AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 23:56   Link #81
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhan DVG
Oh, and while.. kinda on the subject, my thoughts on Hitler can be summed up in one little picture...

Is he making a speech?... i've always wanted to here his speech...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 00:09   Link #82
harudasakurada

Send a message via AIM to harudasakurada
I'm American and definitely not patriotic. There's no way I'd ever do anything to help our military, and I just generally don't like this place. It may not even be all of America but rather Texas, where I live, which I just can't get comfortable with. Sucky education system and everything's so far apart you basically need a car if you want to go somewhere. I've been to New York City, which I like, and Europe, which I also like, so I guess it's just the Texan way of life I've come to abhor. Then there's the fact that I'm not all too fond of American culture, since much emphasis was placed on German culture during my, er, younger years by my mother (who's from Germany).
All in all I'm one of those people who wish they would've been born somewhere else (preferably Germany, for me) and hope they'll move to some other country one day.
harudasakurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 18:42   Link #83
Zabuzalover
I will run over you.=^^=

Send a message via AIM to Zabuzalover Send a message via MSN to Zabuzalover
I am 100% military loving.Look at my sig.
That's that.
Zabuzalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 19:16   Link #84
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

What has military got to do with patriotism?
The only connenction I can see is that military is a tool for false patriotism...

Patriotism means to love your country (and its government ), not to love killing / things that kill / feeling powerful.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 19:20   Link #85
Zabuzalover
I will run over you.=^^=

Send a message via AIM to Zabuzalover Send a message via MSN to Zabuzalover
I do lov emy country.Proud of it.Proud of everything in it.(except gas prices )
Zabuzalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 06:31   Link #86
Ending

Military is just used as a symbol of men "willing to die for their country" and thus is always talked together with patriotism/nationalism. IMO, military is good and fun (have been there myself), but only so to make you a better killer in the war (mentally; by "defending" your friends and the belief rooted to you during your training) Thus; military education + war == get shot by them or by your own.

*Sigh* Can't believe how many actually believe all that crap they feed to you there.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-26, 22:29   Link #87
Buu
will I ever be loved.....

I aint patriotic I wont die for land mass. I live in Canada but I was born In trinidad although Trinidad is much more beautiful I wouldnt die for neither if a war was starting Iwould pack my bags grab everyone close to me and run.
Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 09:17   Link #88
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
After some discussion on another board about patrionism and nationalism, I thought to ask about it here too (in a simple manner). So, do you count yourself to be patriotic or not? If yes, would you go to war if the call came?

Myself, I wouldn't go to the frontier even if Finland was the defending country. Help behind the lines, maybe; but wouldn't risk my life for it. I'm not patriotic in any other ways either, and I think it is rather odd to "worship" your country like some strange idol or a moral symbol. That is what I think, but what is your opinion?

Discussion.
I would never die for my country but I do appreciate those who had. I live my quality life in Finland because of those guys.

Wirhe how old are you anyway ? Have you been in army or are a conscientious objector ( there got to be a better word for that ).
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 10:56   Link #89
Ending

It... lives... again.

@ Yoska

To answer your question: yes, I went through the military.

I have been thinking this too and come to a conclusion: we don't "owe" anything to the veterans or government. When it comes to taxes and services, government thinks only for itself and its rules. When it comes to companies, they think about themselves first. When it comes to us, we should think our own mouth first when it comes to surviving between the demands of society and work. Simple as that. Those who died in one war or another did so of their own choise or because others (their own) threatened them with penalties, thus we do not owe them anything either. It's about choises and even though I respect the one they took -perhaps I would had done the same, perhaps not- it is no reason to make it a trophy to force others to do the same, or judge them.

So no; I'm not patriotic at all. I do not owe anything to any community. We live a comfy life because that is the result of our own work.
Old 2004-09-27, 12:46   Link #90
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:

I have been thinking this too and come to a conclusion: we don't "owe" anything to the veterans or government. When it comes to taxes and services, government thinks only for itself and its rules. When it comes to companies, they think about themselves first. When it comes to us, we should think our own mouth first when it comes to surviving between the demands of society and work. Simple as that. Those who died in one war or another did so of their own choise or because others (their own) threatened them with penalties, thus we do not owe them anything either. It's about choises and even though I respect the one they took -perhaps I would had done the same, perhaps not- it is no reason to make it a trophy to force others to do the same, or judge them.

So no; I'm not patriotic at all. I do not owe anything to any community. We live a comfy life because that is the result of our own work.
My thoughts exactly. Government exist for us the people, not the opposite.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 06:25   Link #91
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
Im a proud (dutch) nationalist =P
and a strong supporter of the monarchy

and as for dying for you country, if its under attack i'd fight for it and try not to die =P
or as they say, "For Queen and Country!" (yes, we have a Queen atm)
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 09:14   Link #92
Ending

Quote:
Government exist for us the people, not the opposite.
That is the theory, but is it the same in practise? Not even nearly 'always.'
Old 2004-09-28, 15:00   Link #93
Kensuke

Quote:
I do not owe anything to any community. We live a comfy life because that is the result of our own work.
But you live your nice life because of our past generations and because they build it, this didn't come after one night.

Quote:
I have been thinking this too and come to a conclusion: we don't "owe" anything to the veterans or government. When it comes to taxes and services, government thinks only for itself and its rules.
That was very intresting, do we owe anything to the government? I think its more or less even, we pay taxes and receive services, including security which would be impossible without government. (Of course governments use their power also for doing something wrong, for their own power alone)
But do we owe anything to our veterans or past generations in general? That I disagree, we do owe them, at least by keeping up what they have build and also not to repeat their mistakes.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 15:19   Link #94
Ending

Not really; whatever they build, they build for themselves and their own benefit. We just take it from them once they pass away, and if there wasn't that we would build our own.

"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae", was what even romans realized; every man makes his own fortune.
Old 2004-09-28, 16:06   Link #95
Kensuke

True, but weren't they building it for the future, for their children too? Like something to left behind.
I'm not saying that we have to be eternally thankful, just to acknowledge what they did.

We will see how things are when we are old and senile.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 17:23   Link #96
Ending

Acknowledge, yes, go to war because of it? No. As far as we know, they could had been building it for the arses of nine gibbering monkeys and then someone claims they did it for us.

"The honour of those valiant veterans who fought in a XX war to liberate/defend YY country."

IIRC, those who didn't want to go got shot -strange how that is left out when patriots start talking about serving your country.
Old 2004-09-28, 21:29   Link #97
Grona
Big Damit!

Very patriotic, love my country, hope I never have to fight but I would. If the day ever comes where I have to defend it I just hope I can find the courage both of my granfathers had in the world war.
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote