AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 05:02   Link #961
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Haha, the WBC predictions on the show is pretty horrible. America couldn't even save itself with the 'flashy' attacks in real life and the Dominicans and Venezuelan teams were a bit of a sorry sight in real life. It seems the mangaka went straight with the predicted rankings too much by the book. Who knew the 'lowly' South Korean team would become their mortal enemies all the way to the finals, where they only won with a few crucial plays?

And it sorta kills the suspense now because Japan won the thing twice. I can't buy it from the show putting Japan as an underdog of sorts. That sort of makes me chuckle considering how haphazard many American 'allstar' teams are nowadays. Without tactics, strategy or teamwork. Even minor-league teams that hung on together for months are more dangerous.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 23:12   Link #962
retracnosna

only watched up to 111 or 112 but felt like venting about something that bugs me

does whoever writes this not realize putting sato and mayamura on the national team makes Shigano's appearance completely underwhelming?

also ruins the vibe of challenging the majors. At first it seemed pretty special. Like he was the only guy from his agegroup in Japan that was good enough to. Turns out he's pretty ordinary

also, he's a terrible boyfriend. And he should get a haircut

there. Finished
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 15:59   Link #963
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retracnosna View Post
also ruins the vibe of challenging the majors. At first it seemed pretty special. Like he was the only guy from his agegroup in Japan that was good enough to. Turns out he's pretty ordinary
He's what? 19?20? and playing for his country....of a team of 26? hardly something to call ordinary lol.
FireDetei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 22:44   Link #964
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

While I was in Japan, I picked up the manga of the "Major: Dramatic Baseball Movie", since I figured that was the only look I was going to get at it for many months. Unfortunately I don't read a lick of Japanese, but I've tried tp piece together the plot as best I could:

Goro is somewhere around 11 or 12, older than S1

Goro's still throwing with his right arm

Somehow he ends up playing against his old buddies from Mifune

Shimizu turns out to be some sort of mahou shoujo with superpowers

In the middle of the climactic game Eva-01 lands on the middle of the field, Shinki Ikari steps out, calls Goro safe at the plate, then bursts into tears

Taiga from Toradora shows up and acts like the most annoying person in the world

Komori confesses to Goro

Goro signs a contract with Japan's top middle-school that pays him 500,000 yen for every out he records, but he has to pay 1 million yen for every out he gives up

Shin ends up with Hiromi and half the audience is suicidal

Of course, most of that is really just a guess...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 15:53   Link #965
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

While looking for episode summaries for the raw episodes, I have found an interesting site. If you would like to read the large summaries (more like scripts actually) of the unsubbed episodes, check here. Let's hope no one will try to steal those to (anger the poster and) come up with their own fansubbed version.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 23:12   Link #966
mit7059

Yay 113 is subbed! Though am I the only one who is getting tired of the constant racial stereotyping? Back in season 4 it was the racist white guy. Now in Season Five it's the racist Venezuelans and the Japanese making statements like 'Latin players might play crudely but they've got amazing athleticism and reaction times." If this stuff got aired in the United States there would be hell to pay.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 02:19   Link #967
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
If this stuff got aired in the United States there would be hell to pay.
Thank God not the whole world is paranoid/overly sensitive like that, right?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 04:14   Link #968
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

As far as the whole 'Venezuelans getting by with physical attributes rather than sheer discipline', isn't that really an established fact? No offense meant, but Asian teams like Korea and Japan usually aren't physically imposing, but use their discipline and mindgames more than just brutishly forcing the game in their favor like many American and Latin American nations' players do. Again, no real offense meant to how the way Americans do it. It's just that players really are more physical over here. And isn't it factually true that many Japanese people (including athletes) are of smaller stature and build? I don't see that as anything racist in nature.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 16:46   Link #969
mit7059

It's not an established fact and its also not what I was referring too. Generally when you call a baseball player 'athletic' you're calling them fast. Footspeed has nothing to do with where you come from, look at Ichiro. But my biggest issue was not what they were saying but the fact that they were saying it at all. Using a blatantly racist character is a cheap and lazy way to introduce drama into a confrontation, I'm more upset that the writers behind Major couldn't come up with a better storyline especially because they already used the racist character in season 4. Plus I also find it stupid that they would try to play themselves off as underdogs who no one expects anything out of. Thats ridiculous, no one underestimates Japan, they've won BOTH WBCs. I'm just frustrated because Major is getting a little stale to me, I wish they could make it a little deeper, God I've been spoiled by Oofuri and Cross Game.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 21:27   Link #970
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Why isn't Goro's little brother watching his games on TV? Seems like a strange oversight.
Old 2009-05-16, 00:58   Link #971
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Why isn't Goro's little brother watching his games on TV? Seems like a strange oversight.
They actually explain why in a few more episodes down the line
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 01:15   Link #972
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Huh - thanks. I wonder - boarding school? Baseball camp? Jealousy?
Old 2009-06-04, 08:31   Link #973
Archaic

Quote:
Huh - thanks. I wonder - boarding school? Baseball camp? Jealousy?
IIRC...

Spoiler:
Archaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 13:37   Link #974
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just out of curiosity anyone else found Major's depiction of the MLB Minor League system to be completely wrong. I know storytelling gets a lot of leeway in relation to reality but it seems as the mangaka never even made any research into the minor league system and young players are handle.
Old 2009-06-04, 14:27   Link #975
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For a Japanese series, I actually thought they did a somewhat OK job of depicting the minors. Can you give me some specific examples that bothered you?
Old 2009-06-04, 15:07   Link #976
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
For a Japanese series, I actually thought they did a somewhat OK job of depicting the minors. Can you give me some specific examples that bothered you?
1. Goro with a 95 mile fastball didn't need to go to the US to do tryouts. All he had to do contact a Sports Agent. The agent would have arrange to have scouts come to Japan to watch him pitch. After showing off a 95 fastball with control he would have scouts pounding down his door with million dollar offers.

2. No GM in the MLB, not even the worst in history would have release Goro because the major league team just sign a japanese player. 18 yr old propsect with a 95 mile fastball don't drop off trees. If a GM (general manager) did that he would be run out of town.

3. You don't sign with a minor league team unless it is the Independent league. You sign with major league parent club who assign you to one of their minor league affilates.

4. No body jumps form High school to the Major, the last guy who tried that was in the 70s. He blew out his arm became a part of baseball's what might have been. Goro would have most likely started in High-A. He would have been taught to throw a breaking ball (changeup, cruve, sinker).Once he master High-A he would be promted to AA then to AAA. He would stay in each level for at least a yr, unless he show he has command all 3 three of his pitches. Which case he might skip AAA and go straight form AA to the Majors.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:44   Link #977
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, I know all about David Clyde and his tragic story - but in Japan, guys do jump from HS to their "majors" and remember, this is for a Japanese audience. I don't factually disagree with most of your points but in general, I think they're acceptable dramatic license. Considering the system is so different in Japan, I'm impressed they got more things right than wrong.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:06   Link #978
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Yes, I know all about David Clyde and his tragic story - but in Japan, guys do jump from HS to their "majors" and remember, this is for a Japanese audience. I don't factually disagree with most of your points but in general, I think they're acceptable dramatic license. Considering the system is so different in Japan, I'm impressed they got more things right than wrong.
i give a lot leeway for dramatic licensing but it should at least be somewhat ground in reality. If GM in real life did all that with Goro, you could hear the team msg board on espn go up in flames.

And again players rarely go straight form college to the Majors, form high school to the major even as a reliver would never even enter a GM's mind. Also Scott boras should be beating down his door looking to sign him up, his step dad should have contacted a agent for him.
Old 2009-06-05, 08:14   Link #979
Nescire

Send a message via ICQ to Nescire
Yeah really this unrealistic baseball minor leaghue system is totally messing up the show
I assume you saw all episodes so far and now you are complaining about that it is unrealistic? Isn't that a bit late? And on the otherhand, who said that it isn't a fictiv system? Just because they call it Major League it doesn't have to be everything like you know it. If you want to complain about unrealistic content, ask yourself why everybody can speak japanese in the show
Nescire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 15:02   Link #980
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nescire View Post
Yeah really this unrealistic baseball minor leaghue system is totally messing up the show
I assume you saw all episodes so far and now you are complaining about that it is unrealistic? Isn't that a bit late? And on the otherhand, who said that it isn't a fictiv system? Just because they call it Major League it doesn't have to be everything like you know it. If you want to complain about unrealistic content, ask yourself why everybody can speak japanese in the show
i didn't watch the anime, i read the manga.

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports