Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2020-06-06, 09:13   Link #101
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
George Floyd is looking down from heaven smiling upon the man who preaches equality and fair treatment while calling the military against protesters and thinking "What a great day to be alive!".
The man didn't deserve to die like he did, but let's not sanctify him so quickly:

Of course, some will just ignore it because just you don't agree with the woman's political stance, even though it's not the point of the video.
Old 2020-06-06, 11:42   Link #102
Key Board
Carbon

Did the murders begin with George Floyd
Did the murders stop at George Floyd

No they didn’t

Edit: Justin Howell is the latest victim.
And the medic that tried to save his life.
Shooting medics is a war crime.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-06-06 at 12:20.
Old 2020-06-06, 12:42   Link #103
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

^^
That woman gets worse every time I hear her talk.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2020-06-06, 13:00   Link #104
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Maybe you didn't look at the press conference either. Yesterday wasn't a great day for George Floyd since he cant be with his daughter right now, Yesterday isn't a great day for everybody that we still have a virus that still out there and still over 40 mil people is unemployed right now and Yesterday was only a great day for Trump and his allies with only with Stock Market and Job Numbers (oh the reason why it went down because White unemployment went down while black when up) that still having unemployment rates at 13.3%.

He didn't come up with any ideas or suggestions about dealing with this systematic racism issue or anything like that. So when he made that claim, it pissed me off because he want to think that George Floyd should be smiling with all of this mess going on right now.

If I was him, I will be talking to different civil rights leaders (He has John Freakin Lewis in the Congress and the best person to talk to about this) and organization to see what he can do as president to improve this relations. But Nope, he is talking about job numbers and other crap like that.

Sorry to make this post alittle bit longer but it is just sad that we have to continue with this and now if nothing is going to be done, it is going to get worst before it gets better.
You won't even acknowledge that you were lied to and repeated the lie.
Old 2020-06-06, 13:10   Link #105
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which lie? It be good to clarify rather than blanket it, since if it wasn't noticed and was repeated, it may not be even known to be a lie. Therefore, point it out.
Old 2020-06-06, 13:13   Link #106
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
LOL what lie? Perhaps he shouldn't have used George Floyd's death as an excuse to pat himself on the back.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2020-06-06, 13:57   Link #107
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
So tell me what is the lie are you talking about? Because I think you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 2020-06-06, 20:52   Link #108
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Also, the unemployment numbers were fudged due to a "calculating error", and were actually around 16.3%. Purely accidental I'm sure.
Old 2020-06-06, 21:22   Link #109
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am sure some aren't reported yet, since the unemployment offices are overloaded that they have not gotten to everyone that has attempted to file, or those that have tried to file have do gotten through.
Old 2020-06-06, 23:00   Link #110
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
BBC has this interesting article:
Double stands country and Karma.
Old 2020-06-06, 23:44   Link #111
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Whenever I see things like this, I always think "what's the end goal?"

To be honest, I have always been uncertain about that term "systematic racism". This was a horrible crime, and it was dealt with rather quickly when you get down to it. I can only hope that they will be convicted and punished appropriately. But it's not evidence of something "systematic". Ultimately there are lots of injustices happening, but the system itself is not set up to screw one group over or anything, and coming up with something to change is very difficult. A lot of the problems being faced are far more complicated than something simple like "people hate this group" or "people want to put this group down" or "people don't care if members of this group are killed" (something often stated but from the outcry by everyone, myself included, I find it questionable). The problems often may be more connected to other issues, a broad variety of catch-22s where you're going to struggle in a lot of areas if you don't have enough of certain things, and these struggles make it much harder if not near impossible to gain what you need. This isn't something "systematic", it's a difficult situation that the system has even tried to fight against, but it's a real struggle and a lot of near-blind searching to make any significant headway.

That's not to say some changes wouldn't be great. Further increases to body cameras, for one thing, to help protect everyone involved and provide clearer evidence of what was done wrong and how to correct it in the future to prevent similar tragedies. Determining restraints and other procedures with less risk without sacrificing the police's ability to control a situation is definitely crucial, as is better training all who go out into the street to assess what level of force is necessary to establish control (there are criminals who need to be pinned, but from what I've seen he clearly did not). Clearly there can always be further research into nonlethal weapons to deal with severe situations, because really almost anything can be lethal or life-wrecking with just a little bit of bad luck or mistaken use. Additionally, I've long felt that creating/increasing police-run projects in high-crime and low-income neighborhoods would be great. Not only can it help improve the lives of people in said neighborhoods, it can also help develop actual relationships between the police and the people, thus hopefully improving encounters between them. We need less tension and distrust, and the only way to do that is to have more positive interactions.

There are plenty of things that can be done, but honestly acting like the system or the police force are actively oppressing people is not likely to do anything but get in the way of progress.

Either way, I can only hope that in this next election we'll elect someone who will unite the people rather than divide them. At least someone who won't spend all his time deciding whether to look like an idiot or an arrogant ass.
Old 2020-06-06, 23:49   Link #112
Key Board
Carbon

Body cameras are useless if the police can turn it off at will.

The police are actively feeling threatened by citizens, especially if they are minorities.
And are encouraged and even trained to use violence to cope with that anxiety.

I'll say it again. Even if you're not a minority, this is something you learn naturally by being a pet owner.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-06-06 at 23:59.
Old 2020-06-07, 06:47   Link #113
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
USMC are removing the Confederate flags

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1269075089078784001

About time its getting the treatment ressembling the Roman Damnatio memoriae.
Old 2020-06-07, 10:47   Link #114
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Whenever I see things like this, I always think "what's the end goal?"

To be honest, I have always been uncertain about that term "systematic racism". This was a horrible crime, and it was dealt with rather quickly when you get down to it. I can only hope that they will be convicted and punished appropriately. But it's not evidence of something "systematic". Ultimately there are lots of injustices happening, but the system itself is not set up to screw one group over or anything, and coming up with something to change is very difficult.
Well, it's definitely not like say Robocop where every cop has a hidden directive to hassle all black people. It is more that the system enables bullies and other bad actors more leeway to do certain things and get away with it, so as one would expect, the worst tendencies come out. So you will get the worst of racism, homophobia, or whatnot spilling out even if it wasn't designed as such.

They start bullying people in vulnerable groups because they can get away with it. Fortunately for us, now you have private citizens recording everything. And as suggested earlier in the thread, we wonder what would have happened if this was like wasn't all aired out to us-- would they cover it up?

Just because someone is a bigot, doesn't mean they can't do their job. But if someone decides that they won't serve a customer because of their race, then they'll definitely get fired. However, for the police, they're in a position of power over the people.

Limiting power and being more aggressive in punishing cops that fall out of line means that the bad ones will have less opportunities to do things, if it gets nipped in the bud. One of the criminals involved in this case, already had a lawsuit against him-- why was he still serving?

The militarization of the police and the escalation of violence has been a huge issue. We've given them way too much power, but then again Civil Liberties have been on the decline since 9/11.

The thing to take here is that you don't really to agree with me on most of this. As long as you think killing or maiming people for no good reason is bad and you want less of it to happen, then we're good. I don't feel the need to squabble about much else.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2020-06-07 at 11:15.
Old 2020-06-07, 17:54   Link #115
Blueknight78

hmmm here my toughts on this stuff, after watch so many times the video about it and see how the "protests are going " in some cases too far".

first honestly while i see the video as a "proof of brutality" of the police" i really don't don't see "racism", not too long ago we had another case of a woman using a "stormstrooper" outfit to promote the star wars day and due to a "or assho** person" or a too scared one called the police saying which she was a terrorist, which ended police come and also be a lot ""extreme" with her, she not was killed or have serious injuries,ut ended with a nose bleeding, because the policed forced her face down to the ground and bla bla bla, also we had another case were a "white guy" also was killed from the cops" which also were being brutal.

what i means is which the "USA police force while you do have good person, is also well know for being "too brutal" and over the top in many cases and what happened with floyd was another case of "US" police nto proper knowing how to handle they "stuffs" properly.

For what i can get US don't have a proper "training neither "pay proper attention to they "force workers, i means, some of that guys already had some complains filled and even some process over then and they "still working" i don't know if maybe because lacking of manpowe/understaffed but they are supposed to pay more attention to the peoples they are "hiring", how they are being trained and most important they "personality" if you have a candidate showing being they "too harsh" during the academy training then it's start to pay attention to that person if they are really worth of the work, also after that pay attention if someone is starting to have too many issues linked to him, time to call that person and see if it's time to "fire him", i really feel which based on what i see time to time in news, really US police really need to change how they "deal" with many stuffs" and that "shoot first ask later", way of think need to have some changes specially when the person already is being held or do clear show signs of "want to peace surrender" and not act like each time they are on a call if it's is a case of terrorism or doomsday, as i see many times, for what i get US police around the world is not considered a "good exemple".

Another problem i feel in this case is how nowadays the power of social media, can make things scale "out of control" too easy, with many flames and making peopls go"loot" and destroy others properties, no matter how "angry" you are even if the case was a "racism" case it don't give you rights to go destroying others peoples properties or even "killing others peoples" like the famous "eye for eye" specially when the "other eye is also a "innocent" person, or someone trying to be "reasonable and because of that it's get attacked because "no one want to be reasonable anymore.

if anything i feel it's time to put some "restrains" on social medias like twtteri, facebook, reddit or even youtube, not because of censure but because that places already become places of hatred and war if anything i do feel the third world war will be not a "physical one" but will be a virtual one on internet.
Old 2020-06-07, 21:16   Link #116
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
hmmm here my toughts on this stuff, after watch so many times the video about it and see how the "protests are going " in some cases too far".

first honestly while i see the video as a "proof of brutality" of the police" i really don't don't see "racism", not too long ago we had another case of a woman using a "stormstrooper" outfit to promote the star wars day and due to a "or assho** person" or a too scared one called the police saying which she was a terrorist, which ended police come and also be a lot ""extreme" with her, she not was killed or have serious injuries,ut ended with a nose bleeding, because the policed forced her face down to the ground and bla bla bla, also we had another case were a "white guy" also was killed from the cops" which also were being brutal.

what i means is which the "USA police force while you do have good person, is also well know for being "too brutal" and over the top in many cases and what happened with floyd was another case of "US" police nto proper knowing how to handle they "stuffs" properly.

For what i can get US don't have a proper "training neither "pay proper attention to they "force workers, i means, some of that guys already had some complains filled and even some process over then and they "still working" i don't know if maybe because lacking of manpowe/understaffed but they are supposed to pay more attention to the peoples they are "hiring", how they are being trained and most important they "personality" if you have a candidate showing being they "too harsh" during the academy training then it's start to pay attention to that person if they are really worth of the work, also after that pay attention if someone is starting to have too many issues linked to him, time to call that person and see if it's time to "fire him", i really feel which based on what i see time to time in news, really US police really need to change how they "deal" with many stuffs" and that "shoot first ask later", way of think need to have some changes specially when the person already is being held or do clear show signs of "want to peace surrender" and not act like each time they are on a call if it's is a case of terrorism or doomsday, as i see many times, for what i get US police around the world is not considered a "good exemple".

Another problem i feel in this case is how nowadays the power of social media, can make things scale "out of control" too easy, with many flames and making peopls go"loot" and destroy others properties, no matter how "angry" you are even if the case was a "racism" case it don't give you rights to go destroying others peoples properties or even "killing others peoples" like the famous "eye for eye" specially when the "other eye is also a "innocent" person, or someone trying to be "reasonable and because of that it's get attacked because "no one want to be reasonable anymore.

if anything i feel it's time to put some "restrains" on social medias like twtteri, facebook, reddit or even youtube, not because of censure but because that places already become places of hatred and war if anything i do feel the third world war will be not a "physical one" but will be a virtual one on internet.
@Blueknight78, I can understand you stance about this and it might not seen racist to you but we see it so many times it just make us numb to it.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspects-s...ry?id=71066667

First of all, I want you to read this and I want to hear if this was a racist act or not? This hits come to home for me (only 40 miles away from my family home in Georgia) and we as black people is tired of hearing our brothers and sisters getting killed not only by police but people like them. Added 400 years of this would make anybody crazy and it is not only police brutality but its from getting jobs to even getting help from the government(I can be a living witness on both of those). Most of those protests were peaceful but you have some troublemakers and those who been in the house too long, still don't have a job, not getting any unemployment help and just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

They made it bad but the way how the police acted made it worst and show the world the crap we been through.

About Floyd situation, there is no way you will keep your knee on a person neck for that long even it is was or wasn't racist act but it was sicken all the same. I will end this with a YouTube clip about this.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-06-07, 21:45   Link #117
Chosen_Hero

Having more cameras statistically doesn't help:

Quote:
A randomized control trial evaluating the effects of police body-worn cameras

Police departments are adopting body-worn cameras in hopes of improving civilian–police interactions. In a large-scale field experiment (2,224 officers of the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, DC), we randomly assigned officers to receive cameras or not. We tracked subsequent police behavior for a minimum of 7 mo using administrative data. Our results indicate that cameras did not meaningfully affect police behavior on a range of outcomes, including complaints and use of force. We conclude that the effects of cameras are likely smaller than many have hoped.

To estimate the effects of BWCs, we conducted a randomized controlled trial involving 2,224 Metropolitan Police Department officers in Washington, DC. Here we show that BWCs have very small and statistically insignificant effects on police use of force and civilian complaints, as well as other policing activities and judicial outcomes. These results suggest we should recalibrate our expectations of BWCs’ ability to induce large-scale behavioral changes in policing, particularly in contexts similar to Washington, DC.
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/21/10329.short?rss=1

There are graphics in the link if you are interested.

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2020-06-07 at 22:29. Reason: Quoted wrong post
Old 2020-06-07, 21:58   Link #118
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
? When did I talk about having more body cameras?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2020-06-07, 22:30   Link #119
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
? When did I talk about having more body cameras?
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I just edited your comment out of mine.
Old 2020-06-07, 23:51   Link #120
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
@Blueknight78, I can understand you stance about this and it might not seen racist to you but we see it so many times it just make us numb to it.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspects-s...ry?id=71066667

First of all, I want you to read this and I want to hear if this was a racist act or not? This hits come to home for me (only 40 miles away from my family home in Georgia) and we as black people is tired of hearing our brothers and sisters getting killed not only by police but people like them. Added 400 years of this would make anybody crazy and it is not only police brutality but its from getting jobs to even getting help from the government(I can be a living witness on both of those). Most of those protests were peaceful but you have some troublemakers and those who been in the house too long, still don't have a job, not getting any unemployment help and just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

They made it bad but the way how the police acted made it worst and show the world the crap we been through.

About Floyd situation, there is no way you will keep your knee on a person neck for that long even it is was or wasn't racist act but it was sicken all the same. I will end this with a YouTube clip about this.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ok i've read the news and that case was indeed racist, the guy was attacked for "no reason"(obvious racism and hatred), but still different from the cops case, in the video we see he trying to react at beginner, let's be clear i'm not trying to defend" that cops and for me those guys diservers perpertual jail or death penal or a really long time in the jail like 30 or 40 years in the worst jail possible), it make then anger specially the assho*** which killed floyd, then having 'assho** like then being angered by him not was something good, we must look at his past and the others past to see if this already "happened before" or they cases of brutality and see if was "only black peoples" and things like that before "judge it as racism" since they don't throw any racil slut at him and he was arrested for a "good reason" at the beginning because he was making trouble in a store, which was his issue, that is why for me it's don't look like "racism", if i don't know they past cases(the officers) and in the video and the peoples which were there told told which while the oficers were brutals and really shit, they in any moment throwed any "racist slut" to make it's looks like racism", again i'm not trying to defend anyone and not saying which it can't have a chance to be racism since i don't have a "crystal ball" or psionc powers to "read the oficers minds" to know if what they were doing is really because he was a black guy or because they were just "assho**", that i my issue here, the problem is how it's is now scaling from what was supposed to be a "pacific" protest" to a almost civil war, were "more lives are being lost", for exemple the "retired black officer which was killed trying to help protect a store from looters and others cases were more lifes being lost also more damage and i know the pandem and peoples stuck at home without a job for so long is not helping, but really having peoples in the net adding more fire and "say to peoples keep destroying stuffs" and peoples acting like its "fine" is not good.

again i'm not saying which racism don't exist specially in US, but is important to remember to not let the "rage" take over and specially as i told we really need to have the internet have some more "restrains and controls.

again what they did to floyd was inhuman and evil and they diservers the worst for that and that is why i feel which is really time to US review how they "police" acts because this is going to keep happening and with the power of internet it gona keep worst and in no time we gonna get a real civil war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Having more cameras statistically doesn't help:

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/21/10329.short?rss=1

There are graphics in the link if you are interested.
it's really weird and only show how big are the issue of the U.S police actions, it's really time to then take some actions over it otherwise with the internet and too many fake news and peoples inspiring more "rage" and hatred on the social media it not gonna take too much until U.S have a big civil war.