Notices

Old 2019-09-06, 09:59   Link #81
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Watched it.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
First of all, this submission was for Foreign Language Film, not Animated Feature.

The truth is, Shinkai's feelings are irrelevant. The MPPAJ is going to submit whatever film it thinks has the best chance (for the Animated Feature it's the Academy committee who decides on the eligible list - for a major release like this, MPPAJ just needs to make sure it gets a qualifying run in LA/NY). What, Shinkai is supposed to say "Don't submit it?" That's not a reasonable expectation. That doesn't mean he's making creative decisions trying to chase an award he's very unlikely to win anyway (only Miyazaki has won an Oscar for feature-length anime, and only once).

If Shinkai is compromising, it's not the Academy that's compromising him - he's doing it himself. I personally think he's become too conscious of what he thinks his fans expect a Shinkai movie to be, and it's impacted his last few films negatively IMO. But as long as they continue to do huge business, I don't think he's going to see this course as a mistake.

https://features.japantimes.co.jp/ma...kai-interview/

I think this interview sheds a lot of light on the context surrounding the film as well as the themes it takes on

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2019-09-06 at 12:05. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-06, 17:59   Link #82
iko_uwais

watched it a second time. One thing's for sure, regardless of the overall quality in comparison to Shinkai's other work, this is a very entertaining movie. I never got bored even in my second viewing. If it wasn't a busy month with code geass movie and one piece stampede all being released here, there's a chance I could go for a third viewing
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-06, 18:26   Link #83
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I'd like to preface this with that I actually enjoyed the movie a lot. I'm not trying to bash it or anyone or anything. I simply want to discuss this, in a way, to vent my own anxieties.

On the climate change issue, I used to be conscious about it, but I've been a fatalist for a long while now. I have a strong belief that humanity will never be capable of dealing with climate change. We're fucked, and I believe there is nothing we can do about it, it's like trying to make war non-existent in the human future, simply isn't going to happen, so I just go YOLO. Save electricity? My PC is on 24/7. I am happily eating my beef burgers. I use plastic, knowing I will probably choke a fish somewhere down the line. I know the costs of modern convenience, their consequences, I only apologize at heart, and use them anyway.
Now the question is, how am I different to Hodaka?

add:
I've got to say though on the flipside, I admire characters like Hodaka. He knows what he wants and he'd do anything for it. That mix of idealism and egoistical drive always shine to me as the most beautiful thing about humans. Shirou from fate, the character in my signature, and now Hodaka. The world is collapsing around them and they are facing it with a smile.

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2019-09-06 at 18:45.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-07, 00:17   Link #84
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I'd like to preface this with that I actually enjoyed the movie a lot. I'm not trying to bash it or anyone or anything. I simply want to discuss this, in a way, to vent my own anxieties.

On the climate change issue, I used to be conscious about it, but I've been a fatalist for a long while now. I have a strong belief that humanity will never be capable of dealing with climate change. We're fucked, and I believe there is nothing we can do about it, it's like trying to make war non-existent in the human future, simply isn't going to happen, so I just go YOLO. Save electricity? My PC is on 24/7. I am happily eating my beef burgers. I use plastic, knowing I will probably choke a fish somewhere down the line. I know the costs of modern convenience, their consequences, I only apologize at heart, and use them anyway.
Now the question is, how am I different to Hodaka?

add:
I've got to say though on the flipside, I admire characters like Hodaka. He knows what he wants and he'd do anything for it. That mix of idealism and egoistical drive always shine to me as the most beautiful thing about humans. Shirou from fate, the character in my signature, and now Hodaka. The world is collapsing around them and they are facing it with a smile.
TBH only the first two things you mentioned impacts the climate anyway. And, let's be real here, the biggest issue of clean fuels is something for policy makers to bring about. The other half of the solution, carbon sequestration won't occur until scientists invent a workable method for that. In the 1-2 centuries before this occurs, humanity has to endure the effects but to the world, it's just another phase in its long history.

In the end it's like what Kei says. You can't just take everything upon yourself while ignoring your actual capacity. Just do your best as an individual and keep waste to a minimum in this case I suppose

And to be fair to Hodaka, sure he's acting selfishly but it isn't 100% solely for his own benefit. He does genuinely care for Hina and those around her. There's no perfect solution to anything in life after all. Better he faces the screwed up world with a smile than despairing if you ask me
Old 2019-09-07, 04:18   Link #85
Marina2

Watched it. I don't think I enjoy it as much as Ki mi no Na Wa but It's still great film. I like characters in this film a lot. My biggest complain will be....

Spoiler for Plot:

Oh, to anyone who plan to rewatch, make sure you look for.....
Spoiler for Something that you probably missed on your first watch if you don't look for them:

Last edited by Marina2; 2019-09-07 at 04:58.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 08:29   Link #86
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

January 2020 release in the US!!!!

Also remember to put in your request for Sunshine Girl!
https://sunshine-girl.us/
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 11:43   Link #87
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Oh, they made a US version of that site too?

I was surprised when I saw that the otenkigirl site was an actual thing

https://otenki-girl.jp
Old 2019-11-06, 15:36   Link #88
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Watched it in cinema today. Not the best Shinkai's movie but better than I excepted. He still has issues with writing scripts it seems but the visuals are greast as always, the OST was good and I liked the romance part and some secondary characters.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2019-11-11 at 17:16.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-06, 22:10   Link #89
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Watched it in cinema today. Not the best Shinkai's movie but better than I accepted. He still has issues with writing scripts it seems but the visuals is greast as always, the OST was good and I liked the romance part and some secondary characters.
just tell me one thing: when the song Grand Escape plays in the movie, is the scene magical?
Old 2019-11-07, 00:17   Link #90
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
just tell me one thing: when the song Grand Escape plays in the movie, is the scene magical?
The very best in the whole show.

Although TBF the railway run scene a little before that was kinda corny
Old 2019-11-07, 05:34   Link #91
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Yup. The comment above says it all.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-11, 16:28   Link #92
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Just saw the "official MV" for the full Grand Escape (don't know if it's really the official MV), and all I can say is "WOW". Both music video and complete song are amazing. It's going to be one frustrating wait for the movie to actually come out.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-15, 09:13   Link #93
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Just saw the "official MV" for the full Grand Escape (don't know if it's really the official MV), and all I can say is "WOW". Both music video and complete song are amazing. It's going to be one frustrating wait for the movie to actually come out.
I saw it, too. I thought it was some fanmade thing until I noticed that there were some new scenes from the movie that haven't been shown, yet. It definitely hit spoiler-level territory.

another trailer

Old 2019-12-17, 10:55   Link #94
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Just caught wind that Tenki no Ko did not secure a nomination for Best International Feature Film.
Old 2019-12-17, 13:34   Link #95
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Pun intentional or no?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-17, 17:44   Link #96
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Just caught wind that Tenki no Ko did not secure a nomination for Best International Feature Film.
Probably for the best, as it will more than likely lose to South Korea's entry, Parasite (which is shaping up to be a nominee for Best Picture as well).
Old 2019-12-17, 20:30   Link #97
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
^ Pun intentional or no?
I typed that one out at a bus stop this morning. Didn't even realise it!

Irrespective of whether this movie is Oscar-worthy, and lukewarm reception to the film notwithstanding, I'd very much like to see it. The lack of BD release dates does not line up with box office performance, so I'm curious to know what's the deciding factor for when the home release comes out this time around.
Old 2019-12-19, 10:23   Link #98
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I typed that one out at a bus stop this morning. Didn't even realise it!

Irrespective of whether this movie is Oscar-worthy, and lukewarm reception to the film notwithstanding, I'd very much like to see it. The lack of BD release dates does not line up with box office performance, so I'm curious to know what's the deciding factor for when the home release comes out this time around.
Wait, what? There still has been no BD announcement for something as huge as this?
Old 2020-01-09, 23:27   Link #99
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

An announcement from Oricon News indicates that Tenki no Ko will have a home release on May 27, 2020. This is admittedly a much smaller gap between Your Name's theatrical premiere and home release, perhaps speaking to the box office numbers, but irrespective, it's good to have a known date that isn't too far off.
Old 2020-01-10, 00:57   Link #100
iko_uwais

Cant wait to watch in 4k hdr
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote