AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-07-05, 19:14   Link #961
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Damn! Been busy...

The artwork..graphics.. whatever you call it looked like anime such as Ghost in the Shell or Darker than Black.

It would have been pleasing to the eye if it was like Samurai X , Full Metal Pnaic, etc.

Btw, I saw the main guy in Gundam 00 and the word ' Seiya? ' popped up in my head!
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 08:52   Link #962
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Is it possible that most of the explosions are from an explosion in the fuel line? I've never heard of helium being very flammable, but with enough compressed helium-3 to keep a suit running for half an hour or so, it's possible that it could ignite after getting hit by a beam, causing the explosion.
As a noble gas, helium doesn't combust at all, so it can't be the reason for engines to explode violently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
I will guess that if a beam hits the reactor, but doesn't hit one of the magnets that create the containment field, it will enter the reaction chamber, and the extra pressure and energy from the beam will push the fusion reaction to a higher level, and release more energy than the reactor can contain.
For fusion reactors, power is produced at a steady rate, and any damage to the equipment can only decrease this rate, not increase it. Fission reactors can go critical, and end up building energy much faster than under controlled circumstances, but this takes a fair amount of time to do, and they're still not that likely to go up in massive explosions. Realistically, the most likely kind of explosion associated with nuclear reactors would be a steam explosion, but that's not going to be all that powerful, and it certainly wouldn't be of any use in military demolition.
Old 2009-07-08, 00:39   Link #963
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
As a noble gas, helium doesn't combust at all, so it can't be the reason for engines to explode violently.
Well, there goes that theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
For fusion reactors, power is produced at a steady rate, and any damage to the equipment can only decrease this rate, not increase it. Fission reactors can go critical, and end up building energy much faster than under controlled circumstances, but this takes a fair amount of time to do, and they're still not that likely to go up in massive explosions. Realistically, the most likely kind of explosion associated with nuclear reactors would be a steam explosion, but that's not going to be all that powerful, and it certainly wouldn't be of any use in military demolition.
Maybe, juuuust maybe, the explosion is caused by a pressure explosion from the pilot! All the pent up angst and emotion in an average teenage robot-piloting future soldier is enough to cause untold destruction if unleashed!!

.... Alright, I got nothing...

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 03:37   Link #964
Oppius
Banned

Is it true that Marina Ismail's real name is actually Marina binti Ismail?

As far as I know, her name should be written like that since 'Ismail' is actually not her name at all but instead her father's name. 'Ismail" is a very masculine name and its much like naming 'Joseph' or 'George' to a girl.

Just look as Osama bin Laden as example. The Americans often addressed him as 'Bin Laden' rather than 'Osama'. It may not funny to Americans but me and rest of my countrymen laughed when they hear about it. 'Laden' is Osama's father, who may already died long ago. It just funny when someone who already in grave long time ago get all derogatory which he shouldn't deserved.

'Bin' means 'son of' and 'binti' means 'daughter of' if you don't understand.

I think this may a deliberate attempt by Sunrise to prevent any controversies as 'Marina binti Ismail' sounds too similar with 'Osama bin Laden' which is hated by everybody(but not in my country) hates.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 07:47   Link #965
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Maybe, juuuust maybe, the explosion is caused by a pressure explosion from the pilot! All the pent up angst and emotion in an average teenage robot-piloting future soldier is enough to cause untold destruction if unleashed!!
Heck, even that doesn't work. When Amuro purposefully aimed for the cockpit at the beginning of Mobile Suit Gundam, we got no big explosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post

As far as I know, her name should be written like that since 'Ismail' is actually not her name at all but instead her father's name. 'Ismail" is a very masculine name and its much like naming 'Joseph' or 'George' to a girl.
I don't know if it's worth it trying to figure out the intricacies of naming in a show with such gems as Ribbons Almark. In-universe, you can put it down to naming conventions changing over time, or even Marina's parents liking the name and leaving it at that. Out of universe, it's more likely that the creators just liked the way "Marina Ismail" worked.
Old 2009-07-09, 17:20   Link #966
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post

Just look as Osama bin Laden as example. The Americans often addressed him as 'Bin Laden' rather than 'Osama'. It may not funny to Americans but me and rest of my countrymen laughed when they hear about it. 'Laden' is Osama's father, who may already died long ago. It just funny when someone who already in grave long time ago get all derogatory which he shouldn't deserved.

'Bin' means 'son of' and 'binti' means 'daughter of' if you don't understand.

I think this may a deliberate attempt by Sunrise to prevent any controversies as 'Marina binti Ismail' sounds too similar with 'Osama bin Laden' which is hated by everybody(but not in my country) hates.
Marina is supposed to be Persian though, not Arabic. As far as I know, modern Persian names follow a personal name - surname format. So Ismail would be her surname (however unusual it may sound)

I believe that's the case in a few Arabic countries too, no?

Funny that Setsuna's real surname is Ibrahim and Marina's surname is Ismail though. I actually didn't see that connection until now...
Old 2009-07-10, 21:32   Link #967
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Funny that Setsuna's real surname is Ibrahim and Marina's surname is Ismail though. I actually didn't see that connection until now...
:O Can't believe I didn't see that. Just what exactly are you trying to say here Sunrise? Yet another biblical reference that Sunrise just threw in, just like Boaz and Jachin (Due) from Seed.
Old 2009-07-11, 00:37   Link #968
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... I'm totally lost. Anyone want to clue me in as to what this reference is?
Old 2009-07-11, 03:07   Link #969
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... I'm totally lost. Anyone want to clue me in as to what this reference is?
I was half-way done with an explanation and I realized that if I threw in a few begottens it would sound just like the bible. Anyway, hopefully a clearer version.

From the Torah (for the Jews), Old testament (for the Christians), one of those old corrupted books and referenced to in the Qur'an (for the Muslims), book of Genesis. Short version: Creation story, Adam and Eve get kicked out of Eden, time skip, Noah, flood, time skip, Abraham.

Alright. Abraham is the father of the Jews and Arabs (I know I'm comparing apples and oranges, bear with me). He had a son with his wife's servant, he was named Ishmael, and then another son with his wife, he was named Isaac. The he had some more kids with a third woman, but no one cares about them. The Jews claim they are decendents of Isaac, Arabic Muslims claim they are the decendents of Ishmael. The Jews and Muslims agree on this much. They don't agree on who the true heir was.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that in Arabic, Abraham is Ibrahim, and Ishmael is Ismail. So Soran Ibrahim and Marina Ismail are yet another religious reference by Sunrise.
Old 2009-07-11, 03:18   Link #970
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... ohhhh. Clever.
Old 2009-07-11, 07:02   Link #971
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Another question on destruction of MS and stuff. But rather, the durability of a MS.

For example, once again in The 08th MS Team, episode 10. When Shiro and Karen are trying to take on that fleeing Dom, the Guntank blasts it in the back with the shoulder cannons, from no more than....a few 100 yards away.

Big explosion, yet, the Dom is completely un-damaged. All there is, is just smoke coming off the Dom's back. But, no missing torso, or hell a dent.

Strong MS durability?
Or just lack of extra detail?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 09:44   Link #972
X207
Gamyūsa

lately ive been catching up on all the gundam series that dated before gundam wing. ive gotten as far as finishing zeta and id like to know if there is any character continuity with zeta/ZZ and gundam F91?
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 11:02   Link #973
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
lately ive been catching up on all the gundam series that dated before gundam wing. ive gotten as far as finishing zeta and id like to know if there is any character continuity with zeta/ZZ and gundam F91?
None whatsoever.
Old 2009-07-14, 14:38   Link #974
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
None whatsoever.
ty brightman. now all thats left is to watch the remaning 190 eps of the missing series i havent seen yet.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 01:59   Link #975
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

So I was reading the Hot Shounen Mom trope on TVTropes, and came across this tidbit of information:

Spoiler for Kira's adoptive mom:

Is this true? And if it is, when was it revealed?

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2009-07-20 at 16:53.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:56   Link #976
carmolita

yes it's true, and I believe it was revealed in the fanbook(kira's adoptive mother and real mother were sisters), but their was also the destiny edge manga that gave some clues and the conversation, between lord izumi and kira's parents. I'm hoping that the movie gives some clues/explores kira and cagalli's past. other than the fact that their twins and their parents names and how kira was made their orgins wern't explored to much. I would like to know why the yamato and atthas wanted to keep the kids apart and have them never meet. Other than the blue cosmos extremist- that part just kind of went over my head They could get a entire new season if they delve into their past because it's never clear what happend to their biological parents. I'm sure that they weren't just given away on accident their parents had to have something to do w/that- rau le crusset said that her always thought the twins died. mwu parents we know died in a fire possibly set by rau.
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 04:15   Link #977
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmolita View Post
I would like to know why the yamato and atthas wanted to keep the kids apart and have them never meet.
I believe they were afraid the people who killed the parents might also look for the children. It would be too suspicious if the aunt suddenly adopted twin babies.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 16:40   Link #978
carmolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I believe they were afraid the people who killed the parents might also look for the children. It would be too suspicious if the aunt suddenly adopted twin babies.
-but how do we know they are actually dead.? It's never been said...
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 21:25   Link #979
monster

Quote:
Well, at least Rau thought they were dead, others might have as well.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:21   Link #980
4Tran

Quote:
No, but all of the characters who were likely to know the truth thought that they had died. And in terms of storytelling purposes, it would be better if they were dead.