Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-10-16, 09:39   Link #81
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
Maybe I should add more to what I wrote?

Add:
自重 is read as jijyuu even tho properly it's jichou.
There's no real change in the actual meaning.
It's often used to caution people. For the most part I see the msg as "enough with ____"
Sometimes it's playful. Many times I think I see it b/c the commenter is really sick
of seeing ____ so often. But it can be used in other ways.
When there's a "w" after it though (occasionally otherwise), I think it can be used in situations where you don't expect something but it comes there and ruins the atmosphere in a funny way. Like for example if there was a SERIOUS DRAMATIC MOMENT in an anime and someone goes in and shops a version of him looking really stupid (like with a 肉 on his forehead or something silly like that) they might say "肉自重ww"... as far as I understand (which isn't a lot).

While I'm here can I ask if anyone can tell me why people decided to use Backbeard from Gegege no Kitarou in that "KONO LOLICON DOMO-ME" picture/AA? You know, the one with the eyeball looking down at you... Is it a completely random thing? Apparently there's even a fan-made loli wearing black to go with it...
Old 2007-10-16, 11:40   Link #82
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Maybe this should go to the otaku lingo discussion thread or the Niconico Douga thread in General Chat. I wouldn't mind helping people understand if there are any strange slang words/puns (that is, if I understand them myself... -_-) I could totally go on about the Fuchagi series of cat videos, but that's definitely not otaku lingo.
It is hard for those of us who don't reach 2ch to tell how many of the nico memes/common usages are actually not just restricted to nico or to their own topics. There are things like ずっと俺のターン which started in a 2ch thread about Yugioh, then went to Yugioh videos, but is now put as ずっと(キャラ)のターン whenever a character gets to make multiple moves of some sort (ex. girl slapping a guy). Another common one is L5 (origin Higurashi) referring to a character who has gone mad and possibly violent as a result.

Last edited by bayoab; 2007-10-16 at 11:53.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 09:10   Link #83
Furudanuki

Back on the subject of 2ch slang - what sort of symbol or phrase is commonly used to indicate that a statement is intended to be sarcastic? Something that would be the equivalent of the "eye roll" emoticon we use here?
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 09:45   Link #84
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
When there's a "w" after it though (occasionally otherwise), I think it can be used in situations where you don't expect something but it comes there and ruins the atmosphere in a funny way. Like for example if there was a SERIOUS DRAMATIC MOMENT in an anime and someone goes in and shops a version of him looking really stupid (like with a 肉 on his forehead or something silly like that) they might say "肉自重ww"... as far as I understand (which isn't a lot).
自重 is used for anyone/anything with high tension. It means, roughly, 'calm down.' Deeper meaning lies in 'if you are acting too lightly, make yourself heavier.'
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 07:08   Link #85
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
Deeper meaning lies in 'if you are acting too lightly, make yourself heavier.'
I agree with the "calm down," but I don't think that part is quite correct.
At least I never heard of that...

The ateji reading jijyuu is still a real word (same kanji 自重). It means dead weight. You'll use it when you calculating the weight of an unloaded vehicle for example.

Probably cation wasn't the right word. Yahoo Japanese Dictionary says jichou is "be prudent".
Mr. Annoying 水色 commenter was the case I was thinking about when I wrote about 自重 first. What wao wrote is more common, now that I think of it, but the meaning of the word doesn't really change. It's just used as a lightheartedly tsukkomi.

Furudanuki is that a rhetorical question? w
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 07:42   Link #86
Rembr

Quote:
I agree with the "calm down," but I don't think that part is quite correct.
At least I never heard of that...
? How was that definition not the same as to be prudent?
Old 2007-10-18, 09:14   Link #87
Furudanuki

Quote:
Furudanuki is that a rhetorical question? w
No, that was a genuine inquiry. I wanted to know what would commonly be used on 2ch to make it clear that you are being a bit sarcastic. For example, what would be an equivalent to this?

That's a good idea.

それは良い考えです。 ???
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 18:27   Link #88
testorschoice

Correction in "Japanese otaku lingo"

From the actual "Japanese otaku lingo" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine View Post
Mecha (??)
Reference to robot anime.
This should be corrected, since it perpetuates a pervasive foreign misconception of the term. Mecha just means "mechanical," so Japanese people refer to mechanical units that aren't robots as "mecha." For example, the Yamato in Space Battleship Yamato is listed under "mecha," and so are the spacecraft in Cowboy Bebop. Even cars in Patlabor are listed under mecha.

The Japanese term for robot anime is just robot anime. Robotech perpetuated the myth that "mecha" means robots, and Battletech (with "mech") exacerbating the myth.
testorschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 06:13   Link #89
Ziv

I found this study on Pronoun use in children. It seems Bokukkos are pretty darn common. According to the results for the girls, 24% of pronoun uses for girls were Boku, and 2% were Ore, while none of the boys used watashi at all.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 17:30   Link #90
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Does うp主 just mean the person who uploaded the video? How do you read 主 in this case, anyway?
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 04:44   Link #91
km0120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Does うp主 just mean the person who uploaded the video? How do you read 主 in this case, anyway?
1. About right. To be precise, it means the person who uploaded anything: files, images, musics, of course videos.

2. They read "nushi" in this case.
km0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 05:27   Link #92
Nagato
幻想郷

Interesting. Even among Japanese, there's various readings for うp主
うぷしゅ、うぷぬし、うぴーしゅ、うぴーぬし。I read it あっぷしゅ before. Seems like, from what I found, うぷぬし is the right reading (accepted by many people).
I think other word like this also doesn't have fix reading, either.
Old 2008-03-25, 15:19   Link #93
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
What exactly does gar mean? And where did it come from?
Xellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 18:05   Link #94
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
What exactly does gar mean? And where did it come from?
GAR usually refers to a character's manliness, often so overbearingly powerful that it causes you to go GAR for said character.

Gar originated on 4chan (obviously.) as a mispelling of "gay" when anonymous stated that he had gone gar for Archer of Fate/Stay Night after seeing episode 14 or something.

And your avatar is freaking win.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 11:05   Link #95
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Thanks qtip. I kinda had the idea what gar meant, but had to make sure. And yeah, even if dansen is kinda old, Shana makes up for it.
Xellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 11:25   Link #96
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato View Post
Interesting. Even among Japanese, there's various readings for うp主
うぷしゅ、うぷぬし、うぴーしゅ、うぴーぬし。I read it あっぷしゅ before. Seems like, from what I found, うぷぬし is the right reading (accepted by many people).
I think other word like this also doesn't have fix reading, either.
Especially in the nico comments, people like to get very liberal with reading kanji and general Japanese usage. You often see a lot of intentionally (or sometimes maybe not) misread words, using kanjis that sound the same but does not have the same meaning, and/or using words that are phonetically similar.
Old 2008-04-17, 22:56   Link #97
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Is there a word used to refer to those shoulder-less sleeves (seen on Reimu Hakurei(Touhou), Miku Hatsune (Vocaloid) and Hanyuu (Higurashi)?
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 09:11   Link #98
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid View Post
Is there a word used to refer to those shoulder-less sleeves (seen on Reimu Hakurei(Touhou), Miku Hatsune (Vocaloid) and Hanyuu (Higurashi)?
I don't know if there's an otaku lingo term for it, but I think those are just commonly referred to as detached sleeves.
Old 2008-04-23, 03:18   Link #99
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid View Post
I recall a somewhat popular meme about Reimu's sleeves called "Gap"... i.e. if she didn't wrap her breasts you'd be able to see them from the sides when she lifted her arms... But I'm not sure that "gap" ever caught on for any other clothing choice.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 20:55   Link #100
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
why is it that VERY often, it is the meganekko who gets the big boobs? is it a coincidence? is there a term for this combo in fact?
cant think of example at this very moment coz its like 2:55am and my brain is dead. maybe i'll edit this post tomorrow with a few examples, though im sure some of you should be able to come up with some very quickly and hopefully answer my question

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote