AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-12-26, 14:05   Link #101
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
To be honest the lack of character development for a lot of its cast is the only problem about Angel Beats! that registers with me. Whatever zigzags the story made didn't bother me since I felt from the outset that this was gonna be one of those shows that just didn't give a damn. And remember what finished airing the year before? Methinks that's a tough act to follow.

After Story > Refrain >= Kanon '06 > Angel Beats! = Clannad > Little Busters! > Air, imo.

AB!'s one of those things I go to for the story. The comedy. The antics. It'd go perfect with a game of one of these things is not like the other
Spoiler for Angel Beats!:
GANBARIMASU
Old 2014-12-26, 16:23   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
To be honest the lack of character development for a lot of its cast is the only problem about Angel Beats! that registers with me. Whatever zigzags the story made didn't bother me since I felt from the outset that this was gonna be one of those shows that just didn't give a damn.
But Angel Beats! often does seem to take its story seriously. Not always, but often. So I'm not sure where you get the impression that Angel Beats! didn't care at all about its story?

Just because a story is told a bit sloppily at times doesn't mean that the writers of that story don't care about it.

Anyway, my own ranking of the Key anime is probably the same as your own, except I'd switch Little Busters! with Angel Beats!
Old 2014-12-26, 16:34   Link #103
cyth
Banned

Angel Beats is a story about the school being a healing place. I don't know why anyone can take it seriously.

I don't have high hopes for this one, mostly because I think Maeda has forsaken plot devices that made his Key works heartwarming successes.
Old 2014-12-26, 16:56   Link #104
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I didn't need a lot of time spent on Otonashi to care about him, after all. One key episode was all I needed to care about Otonashi.
And you're assuming that no other character could get a similar key episode? Most people didn't care for Yui until her departure episode, for instance.
Old 2014-12-26, 16:59   Link #105
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
But Angel Beats! often does seem to take its story seriously. Not always, but often. So I'm not sure where you get the impression that Angel Beats! didn't care at all about its story?

Just because a story is told a bit sloppily at times doesn't mean that the writers of that story don't care about it.
Because I don't recall any Key work throwing that much randomness between all of its emotional moments. AB! being a true fantasy setting (and not 'real locales' w/ magic on the side) also makes it a little easier to buy into what it did. Not saying they didn't care about the story, but rather a lot of it lives by rule of cool and the show has fun with itself. imo it's a different Beat compared to every other animated Key thing.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2014-12-26, 19:45   Link #106
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Angel Beats was a disaster altogether, and it being twice as long would just have meant it was twice as horrible. But I don't see it as an issue of Maeda over indulging his tendencies as Maeda experimenting and failing spectacularly.

If there's a "classic" Maeda story, to me it's Clannad and After-story. It's Maeda without anyone really checking his excesses. There's genuine emotion but it's swamped in a sea of emotional manipulation and forced sentimentality.
Old 2014-12-26, 20:29   Link #107
Frontier

Well, I tend to really enjoy all Maeda/Key works so I'll probably enjoy this and just hope there's more romance in it than there was in Little Busters (which I also enjoyed) .
Old 2014-12-26, 21:38   Link #108
dark998

I wonder if Charlotte will surpass Angel Beats as best selling Key anime ever or the latter will retain the title. In any case both brands are pretty much "sisters" so it will be a healthy competition.
Old 2014-12-27, 01:04   Link #109
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
To be honest the lack of character development for a lot of its cast is the only problem about Angel Beats! that registers with me. Whatever zigzags the story made didn't bother me since I felt from the outset that this was gonna be one of those shows that just didn't give a damn. And remember what finished airing the year before? Methinks that's a tough act to follow.

After Story > Refrain >= Kanon '06 > Angel Beats! = Clannad > Little Busters! > Air, imo.

AB!'s one of those things I go to for the story. The comedy. The antics. It'd go perfect with a game of one of these things is not like the other
Spoiler for Angel Beats!:
Kinda funny, because I see it the other way around. Angel Beats has more swerves than a Vince Russo script and it seems to me the plot was pretty much completely arbitrary until the end until it goes typical key, and that's sorta whatever. Angel Beats' strength is in its cast variety, and because it's responsible for 75% of testosterone in PA Works' roster, that's sorta important!

I largely agree with your Key ranking (Though AB is at the bottom with Air, now if you want Maeda excess, that's that!) , though I do not think Clannad and Clannad AS should be regarded as separate entities, likewise with Little Busters and Refrain. If we do that I think Refrain is better than After Story, but Clannad as a whole I like more because Tomoyo is in it. xD

However, there is no way the first halves of either can be fairly compared to the standalone anime series because they don't have a climax and aren't complete stories so of course they won't have the same effect. And likewise Refrain is the last third of the anime series there, so that's kind of a problem too. Clannad in particular because they had to pretty much neuter the biggest impacts of its individual routes (and it wastes tons of time-- while Little Busters could be said to do the same, at least it's plot critical for it to do as such), while say Kanon gets to mindlessly smash all its storylines together whether it makes sense or not, but it manged to throw all its burst damage out.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-12-27, 02:57   Link #110
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And you're assuming that no other character could get a similar key episode?
I don't see why such an assumption has any less basis than the opposite assumption - That the supporting cast would have definitely been better if Maeda merely had more time to work with.

It's conceivable that Maeda viewed much of the AB! cast as just gimmicky joke characters, as many of them did in fact tend to be utilized that way. Maeda's decision to focus on a core group of characters may well have more to do with his own character preferences than anything else.

Quote:
Because I don't recall any Key work throwing that much randomness between all of its emotional moments.
Key works in general are loaded with comedic randomness between all of its emotional moments. And I know plenty of serious shows with fantasy settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think Angel Beats was a disaster altogether, and it being twice as long would just have meant it was twice as horrible.
My view is that Angel Beats! had its strong points and its weak points and both had little-to-nothing to do with time constraints (I honestly was fine with much of the cast being gimmicky joke characters). Doubling the length would likely just double the good and double the bad.
Old 2014-12-27, 07:45   Link #111
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So what's PAW's involvement in this if it's an Aniplex show? You usually don't see a company get such prominent credit if they're doing inbetweens or backgrounds.
Aniplex isn't a studio. It's a production and funding company. The studio working on this is PAW.
Old 2014-12-27, 09:51   Link #112
ukulelembo
Detective

Complete interview from the magazine:

Old 2014-12-27, 12:38   Link #113
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Key works in general are loaded with comedic randomness between all of its emotional moments. And I know plenty of serious shows with fantasy settings.
Bad violin playing, starfish armies, prankster sisters, getting into fights with a sports team in a dorm, big dango families, telling a story about elves, and many I probably can't think of contribute to their characters (not really what I'd call random). Rocket chairs, fortress traps, factories made of dirt, random ninjas, and mutilating someone with a halberd don't really do anything for its cast (but this seems pretty out there). The fantasy thing allowed AB! to do whatever with its humor. Some things did contribute to its cast, such as Tenshi penetrating Otonashi in the first episode or Yui botching a German suplex, still most of the humor in that show wasn't down to Earth, which is also part of why AB! doesn't really make for good, direct comparison to the other Key works. Well maybe the humor could've been more meaningful, but I always got the sense the show just wanted to let loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
However, there is no way the first halves of either can be fairly compared to the standalone anime series because they don't have a climax and aren't complete stories so of course they won't have the same effect. And likewise Refrain is the last third of the anime series there, so that's kind of a problem too. Clannad in particular because they had to pretty much neuter the biggest impacts of its individual routes (and it wastes tons of time-- while Little Busters could be said to do the same, at least it's plot critical for it to do as such), while say Kanon gets to mindlessly smash all its storylines together whether it makes sense or not, but it manged to throw all its burst damage out.
Well if you had to take the series as more than the sum of its parts,

Clannad >= Little Busters! > Kanon '06 > Angel Beats! > Air

I've only watched Air once, it's probably more coherent than AB!, but it's also the only Key work to legitimately bore me most of the time. Okay at least it has the best ending along with LB! but Key doesn't offer much competition tho. And I put LB! a bit below Clannad 'cause I don't recall the former setting up themes within themes the way Clannad did. Like in After Story you can see every theme from the first season start to come together that makes the thing cohesive. LB!'s set-up kind of amounted to
Spoiler for Little Busters! Refrain:
GANBARIMASU
Old 2014-12-27, 13:28   Link #114
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Bad violin playing, starfish armies, prankster sisters, getting into fights with a sports team in a dorm, big dango families, telling a story about elves, and many I probably can't think of contribute to their characters (not really what I'd call random). Rocket chairs, fortress traps, factories made of dirt, random ninjas, and mutilating someone with a halberd don't really do anything for its cast (but this seems pretty out there). The fantasy thing allowed AB! to do whatever with its humor. Some things did contribute to its cast, such as Tenshi penetrating Otonashi in the first episode or Yui botching a German suplex, still most of the humor in that show wasn't down to Earth, which is also part of why AB! doesn't really make for good, direct comparison to the other Key works. Well maybe the humor could've been more meaningful, but I always got the sense the show just wanted to let loose.
But that's pretty much why I don't care for Angel Beats that much. If you're going to have annoying stuff, then make it count for something.

However, the rocket chairs are funny. I'm sure they would have been great use in Hana Saku Iroha or Shirobako. Sup Tarou.
Quote:
Well if you had to take the series as more than the sum of its parts,

Clannad >= Little Busters! > Kanon '06 > Angel Beats! > Air

I've only watched Air once, it's probably more coherent than AB!, but it's also the only Key work to legitimately bore me most of the time. Okay at least it has the best ending along with LB! but Key doesn't offer much competition tho. And I put LB! a bit below Clannad 'cause I don't recall the former setting up themes within themes the way Clannad did. Like in After Story you can see every theme from the first season start to come together that makes the thing cohesive. LB!'s set-up kind of amounted to
Spoiler for Little Busters! Refrain:
Air anime is not that good because it's a direct adaptation and thus has no cohesion whatsoever because there was literally no thought in a proper structure; it does not help that the poor folks had relatively crude character designs as they only had Key's crappy looking character designs to work with; in fact Toei didn't try at all to be faithful in the AIR movie, which was probably for the better considering the job they did in Kanon 2002. Making Key designs look decent is a very hard process and it seemed to have taken some of the best around to make it work.

so that seems to be an anime issue rather than a Key issue, though certainly it didn't help either. =p If you compare progression, Kanon made a half assed attempt to make one unified story, and Clannad made a real attempt at the expense of some of its routes. Little Busters just had the advantage of being more suited to being an anime.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-12-27, 18:29   Link #115
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

For the record, this is the reason why people think Angel Beats would've been better with two cours. I think the interview definitely gives the impression (albeit translated by Sankaku Complex) that the story needed more episodes to cover the whole thing and that's actually why they expanded it into a multimedia franchise by printing a "prequel" light novel before the anime. I agree with the assessment that Angel Beats' biggest problem was its lack of time and I think it showed in the anime what with how rushed the plot points were. I think it also shows in the Angel Beats manga which is in stark contrast to the anime: it has none of the time constraints that the anime did, and not coincidentally has none of pacing issues and nonsensical plot developments that the anime had.

Personally, I think Angel Beats needed three cours to be perfect. XP
Old 2014-12-30, 20:29   Link #116
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well a lot of it definitely is chalked up to inexperience with anime time constraints, however I certainly feel the storytelling was fundamentally flawed. I don't say it was without value, but if the anime has the same kind of atmosphere and emphasis, then I just don't dig it. Every Key animu I've seen could have used its time a bit better. Maybe, just maybe Little Busters could have been 4 cours or somethig.

It depends. I think True Tears could have been better as 26 episodes. And Hana Saku Iroha better as 13. But they didn't, so we have 2 great anime that often degenerated into clusterfucks at times. And Another should have just been a movie /runs away

And again, I like every show that is mentioned, but I think a true masterwork has it sights from the first moment and not just straddle you with promises of "I can do better, I can do better". I've heard that too much. I really hate to say this, but so can everyone else.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-12-31, 04:39   Link #117
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Glad AB was only 1 cour tbh. 2 cours would have just meant it would have been twice as bad. Then again, that's the case with all Key based animes with the exception of After Story for me.

And no True Tears being 13 episodes was fine. Was the perfect length.
Old 2015-01-01, 04:48   Link #118
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Angel Beats is a story about the school being a healing place. I don't know why anyone can take it seriously.
I don't know why you are unable to take it seriously....what's the problem with a school as a healing place?
Old 2015-01-01, 05:33   Link #119
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ I think that was meant as a joke.
Old 2015-01-01, 07:50   Link #120
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Oh...My bad then, well there's plenty of criticism against AB so I couldn't see that at first glance

Tags
drama, key, p.a. works, supernatural