Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-12-08, 15:17   Link #81
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Of course, if anyone use "UC Gundam" or "LOGH" (like some of the "grumpy ones" does all the time) or "War And Peace" or "To Kill A Mocking Bird" or "Band of Brothers" as yardsticks of quality for EVERY PARAMETERS (setting, writing, direction, characters, characterizations, scope of the plot) of EVERY SINGLE SERIES, no series from a genre that is not drama, war drama or sci-fi is ever going to stand a chance. So, is a comedy or a romcom ever going to be judged fairly with those criterias? Fat chance, hahahah!

PS: As a fantasy fan, I have already dealt with the scorn of sci-fi fans who saw nothing but "lol chainmail bikinis" in fantasy and could not conceive the possibility that 1. I am very picky in my choice of sci-fi AND fantasy. 2. They could not conceive that I could possibly enjoy both genres, but enjoy fantasy more.
I will put the situation in Neutral

On one hand, this year saw less fujoshi pandering anime as aside from Shounen Jump, original shounen ai/yaoi anime has stepped aside for the manga fields but as a tradeoff, there was more yuri undertone in my anime. Don't midn that, just noticing some changes in pandering trends.

For me, I don't need too much drama or sci-fi but what I am concerned with the type of casts most shounen light novels have nowadays namely the "Harem cast" syndrome. A Jump Editor once said "New Mangaka can't draw cool looking men". In my case, design more interesting male characters both aesthetically and personality. So they opt for more and more cute girls and a token guy for the reader to relate to. Aside from a token male best friend, the male lead hangs out with girls more often then guys. Light Novels are often the source material adapted for anime and as a major source of adaptation material, more authors need to either a) Hire a shounen ai or shoujo manga artist or b) think outside of harem antics and aim for more standard shounen concepts.

Hell the Editor said that a good light novel with a decent male cast will be a very profitable venture.

The only reason why people want more mecha/sci-fi is because the casts aren't dominated by female characters
Old 2010-12-08, 21:21   Link #82
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

It's positive if you only watch it for entertainment due to increasing demand of light hearted stuff.

It's negative if you are looking for FMP and other serious stuff.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 09:13   Link #83
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
It's negative if you are looking for FMP and other serious stuff.
FMP? Serious? I liked it a lot but that series is definitely not serious. It's comedy-drama, and a rather unique one because of its military theme.
I think the problem is that anime producers seem to lazy to actually make their shows unique (in the same way that FMP was), because as long as they can get people to watch it then they've succeeded. It's not worth it to them to spend extra time thinking up interesting settings and characters (generalization but still) seeing that they can just insert some lolis and canned anime jokes to get the otaku demographic excited.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 12:26   Link #84
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
If the bill by Ishihara the old guy passes... it's going to have a bad effect.
Old 2010-12-10, 20:42   Link #85
KuroTsuki14

Mind negative's thoughts only:
-BL: Boys looking so manly or not in high school.
-Yuri with moe. I really love to see Yuri that aim at josei or shoujo because girls like yuri too.
-Less animes with guys in it. I'm talking about oppsite of harem or K-On
-Less plot more crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Carnival View Post
NEGATIVE

Recently all the anime coming out is pretty much the same. High school romance/comedy, typical harem, cute moe girls and that's about it. There are a few good ones like that but that's rare. What happened to all the anime with an actual storyline? With action! I'm not trying to be picky because that's my favorite genre, but really, it's just ecchi nowadays...
This.

I really love to see college story the most but that not like going to happen any time. Then again I really like high school with out the romance. Is romance the only genre these days? Sure throw in hints of romance, that would work for me....I guess.

The good animes are long ago now. There are most old school or 5 years ago. There about 10( what I watched/ing) good one this year and 30 ecchi/moe. Good one never can't fight back the bad one. Nowadays fans are only in to the ecchi/moe/Harem even if there action they like it with girls and 1 or 2 guys only. The main reason why so many of that is because moe/ecchi/Harem have good sales then normal anime. That why we can't get normal/good. Other then that I can predict the future with more same crap really....So far I only heard about 3 good animes coming out next years(not counting winter 2010/11) and 10 bad one. :\

I will be little happy if there lower down the ecchi or moe. Oh man why can animes be balance nowadays? guys get their stuff and same to girls.

Last edited by KuroTsuki14; 2010-12-10 at 21:18. Reason: bad grammar and spelling
KuroTsuki14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 21:19   Link #86
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroTsuki14 View Post
Mind negative's thoughts only:
-BL: Boys looking so manly or not in high school.
-Yuri with moe. I really love to see Yuri that aim at josei or shoujo because girls like yuri too.
-Less animes with guys in it. I lost count how many animes that have many girls in it.
-Less plot more crap.

This.

I really love to see college story the most but that not like going to happen any time. Then again I really like high school with out the romance. Is romance the only genre these days? Sure throw in hints of romance, that would work for me....I guess.

The good animes are long ago now. There are most old school or 5 years ago. There about 10( what I watched/ing) good one this year and 30 ecchi/moe. Good one never can't fight back the bad one. Nowadays fans are only in to the ecchi/moe/Harem even if there action they like it with girls and 1 or 2 guys only. The main reason why so many of that is because moe/ecchi/Harem have good sales then normal anime. That why we can't get normal/good. Other then that I can predict the future with more same crap really....So far I only heard about 3 good animes coming out next years(not counting winter 2010/11) and 10 bad one. :\

I will be little happy if there lower down the ecchi or moe. Oh man why can animes be blance nowadays? guys get there stuff and same to girls.
Because the main demographics of most animes nowadays are....

...wait a minute.....

....HIGH SCHOOLERS!

Seriously, High School students are the biggest demographics next to 20-something otakus.

So you need the content to fit the demographic. I know it's a marketing cliche, but it's the reality we live.

Like i've said many many many times at this thread:

The anime industry doesn't know how to market itself outside it's main demographics.

The industry we all know is only good at appealing to otakus, high school students and girls. That's it.

Tell me, when was the last time there was an anime made for housewives or parents to enjoy with their kids?

15 years ago? 20 years ago?

Did you guys remember the eigth episode of Ore no Imouto? That episode teaches us that animes are made based on what sells rather than what's good.

It's reality guys. We're gonna have 5 to 10 years filled with more high school harem ecchi BS animes (regardless of good or bad) until everyone in this generation starts going to college and everyone in Generation Y begins having a job. By then, the anime industry will start making less high school harem ecchi BS animes.

THis is the face of the current marketing & sales department of the anime industry:

The anime industry is filled with more sad Don Drapers than the entire first season of Mad Men.
Old 2010-12-10, 21:37   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The tragedy is that they're often circling around excellent "adult/grownup" anime and college setting anime (e.g. Hataraki Man, REC, Honey&Clover, etc). They're just really really comfortable with easy-to-churn-out teen angst harem comedy-drama (really, you can almost graph many series design with lego pieces). Those series actually DO exist but they failed to market it to "housewives or parents to enjoy"

Reason? Anime is still viewed as mostly deviant in the public view. Even avid adult fans conceal their hobby (ala Kirino in Ore Imouto) for fear of wrecking their social/career network. Yeah, its evolving.... but hey this is a country still struggling with the notion that women might do something besides be a housewife.
Old 2010-12-10, 21:55   Link #88
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Tell me, when was the last time there was an anime made for housewives or parents to enjoy with their kids?

I wouldn't go that far myself. There were a lot of "housewives" in the audience for Saiunkoku Monogatari going by the NHK special I watched some time back. Hataraki Man was a story about a female magazine editor. She wasn't a housewife, but her story was certainly targeted at adult viewers. I'd say Nodame Cantabile also fit into the demographic you described.

These aren't 15-20 years old; they come from 2006-2007. Two of them are Noitamina shows.

As for parents and kids, I'd say Erin, Higepiyo and Chi are all strong contenders among shows from the past few years. Dennou Coil, Moribito, Natsume Yuujinchou, Shion no Ou, and Nijuu Mensou, too, if you include older children.

None of these shows were aired in the past year. That's what concerns me.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 22:18   Link #89
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I dunno this one fits to this thread but I think School Days is an embarassment to the anime industry,though not completely.

First its 'epic' ending. Then some non-canonical ONA shows and finally an altered and even more 'epic' ending of

Spoiler for ....:

SD have multiples endings but the director deliberately choose the bad ones to boost the sales. It is annoying but funny to see some otakus still buying SD DVDs today even it is already three years old. SD is an otaku garbage that should stay in otaku landfill rather than more mainstream world.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 22:22   Link #90
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Because the main demographics of most animes nowadays are....

...wait a minute.....

....HIGH SCHOOLERS!
Maybe in western countries, but not in the Japanese home market that still provides most of the profit for anime companies. Shows may have teenage fans, but few of them are going to be able to afford DVDs and Blurays, because the pricing on those is aimed squarely at the otaku-collector crowd (although the "otaku-collector premium is probably less than many westerners assume since DVDs and Blurays tend to be priced higher in Japan in general.).

That said, I do get the impression that the manga and light novel publishers who tend to collaborate with the anime industry have substantial teenage fanbases.

(I suspect that having less teenage boys in the target market may be part of the reason why the K-On! anime has less fanservice than the manga - that and the fact the show has a decent female fanbase and a female director.

I also suspect that there's a number of cultural factors at play here, including the fact that first romances stereotypically happen in high school (and anime fans love cute romances), as well as idealization of the high school time period - perhaps unsurprising when you consider Japan's economic state in recent years. Having graduated recently, I have to say that being a student is a lot more fun than trying to get by in a crap job market.

As for whether we'll see more ecchi... I'm skeptical on that one. Again, as I mentioned earlier, I think a large chunk of the appeal of ecchi to producers is the consistent sales numbers, not that the shows actually sell all that well. Of six TV anime I can think of to break 15,000 units this year, only one is something I'd classify as ecchi.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 22:25   Link #91
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean.
I'd guess I'd answer:"It's called Sazae-san and gets by far the highest anime ratings every week"?

What about things like Cross Game,Denno Coil or Shugo Chara and Yumeiro Patissière are those not family anime?
Old 2010-12-10, 23:06   Link #92
ion475
にこにこにー

Don't see why people think the outlook is negative...

In Japan? Don't see how it would go down, with the amount of sales of stuff (Collector's item, i.e. DVD/BD, PVC, Wall Scrolls, etc. = #1 money maker for a LONG time...). Negative outlook b/c of all animes seems to do nowaday is selling moe? If it ain't broke, why fix it? Trying to go to another demographic sometimes work (i.e. Wii targeting non-hardcore gamers), but does that mean Microsoft/Sony HAVE to go down that route to generate money? Not really, even though they did anyway b/c it generate extra money...

Quote:
Chibi Maruko-chan, Sazae-chan...yeah, both are 20 (probably more) old, but they ARE the most watched anime for a reason (#2 and #1, respectively, although I only watched Maruko-chan when I was young and is not in US yet...)

Plus, Japanese TV have more than animes...start watching some J-Drama for once...

As for U.S. outlook? Neutral b/c it'll never be as mainstream as it is in East Asia...

Quote:
Reason? Anime is still viewed as mostly deviant in the public view. Even avid adult fans conceal their hobby (ala Kirino in Ore Imouto) for fear of wrecking their social/career network. Yeah, its evolving.... but hey this is a country still struggling with the notion that women might do something besides be a housewife.
Sigh...sad but very true. Japanese corporate culture is just too conservative in general anyway (It's not just women, burakumin suffer the same fate), even when, on the outside, they are innovative. Even though acceptance of otaku culture in general is mostly "neutral" (aka "why should I care about whether he/she is an otaku or not"), can't really say the same about the old generation. And knowing the HUGE, HUGE problem of aging in Japan (High life expectancy + low birth rate...)
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 23:57   Link #93
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
However, I'm wondering why Yutaka Yamamoto is still whining about the industry instead of making ways to make it work?
I apologize for quoting this from the first page, but there's something I would like to say since you mentioned Yamakan's name. Personally, I don't think he is necessarily whining as much as he has offered a relatively balanced and grounded opinion/view on the "industry". This is my impression from the interview he gave one year ago, which strangely enough, still applies today and to this discussion in particular.

