AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-20, 05:07   Link #1121
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Wait, where does it say supercavitating torps were invented after World War 2? I thought the liner notes had them being invented more or less around the late cold war? (If not the 90s, since IIRC that's when the Shkval saw deployment.)

...which, mind, is technically post Cold War.

Also, with regards to nukes, even if things progressed similarly, the idea of using nukes on sea targets hasn't had much traction, outside of nuclear torpedoes used by the US and the Soviets (the first ASROC carried a nuclear torp as payload; current Vertical Launch ASROC deploys a Mk 50 torp instead). IIRC Soviets also had nuclear torpedoes intended as antiship weapons.

All these weren't produced with the same amount of focus as SLBMs and ICBMs, which were targeted at land targets, simply because ballistic missiles lack the homing and on the fly targeting updates you need to go after surface ships.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 06:06   Link #1122
Tenzen12

You might be right about that, yet I think if nothing else it is POSSIBLE that naval armament replaced nuclear one in arpeggio verse . Of course it is only one of explanations why nukes aren't mentioned in manga even though they are obvious and classic choice in battle ovepowered alliens

Anyway even if there isn't any tradition adapt nukes for naval warfare isn't realy diffifuct, you just put warhead on already existing medium. And even if Fog could intercept standart one, it would be little problem lure them into nuclear minefield or set explosion of torpedos/missiles before they are intercepted so it caucht Ships in it anyway. Don't forget fog decided emulate humans for their creativity...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 11:30   Link #1123
synx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Wait, where does it say supercavitating torps were invented after World War 2? I thought the liner notes had them being invented more or less around the late cold war? (If not the 90s, since IIRC that's when the Shkval saw deployment.)

...which, mind, is technically post Cold War.

Also, with regards to nukes, even if things progressed similarly, the idea of using nukes on sea targets hasn't had much traction, outside of nuclear torpedoes used by the US and the Soviets (the first ASROC carried a nuclear torp as payload; current Vertical Launch ASROC deploys a Mk 50 torp instead). IIRC Soviets also had nuclear torpedoes intended as antiship weapons.

All these weren't produced with the same amount of focus as SLBMs and ICBMs, which were targeted at land targets, simply because ballistic missiles lack the homing and on the fly targeting updates you need to go after surface ships.
Soviet anti-ship missiles were designed with nuclear capability. However, most were (officially) not fitted with nukes.

Also, Soviet standard doctrine was to use a submarine loaded with nuclear torpedoes to sink a US carrier battle group.
synx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 15:40   Link #1124
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Whoa, so Kongo is up next? I thought for sure she was the last one to fight? Maybe the last battle will be against 400 and 402?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 20:59   Link #1125
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
You might be right about that, yet I think if nothing else it is POSSIBLE that naval armament replaced nuclear one in arpeggio verse . Of course it is only one of explanations why nukes aren't mentioned in manga even though they are obvious and classic choice in battle ovepowered alliens
That's true, though again that's partly due to Japan's nuclear taboo/trauma... but I think it's also just as likely that Earth's nuclear powers shot their loads. Ah well, at the end of the day the result is the same.

Quote:
Anyway even if there isn't any tradition adapt nukes for naval warfare isn't realy diffifuct, you just put warhead on already existing medium. And even if Fog could intercept standart one, it would be little problem lure them into nuclear minefield or set explosion of torpedos/missiles before they are intercepted so it caucht Ships in it anyway. Don't forget fog decided emulate humans for their creativity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by synx View Post
Soviet anti-ship missiles were designed with nuclear capability. However, most were (officially) not fitted with nukes.

Also, Soviet standard doctrine was to use a submarine loaded with nuclear torpedoes to sink a US carrier battle group.
Fuck. Me. I had completely forgotten about the Shipwrecks. -_- And yes, Soviets did train have their subs ambush ships with conventional and nuclear torps, and also firing off nukes here and there...

Also, at the start of the series, randomness - you can see all those Aegis DDGs firing off what are visibly Standard SM-2 missiles. While these are SAMs, guys I know who're USN tell me that the US Navy does have a secondary antiship role for the Standard; it's a semi-active homing missile, so it goes where the ship's radar tells it to go, and while it's not exactly a shipkiller like the Harpoon, a missile weighing 1000lbs traveling at Mach 2 is still going to put a lot of hurt on any ship it hits... it's just that unfortunately, Klein Fields.

But in a way, The Fog are kinda like having 36 Mammoth Tanks. You don't need much in the way of strategy if you have 36 Mammoths.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 10:49   Link #1126
D-Joe

Find one ep8 preview(and the picture is very small)
And official site post ep 11&12 title
Spoiler for EP8:

Spoiler for Ep 11&12 title:
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 11:41   Link #1127
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
I thought one of the reasons it's spelled as "Iona" was how you would read its name in Japanese.

I would think that I'd read it as 伊401 at first, so I could deduce that I'd get I-yo (い・よ) from it - but then I can't get where the "na" comes from.

It's just what I had in thought but then again I might have been thinking wrongly.
I think you're nearly there. 伊401 can also be read as i-yo-on-i (not the correct way though), which sounds quite similar to i-yo-na (or Iona for short). The 'ona' might be just a wordplay on the 'on-i' since it sounds better for a name that way.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 14:09   Link #1128
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Fuck. Me. I had completely forgotten about the Shipwrecks. -_- And yes, Soviets did train have their subs ambush ships with conventional and nuclear torps, and also firing off nukes here and there...
Ahh yes.. quite possibly the most fitting NATO code name ever: Named for the intended result.

Also, as some other people have pointed out, I suspect the simple answer given that this is an anime is the nuclear weapons taboo. That said, if nukes were deployed, I believe the wiki states that
Spoiler for manga spoilers based on wiki.:
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 14:48   Link #1129
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Spoiler for EP8
O_o? Maya-chan changed her mind? Having a carnival with the big-bossy-all-tanned-Kongo-sama was not very fun after all? Join the Blue Steel family and go trick or treating with little Makie instead? I'm proud of ya Maya!

Maya: OvO...I want go Trick or Treat with the little ones...

Last edited by Tim yy; 2013-11-21 at 16:02.
Tim yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 02:43   Link #1130
GundamZZ
残念美人

I'm late to watch this show. I knew a lot of people were discussing novel, but I didn't like the art. The anime is the differnt thing. The art looks quite pleasant, and it's not some ugly looking 3D. I heard anime doesn't use 3D as much because Japanese viewers are slow to adapt to the style. Yet, Toy Story is one of the top selling anime at the time. Yes, they classified it as anime.

Spoiler for speculation:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 03:33   Link #1131
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The full music video of Trident

Old 2013-11-24, 06:45   Link #1132
gaiar31

Spoiler:
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 07:59   Link #1133
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Nice model. It would be nicer if the "alien tattoos" are made from glow-in-the-dark material .
Old 2013-11-24, 10:43   Link #1134
Tranhieu

^ You can actually paint them yourself
Old 2013-11-25, 05:12   Link #1135
gaiar31

Beach Queens 2014

gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-25, 05:25   Link #1136
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Takao Towel. So it's a Takaowel. Dry yourselves, gents.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...74306&page=top
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-25, 05:55   Link #1137
Tenzen12

People behind Arpeggio are real bussinessmen into point it is painful. They give a show as limited budgets as possible, make huge hype around that (I don't remember any other show with 5 PVs), make everyone moe and try make tons of money through merchandise.

It obviously is logical approach, but I can't realy appreciate it's lack of respect.

PS: Isn't there Kongou edition of that towel? I would immidietely order it.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-25, 09:21   Link #1138
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The VA of Haruna visits a Naval base.
Old 2013-11-25, 10:08   Link #1139
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
People behind Arpeggio are real bussinessmen into point it is painful. They give a show as limited budgets as possible, make huge hype around that (I don't remember any other show with 5 PVs), make everyone moe and try make tons of money through merchandise.

It obviously is logical approach, but I can't realy appreciate it's lack of respect.

PS: Isn't there Kongou edition of that towel? I would immidietely order it.
And there're also the character songs which include all the female characters except Makie, a NicoNico talk done by Trident, and the upcoming live in Shibuya or somewhere this Dec. I was also surprised to see such a low profile series like Aoki Hagane to have that much attention, but the bells and whistle are all pretty good so far so I'm fine with the way they made their investment.
Old 2013-11-25, 12:05   Link #1140
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Takao Towel. So it's a Takaowel. Dry yourselves, gents.
Quote:
Isn't there Kongou edition of that towel? I would immidietely order it.
Lol, I'm sure there are bunch of Kongowels left in boxes of merchandise 402 procured.
If the production company can milk lots of money like the all the mainstream manga, Kongo-sama might finally be able to get her special book (or sell the backlog) and even sport her own spin-off anime XD.
Tim yy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, alternate history, battleships, cgi, military science fiction