AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-10, 06:43   Link #1121
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Then it isn't that she has become stronger...only that she is no weaker than before. So the argument still isn't settled. From all that I've read, the rankings are not absolute measurements, but relative.

Ralative in a way that the lower Ranks aren't absolute, i agree. The top 5 are a completely different "world", Rank 1 being a different "world" again.
Out of the 46 Ranks left, how many do you think could actually hope to qualify for Rank 1? Probably only those of the Top 5 and those Ranks are not just given away under a premise like: "So, you're Rank 5 because you're only slightly weaker than Rank 4". No, the gap between 4 and 5 can already be enormous. Have you seen what Teresa did to Rank 2-5 in a matter of seconds? Those were the top of the elite and they didn't even cause a sweat on Teresa. If she had used 10% of her youki in the initial assault, all of the others heads would have rolled just there.
The closer you get to Rank 1, the more absolute it gets. The remaining 46 are nothing compared to Rank 1, except for those few who can aspire for that Rank, and then they would still have to be significantly stronger than the reigning Claymore.

Quote:
We only know that in their generation, Raphaela = Luciera (pre-awakened) in power. But we are also shown that the power of each Claymore of a given rank within a given generation may vary to that of another of the same rank within another generation. They are also promoted and demoted. Luciera may = Raphaela, but Luciera may not be = to Teresa. And who knows how strong Teresa actually was. The gap between her and Irene may have been far, but it could very well have been that Teresa was only that much stronger so that Irene's actual strength may = the 1 and 2 of the previous generation. There just isn't enough information to make any necessary inferences that Raphaela is the strongest Claymore around at this moment.
Raphaela was Rank 2 of her generation because two Claymores can't hold the same Rank at the same time. She and her sister were equal in strength, yet it was Luciera who was designated to fight in her Awakened form while Raphaela was to control her. Much like the dark twins.
Do not be fooled by her Rank 2, she was actually Rank 1 material. That alone is already more than enough to automatically make her the strongest, with the sole exception of other Rank 1, contenders or Abyssals.
Promotion and demotion are also used as tools of punishment. Raphaela wasn't demoted, she was sent into exile. Later on, when she was reactivated they gave her Rank 5.
What do Ranks also tell us? Exactly, a certain vicinity in which they operate.
She was working as an undercover agent. People who could tell who and what she was were confused as to why she would be ranked 5.
Yes, Ranks can be deceiving, but Rank 1 is always the big cheese. Never think of them as anything but extremely strong.
People who don't like to think in extremes are far and inbetween but they aren't doing themselves any justice because we're talking about fantasy here.

Quote:
Also, the gap between her and Miria may be wide because Miria is the one who's not as strong, not that because Raphaela is = to Alicia and Beth.
Raphaela may actually not be equally strong as Alicia and Beth. We're are talking about three Rank 1 materials. A clash between such parties would be terrible to witness. Not to mention that it could destroy more than half of the Org again as colateral damage.
Miria would look insignificant to that, even after the 7 years gap. Sorry to say, but the Lucky7 have not suddenly become Rank 1. They can probably beat a Top 3-5 Rank with combined effort, but not Rank 1, let alone an Abyssal.

Quote:
To make matters more complicated, what I do recall is that the org itself believes that Alicia and Beth are the strongest in the annals of Claymores. But this appears to be true only because Alicia can manage a 100% yoki output, which is an awakening. Yet I would say that at this state, she is on a completely different category altogether and no longer a Claymore if we are to make the distinctions between Claymores and Awakened beings seriously.
Alicia/Beth combo is the first documented stable remote controlled Awakeneing pair-up. Claymores don't get stronger than 100% of their youki, which is Awakened. After that they are no longer Claymore.
Old 2007-06-10, 06:54   Link #1122
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Man, make up your mind. Is Rank 1 super special unique with sugar on top, in which case, Raphaela with her puny Rank 2's actually a weakling, or do we take Rubul's word for it that she and her sister were close in strength? You can't have it both way.

My opinion is that ranks are just a way to tell, in a particular point in time, who's stronger than whom. In Theresa's time, there was a big gap between rank 2 and rank 1. It may not be true at other times. Indeed, in Luciera's time, it wasn't so.

It's like in some classes, there'll sometimes be a student who's way better than all his classmates, but sometimes you'll get a few who are always very close in grades, and whose rankings keep changing even if they're always at the top.

