AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-09, 22:05   Link #1101
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
I'd be surprised if there's a particularly elaborate story for Yuuko, although you never know.

Structurally, her purpose is the same as Himura's - that is, to tie the various love stories together. According to minori, ef comprises of four principal chapters out of a total of six (Prologue, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4, Epilogue?), so some kind of epilogue revolving around Yuuko and Yuu will certainly be presented. However, I'm not expecting any lengthy developments, even if a few surprising revelations may be in store.
I'm not sure she's entirely human at this point actually...

But she's certainly a lot more interesting than any of the other characters we've seen by far.

From the opening sequence in the game at least, it looks like her ending will be rather bittersweet - with probably some sort of happy reunion after the credits.
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 16:33   Link #1102
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It has probably been posted here before, when we were discussing this point, but someone on Megatokyo posted this article about amnesia that makes it clear Chihiro's condition, bizarre as it is, is possible in real life.

As for Yuu and Yuuko, the other characters are so deeply interesting to me that I really don't care whether I find out more about them or not. My heart is already full. The dea ex machina Yuuko has so far just been more of a mystical decoration than essential to the plot, in my opinion.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 17:25   Link #1103
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It has probably been posted here before, when we were discussing this point, but someone on Megatokyo posted this article about amnesia that makes it clear Chihiro's condition, bizarre as it is, is possible in real life.
It's called anterograde amnesia. Chihiro is lucky to have 13 hours, since some of these people's memory spans are measured in minutes and have been like this for decades (imagine looking into the mirror and seeing a 50 year old version of yourself, Chihiro's crash has got nothing on that). Props to the original scenario writer for accurately depicting this. She retains her writing skills honed to professional level, but can't remember events about the past.

According to Wiki on ef, Yuuko hasn't even been fleshed out in the game, so don't count on it.
Old 2007-12-11, 06:13   Link #1104
zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Spoiler for episode 10:
Spoiler for episode 10:

Last edited by zoot; 2007-12-11 at 07:20. Reason: reverted edit (it's late; it was right to begin with)
zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 06:42   Link #1105
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoot View Post
Spoiler for episode 10:
Spoiler for ep 10 ?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoot
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Old 2007-12-11, 07:38   Link #1106
zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Spoiler for ep 10 ?:
Spoiler for ep 10 ?:

Quote:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Spoiler for ep9+10:

Quote:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Old 2007-12-11, 07:57   Link #1107
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Old 2007-12-11, 08:24   Link #1108
zoot

Quote:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Old 2007-12-11, 08:48   Link #1109
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Spoiler for ep9+10:
Spoiler for ep 10:

Spoiler for Countdown from 100:
Old 2007-12-11, 08:50   Link #1110
zoot

Spoiler for ep 7:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Spoiler for ep 10:
Spoiler for ep 10:

(I wish this forum software could spoiler tag a whole subthread.)
Old 2007-12-11, 09:29   Link #1111
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

There is no need to spoiler tag information from episodes that have been fansubbed already

Quote:
(What, it wasn't blank then. I'm just blind, then.)

Reexamining, this adds some depth in the other direction: given Miyako's fear of disappearing, it explains how serious of a threat this would be to her; it may have been what triggered the breakdown in ep 7.

(Of course, I might be misinterpreting. The sub I had said "I will wipe you out"--that seems like a reasonable smoothing over of the original line. Maybe someone with more experience at the language can confirm or correct the more literal interpretation, "I will erase your existence".)
Exactly - these exact words said by Kei, while obviously overdramatized, were the trigger of Miyako's insecurity that eventually led to her breakdown. As you have noticed she has been keeping distance from close contact with other people ever since she got abandoned by her parents. Hiro is the first person she has approached in years, but the words said by Kei triggered her abandonment issues - the thought she might get abandoned by Hiro. Coupled with the fact Hiro was not answering her phone calls this led to her breakdown in ep7. Yes, it is not "logical" to think he would actually abandon her just like that, but she can't help it - breakdowns are not something one can chose to control.

That said, saying she is "crazy" or "nuts" is stepping over the line and heavily exaggerating the gravity of her situation. She has her issues regarding a specific subject, but as we can see it is far from the norm for her and got triggered only once (and she got over it very quickly) , during very specific circumstances. She falls absurdly short of any actual mental disorder.

(On a side note - please don't double post - use the edit button if you want to add something to your previous posts).
Old 2007-12-11, 09:35   Link #1112
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Skyfall just explained my point much better. Being "insane" is caused by internal factors, such as brain chemistry. Miyako was merely reacting to her circumstances the way any normal human being would.
Old 2007-12-11, 09:39   Link #1113
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm not saying it's not explained, but explained nuts is still nuts. I think (re: previous message) the corrected threat mitigates this, though: she may not be "nuts" ordinarily, but rather it was set off by the threat that probably hit more deeply than expected.
Pardon me if I sound rude, but I'm wondering if you are using the literal definition of "nuts/crazy/mad".
Overreaction on some simtuli is hardly a component of madness and such. This is the usual kind of reaction any person can do, because of a dark/heavy past or note. Heck, this kind of actions can be related more on Neurosis, which affect most people, even for the slightest "ritual" or habit here and there. (order/cleaning mania, specific scheldule, etc)

Madness would actually mean Miyako completely lost it, which is absolutely not the case considering the episodes. Though complete psychological breakdown can be originated from the body or severe psychological disorder, the actions and the state of mind are almost irreversible broken, and obvious troubles and erratic behaviour are shown. In Miyako's case, she is reacting to some stimuli, nothing much proving a possible altered psyche or anything of that sort.

Again, the way how it is executed might disrupt how the characters feel: it emphasis how Miyako was in despair, but it certainly not demonstrate any "nuts behaviour" here and there. Otherwise, we can claim Kyousuke was nuts, hiro and kei as well.
Old 2007-12-11, 10:40   Link #1114
zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Pardon me if I sound rude, but I'm wondering if you are using the literal definition of "nuts/crazy/mad".
I mean "she's got some serious issues". (Leaving 99 messages on voicemail because you're not answering qualifies, for me.) I don't mean "clinically insane". I guess the colloquial use of these words is different for us.

I'll forego a five-message debate about our personal nuances of "nuts" if you will, since I'm feeling thread fatigue. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Exactly - these exact words said by Kei, while obviously overdramatized, were the trigger of Miyako's insecurity that eventually led to her breakdown.
I meant that the translation I watched (C-M) lost the connection to Miyako's issues for me. I only made the connection when I paid attention to the original dialog. It's an understandable translation miss, since the nuance (and consequences) of the line weren't clear at that point. Out of curiosity, does anyone have the Nuke and/or Aquastar translations of that one for comparison?

Quote:
There is no need to spoiler tag information from episodes that have been fansubbed already
OK. I tend to err liberal because we're bouncing between episodes, and I don't want to remove a tag and then forget to re-add it when we bounce forward again, since I might not notice it happen ...
Quote:
(On a side note - please don't double post - use the edit button if you want to add something to your previous posts).
I didn't do this because it's an easy way for people to miss messages, since it bypasses the whole last-read and email notification systems, but if that's convention here then OK.
Old 2007-12-11, 11:04   Link #1115
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
I mean "she's got some serious issues". (Leaving 99 messages on voicemail because you're not answering qualifies, for me.) I don't mean "clinically insane". I guess the colloquial use of these words is different for us.
colloquial use of the word is fine in informal environment, but when doing some form of character analysis it is bound to get the wrong message across. (especially when people whom you are talking to don't know how serious you are being with said word or what implications you assign to it during casual speech)

Quote:
I meant that the translation I watched (C-M) lost the connection to Miyako's issues for me. I only made the connection when I paid attention to the original dialog. It's an understandable translation miss, since the nuance (and consequences) of the line weren't clear at that point. Out of curiosity, does anyone have the Nuke and/or Aquastar translations of that one for comparison?
I am not sure i understand what you are referring to, but ... the show has never out right told us (meaning with dialog said by someone) about this connection. It is something you need to gather on your own while watching the show (Though it is hard to make signals more glaringly obvious than this i believe ). So it is not the subbers fault of "not making the connection"- they translated everything as it was, it is up to you to pick up the psychological (or otherwise) implications of the events.
Old 2007-12-11, 11:18   Link #1116
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

I'll forego a five-message debate about our personal nuances of "nuts" if you will, since I'm feeling thread fatigue.
I don't see how a word like "nuts" should be variable from people, considering how the word is, especially you also said the word "crazy". You are obviously playing with words, and you definitely claimed Miyako was "deranged" (for another better word i assume) considering the phone call. Basing on your emphasis with "serious issues", you pretty much consider her as abnormal. While her reactions might were overboard, having troubles and psychological scars don't equate to "abnormal" person. That's why I involved the other characters related to the triangle, as if Miyako is considered as "having serious troubles", the others (especially kei) aren't spared either, though most people would agree they are "sane". Let alone, Chihiro's outburst are much worse, but they are completely normal. Surely you wouldn't call her nuts, would you?

I was only demonstrating that she isn't, and even using remotely slang term, she would hardly fit in the category of "berserk" "overboard" character and such.
If i had to use my opinion, she would be considered as emotional and quite affected by her past, nothing fancier than this.
Old 2007-12-11, 15:01   Link #1117
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Why are we still arguing about Miyako's mental instability and her 99 messages?

Honestly, at this point if anyone doesn't agree, please just accept that they NEVER WILL! You do know what they say about arguing on the internet, right?

Please let the pointless argument stop. It is monopolizing the entire thread and drowning out all other disussion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 18:21   Link #1118
zoot

(snipping semantics argument; I don't agree, but let's drop it)

Quote:
I am not sure i understand what you are referring to, but ... the show has never out right told us (meaning with dialog said by someone) about this connection. It is something you need to gather on your own while watching the show (Though it is hard to make signals more glaringly obvious than this i believe ). So it is not the subbers fault of "not making the connection"- they translated everything as it was, it is up to you to pick up the psychological (or otherwise) implications of the events.
I'm referring to the line that got a pre-OP repeat in ep 6 for emphasis: "anata no sonzai wo keshite miseru". The implications were lost in translation for me: the translation didn't make the implication that the original line did.

I'm not picking on the fansubbers; smoothing over of translations is necessary with J/E translation, and they're translating the show as it comes out, so recognizing the important nuances in advance is hard. I'm wondering if the Aquastar translation made the connection, since their release of ep 6 was after C-F's release of ep 7.
Old 2007-12-11, 18:27   Link #1119
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Last edited by Ichigo91; 2007-12-11 at 19:57.
Ichigo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 15:29   Link #1120
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There is an interview on YouTube with the voice actresses for (l-r) Kei (Okada Junko), Miyako (Taguchi Hiroko), and Chihiro (Yanase Natsumi):

I think all three of them are excellent in this show. Yanase and Taguchi are veteran ero-game seiyuus. Okada is married to the chief producer at minori, the company which makes the ef games. All three are in their thirties.

I have made a fuller blog post about them.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft