AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-09-23, 19:10   Link #1001
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Not gonna lie, I would have already knocked Bakugo the fuck out, everytime he goes 'i'll kill you you scum' I find myself wanting to punch the tv, and I'm supposed to root for him when he goes 'thats what it means to be a hero'?? Nope, never happening
Old 2017-09-23, 19:16   Link #1002
Twi

Recap/Review here. We finally get some insight into why Izuku admires Bakugo. He never gives up, no matter the odds, which would naturally mean a lot to Izuku who had no Quirk beforehand. Bakugo, on the other hand, sees himself as someone who always has to win to be a great hero. This was what he admired in All Might, in contrast to how Izuku saw him as someone who would always help those in need with a smile on his face.

That shaped the way both of them developed, with Izuku being unwilling to not help someone in trouble and Bakugo being unwilling to back down from a fight. Because of these polar opposite convictions, they struggle to get along, despite the fact that All Might embodies both of these traits perfectly. So, unless they manage to reach a compromise, they’ll never be his equals.

Which is a shame because, if not for Bakugo’s attitude, he’d be a great hero. All Might even states that Bakugo would be a Lv. 50 character while Izuku would be a Lv. 1, hence why Izuku can grow so fast while Bakugo will take more time time. He’s already trained himself up to the extent he’s very good in terms of combat, but his attitude is a problem that will get him killed.

Speaking of All Might, that dude needs to learn to hold back some. All the other teachers aside from him managed to get away without putting down the students too hard, but he straight-up mangled Izuku and Bakugo. It’s telling that he nearly did permanent damage to his own successor with that knee to the spine. Gran Torino was right, he needs to work on his teaching methods. They needed to work on their teamwork, and they did, but they need their spines to be heroes.
Old 2017-09-24, 04:09   Link #1003
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know, does a character really have to have a likable personality to be a likable character? I really like Bakugo's character. He is incredibly consistent. And I really like the fact that people keep misinterpreting him as some kind of dumbass bully, whereas to me he just looks like a guy with severe anger issues and an inferiority complex. Which to me, is like... Totally not what usually describes a bully. Bullies don't have anger issues, and bullies don't have an inferiority complex.

I mean, he did bully Midoriya a lot, and he's not very relatable (not a prerequisite for me to like a character), but that seems to come from frustration rather than from being a bully. Which for me, is a very important distinction to make. A bully's motivation comes from a sense of superiority and entitlement, not inferiority and frustration.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 04:38   Link #1004
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You know, does a character really have to have a likable personality to be a likable character?
No, but in Bakugo's case, I like neither his personality nor his character. Everyone's of course free to make their own opinion.

Quote:
I really like Bakugo's character. He is incredibly consistent. And I really like the fact that people keep misinterpreting him as some kind of dumbass bully, whereas to me he just looks like a guy with severe anger issues and an inferiority complex. Which to me, is like... Totally not what usually describes a bully.
That's funny, because add a troubled home life to explain the anger and inferiority, and to me that is the textbook description of a bully.

Quote:
Bullies don't have anger issues, and bullies don't have an inferiority complex.
That really depend on the bully.

Quote:
I mean, he did bully Midoriya a lot,
Yeah, that is a bit of a dead giveaway that he's a bully. Saying he isn't is like saying "Oh, sure, he's murdered people, but that doesn't make him a murderer. He's not suave and charming enough."

Quote:
and he's not very relatable (not a prerequisite for me to like a character), but that seems to come from frustration rather than from being a bully.
That may be true now, but what's his excuse for his attitude before Deku got into UA? Or before he got taken hostage by a villain, at least?

Quote:
Which for me, is a very important distinction to make.
Is it?

Quote:
A bully's motivation comes from a sense of superiority and entitlement, not inferiority and frustration.
That, again, depends on the bully. Also note that feelings of superiority and inferiority can and often do cohabit in the same individual, and that believing himself awesome because of all the quirk-related compliments he received early on is literally how his character was first explained in the story.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 05:03   Link #1005
Ultragunner

Quote:
You know, does a character really have to have a likable personality to be a likable character? I really like Bakugo's character. He is incredibly consistent. And I really like the fact that people keep misinterpreting him as some kind of dumbass bully, whereas to me he just looks like a guy with severe anger issues and an inferiority complex. Which to me, is like... Totally not what usually describes a bully. Bullies don't have anger issues, and bullies don't have an inferiority complex.

I mean, he did bully Midoriya a lot, and he's not very relatable (not a prerequisite for me to like a character), but that seems to come from frustration rather than from being a bully. Which for me, is a very important distinction to make. A bully's motivation comes from a sense of superiority and entitlement, not inferiority and frustration.
that's a fair point. But on the other hand, I don't have to like a character just because he's consistent.
The bolded part above is essentially Bakugo, no? He behaves like a jerk because he think he's superior to everyone, right? Sure, since coming to UA he's benn made aware that there are other capable people,but it doesn't change his viewpoint

Is there any non-villain character in the series that has purposely hurt Deku just becuase he/she feels like it? Right from the beginning Bakugo burnt Deku's notebook just because he could, then in the latest ep he straight up slapped Deku in the face with brute force. Every time I see Bakugo on screen, it's just unpleasant to watch.

Is Bakugo all about his pride? SMH, I'm not saying he's a bad character writing-wise, but in no way do I like him

In addition, pretty much all I get from Bakugo is how badly he wants to stand above others
Old 2017-09-24, 06:12   Link #1006
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
...*sign*...no matter what, I still can't like Bakugo's character
the way he says "...scum like you..." is quintessential of a bully, or corrupted high born nobles that look down on peasants

Deku is not blameless, either. It's obvious that Bakugo never saw you as friend, yet you keep calling him "Kacchan" as if you guys were close , and you should know that it just pisses him off

And finally All Might, yeah, a bad teacher in full effect there . Well at least he pushed those two to cooperate, so props to him
They were close, and friend as children, the "bullying" doesn't really manifest till Deku was found to be quirkless, as we saw in multiple flashback, when they were playing together.
Old 2017-09-24, 07:56   Link #1007
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I mean, he did bully Midoriya a lot
Then, he's a bully. Period.

He may "grow out of it", but I still haven't seen it, myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 08:57   Link #1008
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Lots of non-bullies bully people. I bet some of you also have. So that argument is kind of garbage. People who "grow out of it" aren't real bullies. Real bullies never do.

Quote:
He behaves like a jerk because he think he's superior to everyone, right? Sure, since coming to UA he's benn made aware that there are other capable people,but it doesn't change his viewpoint
Yeah no. If he actually thought he was superior to everyone, he wouldn't be so angry and loud all the time. He would constantly be scheming for ways to take people he perceives as inferior down a peg or two. But he isn't. He is constantly trying to prove himself. The mere fact that he even has an inferiority complex disqualifies him from being a bully. Hell, the fact that nobody really likes him is another major disqualifier.

And the murderer analogy doesn't even make any sense. The definition of a murderer is "someone who commits murder". "Bully" does not refer to just anyone who bullies someone. Bullying is something almost everyone has done at some point in their life.

Last edited by Dengar; 2017-09-24 at 09:09.
Old 2017-09-24, 09:12   Link #1009
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Lots of non-bullies bully people. I bet some of you also have. So that argument is kind of garbage.
Rude. And I think you must have an unconventional, unreasonable definition of "bully" for someone who spent years habitually bullying people, and hasn't really stopped to this day, to not fit the bill.

Quote:
People who "grow out of it" aren't real bullies. Real bullies never do.
People who grow out of it at best stop being bullies. It doesn't erase what they've done, and what they've done defines what they were.

Quote:
Yeah no. If he actually thought he was superior to everyone, he wouldn't be so angry and loud all the time.
He would and does whenever his superiority isn't sufficiently acknowledged. Which, in his mind, is all the time. Especially since he stepped out of his small pond.

Quote:
He would constantly be scheming for ways to take people he perceives as inferior down a peg or two. But he isn't.
He does. All the time. It's just that the extent of his "schemes" are "yell at people" and "win at contests".

Quote:
He is constantly trying to prove himself.
Which is different how?

Quote:
The mere fact that he even has an inferiority complex disqualifies him from being a bully.
No, it really doesn't. At all. Most often, both IRL and in fiction, bullying is some kind of coping mechanism for insecurity.

Quote:
Hell, the fact that nobody really likes him is another major disqualifier.
Those aren't related at all. And he had followers in middle school, like a stereotypical fictional school bully.

Quote:
And the murderer analogy doesn't even make any sense. The definition of a murderer is "someone who commits murder". "Bully" does not refer to just anyone who bullies someone. Bullying is something almost everyone has done at some point in their life.
Face it. The only reason you don't think he's a bully is that your definition of "bully" is incredibly reductive, and tied more to what you think motivates a bully than to actions.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2017-09-24 at 10:13.
Old 2017-09-24, 09:35   Link #1010
DMurphy

I mean, I like Bakugou, he's easily my favourite character -- but he is a bully. He bullies people, that is the literal definition of what a bully is. Anything else is absurdity bordering on One True Scotsmanism.

It's one of his huge character flaws, and that's kind of what makes him and his arc compelling, I think -- his flaws are the kind of banal flaws you'd expect from a fifteen year old boy. Everyone has known a Bakugou (well, maybe not to the same extent) at some point in their lives.

I don't disagree, either, that he has a huge inferiority complex. I think it's made pretty explicit in the show that he absolutely does, and that he might even kind of dislike his quirk. There is definitely a disparity between what the society he lives in tells him ('you're amazing and your Quirk is the best,') and how he views himself.

There's no doubt in my mind that Bakugou is going to grow out of it -- it's where his entire character arc is leading him, and we've already started to sort of see the beginnings of it. But at the same time, if it happened too quickly, that would be a waste: I want to see that change come slowly, with a lot of struggling and work, rather than it being hyper-condensed.

Much as I like Bakugou, too, I can't really begrudge people for not being keen on him. He is kind of an asshole, after all.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 09:37   Link #1011
Ultragunner

Quote:
Lots of non-bullies bully people. I bet some of you also have. So that argument is kind of garbage. People who "grow out of it" aren't real bullies. Real bullies never do.
the bolded part....I dunno what to say

well sure, I'm not pretending that I have never been a jerk to anyone, and it is a fair bet to say that everyone at some point is an @sshole, but "bullying" is much much more sinister than mere "being a dick".
How long did Deku suffer from Bakugo's behaviour? Not just one or two instances, but it is implied that it had been going throughout middle school.
Yeah, some might "grow out of it (bullying)", but that doesn't justify their past action , it is a fact that Bakugo often bullied and harassed Deku, BOTH verbally and physically just for laugh I'd say.
And in all seriousness, he still hasn't "grown out of it", not in a sense that he feels personally offended whenever Deku raised his voice. It's all fun and hilarious to see Bakugo blows his steam, but it's never funny to see him slapping Deku.

Can you imagine had he done that to Ochako?

IMO, he wouldn't have done that, because she wasn't Deku.
Only for Deku that Bakugo gets that triggered because "I should always be the one above him!"

All in all, there are certainly more to Bakugo's character than a mere thug/bully, but it doesn't excuse him from belonging to that group

well, we may agree to disagree. I just don't enjoy Bakugo as many do, sorry for that

EDIT: I do like Bakugo's interaction with others, it's just that his conduct toward Deku always put a sour taste in my mouth
Old 2017-09-24, 11:31   Link #1012
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Jeez, that's too much. Just... too much. Sorry.

Old 2017-09-24, 14:50   Link #1013
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Lots of non-bullies bully people.
Like... the definition of 'being a bully' is bullying people. I would understand if we were talking about someone who only acted as a bully once, out of frustration or some other negative state of mind, and is otherwise a pleasant, nice person. But Bakugo does nothing but bully Midoriya, all the fucking time. He has no mode other than "angry". He may grow out of it, but that still makes him a bully now. A complex, layered bully character rather than the usual one-dimensional stereotype, but still a bully.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 15:45   Link #1014
Random14

Back before UA I would say Bakugo was a bully- with the way he treated Deku and he even had his own little gang. Now, I'd say Bakugo is less bully and more just very loud and abrasive. To be more specific, I see the schoolyard bully as the tough guy who tries to rule the local playground or at least force everyone to acknowledge him as superior through fear and intimidation. Of course, that kind of social dynamic doesn't work at UA (not with all the strong personalities and powers), but even earlier Bakugo laid off the bullying after Izuku tried to save him from the slime guy. He's still very unfriendly but not actively harassing Izuku was a big change.

Bakugo wants to be number one, but he will prove he's number one. Its his personality that's the problem, again, he's very loud but also very very determined. Its that "heroic willpower" if you will that's Izuku's admired about him for all these years.

I like following Bakugo, which is why I don't mind him getting screentime, he's funny in that "heroic sociopath" way, he's also very competent and strong (and less obnoxious than Mineta). He's close to falling into villain territory (something Aizawa is worried about), yet he's also laser focused on All Might as his ideal goal. He could veer off course at almost any time, most of the class mocks or avoids him (whereas Izuku is actually very popular), but he's still got redeeming qualities. As class B found out, his tenacity shouldn't be underestimated. Bakugo is changing, even just a little bit, and I keep watching to see how far (up or down) he'll go. Well, along with the rest of this great cast too of course.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 15:52   Link #1015
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
I like following Bakugo, which is why I don't mind him getting screentime, he's funny in that "heroic sociopath" way, he's also very competent and strong (and less obnoxious than Mineta).
I'll take Mineta over Bakugo any day. Whenever he gets too obnoxious, something bad will happen to him and take him down a peg. All that happens to Bakugo is that people he doesn't care about aren't terrified of him, which gives him a 5% increase on his base level of anger.
Old 2017-09-25, 01:22   Link #1016
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm not asking people to like him. I'm merely saying that most of you appear to not even understand what a bully even is.

To say that "bullying is just some kind of coping mechanism for insecurity" is the biggest myth that for some reason people just keep perpetuating for some dumb reason, despite the fact that the subject has been studied to death by academics which has proven otherwise. Not only is it stupid, thinking this way does more harm than good and is in fact a disservice to bullying victims everywhere.

It's the type of thinking that leads to parents and teachers alike giving kids "winning" strategies such as "just ignore them" or "try to make friends with them", rather than actually doing something about it. Or even worse, saying it's "just normal kid behavior" or even the victim's own fault for some arbitrary reason.
Old 2017-09-25, 01:35   Link #1017
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I'm not asking people to like him. I'm merely saying that most of you appear to not even understand what a bully even is.
Neither do you. Let's start with "it's someone who habitually bullies people".

Quote:
To say that "bullying is just some kind of coping mechanism for insecurity" is the biggest myth that for some reason people just keep perpetuating for some dumb reason, despite the fact that the subject has been studied to death by academics which has proven otherwise. Not only is it stupid, thinking this way does more harm than good and is in fact a disservice to bullying victims everywhere.

It's the type of thinking that leads to parents and teachers alike giving kids "winning" strategies such as "just ignore them" or "try to make friends with them", rather than actually doing something about it. Or even worse, saying it's "just normal kid behavior" or even the victim's own fault for some arbitrary reason.
They may be stupid strategies, but they're based on the parents / teachers not wanting to make bullying their problem, not the motivations of the bully.
Old 2017-09-25, 05:15   Link #1018
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
...*sign*...no matter what, I still can't like Bakugo's character
the way he says "...scum like you..." is quintessential of a bully, or corrupted high born nobles that look down on peasants

Deku is not blameless, either. It's obvious that Bakugo never saw you as friend, yet you keep calling him "Kacchan" as if you guys were close , and you should know that it just pisses him off
Deku's going to assert his own respect for Kacchan's, even if it angers him; niceness isn't necessarily passive. And Deku is such a nice guy; you don't have to be a punk like Bakugo or Naruto to be a hero, just care enough to put the work and the thought in. In fact I want Deku to show Kacchan one of the benefits of niceness, by getting with Uraraka right now. For a start it would further enrage Bakugo that his rival had effort to spare for love as well as training (of course he doesn't, alas. Deku's such a nice guy he would definitely say yes to Uraraka if she confessed; except that he's such a nice guy he'd refuse, because his mission would stop him treating her with the love she deserves).

Best rival character ever, Bakugo, a furious arrogant thug who gets the motivation insights and success he ought to. In a lesser show he'd have been a standard ineffectual loner refusing to learn the value of friendship. In this ep Midoria needed his aggression, but Bakugo still clearly needed to learn teamwork more, which obviously isn't going to happen overnight. Masterful.

Bakugo is certainly abrasive, but I don't think he's been really tearing down and disparaging Deku's character (except with the generic non-personal insult 'nerd'), since they started at UA, which would really make him hateful. 'I'll crush you' is really a kind of acknowledgment, though they're hardly friendly rivals on Kacchan's side.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2017-09-25 at 06:57.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-25, 06:17   Link #1019
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Oh? Let's go with APA's definition, then, to keep it simple:

Quote:
Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior in which someone intentionally and repeatedly causes another person injury or discomfort. Bullying can take the form of physical contact, words or more subtle actions.
The bullied individual typically has trouble defending him or herself and does nothing to “cause” the bullying.
You can check it out here. Have fun!

Old 2017-09-25, 10:27   Link #1020
grecefar

Ohh I love seeing this thread trashing bakugo, it was about time keep going people

the best of the chapter was all might really getting into his villian side lol.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, super hero, superpowers