AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-02-18, 22:54   Link #1081
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Uh, about this "they should've added a new race or two", I believe a Blizzard spokesman did say that they may consider adding a new race in one of the expansions.

They came close to it in WC3:TFT, with the Naga as a campaign-only playable race.
Tokkan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 23:10   Link #1082
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Around 26 to 30 missions per campaign.

For comparison, the average Starcraft campaign was around 10 missions I believe. That's triple the game. Don't mind if I drool.
Basically one 'expansion' of SC2 has as much storyline content as the full game of StarCraft or Brood War.
Old 2009-02-18, 23:14   Link #1083
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Such is progress....and ten years to write in one's spare time.
Old 2009-02-18, 23:18   Link #1084
Dansickle
Needs more T-Pain
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Dansickle
I don't know why they'd add a fourth race, it just doesn't make sense. The story is pretty well defined as it stands and adding a fourth race just further complicates balance issues (which have and still do plague TFT's 4 race system). I think three works best for story, game balance and still gives you variety.

Now Playing:
Goal Line Blitz, Starcraft (entering iCCup season 9)

(Largely) Retired:
DotA, Madden '09, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Melty Blood, CS1.6, CS:S, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, Guild Wars, DAoC, Warhammer Online, Left4Dead, TF2, Halo 1
Dansickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 23:28   Link #1085
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is not like they've hinted at there being one more race out there. The one responcible for the Zerg and Protoss to some extent. How they maybe a balanced playable race, or maybe they are an overpowering non-playable race. We don't know for sure.

They could be an "Old Gods/Titans" like race for all we really know.

Then there is the hybrid race...which may be the same thing...of the Protass and Zerg.

And despite is being an April Fool's joke, I sort of want Tauren Marines. Two legged chaingun using bovine tanks.
Old 2009-02-18, 23:41   Link #1086
Tokkan

Tauren Marines have been confirmed to be available in the map editor.
Old 2009-02-18, 23:53   Link #1087
brocko

Whao, pretty massive updates and a buttload of new info this past day. Absolutely loving the new zerg models! And all these new abilities that they've introduced (dark pylons for one) sound interesting too!

StarCraft II Q&A [Batch 49]
Multiple Forum Updates from Blizzard Staff

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 00:02   Link #1088
krisslanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It is not like they've hinted at there being one more race out there. The one responcible for the Zerg and Protoss to some extent. How they maybe a balanced playable race, or maybe they are an overpowering non-playable race. We don't know for sure.

They could be an "Old Gods/Titans" like race for all we really know.

Then there is the hybrid race...which may be the same thing...of the Protass and Zerg.

And despite is being an April Fool's joke, I sort of want Tauren Marines. Two legged chaingun using bovine tanks.
The Xel'Naga you mean? They'd be a... Unique idea to say the least. Not to mention the Protoss/Zerg hybrids.

I'd feel they might suit more as 'minor' races. That is akin to like Critters in WC. You couldn't actually play as them but they might function as an enemy force in some campaign level or some such.
Old 2009-02-19, 00:11   Link #1089
brocko

Enemy critters worked in WC3 because of the experience and hero system. I definitely wouldn't want to see anything like that in SC2, it'd serve no point imo (attacking critters i mean). If you meant for them to be campaign enemies and campagin playable or as such i totally agree 100%, that'd be the best way to introduce a new race I believe.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 00:11   Link #1090
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
The Xel'Naga you mean? They'd be a... Unique idea to say the least. Not to mention the Protoss/Zerg hybrids.

I'd feel they might suit more as 'minor' races. That is akin to like Critters in WC. You couldn't actually play as them but they might function as an enemy force in some campaign level or some such.
You mean creeps, critters are non-combatant.
Old 2009-02-19, 01:06   Link #1091
krisslanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
You mean creeps, critters are non-combatant.
Err yeah You knew what I meant

@borcko: That's what I meant. You couldn't play them competitively (maybe on a custom map or something) but you could fool around with them in like single player.
Old 2009-02-19, 01:13   Link #1092
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

These new base abilities IMO are really good. It lets casuals just sit there and mass and fight, while it still has that "micromanaging base gives advantage" that pro players so desire.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 02:09   Link #1093
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansickle View Post
I don't know why they'd add a fourth race, it just doesn't make sense. The story is pretty well defined as it stands and adding a fourth race just further complicates balance issues (which have and still do plague TFT's 4 race system). I think three works best for story, game balance and still gives you variety.
Don't ask for source for the following, because it's super-old and I won't be able to find it.

Anyway, Warcraft III was originally supposed to have 5 races. In addition to the current 4, there was supposed to be the Burning Legion, a race of demons. Units like the Dreadlord were supposed to be with the demons, but the race was eventually scrapped. When this news was revealed, one of the devs basically said that since WC2 had 2 races, SC had 3, and WC3 now had 4, SC2 would have 5 and they'd have a happy pattern.

The real reason SC2 probably doesn't have 5 races (+Hybrids and Xel'Naga) is because the design team is totally different. The lead designer, for example, hasn't worked on any Blizzard RTS's before. In fact, he made stuff like Battle for Middle Earth... snooze.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 02:16   Link #1094
Tokkan

No, Warcraft 3 was originally envisioned to have 6 races. But when they couldn't think of a 6th, they dropped it to 5. And then the 5th (Burning Legion) was scrapped because they had trouble thinking about how they could balance 5 races.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2009-02-19 at 02:30.
Old 2009-02-19, 02:57   Link #1095
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
No, Warcraft 3 was originally envisioned to have 6 races. But when they couldn't think of a 6th, they dropped it to 5. And then the 5th (Burning Legion) was scrapped because they had trouble thinking about how they could balance 5 races.
I think they probably had an idea for the sixth, but dropped it early in development. I really doubt they would announce an arbitrary number of races when they hadn't even though of them yet. Also, in addition to balance issues, they decided that keeping the demons as NPCs would allow them to make them stronger and scarier for the campaign.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 06:52   Link #1096
Dansickle
Needs more T-Pain
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Dansickle
I know WC3 was supposed to have more races, but that doesn't really have much to do with my comment. I was just using WC3's 4 race system and its balance issues as an example for why they should stick to three.

Now Playing:
Goal Line Blitz, Starcraft (entering iCCup season 9)

(Largely) Retired:
DotA, Madden '09, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Melty Blood, CS1.6, CS:S, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, Guild Wars, DAoC, Warhammer Online, Left4Dead, TF2, Halo 1
Dansickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 22:07   Link #1097
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

BTW Rob Clotworthy and Glynnis Talken aren't returning to voice Raynor/Kerri.

WTF Blizz, WTF...
Old 2009-03-07, 23:12   Link #1098
Nosauz

really? VA's for blizz games have never been what I've focused on. I hope they keep stimpacks because I just love the sound when marines use em... "tzzzz awww yeaahhh"
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 05:54   Link #1099
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Glynnis is pretty well known by Blizz fans. She's the Rogue in Diablo, for starters.

Still, English VAs don't interest me the way seiyu does. Would be looking forrward to the (probably) kick ass campaign.
Old 2009-03-08, 06:52   Link #1100
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
BTW Rob Clotworthy and Glynnis Talken aren't returning to voice Raynor/Kerri.

WTF Blizz, WTF...
Any idea why they aren't returning? It doesn't necessarily have to be Blizzard's call, you know. It could also be that those two refused the job, or were asking for abnormal payments.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows