Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2019-10-04, 22:33   Link #101
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Emergency law is enacted to prevent people from using masks to hide the face, whether it’s a lawful protest or not.
For the first time since the 1967 Riots, I think. Naturally, rioting intensified in the aftermath of the announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
As much as you not being trustworthy of anything because of your pro-police bias when those ****s in uniform deserve to rot in jail by now. You and I, we're done.
As long as there are rioters on the streets terrorising people and destroying property, and as long as you continue to argue they have the "right" to do so, we're far from finished here. I suggest you mind yourself.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2020-04-05 at 00:12. Reason: Spelling
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 23:26   Link #102
Toukairin
Banned

Take a good look at this interview.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Cops are apparently making shedloads of money by working overtime and bashing people in the process. What a bunch of sick fucks, the whole lot.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 21:03   Link #103
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
NHK has an excerpt (short though) on the protest so far.

Quote:

Hong Kong's four-month-long street protests against the government saw the first shooting of a protester by police on Tuesday. The victim, an 18-year-old high-school student, was shot in the chest at close range but is expected to survive.

The demonstrations and clashes with police raged across the territory as Beijing celebrated 70 years of Communist Party rule with a massive parade and military display in Tiananmen Square.

Public unrest that began over a bill that would have allowed extradition of criminal suspects to the mainland is now a much broader pro-democracy movement against Beijing's expanding influence in Hong Kong affairs.

The protests have stepped up along with growing public anger against the police. Many in the former British colony have been critical of police violence in the crackdown, and some groups of protesters are responding in kind.

The difficulty for police is both psychological and a shortage of manpower. Hong Kong's chief of police has defended the shooting, saying it was unavoidable.

Professor Toru Kurata at Rikkyo University in Japan says Hong Kong authorities may have underestimated the number of extremists in the movement. He says this may have led police to think that a tough crackdown would lower tensions.

But as the number arrests have grown, more people have come out to support the protests.

In his address to the celebrations in Beijing on Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping said China would maintain the "one country, two systems" policy.

The people of Hong Kong, however, believe that policy meant to protect their autonomy is under threat.

While Beijing celebrates, Hong Kong protesters throw eggs at the image of Xi Jinping.

As the gap widens between perceptions in Beijing and Hong Kong, the leadership in China must find a way to contain a situation that risks spiraling into something much bigger.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-07, 01:36   Link #104
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ans what does Taipei have to say on the matter? The other China that is China but not China at the same time.
Old 2019-10-07, 09:16   Link #105
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've wondered about Taiwan's role in this myself. My guess is they see little advantage in siding with the protesters over Beijing.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-07, 19:02   Link #106
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

They do allow anyone to seek asylum though.

On a private capacity, some Taiwanese ship masks and other essentials to protest groups.

----

Got this SCMP vid:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2019-10-08, 00:52   Link #107
Toukairin
Banned

That woman is too thick to understand that future generations are getting f***ed because people like her have rolled over and don't give a shit about any better future anymore. She is the same as the bunch of people in that age range who voted for Trump in 2016 because they are stuck in some idealistic view of their world that does not exist anymore. Seriously, piss off for being either a coward or a person going with willful ignorance.

I know my words are extremely harsh, but they are far from wrong. If rolling over is the choice one makes in front of any form of injustice, then such decision is the equivalent of being complicit.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2019-10-08 at 01:26.
Old 2019-10-08, 20:03   Link #108
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

News is coming out that the HKPF announced the arrest of two people for violating the mask ban order a few days ago.

Old 2019-10-08, 21:41   Link #109
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

There's also the ongoing tangential shitshows with the NBA toeing the line to appease China over the Rocket's owner supporting HK protests (and Harden bowing down as well) and Activision-Blizzard firing an esport player and 2 commentators over similar HK support.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-08, 23:51   Link #110
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
There's also the ongoing tangential shitshows with the NBA toeing the line to appease China over the Rocket's owner supporting HK protests (and Harden bowing down as well) and Activision-Blizzard firing an esport player and 2 commentators over similar HK support.
Worse than shitshows; China are overstepping their marks here. If they don't like how people outside of China talk about them, they can always do what North Korea did: piss off and shut themselves away from the world. The Western world did fine without Eastern Europe, without Russia, and without communist Asians for decades during the Cold War. We can play that again.

Another tangential shitshow: China also banned the entire South Park franchise because the last episode was airing the dirty Chinese laundry out in the open with topics like brainwashing (related to internment camps, I guess), Disney bending over to censors, the NBA selling themselves out to China (that was 4 days before the incident with Darly Morey). One particular quote from that episode says it all about the shitshow that is China right now.

Quote:
You gotta lower your ideals of freedom if you wanna suck on the warm teat of China
Well, no, thank you. I will go suck the warm teat of an Indian woman instead. For the record, there is India next door who would be happy to be a bigger business partner to America and to Europe. At least, they elect democratic governments, and they don't have any geopolitical nor ideological grudge against the West.
Old 2019-10-09, 08:58   Link #111
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
We can play that again.
No, we can't. The world economy is too dependent on China today to try and isolate them like during the Cold War.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 11:41   Link #112
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

What would be a good move then? Buckling to China's will certainly isn't a long-term solution but I'm honestly not sure what's even realistically doable at this point.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 14:52   Link #113
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
What would be a good move then? Buckling to China's will certainly isn't a long-term solution but I'm honestly not sure what's even realistically doable at this point.
Redirect investments from China to India, slowly drying up the well. What people in the West and Japan need to understand is that, while China is too volatile because of their ideological positions and their temper tantrums in front of criticism, there is a huge growing market next door waiting to enjoy more upsides from trade with the West.

We can say a lot of shit about Modi as the current prime minister. But India, as a country, shares a lot more with the West than China does and they couldn't care less about territorial/imperialistic aspirations. Good thing that Barack Obama was starting to open that door in his second term, but more can be done on that front as leverage against China.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2019-10-10 at 00:39.
Old 2019-10-09, 18:11   Link #114
Key Board
Carbon

Blizzard manage to outdo the NBA's PR disaster, somehow

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 22:57   Link #115
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Blizzard manage to outdo the NBA's PR disaster, somehow

//
Yep, and the backlash from the Overwatch players' community is coming in quite the most unexpected way. Fans started posting images of Mei supporting the Hong Kong protests as a show of solidarity. Those are being shared and are getting viral on social media worldwide, like a meme machine.

Here is the Kotaku article about it. Many of those artworks and photoshopped pictures are really great art.
Old 2019-10-10, 00:24   Link #116
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
You'll have to consider where to invest, like what Toukarin alluded to with his India idea (I can call it an "idea", right?)

Basically, China's a big f*king economic powerhouse and unless something major happens, I don't think the world can easily ignore them aside from a few private initiatives of boycotting their goods.

Old 2019-10-10, 00:52   Link #117
aldw

Quote:
Worse than shitshows; China are overstepping their marks here. If they don't like how people outside of China talk about them, they can always do what North Korea did: piss off and shut themselves away from the world. The Western world did fine without Eastern Europe, without Russia, and without communist Asians for decades during the Cold War. We can play that again.

Another tangential shitshow: China also banned the entire South Park franchise because the last episode was airing the dirty Chinese laundry out in the open with topics like brainwashing (related to internment camps, I guess), Disney bending over to censors, the NBA selling themselves out to China (that was 4 days before the incident with Darly Morey). One particular quote from that episode says it all about the shitshow that is China right now.

Well, no, thank you. I will go suck the warm teat of an Indian woman instead. For the record, there is India next door who would be happy to be a bigger business partner to America and to Europe. At least, they elect democratic governments, and they don't have any geopolitical nor ideological grudge against the West.
Quite frankly, all the criticisms that the Anti-China folks keep spewing about are all mirror images of the very things they themselves actively perpetrate yet act as if China was the one holding ideological grudges. Indeed, as the Trotskyists have said before, the US MSM is an arm of the State Department in foreign affairs, and the totality of the hatedom being perpetrated by these ideologues is exactly what they wanted out of Ukraine towards Russia among other places. Well the non-Western folks ain't going to roll over to satisfy Western political aggrandizements and given the West's repeated track record in places like Syria, Iraq and Libya, it would be China and Russia leading the future rather than the US and its fellow travelers.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 02:08   Link #118
Toukairin
Banned

I don't know what the hell you're writing up here. I despise all dictators whether they are allies to the US or not. Duterte, Bolsonaro, Mohamed Bin Salman, Netanyahu, and Edrogan can all eat as much shit as Putin, Kim, and Xi Xinping deserve to eat. And don't get me started on Trump and Johnson, who are wannabe dictators.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2019-10-10 at 14:00.
Old 2019-10-11, 00:09   Link #119
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Blizzard's account deletion actually went down due to the number of people using it, which means it's a surprising lot.

Also there's a claim that they added extra profanity filters in recent updates that blocks any mention of HK.

If anything watch out for Blizzcon. It's definitely going to be interesting... for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2019-10-11 at 00:22.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-11, 15:33   Link #120
Key Board
Carbon

I expect a lot of pro hongkong flags and/or Winnie the Pooh outfits
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote