe if it had eyes then it wouldn't have looked as bad, i dunno.
Also the Overload/Overseer should still be given it's transport abilities unless Blizzard manages to come up with some retarded explanation as to how the Nydus Worm is able to travel through empty space.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 13:42   Link #944
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
160 HP and 8 damage at level 1. It just has a *shitload* of abilities, from building mini photons to shriekers that increase the range of that auto defense to everywhere within the radius of the shrieker's aoe. It can extend your creep, and it can turn creep toxic to deal damage to units stand on it. It can turn any which one of your buildings into a defensive structure and can heal buildings. And it can tunnel to other bases (but it has a huge CD)

And no, tentacles are BAD. Plus, Kerrigan has no tentacles. She has blades. As for the SC novels, they're excellent, EXCEPT for Queen of Blades. It comes into so many conflicts with the 2nd campaign and parts of the third that it's completely inane.

Uprising is excellent. Interestingly, the "Starcraft Archive", which is Liberty's Crusade/Shadows of the XelNaga/Speed of Darkness actually chronologically goes:

Speed of Darkness (ends at the 3rd terran mission...the one in which you have to hold out for 30 minutes), then Liberty's Crusade (novelization of the entire terran original campaign), then Shadows of Xel Naga (intermission between SC and BW)

The DT saga is great though...

Too bad Glynnis Talken isn't writing in the SC universe (aka Kerrigan herself =P)

That said, there is a little clip of Glynnis Talken doing all of her voiceovers, and her real voice sounds a HECK OF A LOT like regrrular Keigan. (Even more of a reason to uninfest her)
The novels are canon aren't they?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 05:09   Link #945
brocko

I know we're not suppose to post April Fools Jokes here on the boards, but this one by Blizzard is just waaaay too humourous not to post

Ladies and Gentlemens i present to you by Blizzard Entertainment, the Tauren Marine! lolwut?
http://www.starcraft2.com/features/t...urenmarine.xml
Woots for Cow Level and the "action moovie" I hope it makes it in the campaign editor somewhere, that'd be a total blast!

--------------

And on a side-note, Starcraft was also coincidentally released on April 1st, which makes today, it's 10th anniversary! To celebrate, Blizzard's making a Photo Mosaic using photos submitted in by fans
http://www.blizzard.com/us/inblizz/contests/ilovesc/#

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2008-04-01 at 06:15.
Old 2008-04-01, 13:36   Link #946
Papaya
Sup

Awesome. It's about as cool as the Orc Firebat in Warcraft III. Hopefully they'll include some other homages to Warcraft and Diablo in Starcraft. Mapmakers had a blast with the Hydralisk, Zergling, and Marine models in Warcraft III.
Old 2008-04-01, 14:30   Link #947
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I am hoping they will make the Tauren Marine available for Multiplayer use.
Old 2008-04-01, 15:25   Link #948
IHaveCrayons

I haven't even mastered Starcraft yet how can I master Starcraft 2?
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 15:30   Link #949
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Awesome. It's about as cool as the Orc Firebat in Warcraft III. Hopefully they'll include some other homages to Warcraft and Diablo in Starcraft. Mapmakers had a blast with the Hydralisk, Zergling, and Marine models in Warcraft III.
"There is a cow"

Maybe they'll be a cheat that'll turn all of your marines into taurens if they are willing to go that far.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 17:41   Link #950
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
Try playing with friends on lan. Find some buds who are into it as much as you then play play play. You should eventually shake off your naive strategies etc. Net works too, it's just that you may just get your arse kicked so much you may not learn anything.
Old 2008-04-01, 19:57   Link #951
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
There's actually a lot of debate right now about whether SC2 will be on par with SC1 in terms of possible skill.

SC1 had a huge gap between pros and good players in that there were just so many barriers. For example, you couldn't hotkey multiple buildings together, you had a very limited selection (12 units I believe), and you certainly couldn't do advanced patrol points, queues, etc. Moreover, gameplay has evolved to so high a level that even bugs are being exploited for maximum effect (see Muta stacking).

And if you think micro doesn't matter, check this video out. I don't know if it's been posted here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJ5jGCtTYA

That's Nada, a Korean pro player who makes over US $1mil annually based on salary alone (so, not including tourney winnings), I believe.

SC2 is going to do away with a lot of the old user interface "woes", but with that, will also remove a large part of the skill barrier. Hopefully we'll see all those unused APM go to micro, though!
Old 2008-04-01, 20:22   Link #952
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Unlimited control groups may go away. Even if they don't control groups will still be limited, unless they're stupid enough to allow something like multi-digit control groups. (eg. Ctrl+{numbers} to set Alt+{numbers} to select) I'm also very doubtful that even with little extra functionality, just applying old school know-how doesn't work better. As I see it, some annoyances for newbie and intermediary players have been fixed but el33t players could still do it better.

I understand all the fears but I personally don't want to see the game go to the stoneage because of them.
In SC1 drones go to the one mineral crystal, is that normal? no, it's unrealistic and stupid behavior.

I'm sure blizzard is considerate about these changes, it may be that they're not tuned to be ideal as is, so that input from the player boosts productivity, or that's how it should be.
Old 2008-04-01, 20:41   Link #953
brocko

I think what Blizzard should probably do is just create two different interfaces/game modes entirely. One is for the hardcore and pro-gamers who prefer to play with the old interface/gameplay mode, while the other can be the new 'user-friendly and simpler' version. This way you satisfy both parties, but something tells it's not a very plausible idea though, or else it would've been implemented in other such games already...

Last edited by brocko; 2008-04-01 at 20:53.
Old 2008-04-01, 20:45   Link #954
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The old players who were the masters of the old interface are going to whine about the new interface no matter what, until they master it. Nobody likes to work their way to being the best at something, only to suddenly find themselves being beaten by newer players. I'm sure that the new interface will have aspects that will distinguish the better players from the less skilled players, too. It'll become apparent in time.
Old 2008-04-01, 21:04   Link #955
brocko

What i was thinking was something along the ideas of the creator creates a game and as a creator s/he gets to choose which interface is used. Anyone who joins that game automatically uses the same chosen interface for level playing fields. That way you can still have the pros playing really competitive high-skill leveled Starcraft on the old interface whilst the more casual players can have a bit more fun on the new less demanding interface.

The skill difference between a pro and an amateur i think largely depends on experience and judgement. Any amateur can train to play as fast as the pro-gamers do, but the thing that sets the two apart imo is the ability to react and counteract instantly and instinctively. In a recent interview Korean pro-gamer Sea said the same thing too.
http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmess...page=1#cutnews
Quote:
-When playing you seem to be the type to make firm decisions, were there times when you had a hard time trusting your judgement?

I don't make decisions when I play. Before I can make a decision/judgement I think my hands will already have moved. But when I rewatch a match I can make resolute judgements.
My decisions are the result of tons of games and my personal know how. It's something only I possess. People say progamers' skill level is getting higher and equalizing and maybe you can get on the same level when it comes to resource management and builds, but your ability to make judgements is the skill that distinguishes the players.

Old 2008-04-02, 00:29   Link #956
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

And so what sense would it make to take away from the judgment and replace it with APM?
Old 2008-04-02, 05:05   Link #957
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
And so what sense would it make to take away from the judgment and replace it with APM?
The moral is: good judgment is earned through experience.
Why do you think people train or learn stuff in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I don't really like those people who just play for winning...
So you play with the intent to loose then? How is losing having fun.
It's anoying for the other person you know when he's trying and you're not.
Old 2008-04-02, 08:06   Link #958
Papaya
Sup

Shrug, I'm an admitted "3V3 SHARED BASES NR20" player back in the Starcraft days. That, and I was a Lurker Defense PRO.
Old 2008-04-02, 15:25   Link #959
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
I play to win but I wouldn't play it if Starcraft wasn't fun.

Simple.
Also, winning is fun. I don't really get joy of playing a boring 2 hour game and letting my opponent get a chance to rebuild/win. It just takes out the fun if you don't play seriously.
That's my opinion, but we all have different playing styles.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 17:03   Link #960
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I am hoping they will make the Tauren Marine available for Multiplayer use.
It's probably a unit in the editor, like the Space Fel Orcs in Warcraft III
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows