AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2019-04-07, 17:00   Link #9701
Lucidrago

In your personal opinion, who do you guys think is the best written character in the series so far?
Lucidrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 20:17   Link #9702
Rayzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidrago View Post
In your personal opinion, who do you guys think is the best written character in the series so far?
In my opinion there is a number of great written characters. Xenovia, Rias, Asia, Vali and Issei.
Rayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 00:41   Link #9703
OmegaWeaponZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidrago View Post
The four first girls (Rias, Asia, Akeno, Koneko), Issei, Vali, Kiba, Gyasuke and Azazel.

Consistent characterization. Very few moments that seemed out of character. Fleshed out back stories (bar perhaps Azazel).

As much as I like the other girls (Xenovia, Irina and Rossweisse), it felt like they were excluded from the main plot for a time (until around v12). I must emphasize though that its only by a little that I wouldn't consider them one of the best written.

Overall, I believe DxD is one of the better stories in terms of characterization, even more so when you consider the large cast, and that more than just a few has been fleshed out even if they weren't main characters (such as Sairaog and Saji).

On another note, I must say I like how Ishibumi has 'titles' of sort when a chapter revolves around one of the other males.

To explain further:
Life(Issei)
Knight(KIba)
Power(Sairoag)
Technique(Cao Cao)
Line(Saji)
Slash(Tobia)
Lucifer(Vali)

Perhaps I may have missed the one for Gyasuke.
Old 2019-04-08, 07:29   Link #9704
TheWu8128
Hero In Training

I like how Asia was written also how Akeno was written probably why the are in my top 3 favorite girls. But honestly I think most of the main characters are well written. With over 30 volumes its kind of hard to not have well written characters

@OmegaWeaponZ I agree I always thought that was a nice touch
TheWu8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 00:37   Link #9705
OmegaWeaponZ

For arguments sake, if additional Longinus were to be added to the series, what would you guys like to see be added? Extra points for the most chuni name you can come up with
Old 2019-04-10, 12:19   Link #9706
Lucidrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaWeaponZ View Post
For arguments sake, if additional Longinus were to be added to the series, what would you guys like to see be added? Extra points for the most chuni name you can come up with
Imperial Hegemonia- A Longinus that can allow the possessor to put anything and anyone under their control. When under the possessors control, the possessor has full dominance over the object or person it controls. But to place something or someone under their control, they have to understand the properties of whoever or whatever their controlling.

Let's hope this ability isn't Alphecca Tyrant's.
Old 2019-04-11, 14:44   Link #9707
Rayzer

After reading DX4, I can't help but notice Issei's statement of him needing to train much harder so that he doesn't lose to geniuses like Vali, Kiba, and Cao Cao. You would think that with Issei's current body as well as having a Longinus, he shouldn't have to worry about that but you see people who have less potential than he does grow at a faster rate than him which is weird consider we constantly see those with greater potential have a faster growth rate like Vali. Even Ingvild shown incredible growth rate.

Now I know people will say he grew to god class in just a year but I'm referring to after volume 11 when he got his new body. He doesn't unlock any new abilities his new body grants him except for DxD and even that form needed an outside party to help unlock (Ophis). And on top of that he has to nerf just so he can handle it. It just seems like weird that despite Issei having what can be consider she best base his natural growth rate is still slow just like it was before he got his new body.
Old 2019-04-11, 15:12   Link #9708
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzer View Post
After reading DX4, I can't help but notice Issei's statement of him needing to train much harder so that he doesn't lose to geniuses like Vali, Kiba, and Cao Cao. You would think that with Issei's current body as well as having a Longinus, he shouldn't have to worry about that but you see people who have less potential than he does grow at a faster rate than him which is weird consider we constantly see those with greater potential have a faster growth rate like Vali. Even Ingvild shown incredible growth rate.

Now I know people will say he grew to god class in just a year but I'm referring to after volume 11 when he got his new body. He doesn't unlock any new abilities his new body grants him except for DxD and even that form needed an outside party to help unlock (Ophis). And on top of that he has to nerf just so he can handle it. It just seems like weird that despite Issei having what can be consider she best base his natural growth rate is still slow just like it was before he got his new body.
Ddraig literally says despite his new body his base is still utter shite

And he unlocked a number of other power-ups since then, like the wyverns, penetrate, and the flames. He didnt unlock anything to do with his new body because it's the Power of Infinity (and maybe GR's as well). Nobody can handle that stuff.
Old 2019-04-11, 15:30   Link #9709
Blazor 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Ddraig literally says despite his new body his base is still utter shite

And he unlocked a number of other power-ups since then, like the wyverns, penetrate, and the flames. He didnt unlock anything to do with his new body because it's the Power of Infinity (and maybe GR's as well). Nobody can handle that stuff.
I can see where @Lord Kai is coming from. Just as you pointed out. Issei's base is still crap despite his new body. Wyverns, Penetrate and Flames are abilities from the Booster Gear but It's nothing his new body granted. And his growth rate is slow. For example, Vali was able to learn Norse magic in no time in volume 7 and in Shin Volume 2, it was noted that Ingvild was quickly able to learn demonic power and magic at an incredible rate.

I think what Lord Kai is saying is Issei is granted no new abilities related to Great Red or Ophis. You can say DxD but that's a transformation that he has to nerf that form.
Blazor 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-11, 16:07   Link #9710
Sekiryuu12
God Member

Maybe when he awaken his power over dreams and illusions(his body) he will be able to use it as easy as breathing?

Ha! Who i'm trying to deceive. something like this is never going to happen...
Sekiryuu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-11, 17:32   Link #9711
Rayzer

Also I've noticed something else.

Issei is always nerfed against friends but is yet suppose to be seen as a badass againist Enemies

Beats Kuroka - Weaker then Kiba

Beats Sairaorg- Aint shit to Vali

Beats Cao Cao - is still even weaker then Vali

Defeats Barakiel - Saji puts up a fight against him

Defeats Ragnarok Vidar- Struggles and gets outspeed by Kiba.
Old 2019-04-11, 17:43   Link #9712
fan

@Rayzer that is not nerfing issei everyone is catching up to issei in their own way so issei isn't nerfed in those fights he just stop growing for now
fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-11, 17:48   Link #9713
Parry999

Quote:

Issei is always nerfed against friends but is yet suppose to be seen as a badass againist Enemies

Who says volume 5 Kiba was above BxB Issei then? Vali wasn't a friend yet in any of the points you mentioned. Plus he was already satan class by being able to control JD from jump street. Kiba has a Durandal dragon slayer sword in Gram and didn't require issei to use everything to beat him.
Parry999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-11, 18:50   Link #9714
XFire
150% done

Quote:

He's stronger than Kiba, humiliated Vali in their one fight, and beat down Saji. He's never actually lost against any of them.
Old 2019-04-11, 19:05   Link #9715
Rayzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parry999 View Post
Who says volume 5 Kiba was above BxB Issei then? Vali wasn't a friend yet in any of the points you mentioned. Plus he was already satan class by being able to control JD from jump street. Kiba has a Durandal dragon slayer sword in Gram and didn't require issei to use everything to beat him.
Issei admitted that Kiba was the stronger than him in volume 5. Just making a point about Vali. Also Issei needed his strongest form to fight Kiba in Shin Volume 2.

@Xfire Issei beat chief god class fighter equipped with a Dragon King and yet he struggles against Kiba? Vali went easy on him in their fight in volume 4. Issei was on the brink of losing since he nearly blackout. That's missing the point.
Old 2019-04-11, 19:09   Link #9716
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Issei admitted that Kiba was the stronger than him in volume 5. Just making a point about Vali. Also Issei needed his strongest form to fight Kiba in Shin Volume 2.

@Xfire Issei beat chief god class fighter equipped with a Dragon King and yet he struggles against Kiba? Vali went easy on him in their fight in volume 4. Issei was on the brink of losing since he nearly blackout. That's missing the point.
"Struggles". He took a single wound. It's an impressive feat for Kiba since even Gods struggle to harm Issei in DxD but it was not a close fight.

And the only way Vali "held back" was not using the form that drains him in minutes...while he was surrounded by the Big Three Mythologies. Who absolutely would have iced his ass if he'd gone JD in the human world.
Old 2019-04-11, 19:50   Link #9717
Rayzer

Quote:
"Struggles". He took a single wound. It's an impressive feat for Kiba since even Gods struggle to harm Issei in DxD but it was not a close fight.

And the only way Vali "held back" was not using the form that drains him in minutes...while he was surrounded by the Big Three Mythologies. Who absolutely would have iced his ass if he'd gone JD in the human world.
He did struggle. Issei couldn't even track Kiba's movements due to how fast he was and was battering Issei. Also it was noted that Issei felt intense pain from every strike Kiba hit him with and this was before he pierced Issei's armor. Hell I could say Balor Rias was more challenging than Kiba due to the very limited options Issei had against her.

We clearly saw that the moment Vali left, Issei was forced out of BxB due to being exhausted so Vali didn't even need to use JD. As for the other 3 factions being there. They didn't do anything when Vali was revealed to be a traitor and this was before he fought Issei.
Old 2019-04-12, 12:24   Link #9718
Blazor 98

Quote:
He did struggle. Issei couldn't even track Kiba's movements due to how fast he was and was battering Issei. Also it was noted that Issei felt intense pain from every strike Kiba hit him with and this was before he pierced Issei's armor. Hell I could say Balor Rias was more challenging than Kiba due to the very limited options Issei had against her.

We clearly saw that the moment Vali left, Issei was forced out of BxB due to being exhausted so Vali didn't even need to use JD. As for the other 3 factions being there. They didn't do anything when Vali was revealed to be a traitor and this was before he fought Issei.
I would argue Kiba was more challenging than Balor Rias. Issei could still use his perverted techniques which always gives him the edge against female opponents.
Blazor 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 13:21   Link #9719
XFire
150% done

Quote:
That's not struggling. Struggling would be his fist fight with Sairong or battle with Cao Cao. He was never in any danger against Kiba.

Quote:
Vali was in the dirt bleeding while his companions told him they needed to leave.

They didn't do anything because they wanted Issei to fight him and he didn't need any help.
Old 2019-04-12, 13:48   Link #9720
Lucidrago

Quote:
That's not struggling. Struggling would be his fist fight with Sairong or battle with Cao Cao. He was never in any danger against Kiba.

Vali was in the dirt bleeding while his companions told him they needed to leave.

They didn't do anything because they wanted Issei to fight him and he didn't need any help.
You sure we're reading the same High School DxD because my recollection of that moment is different.

Issei temporarily overwhelmed Vali. But it was nothing like you're describing. Vali was knocked to the ground but then got right back up after Bikou arrived.

You act like Vali was losing the fight when he really wasn't. You tend to overexaggerate things like this a lot.

Issei was well-matchec against Vali because he had Ascalon and Vali wasn't really taking him seriously. Azazel even said it himself.

It looked like Vali was going Juggernaut Drive out of respect for Issei's strength and getting fired up rather than him actually needing it to defeat Issei.

Well they didn't do anything because Sirzechs and Michael were maintaining the barrier around the school building. Azazel had lost his arm and had basically used his trump card in his fight against Katarea. And Serafall and Grayfia were doing nothing for whatever reason. Maybe they know not to interrupt a fight. If Vali had taken the fight very seriously(he seemed he was half-serious the entire time until he seemed to be so fired up that he was going to use Juggernaut Drive).