I will quote the most "controversial" and interesting parts:

Spoiler for space:

Oddly enough, I find myself agreeing with most of his points. I don't think the issue per se is the content: over abundance of a particular genre (mostly adaptations, of course), or the lack of original works. The problem, I believe, is that anime has not been able to reach a wider audience, and in case of adaptations, target people outside of the pre-established fanbase. He cited Index and Toradora as two examples, arguing that they only serve for the purpose of promoting the original work, but there are countless others that may fit the bill. When I look at the current anime adaptations, I can't help but notice that the audience of most of the works are the light-novel and manga readers. You can even see this in the current discussions at AS: the people sometimes most interested in a show are those familiar with the source material. It is a problem in the long term, if the industry can only depend on the "same people" to buy their works, because in doing so it cannot grow---this in part is the "dead-end" Yamakan is speaking of. Anime, as he argues, is becoming more and more exclusive (if not isolated) into a niche. I think the "solution" is not creating original works or a more varied selection of shows; the "industry" may be too dependent of adaptations at the moment---which is the only one thing that may have a higher rate of success, and so they have to appeal to the fanbase---, but they should also have in mind creating something that can captivate a larger audience, something anyone can enjoy, which admittedly is much harder to achieve. In doing so, it will allow room for more people "to get into anime", thus creating a higher demand.

I believe Yamakan has an interesting opinion if not vision of the anime industry. it will be sad to see a person of this straight forward view go: he announced he will retire from anime should Fractale fail, but I want to think he still has a lot to offer for the industry to grow---his opinion and works should speak themselves.

I wonder what shows produced in the past year have had a wider appeal. I'm willing to bet in the currently airing Kuragehime as the kind of show (adaptation) that should be done more often: accessible/ funny humor, simple story, enjoyable characters, plenty of non-obstrusive "easter eggs"---and it's a work that can stand on its own.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 00:46   Link #94
ion475
にこにこにー

Sigh, another point to add to the lack of originality is that it's just MUCH cheaper to adapt something rather than having people to write a story. I mean, less time, less people needed, etc..

At the end, original works and adaptation generate around the same amount of money (mostly in terms of related goods), and if you're making business decision, you would go with adaptation 9 out of 10 times.

There's always the "wall", though. Anime is either view as kids' stuff (America), a niche subculture (Most of Asia, even though the "sub"culture has a fair substantial population). Is it possible to break that wall? There's Gundam (which is almost as "mainstream" as it goes...at least even non-hardcore anime fan / otaku knows what "Gundam" is). Even then, it doesn't appeal to, let say, housewives. And also, between 1979 and 2010 (soon 2011), thousands of anime have air, but how many has been as successful as Gundam? You can probably count them with your fingers...

Yes, getting a more wide audience would generate more money. I mean, just look at the Wii.. Then, we all know the acceptance of Wii in hardcore gamer circle...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 01:14   Link #95
Taufiq91

Look, what Yutaka Yamamoto failed to mention is that if you want to start original works, you have to start adapting other materials into anime first so that you can start getting known in the industry and that people will take you seriously as an anime director/producer/writer before making your own original work.

The reason why some original works became successes and some don't is because the successful ones are made by well-known individuals in the anime industry whereas the original works that don't succeed are made by rookies.

Star Driver was a success because it had people like Takuya Igarashi and Shinchiro Watanabe involved, whereas Anime no Chikara's works didn't meet the success it intends to have because it's animes were made by people who aren't well known unlike Igarashi or Hideoki Anno.

Even Miyazaki started doing anime adaptations before making his original works. That's how the anime industry is like. Even Bakuman mentions this in one of it's chapters.

It will take an animator 10 adaptations to make before he can even start off making his own original anime. it sucks, but it's all about making yourself known first.
Old 2010-12-11, 03:01   Link #96
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Sigh, another point to add to the lack of originality is that it's just MUCH cheaper to adapt something rather than having people to write a story. I mean, less time, less people needed, etc..
Is it that much cheaper? The planning process (which is only handled by a small number of people) would take longer, but I'd imagine that overall production costs are similar, including final script creation.

Quote:
At the end, original works and adaptation generate around the same amount of money (mostly in terms of related goods), and if you're making business decision, you would go with adaptation 9 out of 10 times.
Depends. Adaptation greatly benefits the copyright holder (royalties, large chunk of the profits since manga publishers are usually key investors in shows, increased sales of the original work + merchandise) but the anime industry doesn't gain much besides pre-release hype and the guarantee of future project investment by publishers. They'd make much more money if they could sell original series, for which they'd own the copyright.

The problem is that they don't know how to market their stuff, and they can't afford to take much risk.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 03:03   Link #97
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Of course, but adaptation material has to change as well. One thing that is a somewhat of a problem is the harem love comedy situations in Light Novels. Can we have a Light Novel where there is more guys than girls that is a Shounen series? And hell stop putting a girl in the front image
Old 2010-12-11, 03:43   Link #98
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Well, a suggestion would be stopping looking at light novels and start looking at the more mainstream litterature, be it japanese, asia outside japan or even the western sphere (europe and america).

There used to be a time when Japan adapted great classics of the western litterature, like Tom Sawyer, Little Princess, The Three Musketeers, Little Women and so on. Those were enjoyed by anyone who grew up watching anime in the 1980s. I refuse to believe that executives could not possibly have read or ever heard about other books that are as marketable as those they have adapted.

There is plenty of books that could make good material for adaptations, Harry Potter COULD appeal to a wide audience, Anne Rice's vampire stories, Lovecraft's stories, Musashi by Yoshikawa, The Ice Company by Georges-Jean Arnaud, and the list go on.

But the problem seems to be how the studio should market this stuff to a wider audience, because there is clearly, in my opinion, a problem of "educating the audience who may want to buy the DVD/Bluray and make them understand that even if that story doesn't have magical girl/loli/moe/spiked-haired teenager/giant robots/big beams of doom, it IS still a good story".
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 04:19   Link #99
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Star Driver was a success
Gah, again with this misplased assumption. What success are you talking about? The ratings so far are 7 in mark and 1% airing shares. If you so much want to give a recent example, say Katanagatari.

And keep in mind I have no idea if the DVD sales are over 9000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Well, a suggestion would be stopping looking at light novels and start looking at the more mainstream litterature, be it japanese, asia outside japan or even the western sphere (europe and america).

There used to be a time when Japan adapted great classics of the western litterature, like Tom Sawyer, Little Princess, The Three Musketeers, Little Women and so on. Those were enjoyed by anyone who grew up watching anime in the 1980s. I refuse to believe that executives could not possibly have read or ever heard about other books that are as marketable as those they have adapted.

There is plenty of books that could make good material for adaptations, Harry Potter COULD appeal to a wide audience, Anne Rice's vampire stories, Lovecraft's stories, Musashi by Yoshikawa, The Ice Company by Georges-Jean Arnaud, and the list go on.

But the problem seems to be how the studio should market this stuff to a wider audience, because there is clearly, in my opinion, a problem of "educating the audience who may want to buy the DVD/Bluray and make them understand that even if that story doesn't have magical girl/loli/moe/spiked-haired teenager/giant robots/big beams of doom, it IS still a good story".
That's all nice and I agree. Only thing... all those stories, classic or not, are not worth buying a Blue Ray. Blue Rays exist to offer HD, which in term means better looking magical girl/loli/moe/spiked-haired teenager/giant robots/big beams of doom. If they want to sell simpler stories, they better head back to CDs or fill more than 4 episodes per disk. Seriously, who will buy a DVD with 4 episodes of Little Women in HD? But if it was a CD or let's say 15 episodes in the same disk, now we are going somewhere.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 04:28   Link #100
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Gah, again with this misplased assumption. What success are you talking about? The ratings so far are 7 in mark and 1% airing shares. If you so much want to give a recent example, say Katanagatari.

And keep in mind I have no idea if the DVD sales are over 9000.

That's all nice and I agree. Only thing... all those stories, classic or not, are not worth buying a Blue Ray. Blue Rays exist to offer HD, which in term means better looking magical girl/loli/moe/spiked-haired teenager/giant robots/big beams of doom.If they want to sell simpler stories, they better head back to CDs or fill more than 4 episodes per disk. Seriously, who will buy a DVD with 4 episodes of Little Women in HD?But if it was a CD or let's say 15 episodes in the same disk, now we are going somewhere.

Sir, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.