3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-03-07, 02:09   Link #81
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I agree with all of this, except maybe that it can't be denied that McGillis is the lesser of two evils.

McGillis is an unknown evil, because we don't have a clear idea of what he wants for after his revolution. He might be better than Rustal, he might be worse. All we really know is that he's a different kind of evil.
Agreed. McGillis being an unknown is the reason why I also used "seems" in my statement. McGillis wants to appear as someone who will bring about positive change with his reforms, but it's really a tool to rally the revolutionaries to his cause: overthrowing the current leadership in Gjallarhorn and his rise to power. If he succeeds, it still remains to be seen whether or not he will implement any reforms and whether they succeed or exacerbate the problem, or if he maintains the status quo, but with himself at the helm, by stalling on the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I kind of agree with this, though, I kind of disagreed with Light since the beginning and always saw the slimy piece of crap that he would become by the end. McGillis I see somewhere between Char, Lelouch, and Light. He's in some middle ground in there among the anti-hero, anti-villain characters. But yes, I agree with everything you said in regard to this being the better of two gray alternatives. One is an unknown middling shade of gray, while the other is so dark that he's teetering on black.
I agree that McGillis is somewhere in the middle ground right now, but I don't quite agree with throwing Lelouch into the mix. Lelouch's ultimate goal was for the benefit of someone other than himself. He used people as chesspieces, but he never strayed from his goal to achieve a better world for his sister. McGillis isn't really doing this for anyone but himself. My opinion on this would only change if he ends up proving his sincerity somehow, such as sacrificing himself in the end to ensure Gjallarhorn's reform, but so far, I don't see him as the type of person who would do so.

As for Light, I hated Light and sided against him early on as well. Seeing him fail with the realization that he was dying the same death as the humans he thought himself above was beyond satisfying. McGillis on the other hand brings mixed feelings. While McGillis is not as bad as Light, how much of this is due to the limitations of his resources? He didn't use the dainsleif because that would have undermined his position, but with what we know of his character, would he stray just as badly into moral decay or develop such a terrible god complex if he had something as powerful as a death note that he could use without repercussion?

Even as viewers, we have yet to see anything that might resemble his true self as an adult. In all the scenes we've seen of him so far, even in private moments, he has been cool, collected, and suave. I can't see that as anything more than another mask. This one directed towards us instead of any in-universe character. Yet, to side against him because of these uncertainties would be to side with Rustal, who we can probably agree wouldn't hesitate for a moment given a death note. Damned if you do, maybe damned if you don't.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 02:58   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Agreed. McGillis being an unknown is the reason why I also used "seems" in my statement. McGillis wants to appear as someone who will bring about positive change with his reforms, but it's really a tool to rally the revolutionaries to his cause: overthrowing the current leadership in Gjallarhorn and his rise to power. If he succeeds, it still remains to be seen whether or not he will implement any reforms and whether they succeed or exacerbate the problem, or if he maintains the status quo, but with himself at the helm, by stalling on the issues.
I think he really believes he'll bring about positive change. He could, however, be as deluded about that as about Bael's capacity to bring GH to heel.

Quote:
I agree that McGillis is somewhere in the middle ground right now, but I don't quite agree with throwing Lelouch into the mix. Lelouch's ultimate goal was for the benefit of someone other than himself. He used people as chesspieces, but he never strayed from his goal to achieve a better world for his sister. McGillis isn't really doing this for anyone but himself. My opinion on this would only change if he ends up proving his sincerity somehow, such as sacrificing himself in the end to ensure Gjallarhorn's reform, but so far, I don't see him as the type of person who would do so.

As for Light, I hated Light and sided against him early on as well. Seeing him fail with the realization that he was dying the same death as the humans he thought himself above was beyond satisfying. McGillis on the other hand brings mixed feelings. While McGillis is not as bad as Light, how much of this is due to the limitations of his resources? He didn't use the dainsleif because that would have undermined his position,
Well, his position really was "hey, I can pilot Bael!". It's a silly position, but it wouldn't have been hurt by using banned weapons.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 03:26   Link #83
Skaddix

Well a better world for the people I Care about is more Orga.
Kudelia is more about a better world for all or at least all not on Earth.
McGillis is more motivated by Gjhallahorn not living up to his ideals and never being powerless again which is kinda similar to Tekkadan I guess but they don't care about reform.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 11:12   Link #84
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think he really believes he'll bring about positive change. He could, however, be as deluded about that as about Bael's capacity to bring GH to heel.
Iii also agree with this.

When McGillis says that he wants to improve the world and make things better for people, I do think he's being completely honest about that -- McGillis is objectively a terrible, terrible person, but if that wasn't his goal, there are a million simpler ways he could have accrued power for himself.

I'm just not convinced that what McGillis thinks is better is, in fact, better, and I'd say it's a near certainty that even if it is better than Rustal's system (which is a pretty low bar), it'll still be terrible.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 00:04   Link #85
ReddyRedWolf

We have to note though McGillis' idealized Gjallarhorn is a peacekeeping humanitarian organization. Which was the intention of those that reorganized civilization after the Calamity War with the economic power blocs. The intention was Gjallarhorn was to be an apolitical NGO.

The flaw was that the Seven Stars didn't answer to anybody, a system of accountability that is.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 04:29   Link #86
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

The flaw was that the Seven Stars didn't answer to anybody, a system of accountability that is.
Its really a lot of things compounded over time. The fact that there was no oversight. The fact that the Seven Stars positions was based upon birthright rather than qualification. The fact that all the top positions of leadership were given based on family name, or your ties to a certain family rather than talent or ability. Also, because Gjallarhorn and the Seven Stars were based on Earth, as well as that it was the main seat of power for the blocs, there was favoritism towards Earth and those born there and the farther and farther away from Earth you got, the worse it was, especially for those born elsewhere.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 04:47   Link #87
Skaddix

Well I wouldn't say no one promotes on talent. The surbodinates we have seen under even noted idiots Iok and Carta have been competent enough.
Old 2017-03-09, 05:14   Link #88
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Well I wouldn't say no one promotes on talent. The surbodinates we have seen under even noted idiots Iok and Carta have been competent enough.
But did they get to their positons because of their talent, or was it because of their name? Or the fact that their parents served that family and so they serve that family and that's how it always has been? Carta is really the least reliable, since she hired based on looks.

If someone as talented as Julietta is still looked down on simply because she doesn't have a name and connections, I have to assume that the majority of those serving in Gjallarhorn and especially the Seven Stars are those with famous names and have been in Gjallarhorn for generations.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 05:24   Link #89
DMurphy

It's worth noting that the competence of Gjallarhorn pilots can't necessarily be judged by how they compare to Tekkadan.

I say that both because Tekkadan has several super-amazing pilots with Gundams, but also because the average Tekkadan member is younger, less trained, and in a less advanced mobile suit than the average Gjallarhorn pilot -- so your standard issue Gjallarhorn pilot is going to look more competent than they are when put up against your standard Tekkadan pilot, and less competent when put up against Mika, Akihiro, or Shino.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 03:56   Link #90
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
But did they get to their positons because of their talent, or was it because of their name? Or the fact that their parents served that family and so they serve that family and that's how it always has been? Carta is really the least reliable, since she hired based on looks.

If someone as talented as Julietta is still looked down on simply because she doesn't have a name and connections, I have to assume that the majority of those serving in Gjallarhorn and especially the Seven Stars are those with famous names and have been in Gjallarhorn for generations.
To be fair I chalk up part of Julietta's problem to having an extremely grating personality and weird character quirks like eating butterflies. That cant help.

Ein was simply nothing special.
Old 2017-03-12, 09:32   Link #91
saber24012

It could be possible that we see a Mika vs Rustal fight. Even though we haven't seen him in a mobile suit it's possible he decides to step in. You never know
saber24012 is offline   Reply With Quote