If you think about it, after Theresa's death, there may have been a time when the former number 6 (whose name I've forgotten) was propelled to number 1, because everybody above her was dead or missing. And now, Audrey, who may have been ranked 10th at the time of the Northern Campaign, is suddenly number 3. It'd explain why she sucks so much.
Old 2007-06-10, 07:21   Link #1123
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Man, make up your mind. Is Rank 1 super special unique with sugar on top, in which case, Raphaela with her puny Rank 2's actually a weakling, or do we take Rubul's word for it that she and her sister were close in strength? You can't have it both way.
Why thank you, my mind is pretty much laid bare back there. No use in arguing even more on it.

Quote:
My opinion is that ranks are just a way to tell, in a particular point in time, who's stronger than whom. In Theresa's time, there was a big gap between rank 2 and rank 1. It may not be true at other times. Indeed, in Luciera's time, it wasn't so.
Oh, it wasn't. Because 1 and 2 were equally strong perhaps? Look, i know what you want to say that Rank 1 of different generations can be stronger/weaker than other generations Rank 1. I don't even doubt that.
Which is why i said that those fights would be very hard to foretell. As would be fights with contenders, but there aren't too many.

Quote:
It's like in some classes, there'll sometimes be a student who's way better than all his classmates, but sometimes you'll get a few who are always very close in grades, and whose rankings keep changing even if they're always at the top.
In classes, the chances are much more broad. Many more individuals have a realistic chance to end up on top. The one with the best grades could fluke up on a bad day.
Claymores Rank 1 would have to be seriously outdone, even killed to resign that post. Out of 46 contenders, there might not be a single one to be able to do that.

Quote:
If you think about it, after Theresa's death, there may have been a time when the former number 6 (whose name I've forgotten) was propelled to number 1, because everybody above her was dead or missing. And now, Audrey, who may have been ranked 10th at the time of the Northern Campaign, is suddenly number 3. It'd explain why she sucks so much.

Not necessarily. There are always Claymore trainees and "retired" warriors that could fill the Ranks. Whereas Rank 1 is not that easy to fill. Then again, Rank 1 getting killed is more unikely than the death of a lower ranking one.
It's also not Audrey who sucks so much..but Riful who owns so much. Look at what they are up against. The Lucky7 only manage to escape.
Let Audrey and Raychel fight any of the Lucky7 in a regular fight and we will see who's stronger.
Old 2007-06-10, 07:42   Link #1124
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
It's also not Audrey who sucks so much..but Riful who owns so much. Look at what they are up against. The Lucky7 only manage to escape.
Let Audrey and Raychel fight any of the Lucky7 in a regular fight and we will see who's stronger.
Good battle skills, bad judgment. That's all we can say about those two for now.

Quote:
Miria would look insignificant to that, even after the 7 years gap. Sorry to say, but the Lucky7 have not suddenly become Rank 1. They can probably beat a Top 3-5 Rank with combined effort, but not Rank 1, let alone an Abyssal.
Hmm. Clare was able to beat an awakened male #2 though but that required her to be in a semi-awakened state. Still, a half awakened winning against an old fully awakened, I don't think we should underestimate Clare or anybody else for that matter.

Claymore has too many wild cards and we really can't argue anything as fact when we haven't seen the full extent of their abilities just yet.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-06-10, 07:46   Link #1125
SimplyEd
Claytard

No problem, i'm all for surprises. Which is why i chose Clare as my fav character^^
Old 2007-06-10, 08:17   Link #1126
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
Oh, it wasn't. Because 1 and 2 were equally strong perhaps?
In Theresa's time, that obviously wasn't so. In other generations? Who knows?

In Luciera's time, it was.

In others, who knows?

Quote:
Look, i know what you want to say that Rank 1 of different generations can be stronger/weaker than other generations Rank 1.
Not at all what I meant, though that's true too. I meant two things
  • that the gaps between numbers varies from generation to generation. In Theresa's time, there was one between 1 and 2, but that doesn't mean that there's one in every generation. In Clare's time, there was one between 5 and 6, but again, it may not be true for every generation.
  • the rank 1 of a generation may actually be weaker than the rank 2 or 3 of another generation.
Quote:
I don't even doubt that.
Which is why i said that those fights would be very hard to foretell. As would be fights with contenders, but there aren't too many.

In classes, the chances are much more broad. Many more individuals have a realistic chance to end up on top. The one with the best grades could fluke up on a bad day.
Claymores Rank 1 would have to be seriously outdone, even killed to resign that post. Out of 46 contenders, there might not be a single one to be able to do that.
I don't see how it's any different. I don't see anything in what you've said that'd forbid several Claymore from vying for the top spot. Imagine the org had said "Priscilla and Irene will be enough". Priscilla awakens and kills Theresa and Irene. Or that Theresa, Priscilla, and Irene were never born in the first place. What do you have? Noelle and Sophia bickering to know who's number 1.

Quote:
Not necessarily. There are always Claymore trainees and "retired" warriors that could fill the Ranks.
That's why I said "may".

Quote:
Whereas Rank 1 is not that easy to fill. Then again, Rank 1 getting killed is more unikely than the death of a lower ranking one.
I just don't see Rank 1 as that special. Sure, it's at the top. So what? It's like having a race and saying that you'll surely have a second and a third, but there may not be a runner fast enough to get first. It's absurd. There'll be a first. Maybe you'll need a photo finish to tell who it is, and maybe that first will lap everyone, but you'll get a first regardless.

If anything, Rank 47 is harder to fill. You need 47 Claymores for it, and they're apparently shorthanded.

To get a Rank 1, you only need one. If tomorrow, rocks fall and every Claymore but Claris dies, she'll be promoted to Number 1. (For all the good it'll do her...)

Quote:
I'm not peeved at her failure to scratch Riful, but at her lack of awareness of the situation and general attitude. Well, as Riful said, it may be nothing more than a matter of Claymore types.
Old 2007-06-10, 08:26   Link #1127
dee32

Quote:
Against any of the fab 4 they wouldn't have a chance. Against Cynthia, Tabitha, and Yuma they might have a chance. But in the end the trio would still win. You got figure while the seven ghost were fighting awakens in the northern campaign Audrey and Rachel were probly still in training. The seven ghost have way more battle experience and alot more patience than Rachel and Audrey. Then Audrey and Rachel egos are just to big. Thinking they had Ritful on the ropes when Ritful was just toying with. The fab 4 knew they didn't stand a chance against Ritful and that the best course of action was to run.

Last edited by dee32; 2007-06-10 at 11:12.
Old 2007-06-10, 08:30   Link #1128
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
In Theresa's time, that obviously wasn't so. In other generations? Who knows?

In Luciera's time, it was.

In others, who knows?
Alicia and Beth are the same as Luciera and Raphaela except the former are twin sisters instead of just being sisters like the latter half.

Now Beth and Raphaela are just as strong as their sisters except they are the controlling half while the other awakened. Alicia is considered the strongest claymore in their annuals, I doubt there was a massive gap between her and Luciera. After all Alicia and Luceria were made to fight evenly with Isely and Riufl.

Rubul was also very clear to Clare and Jean that they stood no chacne against Raphaela. he's talking to a #9 and someone he probably knew took out the #4 and yet was very sure of what he was saying.

I really hope the Claymore in the city is Raphaela, would be nice to get some confirmation of her power after the numerous hints that have been dropped.
Old 2007-06-10, 08:44   Link #1129
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Alicia and Beth are the same as Luciera and Raphaela except the former are twin sisters instead of just being sisters like the latter half.

Now Beth and Raphaela are just as strong as their sisters except they are the controlling half while the other awakened.
We don't actually know that. In fact, we don't even know if they're that strong unless they're using their gimmick. Since they're hardly ever seen by other Claymores, even they don't know if they're strong or not.

Quote:
Alicia is considered the strongest claymore in their annuals, I doubt there was a massive gap between her and Luciera. After all Alicia and Luceria were made to fight evenly with Isely and Riufl.

Rubul was also very clear to Clare and Jean that they stood no chacne against Raphaela. he's talking to a #9 and someone he probably knew took out the #4 and yet was very sure of what he was saying.
Just because we, as readers, know what happened, doesn't mean that, to the Organisation and Rubul, it's not just one more mystery in a world that's filled with them. In fact, put yourself in their shoes: which do you think is more plausible: that #47 somehow took out an Awakened Ophelia by herself, or that Quicksword Irene did it? And that's just one possible explanation. Heck, they may think Ophelia was so batshit crazy, after she awakened she cut herself to pieces.

We know Clare is strong and that she's the main character in the story. Rubul doesn't.
Old 2007-06-10, 09:11   Link #1130
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
I don't see how it's any different. I don't see anything in what you've said that'd forbid several Claymore from vying for the top spot. Imagine the org had said "Priscilla and Irene will be enough". Priscilla awakens and kills Theresa and Irene. Or that Theresa, Priscilla, and Irene were never born in the first place. What do you have? Noelle and Sophia bickering to know who's number 1.
Oh they are certainly welcome to try. See what they can accomplish against Rank 1. We are not talking about taking exams here.
You're probably thinking that they are easily replaceable. So if Rank 1-5 die then Rank 6 will automatically be Rank 1.
I don't think so. There are other matters that have to be taken into account. For example that Rank 6 in this case wouldn't even be a contender in the first place.
There could be a trainee just waiting to fill in that position.
Priscilla jumped to Rank 2 instantly. Why? Because she could potentially rival Rank 1.
Did Noel and Sophia have that potential. Maybe, but not in the same way that Priscilla had.
Every single warriors abilities will have to be taken into account to fill in Rank 1.

Quote:
I just don't see Rank 1 as that special. Sure, it's at the top. So what? It's like having a race and saying that you'll surely have a second and a third, but there may not be a runner fast enough to get first. It's absurd. There'll be a first. Maybe you'll need a photo finish to tell who it is, and maybe that first will lap everyone, but you'll get a first regardless.
If tomorrow, rocks fall and every Claymore but Claris dies, she'll be promoted to Number 1. (For all the good it'll do her...)
It's highly likely that they are created so that there will be at least one or two exceptional Claymores. Results vary greatly when creating Claymores but if you get a hold of potent human specimens and merge them with potent youma specimens then the result should be stellar.
It's more likely that most of the candidates for Claymorization are of mediocre and less quality. But then there are those with great potential. They are very rare, just like potent youma tissue.
Ranks are more likely to be shuffled downward than upward. If a high rank dies then there will be trainees that were prepared to take that position.
Priscilla took Rank 2 even when there were former Rank 2-5 with much more experience than her. Woud it have been more logical for them to retain their positions?

If Clarice would be the last one standing (and i mean the last one..no Claymores, no trainees) then she would be the sole survivor. Does that make her Rank 1?
There wouldn't even be a system to define that.
She would not be Rank 1 since there are no other Claymores.
There would have to be a completely new program started to define a ranking system.
Old 2007-06-10, 09:21   Link #1131
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Hmm...my rattle is bigger than your rattle...

Seriously fellas, all this is getting a little bit childish, you know? Victory in battle depends more on the right application of power rather than on raw power alone. The M1A1 Main Battle Tank may be one of the most advanced and powerful battle tanks in the world today, but it would have been totally useless in the rocky terrain of the Balkans, which was why hardly any (or none, if I recall) was ever deployed to stop the Balkan War during the 1990s.

Meaning to say, to quote Clare once again, comparison of ranks and techniques is pointless. One thing the Seven Ghosts have learnt (at least I've hoped they have, after all that they've been through) is how to fight effectively as a team. Prior to the Northern Campaign, they've hardly ever had to do so -- hence the instant cat-fighting that broke out the moment the 24 were gathered together in Pieta.

Plus, they are now led by Miria, arguably the best tactical mind ever produced in the annals of Organisation. I forsee great things for them, as a team.

Back to more interesting matters (at least to me they are), I'm very intrigued by the introduction of the Miata/Clarice dynamic.

One thing that impressed me about the series at the very beginning, was how well Yagi-san portrayed the behaviour of severely abused children. He seems to understand them very well, as shown in the way chibi-Clare reacted to Teresa.

In Miata, I see a spark of that understanding once again -- an empathy for how abused children tend to behave. I'm interested to see Miata's backstory unfolds. We've already seen how the Organisation cares very little for ethics, forcibly buying a pair of twin girls from their parents, and progressively turning them into mindless fighting machines. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they used less than upright methods to "procure" Miata either, hence the poor child's unstable condition, and need for maternal assurance.

As for Clarice, I'm very curious why she was even allowed to adopt a number and become a frontline Claymore (she could have stayed among supposedly unknown number of "spares" and "Claymores-in-training"). Perhaps the disastrous loss of more than half a generation of warriors within a space of weeks, if not months, had affected the Organisation more than they'd care to admit, and for a time, the Organisation might indeed have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Ah well....another long month of waiting eh? Someone remind me why I'm not fond of following on-going series.... (*cough* Blade of the Immortal *cough*).
Old 2007-06-10, 09:25   Link #1132
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well, it certainly is a rather lively discussion. Lovely, no? It has nothing to do with a bigger rattle,no. I think i'll just leave it at that now.
Old 2007-06-10, 09:33   Link #1133
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
We don't actually know that. In fact, we don't even know if they're that strong unless they're using their gimmick. Since they're hardly ever seen by other Claymores, even they don't know if they're strong or not.
I'm quoting Rubel here from the start of vol 12.

Raphaela - "Strip me of my number?"
Rubel - "Such measures is rarely taken by the organization but probably this case will have major reprecussions".
Rubel - "Motivating you, who has equal power to Luciela and thus causing a repeat of Luciela must be avoided at all costs... thats what they must be thinking".

So yes the sisters are just as strong as each other it's just one is the awakened being and the other their mind.
Old 2007-06-10, 11:04   Link #1134
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Gotta comment on Rubel... He's odd alright. It's hard to tell if he's being teasingly sadistic or in his own way trying to help them out. It's going to be real interesting to see just where he stands.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:27   Link #1135
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Oh they are certainly welcome to try. See what they can accomplish against Rank 1. We are not talking about taking exams here.
What rank 1? In my scenario, they're the only contenders and only have each other to bicker with.

Quote:
You're probably thinking that they are easily replaceable. So if Rank 1-5 die then Rank 6 will automatically be Rank 1.
I don't think so. There are other matters that have to be taken into account. For example that Rank 6 in this case wouldn't even be a contender in the first place.
There could be a trainee just waiting to fill in that position.
If they have a trainee that strong and ready to be fielded, then they field her. But if not, they work with what they've got.

In fact, they always work with what they've got. They don't go around "We've got enough single digits, let's only produce weaklings for now" or "Shit, we don't have anyone worthy of rank 1, we'll just wish one into existence.". They take what warriors they have, and give the rank 1 to whoever, in their opinion, is the best.

Quote:
Priscilla jumped to Rank 2 instantly. Why? Because she could potentially rival Rank 1.
Did Noel and Sophia have that potential. Maybe, but not in the same way that Priscilla had.
Every single warriors abilities will have to be taken into account to fill in Rank 1.
Priscilla was given rank 2 because she was deemed ready to go in the field as a Claymore, and because she was stronger than every other Claymore save Theresa. What else is there to consider?

If there'd been no one stronger than Monkey and Ape, regardless of how strong they were in the absolute sense, one of them would have gotten the rank 1. (Or maybe they'd have traded it back and forth the way they did with rank 3...)

Quote:
It's highly likely that they are created so that there will be at least one or two exceptional Claymores. Results vary greatly when creating Claymores but if you get a hold of potent human specimens and merge them with potent youma specimens then the result should be stellar.
It's more likely that most of the candidates for Claymorization are of mediocre and less quality. But then there are those with great potential. They are very rare, just like potent youma tissue.
While they may at some point in the process be some form of specialisation (like for the Eye. And maybe it's at the very beginning, like for Dark Alicia and Beth), I think they just do their best for the rest. And after all's said and done, they rank Claymores according to actual strength, not what they think it ought to be.

Quote:
Ranks are more likely to be shuffled downward than upward. If a high rank dies then there will be trainees that were prepared to take that position.
Priscilla took Rank 2 even when there were former Rank 2-5 with much more experience than her. Woud it have been more logical for them to retain their positions?
As I said, they work with what they've got. Priscilla took rank 2 by virtue of being stronger than Irene. Not because of "special qualities". She was stronger, she took her rank.

Quote:
If Clarice would be the last one standing (and i mean the last one..no Claymores, no trainees) then she would be the sole survivor. Does that make her Rank 1?
There wouldn't even be a system to define that.
She would not be Rank 1 since there are no other Claymores.
There would have to be a completely new program started to define a ranking system.
Fine. Clarice's the last Claymores, and all the trainees are even more pathetic than she is. Woohoo, Clarice's number 1.

Quote:
I'm quoting Rubel here from the start of vol 12.

Raphaela - "Strip me of my number?"
Rubel - "Such measures is rarely taken by the organization but probably this case will have major reprecussions".
Rubel - "Motivating you, who has equal power to Luciela and thus causing a repeat of Luciela must be avoided at all costs... thats what they must be thinking".

