AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 16:49   Link #1021
Xion Valkyrie

I find it hard to believe Sony would do anything significantly different from what Microsoft is doing. Their hardware is more expensive than Microsoft's so I doubt they'd be able to price it lower than the XboxOne without taking on a loss that they can't afford.

Their strategies and decisions would have been made a long time ago. There's no way they'd change anything just because of the bad press MS got, especially if a lot of the inner workings were based on deals with the bigger publishers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 16:53   Link #1022
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I find it hard to believe Sony would do anything significantly different from what Microsoft is doing. Their hardware is more expensive than Microsoft's so I doubt they'd be able to price it lower than the XboxOne without taking on a loss that they can't afford.

Their strategies and decisions would have been made a long time ago. There's no way they'd change anything just because of the bad press MS got, especially if a lot of the inner workings were based on deals with the bigger publishers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc.
I agree. They can make some tweaks, but I don't see radical differences... except in the areas of DRM and online gaming, perhaps.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 16:54   Link #1023
GDB

Hardware is similar, if slightly more expensive, but they don't include a mandatory Kinect in each sale. That's about $100 or more right there.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 16:55   Link #1024
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hardware is similar, if slightly more expensive, but they don't include a mandatory Kinect in each sale. That's about $100 or more right there.
Eh... maybe. But I think MS is more willing to eat some cost than SONY.

We don't know what the cost structures of these consoles are yet. Remember when we found out how much each company was losing on each PS3 and X-Box? SONY was willing to, at the time, sell PS3s at a big loss initially, but I am not sure they are now.

Old 2013-06-10, 16:56   Link #1025
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I get the feeling SONY won't go with a price point that... uh... "low." I think they'll match the $499 point.
Kaz sent out a joke tweet about the Xbone's price, so unless he's off his meds today, Sony's likely to hit lower. Probably $450 to be safe.
Old 2013-06-10, 16:57   Link #1026
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Kaz sent out a joke tweet about the Xbone's price, so unless he's off his meds today, Sony's likely to hit lower. Probably $450 to be safe.
I can get on-board with that. I was actually going to say that in my post that you quoted but thought against it.

Old 2013-06-10, 17:05   Link #1027
Xacual

Quote:
Are you talking about the parody account? That's not Kaz.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 17:06   Link #1028
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
This and do remember that this generation's hardware costs really aren't comparable to the previous one. Going for the tried and true X86 architecture with an almost off-the-shelf unit is sure to cut costs off the bill of materials. I've seen estimates of 325 dollars for the PS4 bill of materials (yes, that specific ) so 450 USD sounds like a safe bet but if Sony can hit that sweet spot of 399 and keep the bloody account-based DRM system off the table then they will wipe the floor with Microsoft.
Old 2013-06-10, 17:09   Link #1029
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Are you talking about the parody account? That's not Kaz.
That's a parody account? Had no idea.

Sony should still try for lower though. Especially since MS clearly avoided the elephant in the room with their conference. Take the hit now, reap the benefits in the long run.
Old 2013-06-10, 17:10   Link #1030
Xacual

Quote:
That's a parody account? Had no idea.

Sony should still try for lower though. Especially since MS clearly avoided the elephant in the room with their conference. Take the hit now, reap the benefits in the long run.
Yeah it even says it on the twitter at the top. It's a funny thing to read though.
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO

As long as that is what you were talking about anyway. I haven't heard of any actual tweets though.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 17:13   Link #1031
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
This and do remember that this generation's hardware costs really aren't comparable to the previous one. Going for the tried and true X86 architecture with an almost off-the-shelf unit is sure to cut costs off the bill of materials. I've seen estimates of 325 dollars for the PS4 bill of materials (yes, that specific ) so 450 USD sounds like a safe bet but if Sony can hit that sweet spot of 399 and keep the bloody account-based DRM system off the table then they will wipe the floor with Microsoft.
Are you talking about the Michael Pachter estimate? He only puts the X1 cost at $325 compared to the PS4's $275 but X1 is still debutting for $499. You have to remember that basic component costs don't include the labor required to put the product together, as well as packaging, distribution, and retailer cut.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 17:18   Link #1032
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Eh... maybe. But I think MS is more willing to eat some cost than SONY.

We don't know what the cost structures of these consoles are yet. Remember when we found out how much each company was losing on each PS3 and X-Box? SONY was willing to, at the time, sell PS3s at a big loss initially, but I am not sure they are now.
That does to be an issue due to the fact that the time and hardware being put into these systems, and to try to sell it at a low price can be an issue for companies putting something hi-tech and selling it slightly less. It's true we still don't know the actually price for this systems are yet, so we can't really say much at this time, only speculate.

Oh yes, Ubisofts conference is if anyone is interested.
Old 2013-06-10, 17:24   Link #1033
JagdPanther

Eh, I was going to watch the UbiSoft conference, and have been so far... but I wanna get a few hours of BF3 in before the SONY conference.

And, of course, as soon as I started typing the last sentence, they come to the next-gen console stuff. If they start talking about AC4 in the time it takes me to log onto BF3, then...

Old 2013-06-10, 17:27   Link #1034
Dirty_Harry

South Park Stick Of The Truth finally.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 17:28   Link #1035
JagdPanther

Okay, I am not a big racing game person, but that "The Crew" looks pretty friggin cool even if it was just a pre-rendered trailer.

Old 2013-06-10, 17:34   Link #1036
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Okay, I am not a big racing game person, but that "The Crew" looks pretty friggin cool even if it was just a pre-rendered trailer.
Gameplay is showing right now
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 17:43   Link #1037
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Gameplay is showing right now
lol Of course. I just alt-tabbed out of BF3 to see if AC4 was being shown. Oh well. I'll see it later.

Old 2013-06-10, 17:46   Link #1038
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I got to say the trailer for Watch Dog was really well done. I'll definitely be adding that to my watch list. The best thing I've seen during this whole UbiSoft presentation...for now.
Old 2013-06-10, 17:46   Link #1039
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Like how the crowd became silent when Just Dance 14 is announced.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 17:50   Link #1040
Chase

Plants vs Zombies:Garden Warfare gameplay
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote