AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 34 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 42.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-14, 02:38   Link #81
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
I'm disappointed...this episode did have some true LOL moments (my favorites were Yuuichi shaking Nayuki awake, and of course the jam) but overall, the pacing just seemed off. Even the timing within individual scenes was weird...take Shiori's introduction as an example: in the Toei version, Ayu smacks into the tree; snow falls immediately and buries her; and simultaneously, there's a muffled shriek or scream off to the left. A few seconds later, it cuts to the image of Shiori down on the ground, an obvious result of the snowfall caused by Ayu.

In the new version, Ayu runs into the tree, but nothing much happens; she and Yuuichi talk for much longer; THEN Shiori appears on the ground, and Yuuichi blames Ayu for it, but the whole linkage of cause and effect that was so evident before is entirely absent now.

I've been looking forward to this ever since I first heard it was being remade; why am I not enjoying it more? I can't fault KyoAni's art or animation; it's definitely beautiful...but so far, it seems a little hollow, somehow.
Well, if you playback that scene, there was a sound effect of snow falling before Shiori's exclamation. So what happened was that Ayu bumped into the tree, loosening the snow but not making it fall yet. Ayu and Yuuichi then squabble. Shiori walks past and the snow finally falls. Yuuichi blames Ayu for causing the snow to fall.
Old 2006-10-14, 02:49   Link #82
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well, if you playback that scene, there was a sound effect of snow falling before Shiori's exclamation. So what happened was that Ayu bumped into the tree, loosening the snow but not making it fall yet. Ayu and Yuuichi then squabble. Shiori walks past and the snow finally falls. Yuuichi blames Ayu for causing the snow to fall.
Yes, I heard that. The time between the two events still seems way too long, and there's still no clear cause for why the snow falls when it does, other than that it's convenient -- previously, Ayu's impact with the tree brought it down, and the only coincidence was that Shiori was walking by at that moment. Now, Ayu only loosens the snow, and then *nothing* brings it down when Shiori finally arrives? I'm not expecting absolute realism or 100% correct physics here, but that's stretching the whole willing-suspension-of-disbelief idea a bit far, at least for me...
Old 2006-10-14, 03:07   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, there *can* be a substantial delay between a shake and the snowfall from a tree --- its usually a rather wet snow when that happens (not the ultra dry stuff the Cascades and Rockies are subject to). But yeah... the timing is pure comedy slapstick.

I see this effect more frequently with rooftop snow ... .smack the house and it might be minutes before a huge cascade of snow comes down. The smack destabilizes the snow... but its internal structure and friction fights a slowly losing battle until the critical point is reached (nonlinear system theory) and you get a sudden phase shift.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-14 at 03:24.
Old 2006-10-14, 03:09   Link #84
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Yes, I heard that. The time between the two events still seems way too long, and there's still no clear cause for why the snow falls when it does, other than that it's convenient -- previously, Ayu's impact with the tree brought it down, and the only coincidence was that Shiori was walking by at that moment. Now, Ayu only loosens the snow, and then *nothing* brings it down when Shiori finally arrives? I'm not expecting absolute realism or 100% correct physics here, but that's stretching the whole willing-suspension-of-disbelief idea a bit far, at least for me...
It's not that uncommon for a delayed reaction on the snow's part. Eh-to... how do I explain this without being too wordy?

Ayu bumping into the tree provided kinetic energy which shook the snow on the tree, but the force was not large enough to immediately make the snow fall. It was however, enough to provide potential energy within the snow( whose position has been shifted already from a stable one to an unstable one) and from then on, gravity took over as the snow slowly, but surely, gained momentum and fell just as Shiori happened to walk past underneath.

It is perfectly realistic in nature, and obeys the laws of physics, but I suck at explaining it in layman's terms, so I am now hoping for a person who actually majored in Physics to help me explain it better.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-14, 03:56   Link #85
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 2
This episode had it funny moments. I enjoyed it. Ayu~ <3

Special thanks to everyone who posted their observations. I've never watched Haruhi nor AIR, but it really amuses me to see the references. It feels like all of them live in the same universe or something. Good job KyoAni~
Old 2006-10-14, 04:04   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

References are great.. .unless they actually detract from the story.
So far there's been hardly anything that a viewer who hadn't seen the other shows would wonder "what the hell was that about?" ... so cookies for KyoAni.
Old 2006-10-14, 04:38   Link #87
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I'm disappointed...this episode did have some true LOL moments (my favorites were Yuuichi shaking Nayuki awake, and of course the jam) but overall, the pacing just seemed off. Even the timing within individual scenes was weird...take Shiori's introduction as an example: in the Toei version, Ayu smacks into the tree; snow falls immediately and buries her; and simultaneously, there's a muffled shriek or scream off to the left. A few seconds later, it cuts to the image of Shiori down on the ground, an obvious result of the snowfall caused by Ayu.

In the new version, Ayu runs into the tree, but nothing much happens; she and Yuuichi talk for much longer; THEN Shiori appears on the ground, and Yuuichi blames Ayu for it, but the whole linkage of cause and effect that was so evident before is entirely absent now.
Or another way to look at it.....

I think that's because the snow didn't fall from the same tree. They are in a residential area containing nicely trimmed trees. Shiori is standing in front of the neighboring tree. I mean you can say that snow from the top branches of the tree that Ayu hit fell on the neighboring tree causing it to fall on Shiori. Ayu does do 4 steps to reach Shiori. That could give you a time delay too.

Those references all good, but if Nayuki and Misuzu really had pink PJs in the game then isn't it that Air is referencing Kanon? The same with the Yuichi monologue statement by Kaori. Another forum mentioned that this is a also game event. If so, then it becomes Haruhi is referencing Kanon and not the other way around.
Old 2006-10-14, 04:56   Link #88
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-14, 05:08   Link #89
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-14, 05:11   Link #90
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Yuiichi monologue statement and Kyon in SuzuHaru are totally seperate though (it turns into an unintended case of parallelism) given that the suzuharu the novel is by no mean influenced by Kanon.
The AIR thing though would a reference of a reference...

The snow thing... I think that KyoAni actually handles it closer to how things like that tend to happen. Immediate impact normally doesn't bring snow crashing down immediately from what I recall (I haven't tried it nor do I intend to).

Spoiler:

Upon reviewing what happened in Kanon, I can't imagine how crushed Yuiichi will be if everything falls upon him simutanuously like a deck of cards. Akiko, the all-knowing is what I am banking on to pull him through but... (I am getting ahead of myself).

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-14, 05:23   Link #91
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
Remember, Kanon is one of Jyun Maeda's early works. There's bound to be some rough edges that can do well without nitpicking (Nobody did question why Misaki can walk around the school naturally in ONE despite being blind). You should just take a look at the huge picture instead of commenting on some minor stains.
Old 2006-10-14, 05:31   Link #92
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for I disagree with you on that orion:

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-14, 05:44   Link #93
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I've never watched Haruhi
Go, now!: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/786.html

Do not come back for 7 hours.
Quote:

I actually have to agree. It's a timing issue, obviously, but it did seem quite awkward, particularly when you compare it with that scene in the first series. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably minor, but maybe it's an indication that 24 episodes might stretch Kanon's story a bit thin. One hopes not, though.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:02   Link #94
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Damn..I cant believe I forgot to add this pic

Guess the three girls in this scrrenshot of Episode 3 from AIR

Old 2006-10-14, 06:03   Link #95
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Spoiler for I disagree with you on that orion:
Spoiler:

Since I'm a fan of the Ayu path, I wouldn't nitpick any of the other characters' paths. I did read an interpretation that better explains it. I also understand Nayuki now too.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:09   Link #96
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post

:O i didnt notice that scene at all...so i take it that its kinda a guest appearence in air from kanon *goes back to watch ep 3*

Spoiler for Potential Spoiler. Don't read if you have not seen the original series:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-10-14 at 09:24.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:17   Link #97
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post

Also, proof that Ayu looks great in teen clothes.

Spoiler for Deathkillz:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-10-14 at 09:24.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:17   Link #98
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
The theme to Kanon is "Miracle" and how they do happen in the most depressing of times. So.....

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2006-10-14 at 06:46.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:42   Link #99
Skane
Anime Snark

Unhappy

Guys, guys. Mark your spoilers.

Deathkillz, you need to hide your spoiler in a spoiler tag. MakubeX2, you need to hide your quote from Deathkillz in a spoiler tag too.

You're ruining the surprise for the newcomers.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-14, 06:56   Link #100
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Moving onto lighter side of things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuichi
Wh- what jam is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko
Classified Information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuichi
Will that jam wind up on the table again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayuki
I think... you should be prepared for unannounced emergencies.

Closed Thread