So yes the sisters are just as strong as each other it's just one is the awakened being and the other their mind.
I was talking about Alicia and Beth. And what I meant is, we don't know if they're that strong unless they use their Awakening trick. Maybe Galatea could kick their asses, for example. Heck, maybe Jean could have.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:43   Link #1136
Westlo
Lets be reality

Doesn't Riful pretty much say to Clare/Jean to become stronger Claymores so they can become even more powerful when they fully awaken? Seeing as how Alicia is/was made to match Isley/Riful/Luciela I'm pretty sure she would snuff Miss Claymore.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:50   Link #1137
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

Yup. Riful wants them to grow strong as they can get. Before awakening them that is.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:59   Link #1138
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Heh my rattle is biggest!

But seriously, the Orginization, for some reason or another, does seem to stop producing truley exceptional Claymore's after the top 5.

It is possible that that is simply because they can only generate so much of that "exceptional" Yoma tissue a generation or some such.

The only thing I am realy trying to argue here overall is that Rafeala is quite possibly the strongest non-awakaned Claymore at this time, being a competator for #1 in her generation. Her former rank of #5 was ment to decieve, not ment to scale her power without Yoki and her TRUE rank of #2 (and potential #1) is her real power.

Rubel has said things many times that lead us to believe he is well aware of Clare's situation a majority of the time, guy seems to have some amazing instincts.

and about Clare's quote, keep in mind Flora's answer;
Whether they want it or not, those with power command those below themselves. That is the responsibility that befalls them.

Clare's face shows she had never thought of this before and her acceptance of Flora's challenge means that she accepted her reasoning as well.

I do hope the Claymore in town is Rafeala, she is the only member of the top 5 we have not truly seen in action, and would quite possibly put an end to this debate :P
Old 2007-06-10, 13:32   Link #1139
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Doesn't Riful pretty much say to Clare/Jean to become stronger Claymores so they can become even more powerful when they fully awaken? Seeing as how Alicia is/was made to match Isley/Riful/Luciela I'm pretty sure she would snuff Miss Claymore.
They had to work with the twins they had. Whereas Alicia and Beth are the strongest of the pairs of twins they had, and worked out for the Claymorization and reversible Awakening process (which may be, in fact, only Alicia and Beth), Galatea is the strongest of all non twin Claymores. The biggest fish of a larger pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
The only thing I am realy trying to argue here overall is that Rafeala is quite possibly the strongest non-awakaned Claymore at this time, being a competator for #1 in her generation. Her former rank of #5 was ment to decieve, not ment to scale her power without Yoki and her TRUE rank of #2 (and potential #1) is her real power.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. Question, though: whom is it meant to deceive?
The humans outside the organization don't know about the rankings, and probably wouldn't care if they did.
The people at the top of the org know who Raphaela is.
The other Claymores? The ones numbered 6 and below know that she's a high ranked single digit much stronger than they are. Alicia and Beth don't have enough brains to understand. Ophelia was too crazy to care.

So yeah, it's to deceive Galatea. Why?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2007-06-10 at 13:45.
Old 2007-06-10, 14:17   Link #1140
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Rafaela's abilities pretty much make it impossible for Galatea to detect her or even fight back effectively, so Galatea would naturally be suspicious of her if she knew of her strength. Rafaela was the organization's hitwoman so to speak, people do not realy know what she looks like.

Her rank of #5 puts her in a position of authority, but she would probably only reveal that rank when she is about to execute someone, or if she was using her rank for some weight. It seems she was reinvite to the organization to fill the power-gap that losing 1-5 caused, and she was to be their covert-op/discipline dealer to help deal with problem cases.

Ophelia was indeed a trouble maker, but I am sure Ophelia probably would have underestimated Rafaela because of her lower rank, and paid dearly for it.

Not everyone among the Claymore's know each others symbols, so people would be deceived quite easily by a Scar-eyed warrior with no Yoki, they would probably simply think she was weak at first glance, and realize too late that she was far more powerful then they were and the people below #5 would think she is indeed much stronger then them, but not say, as powerful as a #1 or 2, so a team of renegade Claymores(aka the fab 4) might have the idea that they could handle her, which would be bad news for them.

So overall, if Galatea is the big fish in the pond, then Rafaela is the Grizzly standing right outside the pond. She is supposed to stay outside their (the other Claymore's) radar, in more ways then one.