AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 49 31.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 31.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 21.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 9.68%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.29%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-15, 10:56   Link #101
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The scene that pretty much affirms the obvious tension between Tomoya and Nagisa has really yet to materialize. In the game it happened a lot earlier, but it seems KyoAni has its own idea when "it" becomes "official".

I put my money on it happening after the play, and Tomoya making the first move.
Old 2008-03-15, 11:16   Link #102
Deathscyther

Well, to have a satisfying end to this season (especially if there won't be a second season. I still believe that we will have a second season for after story though) they'll have to wrap things up in some way. And the nagisa x tomoya relationship has been one of the main point in the anime so far, so I guess that some sort of confession is needed in this final episode.

But with all the 'illusionary world' scenes they have been showing us throughout the series, a second season seems likely.
Spoiler for reason:
Old 2008-03-15, 13:43   Link #103
Kisuke06
I see...

So, episode 22 is going to be the last one. It seems that the end of Clannad won't be as powerful as Kanon. At least that is what I think.
Old 2008-03-15, 14:37   Link #104
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Random fanservice stretching... heh. Good focus. Goodness, were Ryou's breasts always that big? ^^

And no one has mentioned the alien invasion yet? The hills of Botan, the "Puhi!" sign, aliens, the big explosion... Hehehehe~
Old 2008-03-15, 14:41   Link #105
yupyupyup

Tomoyo + Glasses = cute!
Old 2008-03-15, 16:16   Link #106
GreatTeacherKen

I love how Akio just won't drop the whole potty chair thing.
Old 2008-03-15, 16:43   Link #107
Flandre Scarlet

I guess Tomoya tells his love for Nagisa in the last scene,
then the story ends(or continues to second season.)
Old 2008-03-15, 16:47   Link #108
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

Quote:
Clannad is a disappointment. We are almost on the last episode.
Where's the drama like Kanon?
Where's the sadness like Kanon?

I feel that Clannad is leagues away from Kanon.
Yes differences in taste... but mind you, one series already finished while the other still has an episode left, so it would be a little unfair to compare at this point. I think Clannad is more interesting to watch, but leaves less food for thought afterwards like Kanon did. Still, I really enjoy both series.
Old 2008-03-15, 17:17   Link #109
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Random fanservice stretching... heh. Good focus. Goodness, were Ryou's breasts always that big? ^^
Well, she is Kyou's sister after all, and Kyou's certainly not lacking in that particular department.

I think this might actually be the first time we've had a Ryou fanservice scene, hence why we haven't noticed them before.
Old 2008-03-15, 21:52   Link #110
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Interesting to see this thread evolve into a bit of a Kanon discussion, because I can't help thinking about it watching this series. I know Clannad isn't intended to have the drama of Kanon, but even in that context I still feel something missing. What's really sets Kanon above Clannad, for me, is scope. Frankly, the main conflict of the main female character's arc in Clannad just doesn't feel all that profound - I mean really, so Mom and Dad gave up their career - what's the big deal? It's called being a parent. I like Nagisa and all, but the stuff that drove the plot in Kanon - especially Ayu's arc - had so much more weight to it that it's hard not to dismiss Clannad as fluff by comparison. Frankly, the most interesting character here is Sunohara and we rarely got to see more of him than as a punching bag.
Old 2008-03-15, 22:10   Link #111
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Frankly, the most interesting character here is Sunohara and we rarely got to see more of him than as a punching bag.
Even though I disagree with all your Kanon praising, this point is well taken. And why don't the other characters recognise Sunohara for what he's worth? Tomoyo has a solid basis for disliking him, but the same isn't true for anyone else or is it?

Quote:
I mean really, so Mom and Dad gave up their career - what's the big deal? It's called being a parent.
Seconded too. I think Nagisa's plot loses a lot of its meaning without the After Story. Her story is rather mundane if it's to be built on the premise of Mum and Dad giving up their career.

That said, I still like the general feel of Clannad. Yes, it's missing something, but so is Kanon. Hopefully a second season will set Clannad right.
Old 2008-03-16, 00:27   Link #112
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

More and more I keep thinking that Nagisa and Tomoya are really perfect together. They are just so cute when they are talking.

And talk about bad timing. I don't think it could get any worse than that.
Old 2008-03-16, 00:36   Link #113
Codine

I know its not hard to compare kanon and clannad but they're both very different types of animes. Personally i was looking for the drama aspect of Clannad which they could have put in but barely touched on any of it. Now that I look back it feels more like a comedy than anything else. My thoughts are still a little mixed as this series comes to an end. I was just expecting too much after Kanon. Either way its gona be disappointing not seeing these characters anymore after this ends =(

*hopes for season 2*
Old 2008-03-16, 02:44   Link #114
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Interesting to see this thread evolve into a bit of a Kanon discussion, because I can't help thinking about it watching this series. I know Clannad isn't intended to have the drama of Kanon, but even in that context I still feel something missing. What's really sets Kanon above Clannad, for me, is scope. Frankly, the main conflict of the main female character's arc in Clannad just doesn't feel all that profound - I mean really, so Mom and Dad gave up their career - what's the big deal? It's called being a parent. I like Nagisa and all, but the stuff that drove the plot in Kanon - especially Ayu's arc - had so much more weight to it that it's hard not to dismiss Clannad as fluff by comparison. Frankly, the most interesting character here is Sunohara and we rarely got to see more of him than as a punching bag.
I agree with all of this except for one thing, and that's that the most interesting character in all of this isn't Sunohara, it's Okazaki. But, nonetheless, he's another character that I think deserved more focus than he got. I mean, it's clear that his character has developed, and it's happened because of his relationship with Nagisa, but I wish they were a lot more explicit with how he deals with his problems. What I desperately wish for is that he gets his own arc, where his own problems are put on centre stage in the same way each of the main girls get their own arc. I realize Clannad hasn't been anywhere near as modular as Kanon, but I'm starting to think that the modular style might work best for stories like this. If nothing else, the modular style allows for incredible focus, with very little in the way of distractions.
Old 2008-03-16, 03:05   Link #115
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Comparing Kanon and Clannad, which is absurd to begin with, is further more absurd when you consider that the story isn't even concluded yet. You're basing the tale without After Story.

If you still want to make an absurd comparison between two animes with radically different themes and intentions, do so either after After Story is animated, or at least know the story in detail. At this point it is pointless and unfair.
Old 2008-03-16, 03:33   Link #116
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Even though many of you complain that some of the arcs were rushed, I feel like I know everything that needs to be known about Kyou/Ryou/Tomoyo, and that nothing is left out.
But KyoAni just had to tease us with Kyou's _____ in the Rain scene in the OP! I feel cheated as a Kyou fan(boy).

----------

Finally started seeding. My thoughts on this ep:

The pacing may be a little slow, but it was perfect IMO. Everything flowed well -- the assigning of roles, practicing, BGM selection, "let's work hard" pinky promise, rehearsal, Nagisa's nervousnes, and her discovery of her parents' past.

That insanely long tongue twister at the start really cought me off guard. It was pretty good though, with different voices fading in and out, moving left and right, and with Sunohara's frustration building up .

Why does my chest hurt at around 10:50+ (SS-Eclipse)? I'm not supposed to cry here, right? Just looking at all the thoughts and feelings that couldn't be conveyed through words + the beatiful BGM...

So it's the flashlight's fault... Make's me wonder why she had to get an old one from the shack, when she could've just brought some new batteries instead. Looking through it again, I guess the flashlight's bulb was broken, so it can't be helped.

My Rating: 9/10 + 1 for the step up in animation detail (Finally saw characters not involved in the active conversation blink, move, and make some gestures. This was very popular in SHnY, but got toned down a LOT in Kanon and Clannad.) = 10/10

Spoiler for big picture; random comment:

Spoiler for next episode random thoughts and questions:
Old 2008-03-16, 03:40   Link #117
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Comparing Kanon and Clannad, which is absurd to begin with, is further more absurd when you consider that the story isn't even concluded yet. You're basing the tale without After Story.

If you still want to make an absurd comparison between two animes with radically different themes and intentions, do so either after After Story is animated, or at least know the story in detail. At this point it is pointless and unfair.
Is it really? As much as we all want to see a second season, there's no absolute guarantee at this stage that After Story will be animated. There's been no official announcement.

The "apples and oranges" argument carries more weight than that argument. I can see why people would be against comparing Clannad and Kanon from the point of view that the philosophies and approaches that drive those two series are so different. On the other side of the coin, they also have their similarities, which is why I'm fine with comparing them, as long as the comparisons don't go too far to the point that they're unfair.

But to say that comparing the two anime is unfair because a component of the original source material is yet to be animated when it hasn't even been confirmed? We're comparing the anime, not the stories they were based on. After Story is kinda irrelevant to this particular comparison.
Old 2008-03-16, 06:07   Link #118
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Meh.. Clannad has a very weak main plot, it doesn't grip me the way Kanon has. If Nagisa's parents were depressed and constantly fighting and have a terrible family situation caused by the whole "giving up on their dreams" thing, then I can see her brooding over it... But, her family is full of affection, smiles and laughter, and that is the most important thing. Over exaggeration on her part. Oh well, the fan service of this episode made it better at least.
Old 2008-03-16, 09:46   Link #119
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I think people who are accussing Nagisa's guilt of being a case of over dramatization are kinda forgetting to factor in Nagisa's personality. When you are analyzing a situation from a psychological point of view it isn't all about factoring in the circumstances. The reaction to the same situation vary from people to people. We are all humans and we are all learning, and a guilt complex is not that uncommon for people who also have a degree of inferiority complex like Nagisa. Yes, she's slowly overcoming it, and you can see a great improvement from ep.1 to today's episode, but a miraculous and totally recovery would actually be detrimental to the story
Old 2008-03-16, 10:14   Link #120
FCS-31

If you want to summarize the whole story,please wait.

It is not over yet,and the most teary part is still in coming.

There is no doubt that kyoani will surely make AS.....as the interview during the past 4 mouth in magazine and video,and the bbs in japan have find a lot of evidence to porve the existance of AS.

Last edited by FCS-31; 2008-03-16 at 10:28.
Closed Thread