AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-01, 16:46   Link #1041
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

what is a "comic" ? ;P
Old 2010-01-06, 15:11   Link #1042
Eak
One angry cloud.

Assuming there wasn't a chapter last week?

EDIT: 1/8/10: Nevermind, found out on onemanga that there wasn't a chapter.

Last edited by Eak; 2010-01-08 at 15:24.
Old 2010-01-10, 13:41   Link #1043
ZODDGUTS

Hey guys new rankings out guess which medicore series got cut.

Quote:
Issue 7 Bottom 5
Medaka
Kanata
Rilenthal
Neko Wappa
Ane Dokii (out)

Issue 8
Lead CP: Psyren
CP: Nurarihyon, Beelzebub, Medaka

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showt...=55629&page=25
But but the tank sales! Try harder next time Kawashita you could do better than this.
Old 2010-01-10, 13:56   Link #1044
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

I think she messed up with making it into another unnecessary harem. It was just fine before bringing in Chiaki and whatever came after it. That and I think they canceled this without even bothering to wait for volume one's feedback since these mangaka are 3-4 weeks ahead and Volume one just came out at that point. Kawashita needs to get a writer and just do the drawings or move to another mag. I wouldn't be surprised if we see her pop up in Jump SQ or something.

Jump shafts the romance crowd with this move while making its obsession with Kuroko even more messed up. Both were the sole survivors of their respective genre. Only Kawashita sold more with far less color whoring.
Old 2010-01-10, 14:00   Link #1045
Iron21

Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

Old 2010-01-10, 14:11   Link #1046
Jze0
Hmmm...

It was only a matter of time before they would pull the plug on this... its kind of a shame. I would of liked to see a little bit more but with the sudden developments that were happening and Sakurai out of the picture maybe it is best to end it. Better luck next time Kawashita Mizuki, I think you'll need it if you plan on having another series on Jump.
Old 2010-01-10, 14:48   Link #1047
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Still can't believe MB is holding on while series after series is getting cut. Nishio must really be working those lips of his hard on the editors behinds.

I think what killed her is a combination of WSJ's bias against romance mangas (notice that there's not a single one in the manga now-- EVERYTHING is action or sports now) and the fact that the whole 13 year old/17 year old angle probably just didn't work for them. Next time, she'll need to keep the characters around the same age and get rid of the whole multi-relationship thing for HL and stick with what she's good at.... in another magazine.

Look as WSM... it's got not one, but two good romance mangas in it. Though, after Tiji-kun, I don't trust them either.
Old 2010-01-10, 15:02   Link #1048
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I think what killed her is a combination of WSJ's bias against romance mangas (notice that there's not a single one in the manga now)
What are you talking about? Isn't Medaka Box romance ~ XD

A theory that is being thrown around is that while Ane Doki did sell well, it probably didn't sell as well as they wanted it to considering that Kawashita is a well established author already.
Old 2010-01-10, 15:06   Link #1049
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Still can't believe MB is holding on while series after series is getting cut. Nishio must really be working those lips of his hard on the editors behinds.
Medaka is following the path of Sket Dance, Psyren, and Mago. There is already precedent for a series always having something else doing worse than it poll-wise when cancellation season rolls around. And Ane-doki had the bad luck of being dead last for 5-6 consecutive weeks when that time came around.

I wouldn't call it editor influence. It isn't like Kuroko or Beelzebub which kept getting colors constantly and even more so then One Piece or Naruto.

Quote:
I think what killed her is a combination of WSJ's bias against romance mangas (notice that there's not a single one in the manga now-- EVERYTHING is action or sports now) and the fact that the whole 13 year old/17 year old angle probably just didn't work for them. Next time, she'll need to keep the characters around the same age and get rid of the whole multi-relationship thing for HL and stick with what she's good at.... in another magazine.

Look as WSM... it's got not one, but two good romance mangas in it. Though, after Tiji-kun, I don't trust them either.
To be fair, there is a bias against sports manga too. Jump debuted at least a dozen in the past 4 years or so. The only one that has survived is Kuroko and that has more to do with the color whoring and Jump having some kind of obsession with the series. Even so, there is only one sports series in Jump. The bias is more in favor of the action genre but that is what WSJ is mainly known for anyway.

I'll agree that she has been screwed twice now in her past 2 series. She is starting to remind me of Kano(Mx0 and Pretty face).
Old 2010-01-10, 15:15   Link #1050
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
Medaka is following the path of Sket Dance, Psyren, and Mago. There is already precedent for a series always having something else doing worse than it poll-wise when cancellation season rolls around. And Ane-doki had the bad luck of being dead last for 5-6 consecutive weeks when that time came around.

I wouldn't call it editor influence. It isn't like Kuroko or Beelzebub which kept getting colors constantly and even more so then One Piece or Naruto.

To be fair, there is a bias against sports manga too. Jump debuted at least a dozen in the past 4 years or so. The only one that has survived is Kuroko and that has more to do with the color whoring and Jump having some kind of obsession with the series. Even so, there is only one sports series in Jump. The bias is more in favor of the action genre but that is what WSJ is mainly known for anyway.

I'll agree that she has been screwed twice now in her past 2 series. She is starting to remind me of Kano(Mx0 and Pretty face).
Well, they did have ES21 until recently, too.

I just wish they'd get better quality mangas. They keep adding in new comedy and action mangas that keep failing really quickly. With the exception of TLR, which ended early on its own, everything that's been cut in the past year has been new mangas that debuted.

@Kurosu: Oh, man, how I wish MB had romance in it like the one shot proclaimed it would. :P That was one of the reasons behind my anti-romance bias from the editor's of WSJ. When it got serialized they seem to have killed it in favor of action, randomness and lots of weirdness (though I'm happy that Zen gets to actually take the stage for once next chapter).
Old 2010-01-10, 15:17   Link #1051
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Should Ane Doki be cut I hope Kawashita leaves it open and the series is picked up after a time skip on a monthly or bi-weekly publication. Young Animal would be best if you ask me. She has the talent to draw wonderfully but her writing requires more time.
Old 2010-01-10, 15:25   Link #1052
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Should Ane Doki be cut I hope Kawashita leaves it open and the series is picked up after a time skip on a monthly or bi-weekly publication. Young Animal would be best if you ask me. She has the talent to draw wonderfully but her writing requires more time.
Don't think that she'll be able to. WSJ own the rights to the mangas, so she couldn't take it elsewhere. I do agree that I think she'd be better off in a magazine that's more lenient and less action-focused-- something with an older shounen audience like WSM, especially if she wants to keep experimenting like she did was HL and AD. But it does seem like most of the people who like shounen romances are older. Heck, every person in the GE fangroup on onemanga.com is 20 or older, with the exception of a couple.
Old 2010-01-10, 15:27   Link #1053
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

I mentioned many times before, Kawashita better move away from generic-kiddie-jump... - WSM would be too good to be true, but i guess jump would even keep her contracted just for the sake of not losing more ground to wsm than they already have.
Old 2010-01-10, 15:36   Link #1054
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Well, they did have ES21 until recently, too.

I just wish they'd get better quality mangas. They keep adding in new comedy and action mangas that keep failing really quickly. With the exception of TLR, which ended early on its own, everything that's been cut in the past year has been new mangas that debuted.

@Kurosu: Oh, man, how I wish MB had romance in it like the one shot proclaimed it would. :P That was one of the reasons behind my anti-romance bias from the editor's of WSJ. When it got serialized they seem to have killed it in favor of action, randomness and lots of weirdness (though I'm happy that Zen gets to actually take the stage for once next chapter).
Eyeshield was already several years old though. It came the year after Bleach I think and was more or less already finished by the time 2009 rolled around. But when you compare 1-2 sports to 8-10 action and one romance you can see how skewed everything is.

Well, with 2008 being a big year(Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Psyren) and Sket Dance from 2007 surviving, it made it harder for some series to get in. At least until DGM, Neuro, ES21, and To Love Ru moved or ended. But really, WSJ newbies just have a high fatality rate. WSJ pretty much just throws shit at the wall and hopes it sticks most of the time. Ane Doki just stopped sticking after a while.

Quote:
Don't think that she'll be able to. WSJ own the rights to the mangas, so she couldn't take it elsewhere. I do agree that I think she'd be better off in a magazine that's more lenient and less action-focused-- something with an older shounen audience like WSM, especially if she wants to keep experimenting like she did was HL and AD. But it does seem like most of the people who like shounen romances are older. Heck, every person in the GE fangroup on onemanga.com is 20 or older, with the exception of a couple.
Well, she could possibly move it to another magazine if it still belongs to Shueisha but this looks like an outright cancellation. Otherwise, it might not be bad to see Kawashita in Weekly Young Jump(Seinen) or Jump SQ(Shounen).

Considering it was the older crowd that kept To Love Ru going as long as it did, I'd say you are right in terms of most of the recent shounen romances being backed by older readers.
Old 2010-01-10, 16:31   Link #1055
Freeter
beyond

Final chapter already...maybe they'll run away together or Natsuki's parents will intervene somehow. Pretty sure there will be a timeskip.

Maybe Kawashita should get a writer for her next project and just handle the art. And if that doesn't work, just do Nishino 200% and milk what's left of that tired franchise.
Old 2010-01-10, 18:46   Link #1056
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
But TLR also proves that even in WSJ as unfreindly for romance as it is - it's possible to survive for a long period - you just have to be good at what you do.

Kawshita is good at drawing yet her story telling is quite questionable as are her characters (lack of depth, one-sides, seem like to be a re-used versions from older manga's). She does not seem to know what pleases the crowd too. The only one she survived long was when she changed her story following more the popularity polls rather than having any plan (Ichigo 100%) in all other cases it ended up with a crash.

Maybe she should really get herself a writer... Because it is obvious that she does not do too well in this field.

Quote:
One word - license. Shueisha holds her manga rights so she won't be able to move it to Young Animal as it looks like cancellation so other Shueisha magazines seem to be out of the question too while license will prevent moving it to any other magazine than the Shueisha ones.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2010-01-10 at 19:00.
Old 2010-01-10, 19:02   Link #1057
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Kawashita needs to go back to traditoinal high school romance harems and stop trying to do stuff like Hatsukoi, Ane Doki, and Lilium.
Old 2010-01-10, 19:04   Link #1058
lixuelai

Lol @ Medaka being romance. If ever there was a manga where the main male and female character had less chemistry together I would be so surprised. Sure they are osananajimi but there is nothing romantic between the two. Maybe it changed in the more recent chapters but I somehow doubt it.
Old 2010-01-10, 19:27   Link #1059
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I guess I'll hope that if she does do a new series that it'll be in a different publication.

And TLR lasted so long because it was a pure ecchi comedy - there was barely any romance past the first few volumes. It would still be ongoing if the author didn't have personal issues to attend to.
Old 2010-01-10, 21:11   Link #1060
Xagzan

Quote:
I guess I'll hope that if she does do a new series that it'll be in a different publication.

And TLR lasted so long because it was a pure ecchi comedy - there was barely any romance past the first few volumes. It would still be ongoing if the author didn't have personal issues to attend to.
Although I'm starting to question the extent of his issues, since it really hasn't been that long since TLR ended and he's already out with a oneshot and drawing for a new series.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen