Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-17, 12:49   Link #81
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantoe View Post
I dont really have any specific place i WANT to see( anything exiting will do)
Now that im already typing here, since im going on a trip to Chicago in the end of april, is there anyone here that could give me some advice on what to see while there ?

Chinatown, Vietnamese Town, The Big lake ,.....er Great Lake, 20 mile or so North of Chitown is NTC, visit the base, buy whatever you want tax-free (hehe). Drive 60miles NE of chitown and visit Naperville, not much out there, its a small college town. Be prepared to get drunk in Naperville.
Whatever you do try to go during the spring or summer time, Winter in Chitown is hella cold, and they don't call it the windy city for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantoe View Post
I dont really have any specific place i WANT to see( anything exiting will do)
Now that im already typing here, since im going on a trip to Chicago in the end of april, is there anyone here that could give me some advice on what to see while there ?
psot skimming pwns me
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 13:20   Link #82
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I really want to just save up a ton of money and take like a six month trek across the world. Problem is I'm a little paranoid of where I would keep all the funds needed to take a trip like this, not to mention it would be good to have a travel buddy for a trip like that and lets face it how many people can do something like this.

But for now I'm debating on my next trip to be either Australia or Europe (probably starting in Belgium.)
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 20:27   Link #83
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
I've always wanted to visit Glasgow or Finland, and I've recently taken great interest in Iceland. Fucking beautiful place, it is.

Those are just desires, though. I don't aspire to go there, but I would still love to. I'll probably end up somewhere in Northwest USA, or in a hole.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 20:42   Link #84
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I really want to just save up a ton of money and take like a six month trek across the world. Problem is I'm a little paranoid of where I would keep all the funds needed to take a trip like this, not to mention it would be good to have a travel buddy for a trip like that and lets face it how many people can do something like this.

But for now I'm debating on my next trip to be either Australia or Europe (probably starting in Belgium.)
One of the best places to keep all that money would be in a bank account. Most credit card companies are international now, so credit cards work worldwide. You get screwed dealing with bank exchange rates, but it's better than carrying around six months worth of cash. On the other hand, you could always carry a lock and key briefcase, handcuffed to your wrist at all time.

There's a lot of places I'd like to go:

Paris, Rome, Egypt, Amsterdam, Oslo, Stockholm, Munich, Beijing, Barcelona, Madrid, Canberra, Sydney, Brasilia...the list goes on.

Now, if only I wasn't a broke, recent college graduate...
Old 2008-02-17, 20:52   Link #85
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I would really like to visit Spain again. I went there in 2006 for a Spanish study program, and I had to speak completely in spanish for ten weeks. It was awesome, and I learned so much about the culture and language. By the end, I was actually THINKING in spanish. I'd like to experience something like that again, one day if I get the chance.
Places I've been to in Spain: Madrid, León, Salamanca, Barcelona, Valencia, Toledo (I bought a katana in Toledo, lol)... er I know there are a few more, but I can't remember...

Other places I want to see:

Korea: It was where I was born, but I was adopted at 5 months old so obviously I don't remember it at all. I've always wanted to visit Korea to see what it's like.

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2008-02-17 at 21:05. Reason: j/k lol, I didn't mean to list japan here. XD
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 23:21   Link #86
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

I love backpacking. I've been backpacking with my dad since I was grade 7.
I've been to:
Korea, China, India, Laos, Thailand, and Japan.

I'd love to backpack Australia and definately the other parts of Asia, not the middle east though.
I can't say I'm really interested in travelling Europe, I mean I've never been interested in the holy places such as monestaries and churches and whatnot. They all kind of look the same to me.

I love how the mountains and scenery of China is sort of that ninja-kind of feeling. It's way different from Canada, where the scenery is so flat and square.
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 00:54   Link #87
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiW View Post
Besides Japan:

-Seoul, South Korea. (My dad was born there, and since I'm part Korean, and I enjoy my Korean heritage, I would love to go)
-Norway. It seems like a beautiful place to visit.
-Singapore
-Thailand
-Canada
-Hong Kong
-Peru
No kidding? Singapore? For real?

I love my country, warts and all, but I wonder why anyone would go out of the way to visit this little red dot. But hey, if you ever do decide to come here, be sure to try out the food - in terms of sheer variety, we beat every other country in Southeast Asia. That's a tall boast, no doubt, but I'm confident of my assessment.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 06:43   Link #88
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
No kidding? Singapore? For real?

I love my country, warts and all, but I wonder why anyone would go out of the way to visit this little red dot. But hey, if you ever do decide to come here, be sure to try out the food - in terms of sheer variety, we beat every other country in Southeast Asia. That's a tall boast, no doubt, but I'm confident of my assessment.
Really meh? You think Malaysia also don't have is it? Not like I know for sure one lah, I long time never go already...

(Seriously I don't understand why anyone would really want to come here other than for the food though. Culture? We have to resort to prerecorded sounds of firecrackers on Chinatown...)
Old 2008-02-18, 07:06   Link #89
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Food is supposedly tastier in Malaysia, but we beat Malaysia in terms of variety.

Also, we have hawker centres! Malaysia doesn't have those (none that I recall, not even in KL), mweheheheh.
Old 2008-02-18, 07:36   Link #90
Echoes

Scotland. I've always wanted to see it. I'd like to just stroll around the Scottish plains and stuff, and you know, see the Loch Ness monster.

It's a cliche, but I'd love to see the rain forest. I think Brazil would be my favored destination for such an experience, but anywhere along the equator would be fantastic.

I think it would be great to visit the USA as well. I'm not exactly sure where. Alaska sounds great with its wildlife, but it might be too similar to where I've spent the last 19 years of my life to warrant a trip halfway across the globe.
Old 2008-02-18, 09:14   Link #91
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes
It's a cliche, but I'd love to see the rain forest. I think Brazil would be my favored destination for such an experience, but anywhere along the equator would be fantastic.
Slightly off-topic response from me. I experienced a real rainforest —Temburong Jungle in Brunei— back during my officer cadet training in the armed forces years ago.

It was an awesome experience, very different from the secondary jungle commonly seen in Singapore. There was virtually no undergrowth, making it very easy to traverse the terrain (mountain ridges and valleys, on the other hand, make travel complicated). Also, the overhead canopy was so thick that it was cool and dark undercover, in sharp contrast to the biting tropical heat outside the jungle. On the flip side, it got completely pitch black in the dark. You could not see your hand even if you held it out in front of your face. Once night fell, we stopped all movement and set up camp. Unless you're on a night mission, in which case, you better hope you've measured your paces accurately, because that is the only way to measure distance in darkness. Getting lost in a jungle is not a laughing affair...

Even more memorable, the day before one major training mission, we cadets were packing our equipment outside our barracks, and the camp commandant started playing Lenon's "Imagine" on the overhead speakers. It was a poetic moment. Then, at the crack of dawn the next day, we performed our heli-insertion operation. Flying over the jungle in a helicopter with my full pack and M-16 — I felt like an extra in a 'Nam movie.

Okay, enough digression. Here's another good place to visit in Southeast Asia, to get a taste of tropical rainforests — the Taman Negara national park in Malaysia.
Old 2008-02-18, 16:06   Link #92
Echoes

I am envious TinyRedLeaf! So, so envious. That certainly sounds like something you would remember for life. Southeast Asia would be a fantastic destination as well, from what I've seen in documentaries the nature there can be absolutely stunning. I will, nay I must, experience it first-hand at some point in my life. I'd love to see the tiger and orangutans, but they'll probably be virtually extinct by the time I get the chance to visit.
Old 2008-02-18, 16:10   Link #93
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Places i wanna go
Brazil
Russia
Spain
Canada
South Africa
Philippines
Old 2008-04-16, 10:45   Link #94
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

You know, given how AnimeSuki is supposed to be an American forum, I'm surprised there were no requests for information about the US on this particular thread. Well, I have the time and a bit of spare cash, plus I've got a friend living and working in New York and the USD is cheap at the moment (USD 1 = SGD 1.3505). I visited LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon many years ago, and while it might be interesting to see those places again, I'd rather visit the East coast this time round.

Specific things I would like to see and experience:
- a slice of history
- natural scenery
- big city
- small town
- college town

========

Off-hand, I'm thinking of visiting:

New York. Cities don't get bigger than this, I think. It's one of the most "happening" cities in the world other than London and Tokyo. Since I have a friend who's living there at the moment, I might as well use the opportunity.

Boston. Harvard. MIT. Supposedly a liberal/scholarly city full of anoraks? Anyway, I'd love to see it, just to get a feel of what I might have missed when I decided to study in the UK.

Washington D.C. If I'm going to be a tourist, I can't really miss this place, can I?

Philadelphia. Um. For the history. I think. Seems like a nice place to visit, in any case.

Niagara Falls? Er...well, it's in the general area. If I can fit it into my itinerary, I'll go. However, I'd much rather see forests and mountains. A mini-version of the Appalachian Trail that I can do in a day trip would be nice. But I get the feeling that the logistics will be very hard to arrange.

========

I've backpacked the length of Western and Central Europe, trekked in Nepal, visited Japan on my own, but somehow, the thought of visiting the US always makes me nervous. It seems like this big, huge country where I can't get anything done if I don't have a car, which is completely different from all the other places I've visited before.

So, suggestions for how to get around and ideas for value-for-money accomodation (that aren't too skanky) would be a good place to start. I do mean it when I say not too skanky. I'm not a student on a shoestring budget any more, so I don't mind paying just a little bit more to sleep in relative comfort (and safety). I'm thinking of bed & breakfasts, if there are such places in the US. I wouldn't mind youth hostels if they don't impose curfews.

Specific suggestions for natural scenery would be great too. Even better, suggestions of how to get there (other than driving).

And if I really have to drive, what kinds of rental prices am I looking at? I'm not sure I want to do so in the first place, since I've never done left-hand drive before.
Old 2008-04-16, 16:02   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My wife and I (besides wanting to spend a year in Japan and the Pacific Rim countries someway...) would like to visit parts of Europe, specifically the central part in a south-north direction. Basically, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Norway/Sweden. Though my ancestors are Irish/Scots mostly, neither of us has any real desire to actually visit the British Isles, France, or Spain.

@TinyRedLeaf: Bed&Breakfast is a booming trade in the US especially around the prettier parts of the country. Some googling should find you some good travel books on B&B in America. Caveat: American B&B tends to be a more $$$$$ than B&Bs in Europe or family inns in Korea or Japan. They've got a bit of a "yuppy more money than brains" feel to most of them. However, we've really enjoyed the ones we've used in Northern California, the Northwest, and in the Northeast (Mass, Vermont, Maine).

The area around Glouchester, Mass is really nice. The Smithsonian and some of the "sacred monuments" are about all I'd recommend in D.C (that'll take a week if you're a museum buff). I've a very unpleasant opinion of New York City so I'll let someone else address that --- I'd recommend Boston instead for its swirl of Early and Modern America. I'm personally fond of the home of Thomas Jefferson (Monticello) near D.C. in Virginia for pure Revolutionary War Americana.

I'd recommend against renting your own car in big cities. Unfortunately, its the most efficient transportation outside of big cities. Prices vary wildly depending on the type of car and location - also expect them to find multiple ways to gouge you with extra fees.
Old 2008-04-16, 16:38   Link #96
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I'll take this moment to extend an invitation for ppl to visit my state: Alaska! Of course summer is the best time to visit, but for the more adventurous, winter is the way to go I work tourism in the summer, so I figured I should be promoting my home
Who doesn't have a job in the tourism biz during the summer in AK? I remember seeing those tourists being herded like cattle on and off those tour buses when I was a bellman for Princess. And by more adventurous do you mean insane? jk. Actually I think it depends on what part of AK you visit in the winter, 40 below in Fairbanks is obviously no fun.

Oh and I would just like to say how much I hate flying to Fairbanks from Phx becasue the tickets cost way to damn much all the time. I checked just a minute ago and the cheapest ticket was $789

I am going to NYC again on may 1st to the 6th so I can't wait for that since last time was a blast. I got myself a tour book so I would have a better Idea of what to do this time when my friend is at work.

I think NoSanninWa should chime in on what are some hotspots there since he lives somewhere in NY. (according to his profile info anyways.)
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 22:34   Link #97
nanafan
horo fan

i want to see France, Britain, Ireland, all of Africa, Australia...the list goes on.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 02:12   Link #98
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

There's just so many different countries I would like to visit in my lifetime. However, I really want to visit Switzerland, France, Australia, Spain, Greece, Peru, and Italy.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 10:53   Link #99
pcube19622
ho hee~
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to pcube19622
i want to go to venice, Italy.... after watching ARIA~ im so addicted to the gondola and undine thing... and i have to do it fast before it gets flooded by global warming....
part of the reason why is because no cars are allowed to enter and ive never been to europe before...
Old 2008-04-21, 22:32   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You'd have to kind of put blinders on and imagine PRE-motorboat Venice.

Tags
travel